What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez Bryant arrested (1 Viewer)

To what culture are you referring?Are you suggesting that, because his cultural background (whatever you mean by that) didn't teach him to respect others (let alone authority), that he should do as he pleases? I don't quite understand where you're going with this. And, you're going so far out of your way to crucify the mom here...by logical extension, shouldn't you extend her the same latitude you're giving to Dez?
Being a young black male from the projects. Its a vicious cycle and behavior is often repeated through generations i think its safe to assume Dez's mother came from a broken home as well. I realize its easy for most on this board who have had stable childhoods to sit back and pass judgements calling him dumb,and other derogoratoy names or stretch the truth about this incident. Id rather try to take a look at the whole picture.
...and excuse his behavior because he's black? And, please stop with the self-righteous "I see the whole picture" routine. Yeah, we all get it...he had it rough in childhood. I don't think you understand or see that with any greater sophistication than the rest of this on the board. The minute you start excusing all the stupid things he does by way of pointing to all the hardships he had growing up, the more you minimize the personal agency that an adult man with resources to advocate and support him beyond anything most of us can imagine should have...and it dismisses how those who grew up in similar "vicious cycles of behavior" to become fantastic human beings and model citizens. Again, even you used quite a bit of passing judgment and derogatory names to describe his mother...so, maybe you need to revisit your own premises on this.

The fact that his mother reported the incident to the authorities says a lot about what kind of a mother she is, which is obviously a direct result of the person he's become. Most people wouldn't hit their mother, and I'm willing to bet most mothers wouldn't report their sons to the authorities even if their son really did strike them.He's obviously got demons growing up, but we all know where those demons came from. You can avoid liquor and the nightclubs but it's kind of hard to avoid your head case mom. Obviously he might have to.
I agree here.

Maybe Bryant does have some of the blame, but as reports surfaced-there was no visual evidence that she was harmed, ie-no blood, bruises, scrathes.

You had a torn shirt and "swollen wrists"

My kids tear my shirt all the time roughhousing-they are 5 and 8. The swollen wrists could have been Dez getting hit, so he grabbed her wrists.

She called 911? And there were no physical marks? Why call the cops on your son.....? She sounds desperate for something-money, a fix, who knows.

All I know is :

Dez needs to separate himself from his crazy family.

Is he guilty of this domestic dispute-not sure yet. I think it looks weak right now

Is he guilty of dumb financial decisions-Hell yes.

And Never Trust a Junkie

"Dallas Cowboys WR Dez Bryant pulled his mother's hair and slapped her across the face "

betta get in thur and make me dat sammich

To what culture are you referring?Are you suggesting that, because his cultural background (whatever you mean by that) didn't teach him to respect others (let alone authority), that he should do as he pleases? I don't quite understand where you're going with this. And, you're going so far out of your way to crucify the mom here...by logical extension, shouldn't you extend her the same latitude you're giving to Dez?
Being a young black male from the projects. Its a vicious cycle and behavior is often repeated through generations i think its safe to assume Dez's mother came from a broken home as well. I realize its easy for most on this board who have had stable childhoods to sit back and pass judgements calling him dumb,and other derogoratoy names or stretch the truth about this incident. Id rather try to take a look at the whole picture.
...and excuse his behavior because he's black? And, please stop with the self-righteous "I see the whole picture" routine. Yeah, we all get it...he had it rough in childhood. I don't think you understand or see that with any greater sophistication than the rest of this on the board. The minute you start excusing all the stupid things he does by way of pointing to all the hardships he had growing up, the more you minimize the personal agency that an adult man with resources to advocate and support him beyond anything most of us can imagine should have...and it dismisses how those who grew up in similar "vicious cycles of behavior" to become fantastic human beings and model citizens. Again, even you used quite a bit of passing judgment and derogatory names to describe his mother...so, maybe you need to revisit your own premises on this.
Simm isn't "seeing the whole picture". He just sees Dez as a damaged childhood, excusing Dez's behavior with it. People have probably been doing that all of Dez's life, leaving him mired in a victim mentality.His past has contributed to his poor judgement and bad decision making but that doesn't mean he should be held to a lower standard than everyone else. The rotten childhood doesn't define who he is, it's just a source of challenges he needs to overcome.

There is nothing to excuse he did nothing wrong, just like at the mall. The first time Dez actually does something wrong i.e. shoots himself or somebody at the club, commits a DUI, etc. I stop defending him. The point im making is that Dez is a good human being not the thug who beats up his mom like others are trying to make him out to be.

It's amazing the length people will go to defend a guy they own/ like.
I dont think thats what we're seeing here. Im the first guy to say get rid of the loser, repeat offender, a-holes.But, the fact is, some people had really horrible upbringings. This is not an easy thing to overcome, and very hard for anyone not in the specific situation to comprehend.Did I have drug addicted parents? NO. I do have challenges related to family, that still cause me trouble as an adult. It can be very difficult.Now, I'm not making excuses at all, simply trying to understand why things are the way they are.Ultimately, its' up to the individual to break the pattern, otherwise they will end up repeating it in some ways.As a Cowboys fan, I'd love to see Dez get beyond his family problems and tear it up on the field. I'm not holding my breath.

...and excuse his behavior because he's black?

And, please stop with the self-righteous "I see the whole picture" routine. Yeah, we all get it...he had it rough in childhood. I don't think you understand or see that with any greater sophistication than the rest of this on the board. The minute you start excusing all the stupid things he does by way of pointing to all the hardships he had growing up, the more you minimize the personal agency that an adult man with resources to advocate and support him beyond anything most of us can imagine should have...and it dismisses how those who grew up in similar "vicious cycles of behavior" to become fantastic human beings and model citizens. Again, even you used quite a bit of passing judgment and derogatory names to describe his mother...so, maybe you need to revisit your own premises on this.
There is nothing to excuse he did nothing wrong, just like at the mall. The first time Dez actually does something wrong i.e. shoots himself or somebody at the club, commits a DUI, etc. I stop defending him. The point im making is that Dez is a good human being not the thug who beats up his mom like others are trying to make him out to be.
You state the bolded based on what?Even if you do not think that Dez is responsible for all the bad things that have happened around him, what makes him a "good" human being?

Also, ignoring everything else, how is Dez not responsible for never paying for the Jewelry he "bought"? I assume the Cowboys are not delinquent in paying him the money they owe him on his contract, so he should have available cash. How is this not viewed as stealing?

Michael Vick grew up in a "dog-fighting" culture. As a result, when he had the means, he ran a dog-fighting operation. he was arrested and spent two years in jail.

Since getting out of jail he has kept his nose clean, and is working hard to get better as a starting QB in the NFL. In his first full off-season of OTA's and training camp

as a starter since 2006, he apparently is the first one in the building and the last one to leave. He has apparently overcome his rough upbringing and the numbskull entourage

he got as a result of being rich and famous.

Dez needs to look at Michael Vick as an example before he ends up in jail. He needs to distance himself from his slacker friends and his dysfunctional family. Otherwise, at the rate he is going, he is going to be put in a situation where he does something to get himself put away.

I am surprised by some of the comments. Bottom-line is Dez showed poor judgement and it will cost him. If we coddled everyone who had a bad childhood/parenting those people would never grow. He needs to not allow his dysfunctional mother/childhood define him.....right now it is.

It's amazing the length people will go to smear a guy they dislike.
Fixed
You're both right. We all bring our biases into these discussions. The discussions regarding his upbringing are interesting. You can't say a person isn't shaped by their experiences. But I don't think that's something the Cowboys, Roger Goodell, or even fantasy owners can really take into consideration when making their decisions on what to do with the guy. Is he hopeless or will he eventually grow up? Your guess is as good as mine. :unsure:

It's amazing the length people will go to smear a guy they dislike.
Fixed
You're both right. We all bring our biases into these discussions. The discussions regarding his upbringing are interesting. You can't say a person isn't shaped by their experiences. But I don't think that's something the Cowboys, Roger Goodell, or even fantasy owners can really take into consideration when making their decisions on what to do with the guy. Is he hopeless or will he eventually grow up? Your guess is as good as mine. :unsure:
The only way this can be justified is if he was the only one who had a horrible upbringing, which obviously can't be done.Where there's smoke there's fire, it's really that simple. I have no horse in the race but lets not be silly here...he seems to always be doing something. With all the resources availible you would hear about any player getting into trouble-- he sticks out, why? because he keeps doing stupid ####. His personal advisor not to long ago was a damn bail bondsman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrested multiple times for selling crack cocaine and supplying false information, Angela Bryant was put on probation for 10 years back in 2009. http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/
The only witness-the brother in law, tweeted last night that Dez indeed did NOT hit his Mom.‏@DeonHattonFor who Eva listen to tha media my brother didnt hit our mother @DezBryant
Am I the only one who puts the above items together and thinks that everyone burying Dez here might be rushing things just a bit? :shrug:

Police say Dez Bryant assaulted his mother by slapping her across the face and pulling her hair.Source: Rebecca Lopez on TwitterJul 17 - 10:54 AM
Who slaps their mom. Thats really ####ed up.
Not condoning what he did in the least, but unless there was really some serious immediate danger, what kind of mom calls the police on her son?
The kind of mom that calls the police on her son is a mom that feels physically threatened or fears for her life. Who is to say that this was only time this has happened? Obviously we don't know if it was the first incident or not, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Considering Dez Bryants less than reputable past, he's not established a strong foundation for proving otherwise.The truth is in the middle somewhere i'm sure but there's absolutely no excuse for taking your hand to a woman who is physically inferior to you. That is unless your life or the life of someone else is in danger. I've not heard anything to substantiate Dez's life or anyone else he may have been defending was in danger.Momma may have a checkered past as well but it is what it is, which is a tall physically fit young man striking a physically inferior older women. There's not many ways to spin that one unless more information is presented and considered.The NFL network has been running a commercial urging young men to not strike woman. Maybe he should watch a bit more T.V.

Arrested multiple times for selling crack cocaine and supplying false information, Angela Bryant was put on probation for 10 years back in 2009. http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/
The only witness-the brother in law, tweeted last night that Dez indeed did NOT hit his Mom.‏@DeonHattonFor who Eva listen to tha media my brother didnt hit our mother @DezBryant
Am I the only one who puts the above items together and thinks that everyone burying Dez here might be rushing things just a bit? :shrug:
Well, yeah....she did it that time so now she is incapable of telling the truth, ever. Thanks for the link.OH, didnt Dez lie about something in college when it came to Deion? I guess we shouldnt believe him either...

Police say Dez Bryant assaulted his mother by slapping her across the face and pulling her hair.

Source: Rebecca Lopez on Twitter

Jul 17 - 10:54 AM
Who slaps their mom. Thats really ####ed up.
Not condoning what he did in the least, but unless there was really some serious immediate danger, what kind of mom calls the police on her son?
The kind of mom that calls the police on her son is a mom that feels physically threatened or fears for her life. Let me put it this way:

Who is to say that this was only time this has happened?

I don't know if it ever happened before. I never said it didn't.

Obviously we don't know if it was the first incident or not, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Considering Dez Bryants less than reputable past, he's not established a strong foundation for proving otherwise.

Has he ever been convicted of physical violence? Not that I know of.

The truth is in the middle somewhere

You are probably right. I never said who was at fault in this incident.

i'm sure but there's absolutely no excuse for taking your hand to a woman who is physically inferior to you. That is unless your life or the life of someone else is in danger. I've not heard anything to substantiate Dez's life or anyone else he may have been defending was in danger.

I agree, so let me put it this way:

Momma may have a checkered past as well but it is what it is, which is a tall physically fit young man striking a physically inferior older women. There's not many ways to spin that one unless more information is presented and considered.

1. She is only 14 years oldr than him, not an old lady. Hitting a woman is unacceptable in any circumstance but do not spin it to make your point.

2. At this point, this is all heresay. Its all he-said/she-said.

The NFL network has been running a commercial urging young men to not strike woman. Maybe he should watch a bit more T.V.
All that said, I think he has incredible talent and potential, but as an owner in a keeper league, I am going to try to move him and acquire someone like Julio Jones instead. The potential is there, even possible fr him to break out this year still, but I'm not sure I want the headache of following the tabloids every day.

This doesn't affect his play on the field, does it? I don't think he sees a suspension over this nor do I think Tony Romo will be less likely to throw him the ball. Carry on.

Well, yeah....she did it that time so now she is incapable of telling the truth, ever. Thanks for the link.OH, didnt Dez lie about something in college when it came to Deion? I guess we shouldnt believe him either...
She lied to the cops...Dez lied to the joke known as the NCAA.

Arrested multiple times for selling crack cocaine and supplying false information, Angela Bryant was put on probation for 10 years back in 2009.

http://www.rotoworld...s/nfl/football/
The only witness-the brother in law, tweeted last night that Dez indeed did NOT hit his Mom.

‏@DeonHatton

For who Eva listen to tha media my brother didnt hit our mother @DezBryant
Add to that the fact that the police didn't arrest him initially on Saturday and guess who would appear on the witness list for the defense. I'm with Bankerguy on this. I don't see how the prosecutor even thinks about pursuing this.

She lied to the cops...Dez lied to the joke known as the NCAA.
Both were lies.If you're playing the game he started then niether of them are believable.

This may be the biggest joke thread I've ever read in the football forum. Massive overeaction on the first page followed by some backtracking by a few who bother to wait for some facts to come out.

Dez has been busting his butt all offseason to get better at his job. Dez's mom is a crack addict....could it be that maybe Dez is trying to clean up his life and was trying to help his mom by telling her she was cut off? And what would a crackhead do if she knew she was being cut off from her money supply? You think she'd become a little desperate?

I'm waiting to hear what really happened before I condemn Dez.

(I've never owned Dez Bryant in a fantasy league.)

Yeah I was getting ready to post this before I saw this. It's like this post was ignored but let's believe everyhting the mother who has lied under oath has to say.

I understand the concern that he might not have beat up mom. Conflicting information at present.

That said, I don't understand at all the position that, if he did do it, it's not a big deal, that his other transgressions are unconcerning, and that he bears no fault anyway because of his ####ed up background.

I understand the concern that he might not have beat up mom. Conflicting information at present.That said, I don't understand at all the position that, if he did do it, it's not a big deal, that his other transgressions are unconcerning, and that he bears no fault anyway because of his ####ed up background.
I don't understand that either if he did do it. I do understand that his mother is more F'ed up then him though. So I will have to wait and see what went down now that the only eye witness has said Dez did not do it. :unsure:

She had swollen wrists and her clothes were torn.And yes, buying a ton of jewelry and then not paying for it is quite a bit different than losing one's home to foreclosure.
Borat so my understanding based on an earlier posting by Bankerguy is that when she initially made the report their were no noted injuries and the ripped clothes and swollen wrists were from 2 days later. Is this wrong? Because if this is the case I would tend to believe that she had a friend or self inflicted those wounds and torn clothes. Also when Dez heard he turned himself in not exactly the mastermind criminal people are making him out to be.
Again....not defending Dez, but more from a things that make you go hmmmmmm.Report filed Saturday, no injuries "reported or that were visible" at the time. Otherwise.... away Dez goes in cuffs right then.Sunday comes and goes with nothing further.Then, Monday rolls around and now there are visable injuries to the alledged attack. Dez surrenders as the police are forced to press charges as there was now a complaint and some visible injury. At present I have doubt this will be pursued by the D.A.
:goodposting: Dez is immature, the things that he's gotten in trouble with are nothing of this nature. He has an issue of not paying his bills....that's been his problem. No one taught him about responsibilities well if they did, he didn't listen. I don't ever believe I've heard or read of him assaulting anyone.He's been in trouble for not pulling his pants up for which he later made amends and he owed someone money and IIRC he's paid them. Never do I remember hearing of him physically do harm to anyone so it wouldn't surprise me if the allegations are false. His mother could be looking at charges if the allegations are in fact false which may be a good thing for Dez.Tex

I think the simple fact that this is a family issue gives Dez's innocence a little more credibility. Not saying he is or isn't completely innocent, the facts are still out there waiting to be found. But he's not out late at night with people he can easily cut off, getting drunk at nightclubs and getting in fights. These aren't typical anger issues he's dealing with like some other guys. It's his mom guys, it's not easy to cut family and CLEARLY there are issues with his mother. He's a millionaire and his crackhead mom knows it. It's just a really bad combination, this was bound to happen and I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time we hear about his mom. It's not that hard to see that this guy is just misguided, young, and still growing up but his mom is definitely compounding the problem.

Michael Vick grew up in a "dog-fighting" culture. As a result, when he had the means, he ran a dog-fighting operation. he was arrested and spent two years in jail.Since getting out of jail he has kept his nose clean, and is working hard to get better as a starting QB in the NFL. In his first full off-season of OTA's and training campas a starter since 2006, he apparently is the first one in the building and the last one to leave. He has apparently overcome his rough upbringing and the numbskull entouragehe got as a result of being rich and famous. Dez needs to look at Michael Vick as an example before he ends up in jail. He needs to distance himself from his slacker friends and his dysfunctional family. Otherwise, at the rate he is going, he is going to be put in a situation where he does something to get himself put away.
I have to add that Vicks turnaround has a lot to do with the organization that picked him up which helped point him the right direction. The Eagles are a well run, no bull#### type of organization. If Vick ended up, let's say, the Bengals, he would be back in jail.

Heard on ESPN that while Dez was at Oklahoma State, many of the coaches felt that his mom was an "ongoing concern" throughout his time there. Apparently she moved from Texas to Oklahoma and would be around the school and practices all the time. It was clear that they felt she was a bad influence and this was probably the biggest reason Dez fell in the draft. All those questions that Ireland was asking about his mom during the draft process were legitimate concerns for all teams.

Clearly she's latching onto him if she's just following him around, I wouldn't be surprised if their altercation had something to do with money. I wonder if we'll get more details about the incident.

'scrumptrulescent said:
This may be the biggest joke thread I've ever read in the football forum. Massive overeaction on the first page followed by some backtracking by a few who bother to wait for some facts to come out.

Dez has been busting his butt all offseason to get better at his job. Dez's mom is a crack addict....could it be that maybe Dez is trying to clean up his life and was trying to help his mom by telling her she was cut off? And what would a crackhead do if she knew she was being cut off from her money supply? You think she'd become a little desperate?

I'm waiting to hear what really happened before I condemn Dez.

(I've never owned Dez Bryant in a fantasy league.)
Whole lot of irony in your post.

Heard on ESPN that while Dez was at Oklahoma State, many of the coaches felt that his mom was an "ongoing concern" throughout his time there. Apparently she moved from Texas to Oklahoma and would be around the school and practices all the time. It was clear that they felt she was a bad influence and this was probably the biggest reason Dez fell in the draft. All those questions that Ireland was asking about his mom during the draft process were legitimate concerns for all teams.

Clearly she's latching onto him if she's just following him around, I wouldn't be surprised if their altercation had something to do with money. I wonder if we'll get more details about the incident.
You smokin' what Dez's mom is smokin'?There's obviously family problems, but Dez is equally to blame. Why would you just assume the bolded? From what she said on the 911 call, he wouldn't leave HER house, and made a comment that she's not putting up with his abuse anymore.

I personally don't think this incident was all that bad, considering their past culture, and that he didn't actually hit her with his hand. But if he has abused her in the past, even just smacking her with a hat, then Dez has some deep issues that just aren't going to end well.

You can blame mom all you want, and hell, she's obviously the reason he's so hood, but at some point a man has to man up and look at the road he's heading down and say enough is enough already. I don't see Dez doing that anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong, but the odds are probably against it.

Well, looks like I'm the only Cowboy fan troubled by Dez's behavior. Sigh.
I was taught years ago, if it doesn't effect/affect your family, money, or lively-hood don't let it effect/affect you.Go Cowboys!!! :football:
I bolded the right ones :) Affect - verb

Effect - result of something (can be used as a verb in some cases, but it's almost always not)
For example, the effect of being an ardent fan of a team often can affect one's ability to remain objective, particularly in regard to controversal matters.

Simm isn't "seeing the whole picture". He just sees Dez as a damaged childhood, excusing Dez's behavior with it. People have probably been doing that all of Dez's life, leaving him mired in a victim mentality.His past has contributed to his poor judgement and bad decision making but that doesn't mean he should be held to a lower standard than everyone else. The rotten childhood doesn't define who he is, it's just a source of challenges he needs to overcome.
And it isn't like he grew up in a cocoon where he was exposed to no other influences. How does a preacher's daughter get knocked up? Isn't she a product of her home and community?People hear numerous messages as they grow up. They choose which message they follow. Dez is responsible for his own choices.Now, it is possible his mom is making false claims. But if what she says is true, let's stop making excuses for Dez's behavior. It's not like he's never been told it's wrong to hit a woman. He just chose to ignore that voice and instead chose to listen to the one that says "do whatever you feel like doing". And he was listening to that same voice when he bought that jewelry, and when he chose not to pay for it, and so on and so on. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that society (and then the NFL) will punish you if you step out of line. So...

Well, You put the young man in a situation where he has millions of dollars, lots of fame, and tons of pressure to produce at an age where he may not be mature enough to handle it.

I am not saying this is an excuse for his behaviour, but I can see why people in this position get caught up in their own hype, think they're better than they really are, and have strained interpersonal relationships.

It's a sad statement on sport and our society in general, but I cant think of a way to fix the situation. If he does have problems controlling his temper I can only hope he (& his signfificant other) can get some councilling for this.

I know the media sometimes blows things out of proportion on these things, and maybe this is the case, but if it did go far enough for him to be arrested, I suspect some help is needed or he needs to date someone he will get along with.

I know that's easier said than done, but I hope he can resolve his issues before it becomes a bigger problem. He is a talented player, and I'd like to see him play on the field, and I dont wanna see him serving time for some senseless act of violence.

Full disclosure: I selected Dez in the 2nd round of a 32 team dynasty

He is an adult and responsible for HIS own actions. This incident is discouraging to say the least. Yes, it was between family and his mother isn't a great human being. If I were him, I would send my family $$ every month, but stay far away. This "kid" needs a mentor in the worst way as Deon has already walked away or Dez walked away from Deon. I hope someone in the Cowboys family can step up and help this troubled "kid" (I'm 42 so I will call him that).

Michael Vick grew up in a "dog-fighting" culture. As a result, when he had the means, he ran a dog-fighting operation. he was arrested and spent two years in jail.

Since getting out of jail he has kept his nose clean, and is working hard to get better as a starting QB in the NFL. In his first full off-season of OTA's and training camp

as a starter since 2006, he apparently is the first one in the building and the last one to leave. He has apparently overcome his rough upbringing and the numbskull entourage

he got as a result of being rich and famous.

Dez needs to look at Michael Vick as an example before he ends up in jail. He needs to distance himself from his slacker friends and his dysfunctional family. Otherwise, at the rate he is going, he is going to be put in a situation where he does something to get himself put away.
I have to add that Vick's turnaround has a lot to do with the organization that picked him up which helped point him the right direction. The Eagles are a well run, no bull#### type of organization. If Vick ended up, let's say, the Bengals, he would be back in jail.
As a Falcon follower, I have read all that is Vick over the years. If you asked Vick straight out- he would tell you the JAIL was the best thing for him and that Bryant would probably need the same thing to scare him straight. While Vick was with the Falcons it was known he was a slacker and faithful fans were not happy with the coaching staff and management/ ownership keeping such a loose leash on him during his tenure there. While Vick has been in great and deserved praise to the Philadelphia organization in their handling of his situation- he will tell you it had to come from his own will to turn himself around. Bryant has shunned most all mentoring help made public to date and part of this has to do with his environment and also can be attributed to his learning disabilities. Someone or thing needs to scare him straight at this point.....

Users who are viewing this thread