What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (2 Viewers)

As far as Lewis' injury history goes, over the course of his NFL career, Lewis has missed 61% of the games he would have been eligible to play in (he's played in only 38 games out of 96 regular season games since joining the league).

Apples to oranges comping his missed games versus Gronks. Players like Dion are far more likely to get deactivated if hurt or outright put on IR. What I can measure is surgeries and Gronk blows him away.

He currently is 4th on the RB depth chart. He is slated to be the Patriots kickoff returner. The Pats ponied up $6.4 million on Gillislee, $3.15 million in Burkhead, and gave White a $12 million extension. That's $21.5 million benchmarked for running backs not named Dion Lewis.
I both disagree that he is 4th on the depth chart and disagree with your entire process of slotting depth chart by salary. I don't disagree strongly so much as I think it's not set in stone. Burkhead in particular seems like a wildcard to me but again a point I'll keep making is none of these backs are very proven, other than White at his specific role.

Lewis has had 15 carries in a game 3 times, so it's not exactly like he's been a proven workhorse back. Only 5 games with 10+ carries (6 if we add a playoff appearance). At this point, I would suggest that Gillislee is the main back with Burkhead his back up. And White is the receiving back with Lewis the back up.
I never insinuated in the least that Dion was a workhorse but what I did say was that none of these backs are proven workhorses. Not the guy you suggest is the main back, his backup or the receiving back so to my point just because fantasy owners think their RB situation is crowded I don't see this team as necessarily in a position to give up any of those 4 RB's.

I also think Lewis has gotten in BB's doghouse . . . first with the injury issues and second with the delay in getting surgery. Then in how long it took to get back on the field. Add in the fumbles in the playoffs and I am not sure Lewis is in great shape as far as usage and role for NE.
I don't agree at all that he is in BB's doghouse,  most especially for getting injured. I think just the opposite, they value him so much but understand his health limitations so they will severely limit his usage in the season, at least while they can. So I see one thing we seem to agree on, I don't see much usage for him. I recall a report from several weeks ago that suggested 15-20 snaps a game and that seems about right, probably on the low end. That will make him close to a worthless fantasy asset, like around RB50'ish or so in PPR leagues and that's assuming on those limited snaps he's highly involved but point is a worthless fantasy asset.

So as someone who owns him in some places I'd actually love to see him traded or cut but that's just not what I think is going to happen. Mainly because the other 3 RB's have never carried much of a load,  when Dion has been healthy he's been impactful and he's cheap and the team does not need to clear his salary so holding him one more year in a limited role with possibly bigger role in post-season is easy for them to do if they want and I think that's exactly what they want and will do.

If this goes the way I think it goes my main dilemma will be if I think he's worth hanging onto in dynasty leagues in hopes that he finds better opportunity  in 2018 and if I think he'll be healthy enough to do anything with it if he gets it because while I think Gronk has a more extensive injury history no getting around the fact Dion is brittle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apples to oranges comping his missed games versus Gronks. Players like Dion are far more likely to get deactivated if hurt or outright put on IR. What I can measure is surgeries and Gronk blows him away.

I both disagree that he is 4th on the depth chart and disagree with your entire process of slotting depth chart by salary.

I never insinuated in the least that Dion was a workhorse but what I did say was that none of these backs are proven workhorses. Not the guy you suggest is the main back, his backup or the receiving back so to my point just because fantasy owners think their RB situation is crowded I don't see this team as necessarily in a position to give up any of those 4 RB's.

I don't agree at all that he is in BB's doghouse,  most especially for getting injured. I think just the opposite, they value him so much but understand his health limitations so they will severely limit his usage in the season, at least while they can. So I see one thing we seem to agree on, I don't see much usage for him. I recall a report from several weeks ago that suggested 15-20 snaps a game and that seems about right, probably on the low end. That will make him close to a worthless fantasy asset, like around RB50'ish or so in PPR leagues and that's assuming on those limited snaps he's highly involved but point is a worthless fantasy asset.

So as someone who owns him in some places I'd actually love to see him traded or cut but that's just not what I think is going to happen. Mainly because the other 3 RB's have never carried much of a load,  when Dion has been healthy he's been impactful and he's cheap and the team does not need to clear his salary so holding him one more year in a limited role with possibly bigger role in post-season is easy for them to do if they want and I think that's exactly what they want and will do.

If this goes the way I think it goes my main dilemma will be if I think he's worth hanging onto in dynasty leagues in hopes that he finds better opportunity  in 2018 and if I think he'll be healthy enough to do anything with it if he gets it because while I think Gronk has a more extensive injury history no getting around the fact Dion is brittle.
We all read tea leaves, and the leaves that I am reading show NE preparing to move on from Lewis. If they were planning on giving him a bigger role (READ AS: making him fantasy relevant), then they wouldn't have gone out and signed two backs for way more money and given White a nice tidy pay day. And teams generally don't relegate guys they have big plans for to kickoff returns (although I guess it has happened on occasion).

Yes, Lewis was productive . . . for a month and change two seasons ago. Sure, he's looked good at times when healthy, which hasn't been all that often. Who knows, maybe the other backs will get nicked up (always a concern) or not pan out (much less of a concern as far as I am concerned). I am not saying Lewis isn't talented or isn't a good player, only that his fantasy outlook at the moment isn't. He may be used in specific packages or situations, but I don't see him getting a lot of snaps or touches.

I firmly believe Lewis is partly in the doghouse, and I am not the only one saying that. Whether he will be afforded more opportunities or not will depend on a lot of moving parts (and other players). But for fantasy purposes I would rather have the other three backs in NE than Lewis this year. We can debate longer term than this year, but I am not so sure Lewis will stick with NE beyond this season.

We all read tea leaves, and the leaves that I am reading show NE preparing to move on from Lewis. If they were planning on giving him a bigger role (READ AS: making him fantasy relevant), then they wouldn't have gone out and signed two backs for way more money and given White a nice tidy pay day. And teams generally don't relegate guys they have big plans for to kickoff returns (although I guess it has happened on occasion).

Yes, Lewis was productive . . . for a month and change two seasons ago. Sure, he's looked good at times when healthy, which hasn't been all that often. Who knows, maybe the other backs will get nicked up (always a concern) or not pan out (much less of a concern as far as I am concerned). I am not saying Lewis isn't talented or isn't a good player, only that his fantasy outlook at the moment isn't. He may be used in specific packages or situations, but I don't see him getting a lot of snaps or touches.

I firmly believe Lewis is partly in the doghouse, and I am not the only one saying that. Whether he will be afforded more opportunities or not will depend on a lot of moving parts (and other players). But for fantasy purposes I would rather have the other three backs in NE than Lewis this year. We can debate longer term than this year, but I am not so sure Lewis will stick with NE beyond this season.
I've said how I feel and you as well and instead of rehashing and dissecting every thing we'll leave it at that.

But as I said earlier I don't see much opportunities for him this year which is why I'd rather he was cut or traded. On that there is nothing to debate as we both see it the same way. What appears to be the major difference in our opinion is I just don't think in any shape, form or way they are preparing to move on from him this year.

Lewis is a weapon when healthy so see no reason for pats to move on from him. Not sure what his salary is but doubt it's that high. They'll limit his touches for sure but can see him doing some damage when he matchup is right.

az_prof said:
He is a top ten back when healthy. Not healthy often. But hard to ignore his special talent.
I think it's not only easy to ignore, it's probably prudent. He had a moment, and people were saying "there's nobody else there that can do what he does", but afterwards, even when healthy, we haven't seen all that much. He's in an offense where any shifty pass catching back can have some nice games, which he did in early 2015. Happy I moved on.   

I think it's not only easy to ignore, it's probably prudent. He had a moment, and people were saying "there's nobody else there that can do what he does", but afterwards, even when healthy, we haven't seen all that much. He's in an offense where any shifty pass catching back can have some nice games, which he did in early 2015. Happy I moved on.   
I don't think any RB they had previously who played his role did it as well as he did as a runner/receiver, not before or since has a RB been as good a dual threat as he was when healthy. Better than Vereen, White and Faulk so not just another random pass catching NE RB and most of all I firmly believe he  bucked the trend of unpredictable NE RB's and was a sure thing lineup lock in PPR leagues. But it was indeed very short lived.

As for saying that  even when healthy you've not seen much I'd argue there has not been an "even when healthy" since his tore his ACL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since the Eagles drafted Lewis, he has teased fantasy owners.  He seemed like a nice fit behind Shady, the RB he followed at Pitt.  Lewis seemed on the verge of a breakthrough at Cleveland before he broke his fibula, then finally showed what he could do in a featured role for the Patriots.

Dion has had Barry Sanders-esque moments which leave you wondering "what if'.  But logic has always suggested that due to his size, Dion was best suited as a change-of-pace runner, not an every-down back.

Dion is a tireless worker, and I expect him to once again show off his elite skills once he hits the field for the Pats.  The Patriots will likely limit his touches.  He is not a traditional RB.  He is an offensive weapon who can frustrate defenses.  Just don't expect huge fantasy games on a regular basis.

Biggest factor is his health but it's worth noting the # of touches per game he's gotten when he can stay on the field

2015: 19, 13, 13, 14, 7, 11, and 8

2016: 8, 10, 9, 4, 20, 17, and 13

I did find it interesting that he was utilized much more as a pure running back in 2016 with limited receiving (in part due to the emergence of James White) but I can also see him firmly on the roster bubble as well with Brandon Bolden's ST ability being an X-Factor in how many RBs are kept.

Ever since the Eagles drafted Lewis, he has teased fantasy owners.  He seemed like a nice fit behind Shady, the RB he followed at Pitt.  Lewis seemed on the verge of a breakthrough at Cleveland before he broke his fibula, then finally showed what he could do in a featured role for the Patriots.

Dion has had Barry Sanders-esque moments which leave you wondering "what if'.  But logic has always suggested that due to his size, Dion was best suited as a change-of-pace runner, not an every-down back.

Dion is a tireless worker, and I expect him to once again show off his elite skills once he hits the field for the Pats.  The Patriots will likely limit his touches.  He is not a traditional RB.  He is an offensive weapon who can frustrate defenses.  Just don't expect huge fantasy games on a regular basis.
This is a great post.

Dion Lewis played into the second quarter of New England's preseason opener, rushing seven times for 32 yards.

He added four receptions for 23 yards. Lewis' extensive playing time was a bit surprising considering his injury history. It could be an indication he's fighting for his spot on the 53-man roster, though the Pats are dealing with a number of injuries in the backfield. Either way, Lewis looked good, running with a spring in his step. We'd guess Lewis will remain a Patriot come Week 1. Even in a crowded running back corps, his upside is too great.

Boston Herald's Jeff Howe reports multiple teams have reached out to "express interest" in trading for Patriots RB Dion Lewis.

Howe noted these teams have reached out throughout the duration of the offseason and most recently within the last week. While the Patriots aren't actively shopping Lewis, if a team gives them a good offer they have to consider it. Lewis played just six snaps in their Week 1 game, fourth among Patriots running backs.

Source: Jeff Howe on Twitter 

Sep 9 - 9:22 AM

Anybody else in dynasty having a hard time dropping this guy?  I look at him on the roster every Tuesday and it's so hard to click!  Those trade talks from two weeks ago renewed my interest....

Anybody else in dynasty having a hard time dropping this guy?  I look at him on the roster every Tuesday and it's so hard to click!  Those trade talks from two weeks ago renewed my interest....
I am still holding in dynasty, but admittedly, if anything exciting shows up on the waiver wire, I would consider letting go.  At some point this season, Lewis may have a breakout game (unfortunately, he will be on your bench), and even then it will be difficult to trust going forward that (a) Belichick will give Lewis consistent touches, and (b) Lewis will be able to withstand a heavy workload.  At best, barring a barrage of injuries ahead of him, Lewis becomes a high-upside, basement-floor bye week filler.  At worst, he takes up a valuable roster spot on your dynasty team and never cracks your starting lineup.  I believe in his talent, which is why I am still holding Lewis, but I have little confidence we will ever see Lewis' talent truly translate to any prolonged production on the football field.

I am still holding in dynasty, but admittedly, if anything exciting shows up on the waiver wire, I would consider letting go.  At some point this season, Lewis may have a breakout game (unfortunately, he will be on your bench), and even then it will be difficult to trust going forward that (a) Belichick will give Lewis consistent touches, and (b) Lewis will be able to withstand a heavy workload.  At best, barring a barrage of injuries ahead of him, Lewis becomes a high-upside, basement-floor bye week filler.  At worst, he takes up a valuable roster spot on your dynasty team and never cracks your starting lineup.  I believe in his talent, which is why I am still holding Lewis, but I have little confidence we will ever see Lewis' talent truly translate to any prolonged production on the football field.
Have the No. 1 waiver right now.  Debating on dumping Lewis to pick up Buck Allen...but I am finding it very hard to pull the trigger.  If this guy was on a RB starved team like the Eagles (which, coincidentally he was at one point his career) he's at least a high end RB2 and probably a RB1 in PPR.

I am still holding Lewis in dynasty because we know his talent is such that if he gets a chance in NE or if they trade him and he gets a chance to start, he can instantly become a RB1.  Not too many backups offer that upside.  Obviously there is the risk that he doesn't get that chance this year but I am confident that if not now then next year he will.

I think he would be a dynamite fit if he went back to Philly, but alas, trades do not happen that often and Lewis's chance will probably have to wait until next year.

Doubt he's traded this year. I suspect Belicheck values him more as a backup and role player to spell James White than the 4th-7th rounder that would be offered. If White goes down, Dion's a $100 bid, but may be worthless until.

Doubt he's traded this year. I suspect Belicheck values him more as a backup and role player to spell James White than the 4th-7th rounder that would be offered. If White goes down, Dion's a $100 bid, but may be worthless until.
Probably not, but Burkhead could also step in for White. Lewis may thus be expendable, but yes, a low round draft pick may not be worth it to lose that depth.

Ya, and I own White too so maybe that's reason to stash...

I am still holding Lewis in dynasty because we know his talent is such that if he gets a chance in NE or if they trade him and he gets a chance to start, he can instantly become a RB1.  Not too many backups offer that upside.  Obviously there is the risk that he doesn't get that chance this year but I am confident that if not now then next year he will.
Thanks, that's basically where I'm at and glad I'm not alone.

I don't know that I have ever seen a player that had a 7 week run, back in 2015, elevate his status so much.

Patriots sent out bogus trade talk info trying to get someone to bite, hoping to upgrade a late round pick.

The guy has no value.

I was confused as to people who said they were "all in" on Dion Lewis.

The year Lewis blew up ... White was neck and neck with him in training camp.

Lewis ended up edging out White for the job. After getting hurt, White took over, gained experience and more importantly ... the confidence of Brady and the coaches.

White tore it up in the SB. Very well could have been the SB MVP. White is in the drivers seat and he's not going anywhere for a while. Lewis can be safely dropped imo.

I was confused as to people who said they were "all in" on Dion Lewis.

The year Lewis blew up ... White was neck and neck with him in training camp.

Lewis ended up edging out White for the job. After getting hurt, White took over, gained experience and more importantly ... the confidence of Brady and the coaches.

White tore it up in the SB. Very well could have been the SB MVP. White is in the drivers seat and he's not going anywhere for a while. Lewis can be safely dropped imo.
I'm not someone who is "all in" on him. Acquired him in a single league for dirt cheap while he was injured. So yes, I've got a dog in this fight, but I've go so little skin the game that I feel I can be unbiased. I genuinely don't understand why White gets touches over Lewis. Lewis looks electric when he touches the ball and can surprisingly run between the tackles pretty well in addition to his obvious pass catching skills. Lewis also has obvious pass catching skills, but is below JAG level as a runner, thus limiting the effective plays that can be called when he's in the game. So what's the motivation for using White over him? I really don't get it. They kind of remind me of the Abdullah/Riddick combo (one guy can run+catch, one guy can only catch), except if Abdullah was straight up riding the bench...

Disagree, we absolutely do not know this. Based on what, exactly, his lengthy history as a RB1?

If white were to get hurt, it kind of seems like Burkhead would probably see the big increase in role maybe not Lewis? 

I'm not someone who is "all in" on him. Acquired him in a single league for dirt cheap while he was injured. So yes, I've got a dog in this fight, but I've go so little skin the game that I feel I can be unbiased. I genuinely don't understand why White gets touches over Lewis. Lewis looks electric when he touches the ball and can surprisingly run between the tackles pretty well in addition to his obvious pass catching skills. Lewis also has obvious pass catching skills, but is below JAG level as a runner, thus limiting the effective plays that can be called when he's in the game. So what's the motivation for using White over him? I really don't get it. They kind of remind me of the Abdullah/Riddick combo (one guy can run+catch, one guy can only catch), except if Abdullah was straight up riding the bench...
Lewis was once slightly more elusive but seems he's lost a step since his return from the injury. White has almost exactly the same skill set.

Maybe they're easing Lewis back into action or maybe they're saving Lewis for the playoff run ...

but after seeing White have 8 receptions on 8 targets Sunday, I believe BB has found his guy in White and Lewis is firmly behind him on the depth chart.

Users who are viewing this thread