What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dissension in the ranks (1 Viewer)

Sorry, didn't realize it was posted in the Rodgers thread.
That's ok, it probably deserved it's own thread.
:goodposting: It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.Anyway, given all that has come out in the last few days, Favre continues to hurt his own legacy. There were reports that he didn't like being called into the "principal's office" by Mangini to be chastised for bad decisions, but on the other hand, he didn't like being called out for them in front of his teammates, either.Translation: Favre thinks he is above criticism/coaching now. That is how it sounds. He thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and not have to answer for it, if things don't go well. That is a terrible attitude to have, and as a veteran, Favre should know better than that. I think, at this point, Favre will retire for good. He obviously isn't going back to Green Bay, he won't want to start over with another new team again, and it sounds like some of the Jets are not wild about having him back. Sad to see one of the best QBs ever go out like this, but it is what it is.

:goodposting: It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.Anyway, given all that has come out in the last few days, Favre continues to hurt his own legacy. There were reports that he didn't like being called into the "principal's office" by Mangini to be chastised for bad decisions, but on the other hand, he didn't like being called out for them in front of his teammates, either.Translation: Favre thinks he is above criticism/coaching now. That is how it sounds. He thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and not have to answer for it, if things don't go well. That is a terrible attitude to have, and as a veteran, Favre should know better than that. I think, at this point, Favre will retire for good. He obviously isn't going back to Green Bay, he won't want to start over with another new team again, and it sounds like some of the Jets are not wild about having him back. Sad to see one of the best QBs ever go out like this, but it is what it is.
I don't know if this is true, but it's starting to look like he's more concerned with keeping that streak alive, knowing that Peyton Manning might break it.

"If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it," Rhodes said. "But don't come back if it's going to be half-hearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

This pretty much sums Favre up at this point in his career.

It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.
Whining deserves to be discussed?Blame the right people Thomas like those who repeatedly called passing plays on 3rd and 1.

:goodposting: It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.

Anyway, given all that has come out in the last few days, Favre continues to hurt his own legacy. There were reports that he didn't like being called into the "principal's office" by Mangini to be chastised for bad decisions, but on the other hand, he didn't like being called out for them in front of his teammates, either.

Translation: Favre thinks he is above criticism/coaching now. That is how it sounds. He thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and not have to answer for it, if things don't go well. That is a terrible attitude to have, and as a veteran, Favre should know better than that.

I think, at this point, Favre will retire for good. He obviously isn't going back to Green Bay, he won't want to start over with another new team again, and it sounds like some of the Jets are not wild about having him back. Sad to see one of the best QBs ever go out like this, but it is what it is.
Hasn't this been going on pretty much ever since Holmgren left way back when? Each successive coach (with the exception, to a degree, of McCarthy) has treated him with kid gloves because of how he performed in the past, and Favre has turned into a diva as a result. If he's got a coach who holds his feet to the fire, he performs well, but left to his own devices he makes bad decisions out of frustration, hurting the team.It's the main reason, for me, that he shouldn't be involved in the GOAT conversations. Gaudy numbers do not the best of all time make........

:goodposting: It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.

Anyway, given all that has come out in the last few days, Favre continues to hurt his own legacy. There were reports that he didn't like being called into the "principal's office" by Mangini to be chastised for bad decisions, but on the other hand, he didn't like being called out for them in front of his teammates, either.

Translation: Favre thinks he is above criticism/coaching now. That is how it sounds. He thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and not have to answer for it, if things don't go well. That is a terrible attitude to have, and as a veteran, Favre should know better than that.

I think, at this point, Favre will retire for good. He obviously isn't going back to Green Bay, he won't want to start over with another new team again, and it sounds like some of the Jets are not wild about having him back. Sad to see one of the best QBs ever go out like this, but it is what it is.
For a long long time I've felt like Favre truly doesn't understand the cost of an interception. He just never has grasped it. Instead, he views it as part of the necessary cost of taking risks to win games. Unfortunately, he no longer has the skills to overcome the turnovers caused by his gunslinging mentality, yet he refuses to adjust accordingly. He is clearly THE reason the Jets missed the playoffs. A more measured approach and they'd be in.

Someone should tell TJ who Brett Favre backup is?

Tough to say that Kellen Clemons would have done better than Favre in that situation.

I don't know if this is true, but it's starting to look like he's more concerned with keeping that streak alive, knowing that Peyton Manning might break it.
I never thought about that. I can't see that being a motivation for him continuing to come back, though. Probably more of a perk. :rolleyes:
Hasn't this been going on pretty much ever since Holmgren left way back when? Each successive coach (with the exception, to a degree, of McCarthy) has treated him with kid gloves because of how he performed in the past, and Favre has turned into a diva as a result. If he's got a coach who holds his feet to the fire, he performs well, but left to his own devices he makes bad decisions out of frustration, hurting the team.
:goodposting: It makes you wonder what Favre's career would look like right now had Holmgren not left for Seattle. Holmgren is the one coach he has had who rode him about decision-making and such.
For a long long time I've felt like Favre truly doesn't understand the cost of an interception. He just never has grasped it. Instead, he views it as part of the necessary cost of taking risks to win games. Unfortunately, he no longer has the skills to overcome the turnovers caused by his gunslinging mentality, yet he refuses to adjust accordingly. He is clearly THE reason the Jets missed the playoffs. A more measured approach and they'd be in.
I am not sure I would say he is THE reason they missed the playoffs, but his play down the stretch sure didn't help. However, the coaching staff abandoned the run way too quickly in some of those losses late in the season.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones told Hot 97 FM. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team. So when you get to the wire and somebody is just giving the game up, I mean, it's just not [fair]."
Meanwhile TJ had 10 carries for 23 yards vs. Miami. He should have pulled himself and asked them to put Leon Washington in. Man should just keep his mouth shut.

It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.
Whining deserves to be discussed?Blame the right people Thomas like those who repeatedly called passing plays on 3rd and 1.
Who else is there to blame for the 3 ints that TJ is talking about?
I think the point is that the coaching staff called too many passing plays and not enough runs, especially in situations where using the AFC's rushing leader would have been more ideal than having a QB who was clearly in a decline (and apparently hurt) throwing it all over the lot. Note that I am not necessarily talking about the Miami game, where Jones struggled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who else is there to blame for the 3 ints that TJ is talking about?
I think the point is that the coaching staff called too many passing plays and not enough runs, especially in situations where using the AFC's rushing leader would have been more ideal than having a QB who was clearly in a decline (and apparently hurt) throwing it all over the lot. Note that I am not necessarily talking about the Miami game, where Jones struggled.
I can agree with that.

Hopefully, when Favre hears even his own team mates don't want him back... he'll take the hint. Sure, Clemens is not likely the answer, but would he have thrown 9 INT's in the last 5 games? Besides, Clemens has never played behind a decent O line, the Jets O line was one of the very worst in the NFL in 2007. Time to move on already. A failed experiment.

You can't pull a quarterback the same way you can pull a left tackle. Sure, Favre sucked at the end (that screen pass for a Miami TD looked like Favre was throwing the game) but Clemens would have likely been horrific having sat on the bench all year combined with still pretty questionable skills.

Wasn't Thomas Jones the one who ratted Benson out for leaving the sidelines? Seems like Thomas Jones is a tattle tale.

I never thought about that. I can't see that being a motivation for him continuing to come back, though. Probably more of a perk. :P
Hasn't this been going on pretty much ever since Holmgren left way back when? Each successive coach (with the exception, to a degree, of McCarthy) has treated him with kid gloves because of how he performed in the past, and Favre has turned into a diva as a result. If he's got a coach who holds his feet to the fire, he performs well, but left to his own devices he makes bad decisions out of frustration, hurting the team.
:goodposting: It makes you wonder what Favre's career would look like right now had Holmgren not left for Seattle. Holmgren is the one coach he has had who rode him about decision-making and such.

I am not sure I would say he is THE reason they missed the playoffs, but his play down the stretch sure didn't help. However, the coaching staff abandoned the run way too quickly in some of those losses late in the season.
Holmgren's career as a coach too. If these two had stayed together I think both would have been better off.

That's all he's been interested in for the past 5 or so seasons anyway. At least we know he has one record that will never be broken.

That's all he's been interested in for the past 5 or so seasons anyway. At least we know he has one record that will never be broken.
So you don't think Peyton Manning can break his consecutive game streak?

So you don't think Peyton Manning can break his consecutive game streak?
Sure he can

;) It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.Anyway, given all that has come out in the last few days, Favre continues to hurt his own legacy. There were reports that he didn't like being called into the "principal's office" by Mangini to be chastised for bad decisions, but on the other hand, he didn't like being called out for them in front of his teammates, either.Translation: Favre thinks he is above criticism/coaching now. That is how it sounds. He thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and not have to answer for it, if things don't go well. That is a terrible attitude to have, and as a veteran, Favre should know better than that. I think, at this point, Favre will retire for good. He obviously isn't going back to Green Bay, he won't want to start over with another new team again, and it sounds like some of the Jets are not wild about having him back. Sad to see one of the best QBs ever go out like this, but it is what it is.
Most career interceptions?

;) It deserves to be discussed without all of the Rodgers vs. Favre nonsense being too much of the discussion.Anyway, given all that has come out in the last few days, Favre continues to hurt his own legacy. There were reports that he didn't like being called into the "principal's office" by Mangini to be chastised for bad decisions, but on the other hand, he didn't like being called out for them in front of his teammates, either.Translation: Favre thinks he is above criticism/coaching now. That is how it sounds. He thinks he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and not have to answer for it, if things don't go well. That is a terrible attitude to have, and as a veteran, Favre should know better than that. I think, at this point, Favre will retire for good. He obviously isn't going back to Green Bay, he won't want to start over with another new team again, and it sounds like some of the Jets are not wild about having him back. Sad to see one of the best QBs ever go out like this, but it is what it is.
Most career interceptions?
That's the one that will never be broken, yes. :)

I guess it makes sense now when TT and MM said they wanted to "protect Favre's legacy". Please retire Brett!

"If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it," Rhodes said. "But don't come back if it's going to be half-hearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."This pretty much sums Favre up at this point in his career.
:potkettle:

The Jets and Farve were not a good mix from the start. Had Farve went to Minny I think he would have had a decent year because he would have played the Lions twice.

That being said Farve is done in NY,,or the NFL for that matter.

It's been a great career and we are lucky to have gotten a chance to watch an amazing player like Favre.

That said, the drama of the retirement decision every offseason speaks volumes about the guy.

Should have hung it up two years ago.

Here's to hoping he comes to the correct conclusion this time around.

It's been a great career and we are lucky to have gotten a chance to watch an amazing player like Favre.That said, the drama of the retirement decision every offseason speaks volumes about the guy.Should have hung it up two years ago.Here's to hoping he comes to the correct conclusion this time around.
It may not be his choice this time.

To hear the TT haters, you'd think it wasn't his choice to retire last time.
Yes there is that group out there that believes he was pushed our the door.Favre has always made a couple of poor throws each game, and many times turned into a pick and sometimes 6 points for the other team.Holmgren and McMarthy are the only ones that ever held him in check and made him more successful. But Brett still did what he wanted at times because he was never worried about getting benched once the streak became a big deal. Favre being distant form the players and not putting in amount of time needed should suprise no one after what came out when he left GB. He has been isolated from his teammates the last couple years and going to the Jets it did not change. He told McCarthy he did not want to put in a lot of study time when it came the gameplans and viewing oppents, bit reason he was not brought back after he retired.

can't wait for the Jets to have a no-name QB next year that defenses don't respect so Thomas Jones can be seen as the average talent that he is..My money is on about 3.2 YPC.

can't wait for the Jets to have a no-name QB next year that defenses don't respect so Thomas Jones can be seen as the average talent that he is..My money is on about 3.2 YPC.
Exactly TJ should have kept his mouth shut on this one.
I disagree. Favre is done... too bad he had to make team mates kick him out the door while letting the door still hit him in the behind. LOL... sure, it wasn't that the Jets went out and got two 1st round pick O lineman that helped the Jets running game... it was Favre all along! :confused:

I find it fascinating that many folks are telling Jones to effectively shut up. When an unnamed player was quoted the other day regarding Favre, there was a deluge of cries for said player to "man up" and make himself known. Now that an established player is willing to voice his concerns out in the open, surely a more difficult decision mind you, he's being vilified?

That said, while I applaud Jones' willingness to take a stand against a Hall of Famer and one of the most popular players in the league, I do have to ask if he looked in the mirror lately. Guy has 224 yards [3.9 per carry] over the last month of the season; not exactly playing up to the way he had in the first three months; much in the same vein as the guy he's criticizing.

I find it fascinating that many folks are telling Jones to effectively shut up. When an unnamed player was quoted the other day regarding Favre, there was a deluge of cries for said player to "man up" and make himself known. Now that an established player is willing to voice his concerns out in the open, surely a more difficult decision mind you, he's being vilified?

That said, while I applaud Jones' willingness to take a stand against a Hall of Famer and one of the most popular players in the league, I do have to ask if he looked in the mirror lately. Guy has 224 yards [3.9 per carry] over the last month of the season; not exactly playing up to the way he had in the first three months; much in the same vein as the guy he's criticizing.
Only difference here is Favre had a chance to 'pad' his stats on 3rd and short, while Jones didn't.

New York homer... for what its worth, Hot 97 is no sports station here. Their hosts are also quite arrogant sometimes besides from Angie Martinez and Funkmaster Flex. I didn't listen to the show at the time but they do instigate a lot of their guests into saying something juicy. Although he did say it, it's not like he said it to ESPN or any sports station for that matter.

Guy has 224 yards [3.9 per carry] over the last month of the season; not exactly playing up to the way he had in the first three months; much in the same vein as the guy he's criticizing.
Thomas Jones was as bad as Farve in those games? I don't think so.

Guy has 224 yards [3.9 per carry] over the last month of the season; not exactly playing up to the way he had in the first three months; much in the same vein as the guy he's criticizing.
At least he didn't wrap the ball up in silver paper with balloons on it, tied with a pretty pink ribbon, and hand it to the opponents.

At least he didn't wrap the ball up in silver paper with balloons on it, tied with a pretty pink ribbon, and hand it to the opponents.
TJ stirred the s--t in Chicago with Benson, and now he's doing it in NY. The guy is a Richard.

As bad? No, but was he good either? Nope. Either way, I find it ironic that Jones would be the one throwing players under the bus. Do we need to go through his career and how many times he's failed to play like a big-time back? Anyone want to discuss the pass protection? The play calling? The defensive pass rush?I don't want to come off like I'm defending Favre. I think, like many elite veterans nearing their end, we've seen indications for a few years that Favre is VERY VERY selfish. I'm not trying to make a value judgment, just saying that I think he's shown a propensity to think selfishly before [don't we all at times?]. The fact Jets fans and the brass are now playing the "Favre didn't deliver" card just rings really hollow. What did they expect? Did they not see this as a potential outcome? Take an aging Hall of Famer with a long history for making mistakes when he's trying to carry the team. Throw him into a new situation with no prep time. Make him learn a new offense while hyping him as the savior of the franchise. All the while the team was considered a sub-500 team up until the day they made the acquisition. And now, with a rather normal Favre-like bad 4-game stretch that leads IN PART to a 9-7 finish, and he was the guy to blame?Not buying it.

Soon Favre will wander off into retirement and the Jets will be left with:

A. No leadership in the entire organization.

B. A cancer at running back.

Lets not forget that TJ's relationship, or lack thereof, with Cedric Benson which lost Benson his job despite the fact that he is running quite well in Cincy now.

I would be horrified with Jones commentary were I a Jets fan, coach or GM...

I don't think I would talk #### when my backup out plays me every time he touches the ball.

As bad? No, but was he good either? Nope. Either way, I find it ironic that Jones would be the one throwing players under the bus. Do we need to go through his career and how many times he's failed to play like a big-time back?

Anyone want to discuss the pass protection? The play calling? The defensive pass rush?

I don't want to come off like I'm defending Favre. I think, like many elite veterans nearing their end, we've seen indications for a few years that Favre is VERY VERY selfish. I'm not trying to make a value judgment, just saying that I think he's shown a propensity to think selfishly before [don't we all at times?].

The fact Jets fans and the brass are now playing the "Favre didn't deliver" card just rings really hollow. What did they expect? Did they not see this as a potential outcome? Take an aging Hall of Famer with a long history for making mistakes when he's trying to carry the team. Throw him into a new situation with no prep time. Make him learn a new offense while hyping him as the savior of the franchise. All the while the team was considered a sub-500 team up until the day they made the acquisition. And now, with a rather normal Favre-like bad 4-game stretch that leads IN PART to a 9-7 finish, and he was the guy to blame?

Not buying it.
Plenty of blame to go around here, for sure.Favre threw himself into a no 'prep-time' situation more than anyone else did, by doing the annual offseason primadonna drama.

So that fact is on him, IMO.

Soon Favre will wander off into retirement and the Jets will be left with:

A. No leadership in the entire organization.

B. A cancer at running back.

Lets not forget that TJ's relationship, or lack thereof, with Cedric Benson which lost Benson his job despite the fact that he is running quite well in Cincy now.

I would be horrified with Jones commentary were I a Jets fan, coach or GM...
meh.

I think a lot of it is overblown....

A few comments:

1) I don't think Mgt is in love with Favre like it's been reported - I think Money is on the table and both sides don't want to blink yet - I also think prospective coaches know this and it's not the whole "OMG the new coach needs to deal with Favre" thing that gets overblown - If Cowher wanted to come here with NO Favre - believe me, it happens.

2) TJ is a workaholic and well respected in the locker room - His peers just awarded him the team Curtis Martin MVP award!!!! " the good thing about this team is that we have a lot of veterans and lot of vocal guys. We inspire the young guys, we inspire each other with our work ethic and the way that we prepare.”

I'll take his word and whatever he has t o say over Favre at this point..... I don't see the cancer angle.

3) The Jets IMO are left with a good amount of talent that underachieved last year - i think the right HC will have the opportunity to easily turn that defensive talent into a real good unit and run the ball with that OL... Clemens at QB showed some good things early last year with a horrific OL - I like the battle between him and Ratliff and any other QB they bring in. I think both QB's learned this year and are another step closer.

4) I'm not horrified at all - Actually glad it's all coming out now - Obviously Favre wasn't "All-In".....

I thought Mangini kinda deserved another shot but, he was also a huge part of the problem and this team needs a kick in the pants that a new more firey HC can instantly bring.

Overall I think the team has assembled some of the best talent I've ever seen on a Jets team (not saying much)... They need a few pieces and the right Head coach....

Overall, in the end, I'm pretty happy with what's taken place and in the end, they'll be competitive next year....

Remember, Jets fans have seen A LOT worse than this..

This, my friend, is a drop in the bucket.

To me, this is already an interesting and exciting offseason with IMO a lot of promise to turn this thing around fast and win with the foundation in place other than at QB but, with some decent prospects.

As bad? No, but was he good either? Nope. Either way, I find it ironic that Jones would be the one throwing players under the bus. Do we need to go through his career and how many times he's failed to play like a big-time back?

Anyone want to discuss the pass protection? The play calling? The defensive pass rush?

I don't want to come off like I'm defending Favre. I think, like many elite veterans nearing their end, we've seen indications for a few years that Favre is VERY VERY selfish. I'm not trying to make a value judgment, just saying that I think he's shown a propensity to think selfishly before [don't we all at times?].

The fact Jets fans and the brass are now playing the "Favre didn't deliver" card just rings really hollow. What did they expect? Did they not see this as a potential outcome? Take an aging Hall of Famer with a long history for making mistakes when he's trying to carry the team. Throw him into a new situation with no prep time. Make him learn a new offense while hyping him as the savior of the franchise. All the while the team was considered a sub-500 team up until the day they made the acquisition. And now, with a rather normal Favre-like bad 4-game stretch that leads IN PART to a 9-7 finish, and he was the guy to blame?

Not buying it.
Plenty of blame to go around here, for sure.Favre threw himself into a no 'prep-time' situation more than anyone else did, by doing the annual offseason primadonna drama.

No question Favre brought the move to NY on himself. But again that doesn't mean expectations were set appropriately. Almost like a magic switch, Favre coming aboard turned this team from a 6-win club in most eyes to a Super Bowl contender. That was blindly optimistic at best, foolhardy at worst.

Not buying it.

No question Favre brought the move to NY on himself. But again that doesn't mean expectations were set appropriately. Almost like a magic switch, Favre coming aboard turned this team from a 6-win club in most eyes to a Super Bowl contender. That was blindly optimistic at best, foolhardy at worst.
Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread