What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devon Wylie (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
Another guy I feel is being criminally underrated in rookie drafts.

Loved this guy since I saw him basically shred Nebraska's special teams. He has ridiculous RAC skills and cassell seems like the perfect QB to get him involved since he's worked with welled before. While daboll was in new englAnd before Welker emerged, they drafted Wylie with a purpose in mind. His value may be more suited for 2013 as he may need time to beat out breast on or Bowe to leave.

I am posting this from my phone or I would link YouTube videos. Feel free to post what you can find. Seems like an even more athletic Welker who packs power onto his little frame. Main roadblock could be injury

I grabbed him at 2.02 in one draft because I had to have him. Then watched with joy as he fell to me in the 4th round in another while I was trying to trade up from about 3.04 on to get him. Got him anyways. Mid 3rd or later and he is a steal

Last edited by a moderator:
I love watching him play, but like Broyles he's an older rookie (24) and has had trouble staying healthy. If he stays healthy he could be good but the injury concerns are why he lasted until the 4th.

this is what I am talking about- playmaking:

that play he makes at the 1:00 mark where he's surrounded by 4 guys and escapes is ridiculousthere are a ton of other links of this guy making ridiculous plays all over the field.

I love watching him play, but like Broyles he's an older rookie (24) and has had trouble staying healthy. If he stays healthy he could be good but the injury concerns are why he lasted until the 4th.
So what?
I think it makes a difference because we are comparing guys who range from 21 to 24, a range that is a big difference at that age. All things being equal I'll take the younger guy who has the potential to develop more. A couple of recent examples are Donnie Avery and Jordan Shipley, who were 24 and 25 respectively as rookies. On the other end you have Earl Bennett who despite not living up to expectations after 4 years only just turned 25 in March. It's pretty crazy that Broyles is only 11 months younger than Bennett, who seems to have been around forever.

And we see how much that's helped Bennett.

This simply makes no sense. If they can stay healthy an older rookie WR will still be around for 7-8 years.

It's about talent boys, nothing else matters.

Loved this guy since I saw him basically shred Nebraska's special teams. He has ridiculous RAC skills and cassell seems like the perfect QB to get him involved since he's worked with welled before. While daboll was in new englAnd before Welker emerged, they drafted Wylie with a purpose in mind. His value may be more suited for 2013 as he may need time to beat out breast on or Bowe to leave.

I am posting this from my phone or I would link YouTube videos. Feel free to post what you can find. Seems like an even more athletic Welker who packs power onto his little frame. Main roadblock could be injury

I grabbed him at 2.02 in one draft because I had to have him. Then watched with joy as he fell to me in the 4th round in another while I was trying to trade up from about 3.04 on to get him. Got him anyways. Mid 3rd or later and he is a steal
I too like Wylie a lot. But Dabol left NE with Mangini for NYJ before NE traded for Welker in the spring of 2007.

And we see how much that's helped Bennett.This simply makes no sense. If they can stay healthy an older rookie WR will still be around for 7-8 years.It's about talent boys, nothing else matters.
2011 (Redshirt Senior): Played in all 13 games, making five starts at wide receiver.2010 (Senior): Redshirted after suffering an injury early in the season.2009 (Junior): Led the team with four touchdown receptions through the first six games before an injury sidelined him for the next four games. He was also 2nd to Seyi Ajirotutu in yards and catches.2008 (Sophomore): Missed four games due to injuries
He wasn't even the star of the team (Jalen Saunders) and had one 1 TD (tied for 6th on the team) last year. There are question marks here but as a 4th round rookie pick, go for it.

I too like Wylie a lot. But Dabol left NE with Mangini for NYJ before NE traded for Welker in the spring of 2007.
That's what I meant when inside he was there before Welker emerged. Guess I wasn't specific, sometimes tough to type all those words on my kindle or phone

Fragile, probably a slot guy...there's a lot of those types. If he slips below the rest of them, yeah, snatch him up, but I can't imagine taking him before the 4th in an IDP dyno. He looks like he'll be more valuable in the NFL in a complimentary role than on fantasy teams.

'loose circuits said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
Underrated? I saw him go 2.03 in a recent rookie draft.
Are you talking about my pick or did someone else grab him that high? My assumption was that I was the only one who sees him even close to that type of value
Bloom likes him too. Not that well, but has him at #24 overall of his post draft 100. And once you get in the 2nd round hard to distinguish between perceived consensus value and a reach IMO - to me it is all a dice roll at that point.

'loose circuits said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
Underrated? I saw him go 2.03 in a recent rookie draft.
Are you talking about my pick or did someone else grab him that high? My assumption was that I was the only one who sees him even close to that type of value
Bloom likes him too. Not that well, but has him at #24 overall of his post draft 100. And once you get in the 2nd round hard to distinguish between perceived consensus value and a reach IMO - to me it is all a dice roll at that point.
I took him at 3.11 in my draft largely on Bloom's recommendation. Bloom is one of the best predictors of young WRs in particular. So when he is excited by a guy I take notice. It looks like a boom or bust pick, which I like with a late pick. He has great speed and agility, but can he stay healthy and can he find a role where he gets used a lot as a slot guy? I won't let him sit on my bench long; if he looks good in camp I'll wait, but otherwise, I will move him early in the year on FA wire. With a late rookie pick though you want high upside--because none of them are sure thing locks anyway at that point.

Just snagged him at 5.12 in a league, which seems criminally low. I think a lot of people are having trouble differentiating between the numerous slot receivers that came out in this year's draft, as there's a lot of variance from one league to the next.

These are the kinds of guys that, when you get them in the late 3rd and beyond, and they hit, its a mad increase in value, especially

in IDP leagues where people are burning some of the 4th and 5ths on safeties and DEs.

All a guy like this has to do is score a marginal amount of points and he is golden because, trust me, this guy IS going to look electric on the field, so if he can muster any kind of buzz at all he will stick in some people's minds. Again, an easy guy to see his value driven up.

I like him if you can get him late 3rd and beyond in regular leagues or even mid-3rd in larger leagues.

I'm holding him in at least three deeper leagues. It'll be interesting to see if Reid finds a role for him, but Reid also reportedly loves McCluster so who knows if there's even a role for him right now outside of special teams.

Reid seems to love speed though, so if Baldwin disappoints who knows. Doesn't seem like Wylie would be able to play outside though.

Hard time holding a spot for this guy :(Will he ever get his shot?
Had to finally let him go. There's still a chance but not only does he have to get playing time he has to stay healthy, something he's never done. I think you can probably find a better player roster at this point.

I'm going to hold on a little longer. I want at least one chance to see him get out there and make those "EEeeeee!!" plays that Bloom referenced last year. I think he can do it. I KNOW that every team in the league is looking for that Cobb/Harvin/Welker type of different player. It may be an odd correlation but perhaps the best chance Wylie may have to get on the field and do something might hing on if Tavon Austin gets out there and looks good.

When enough of these players start causing headaches for defense, the copycat NFL will have one on every team.

Hard time holding a spot for this guy :(Will he ever get his shot?
Had to finally let him go. There's still a chance but not only does he have to get playing time he has to stay healthy, something he's never done. I think you can probably find a better player roster at this point.
health is the big issue here. depending on who is on your WW that you could get (or who you can draft if its a rookie draft drop problem) i would try to hold through camp to see if he can stay healthy and see how the new regime uses/talks about him. Ability is no question at all, DURability on the other hand...

On a similar note, I am still holding Jacoby Ford in some leagues to see if he can discover how to stay healthy in time to take advantage of his athletic prime.

Own him in three leagues. One is a definite hold as I have the roster space. With the other two, I will wait until the final league roster cut-downs and will let him go then if there hasn't been any encouraging news out of training camp.

I'm holding him in at least three deeper leagues. It'll be interesting to see if Reid finds a role for him, but Reid also reportedly loves McCluster so who knows if there's even a role for him right now outside of special teams.Reid seems to love speed though, so if Baldwin disappoints who knows. Doesn't seem like Wylie would be able to play outside though.
Donnie Avery is also on the roster now as well.

Wylie had a little bit of a rough go at it on Saturday but playing on the outside and lining up against Sean Smith doesn't seem like his game. He's better in the middle of the field.

Users who are viewing this thread