What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney admission for toddlers (1 Viewer)

When do you start paying the admission price for toddlers over 2 years old?

• As soon as they hit their 3rd birthday

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • As long as they can reasonably pass for a 2 year old

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • I stick my 8 year old in a stroller and put a blanket over him

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

RJS113

Footballguy
Disney (and other theme parks) are free for kids 2 and under. Kids 3 and up are almost the same price as adults. I’m just curious at what point do most parents stop trying to pass their kids as 3 for the free admission. 

We took my son to Disney for his 3rd birthday (so he’d been 3 for a few days when we were there), and didn’t pay for admission.  But he’s big for his age, so that’ll be the last time we try getting him in for free. 

Voted for as soon as they hit their 3rd birthday. My wife and I are weird like that. 

As a matter of fact, just last night my wife realized she didn't pay for a pair of socks she got at Target. Drove back to Target with my son to pay for a pair of socks that cost a buck. Gotta set an example and all that....

I would have done the same thing.  

Trick question.  Don't bring toddlers to Disneyland.  You end up miserable and the kid ends up miserable.  Too many people, lines it just ends up being a miserable day.  Wait until they can walk on their own for the entire day without the need for a stroller and can understand what is going on.  They will be much happier and you will be much happier and the people around you will be much happier.

Trick question.  Don't bring toddlers to Disneyland.  You end up miserable and the kid ends up miserable.  Too many people, lines it just ends up being a miserable day.  Wait until they can walk on their own for the entire day without the need for a stroller and can understand what is going on.  They will be much happier and you will be much happier and the people around you will be much happier.
Have gone with toddlers many times.  The trick is to get Fast Passes for whatever park you are going to in the evening,  get to your morning park 30 min ahead of rope drop,  ride the most popular rides until 11:30 or so,  leave the park, grab quick lunch as you're leaving the park or at your resort.  Go to the pool, take a nap, etc.  Leave resort at 4:00-4:30 and head to the park you're going to in the evening.  Use your Fast Passes and go to shows/less popular attractions.  Leave around 7:00 and grab dinner then go to bed.  If you're staying for the evening fireworks then grab some food and eat while you wait for the parade.

we never had to worry about it, both kids were either very under or very over when we went. But I did have my daughter on the kids dining plan when she was supposed to be on the adult..no one batted an eye at it.

Just curious, how do they actually try and enforce this if they know/believe kids are older? My 2 year old has a passport but we wouldn't be bringing that on a trip to Disney. 

Do they look at a 4 year old and say there's no chance that kid is 2, pay the admission or show us a birth certificate that says otherwise?

Just curious, how do they actually try and enforce this if they know/believe kids are older? My 2 year old has a passport but we wouldn't be bringing that on a trip to Disney. 

Do they look at a 4 year old and say there's no chance that kid is 2, pay the admission or show us a birth certificate that says otherwise?
From my experience they do not police it very closely.   If you have a normal sized 3 year old there isn't going to be a problem but if you try passing a 4 or 5 year old as being under 3 they are going to politely point you to customer service.

Godsbrother said:
Have gone with toddlers many times.  The trick is to get Fast Passes for whatever park you are going to in the evening,  get to your morning park 30 min ahead of rope drop,  ride the most popular rides until 11:30 or so,  leave the park, grab quick lunch as you're leaving the park or at your resort.  Go to the pool, take a nap, etc.  Leave resort at 4:00-4:30 and head to the park you're going to in the evening.  Use your Fast Passes and go to shows/less popular attractions.  Leave around 7:00 and grab dinner then go to bed.  If you're staying for the evening fireworks then grab some food and eat while you wait for the parade.
As far as I know you don't get to pick the time that your fast passes are good for.  You sign up for the fast pass and it assigns you a time based on the number of fast passes given out to date and the time it is good for continues to shift.  You have no say on when the fast pass is valid.  It gives you a 1 hr window to use it.

The money you need to spend to bring a family to Disneyland is huge so I wouldn't want to waste time away from the park if I am paying to be at the park.  The go in the morning, go back for a nap, and go back in the evening seems like a good idea and could work better but it is wasting a lot of money as you don't maximize your time in the park for the price you have to pay.  Kids that young won't even remember it anyway so I have found it much better to just wait until they are older and avoid the frustration all together. 

From my experience they do not police it very closely.   If you have a normal sized 3 year old there isn't going to be a problem but if you try passing a 4 or 5 year old as being under 3 they are going to politely point you to customer service.
Not even

My wifes aunt had annyal passes. She would brag that she brought her 8 year old in a stroller all the time and didn't pay for him. 

As far as I know you don't get to pick the time that your fast passes are good for.  You sign up for the fast pass and it assigns you a time based on the number of fast passes given out to date and the time it is good for continues to shift.  You have no say on when the fast pass is valid.  It gives you a 1 hr window to use it.

The money you need to spend to bring a family to Disneyland is huge so I wouldn't want to waste time away from the park if I am paying to be at the park.  The go in the morning, go back for a nap, and go back in the evening seems like a good idea and could work better but it is wasting a lot of money as you don't maximize your time in the park for the price you have to pay.  Kids that young won't even remember it anyway so I have found it much better to just wait until they are older and avoid the frustration all together. 
He is talking about Disneyworld. You are correct about the fastpasses at DL

ChiefD said:
Voted for as soon as they hit their 3rd birthday. My wife and I are weird like that. 

As a matter of fact, just last night my wife realized she didn't pay for a pair of socks she got at Target. Drove back to Target with my son to pay for a pair of socks that cost a buck. Gotta set an example and all that....

I would have done the same thing.  
You're a good man.

If there's a stroller that fits me, I'd try to be 2 years old with the prices there now.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-toddler-focused-disneyland-trip/

You know those people who tell you not to visit Disneyland until kids are “old enough to remember it”? Ignore them. If you wait too long, you’ll miss the magic.

I’ve taken children ages 5 months  to 17 years to Disneyland over the years, with one brave day including 5 children on my own. It was chaotic, stressful at times, and worth every bit of effort.

My favorite age group to take to the parks is from around 2-5 years old for a variety of reasons. Kids in this age group really believe in the magic and embrace so much of what I love about Disneyland.

I have seen a vast majority of people with toddlers "enjoying" the frustration of hot days, too many people, crying, tantrums, etc that eventually come at the happiest place on earth.  You can pull off the "magic" if you are willing to pay obscene money to stay for minimal hours and see a minor portion of the park.  If you are ok with that then by all means go for it.  In my observational experience (as I didn't bring my kids to Disneyland until they were 7-ish) everyone I see with kids in strollers seem to be having an overall miserable experience. 

I had a great time when I finally took my kids and they still talk about their experiences today many years after.  They are fond memories for everyone to remember.  I doubt many 1-2 yr olds will remember that time they waited in line for 90 minutes to get a picture with Mickey (if you were able to find where he was that day) as they burst into tears because they were not allowed to run around because there were too many people around to be free. 

To each their own.  I just never wanted my kids (and myself) to be utterly frustrated because they were too young to understand why they had to stay still and wait in a line for 90 minutes. 

I had a great time when I finally took my kids and they still talk about their experiences today many years after.  They are fond memories for everyone to remember.  I doubt many 1-2 yr olds will remember that time they waited in line for 90 minutes to get a picture with Mickey (if you were able to find where he was that day) as they burst into tears because they were not allowed to run around because there were too many people around to be free. 

To each their own.  I just never wanted my kids (and myself) to be utterly frustrated because they were too young to understand why they had to stay still and wait in a line for 90 minutes. 
As long as you don't overdo it you can have a great time with toddlers.   As far as memories go you are right:  smaller children won't remember it as they get older but they have a great time while they are there and my wife and I remember it.  It is kinda like anything you do with toddlers, whether you take them to the beach, a ballgame, Chuck E Cheese, etc.   If you only take a 3 year to things they will remember then you won't be taking them anywhere.

As long as you don't overdo it you can have a great time with toddlers.   As far as memories go you are right:  smaller children won't remember it as they get older but they have a great time while they are there and my wife and I remember it.  It is kinda like anything you do with toddlers, whether you take them to the beach, a ballgame, Chuck E Cheese, etc.   If you only take a 3 year to things they will remember then you won't be taking them anywhere.
I am not saying don't take them anywhere. I am only saying I would rather save the obscene amount of money that Disneyland requires until you can get a full day experience.  There are plenty of other things you can take a toddler to that will be just as fun and magical to the kid that doesn't involve being packed in lines like sardines.  

I am not saying don't take them anywhere. I am only saying I would rather save the obscene amount of money that Disneyland requires until you can get a full day experience.  There are plenty of other things you can take a toddler to that will be just as fun and magical to the kid that doesn't involve being packed in lines like sardines.  
If you know what you're doing this won't happen.  Take it from someone that has been to Disneyworld many, many times.

If you know what you're doing this won't happen.  Take it from someone that has been to Disneyworld many, many times.
I disagree with this.  I have been to Disneyland many, many times as well.  I have gone midweek during the school year, weekends, when it's raining and when its 100+.  The place is always wall to wall people.  Sometimes you can breath and the lines are 20-30 minutes and sometimes you cannot move 5 feet without bumping into someone and the lines are 90+ minutes.  But regardless there are wall to wall people and trying to navigate with a stroller and all the kid accessories leads to a miserable day.

I am sure there are exceptions and you might get lucky and it's one of the somewhat slower day but the price is so high it's not worth it to me to take that chance.

I disagree with this.  I have been to Disneyland many, many times as well.  I have gone midweek during the school year, weekends, when it's raining and when its 100+.  The place is always wall to wall people.  Sometimes you can breath and the lines are 20-30 minutes and sometimes you cannot move 5 feet without bumping into someone and the lines are 90+ minutes.  But regardless there are wall to wall people and trying to navigate with a stroller and all the kid accessories leads to a miserable day.

I am sure there are exceptions and you might get lucky and it's one of the somewhat slower day but the price is so high it's not worth it to me to take that chance.
I've only been to Disneyland many years ago once so I'll defer to you on that.  At Disneyworld it is easy to avoid long lines if you know what you are doing and you're willing to arrive at the parks before rope drop.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-toddler-focused-disneyland-trip/

You know those people who tell you not to visit Disneyland until kids are “old enough to remember it”? Ignore them. If you wait too long, you’ll miss the magic.

I’ve taken children ages 5 months  to 17 years to Disneyland over the years, with one brave day including 5 children on my own. It was chaotic, stressful at times, and worth every bit of effort.

My favorite age group to take to the parks is from around 2-5 years old for a variety of reasons. Kids in this age group really believe in the magic and embrace so much of what I love about Disneyland.

This was part of our experience at Disney World.  We went when our daughter was three, and she just completely lit up five minutes in when we saw Minnie and Daisy near the entrance.  It took all of her not to go cut in front and hug them right away.

She was six the next time we went.  I can't even remember who the first character we saw was, but the first thing she said when walked over to them was, "They must be really hot in that costume."  :(

Users who are viewing this thread