What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do the Packers have a realistic shot at going undefeated? (1 Viewer)

:shrug:

How do you defend perfect passes play after play? They could plug my grandma in at WR1 and she'd go 70 for 1k and 10 tds.

Any word on the Tauscher yet? Resting for the playoffs and injuries are the only thing I could see derail them for a game or two. I'm not even sure injuries slow them down much. It just has the feeling of a magical season for the pack where everything goes right.

Enjoy the ride. ###########
Get to the QB via corner blitz. It will take a team with a very good defensive line. I hate to say this, but Detroit is built to beat Green Bay right now. I'm not a Detroit fan, but it really reminds me of Ron Wolf building Green Bay to beat Minnesota (Randy Moss et al) 10+ years ago. Detroit is a bit overrated at 4-0, but they have the horses to split their matchup with the Pack this year. I think they will. Any talk of an undefeated season needs to wait until Thanksgiving at the earliest. Hell, I think looking past the Vikings in 2 weeks is a mistake.
Dare to dream. In reality, however the Vikings finally had the ball bouncing their way yesterday. The offense is still not executing and it is highly doubtfull that our secondary can contain Rodgers for any significant time. McNabb is still inaccurate as ever and the Vikings will be lucky not to be blown out.
I think Ponder will be starting by then, and the Vikings will have nothing to lose. The Packers also haven't seen a RB like AP this year, and they can be beaten quite badly on the edges. The Pack should be favored, sure, but crazy stuff happens in that damn dome...

Green Bay will not go undefeated. I think they are better than every team remaining on their schedule, but I also see a couple of losses.San DiegoTampa Bay (Yes, I know they just got beat down by the 9ers)Detroit x 2GiantsRaiders BearsMy guess is Detroit wins on Thanksgiving. Anyone who saw that game last year knows Detroit was going to win that game whether GB had Rodgers or not. Also, that game was without Matt Stafford. The defensive line was getting constant pressure. Add Fairley to the mix by Thanksgiving and I can see them giving GB serious problems.The Giants often play up (or down) to their opponents level.Raiders run game could cause some problems for GB. When Atlanta was running it well, they controlled GB yesterday. Bears always play GB tough.I think Green Bay is better than every team I listed here. I think GB is the best team in the league. I don't think GB is good enough to win every game they play this year. I think they're a 14-2 team and that's pretty damn good if you ask me.There are just too many variables in the NFL. Green Bay has come out slow 2 out of 5 weeks so far. If that happens against a team better than Carolina or Atlanta, they may not be able to overcome it, even as good as Rodgers is.
I agree 100% with this post. :goodposting:

:shrug:

How do you defend perfect passes play after play? They could plug my grandma in at WR1 and she'd go 70 for 1k and 10 tds.

Any word on the Tauscher yet? Resting for the playoffs and injuries are the only thing I could see derail them for a game or two. I'm not even sure injuries slow them down much. It just has the feeling of a magical season for the pack where everything goes right.

Enjoy the ride. ###########
Get to the QB via corner blitz. It will take a team with a very good defensive line. I hate to say this, but Detroit is built to beat Green Bay right now. I'm not a Detroit fan, but it really reminds me of Ron Wolf building Green Bay to beat Minnesota (Randy Moss et al) 10+ years ago. Detroit is a bit overrated at 4-0, but they have the horses to split their matchup with the Pack this year. I think they will. Any talk of an undefeated season needs to wait until Thanksgiving at the earliest. Hell, I think looking past the Vikings in 2 weeks is a mistake.
The Vikings have tried that and failed. They beat the outside/corner bliz by identifying it and then using a three step drop. Rodgers is so good at getting the ball out of his hands quickly and on target that it allows the very talented WRs to rack up YAC. Throw in a few draws, screens, and whams and even good pass rushing teams will be throwing a fit. Peppers was mic'ed up for that game and his muttering, "he never got the ball" or something like that after a late hit call.

Historically the loss of Chad Clifton has led to bad games by the Pack (and losses)

If they actually have a fill in for him, they can do ok. Baby Beluga has to get back in the line up

Shouldn't this thread be about the first place Lions (5-0, 2-0 Div) instead of the second place Packers (5-0, 1-0 4iv)? :confused:

How about now?
Rodgers is playing so ridiculously well right now anything is possible. I'm sure he'd tell you today wasn't one of his best games this year. He took too many sacks. I honestly thought the defense would improve coming out of the bye. That didn't happen, and it's becoming a bigger concern the later that continues into the season. The Packers only have 3 road games left, going to Det, KC, and NYG.As a Packer fan, I'm torn a bit on this issue. Obviously, it would be awesome to have a perfect season. However, the pressure continues to mount the further this goes on. Losing one during the regular season would obviously be much better for us Packer fans than losing one in the post season.

Lets be honest, I don't think anyone can beat the Packers this year. It will take a great game by another team and a pitiful effort by Green Bay for the pack to get an L. As efficient as the offense is I can't see any offense in the league keeping up with them. :kicksrock:

Lets be honest, I don't think anyone can beat the Packers this year. It will take a great game by another team and a pitiful effort by Green Bay for the pack to get an L. As efficient as the offense is I can't see any offense in the league keeping up with them. :kicksrock:
I disagree. The way that defense is playing, it will only take a game where Rodgers is not lights out for them to lose. He, and the offense, are carrying this team. They still have Tampa, Detroit (twice), NYG, Chicago, Oakland, MIN, and KC.If Rodgers plays average...maybe even just "good" and the defense keeps this up they lose more than one of those games in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. The way that defense is playing, it will only take a game where Rodgers is not lights out for them to lose. He, and the offense, are carrying this team. They still have Tampa, Detroit (twice), NYG, Chicago, Oakland, MIN, and KC.If Rodgers plays average...maybe even just "good" and the defense keeps this up they lose more than one of those games in my opinion.
100% agree. The Packers should have lost this week. 2 defensive touchdowns and they still almost gave it up. I think they will lose. I don't care if they lose in the reg season as long as they lose in the post-season. ;)

100% agree. The Packers should have lost this week. 2 defensive touchdowns and they still almost gave it up. I think they will lose. I don't care if they lose in the reg season as long as they lose in the post-season. ;)
LOL at "should have lost".

'sho nuff said:
'MIMN said:
'The Westin said:
He may have worded it poorly, but the point is Green Bay did plenty to lose that game vs. SD. A win is a win, but if we're talking about a team's prospects of going undefeated we have to look at every aspect of the team. GB doesn't have an undefeated caliber defense. They will probably trip up more than once in the second half.

'sho nuff said:
'MIMN said:
'The Westin said:
I disagree. The way that defense is playing, it will only take a game where Rodgers is not lights out for them to lose. He, and the offense, are carrying this team. They still have Tampa, Detroit (twice), NYG, Chicago, Oakland, MIN, and KC.

If Rodgers plays average...maybe even just "good" and the defense keeps this up they lose more than one of those games in my opinion.
He may have worded it poorly, but the point is Green Bay did plenty to lose that game vs. SD. A win is a win, but if we're talking about a team's prospects of going undefeated we have to look at every aspect of the team. GB doesn't have an undefeated caliber defense. They will probably trip up more than once in the second half.
Sure. They also did plenty to win. They were up 45-24 at one point. And if Jordy Nelson wraps up the onside kick (can't remember the Packers typically having difficulty with that simple function), the game is basically over. The defense isn't playing well right now, as you noted. Fully agree.But that said, it's silly for anyone to say that GB "should have lost" the game this weekend.

'The Westin said:
This post makes a lot of sense. It's going to be very tough to beat Detroit and NYG on the road. None of the above games are a lock for Packer victory.

They also did plenty to win that game.I don't think SD could have kept up with them even without the pick 6s.I agree the D is not playing well now, but the offense has been so light years ahead of everybody it may very well not matter.There still was no "should have lost" in the game the other night.They were up by 21 midway through the 4th and it took a botched onside recovery (guy who should have blocked went for the ball and screened Nelson from getting it) for them to make it closer.

'sho nuff said:
'MIMN said:
'The Westin said:
:) you will have to forgive me. I'm a Viking fan and think the Packers "should" lose every week.

There's a reason only one team has ever done it. It's incredibly hard no matter how good you are. I have no idea who they will lose to, but they will lose at least one game.

Rodgers continues goes lights out the rest of the season and goes on to have one of the greatest NFL (and fantasy) seasons of all time. Thus, justifying my #1 pick of the draft.

Rodgers continues goes lights out the rest of the season and goes on to have one of the greatest NFL (and fantasy) seasons of all time. Thus, justifying my #1 pick of the draft.

There's a reason only one team has ever done it. It's incredibly hard no matter how good you are. I have no idea who they will lose to, but they will lose at least one game.
:goodposting: Did anyone see the 1998 Broncos losing to the 5-8 Giants when they were sitting at 13-0? Did anyone see the 2007 Patriots almost losing to the 4-7 Ravens (and they would have lost if not for an all-advised timeout and a iffy holding call) when they were sitting at 11-0? Several teams along the way will give the Packers a run for their money, and odds are that one of them will result in a GB loss.

The Detroit game suddenly isn't looking so scary.
Still is in a way.3rd game in 11 days. A team that can bring pressure without bringing extra heat.A team that has big play ability with Megatron.A team that could be desperate at that point for another win to stay in the race.Divisional opponent on the road on T-giving.

The Detroit game suddenly isn't looking so scary.
Still is in a way.3rd game in 11 days. A team that can bring pressure without bringing extra heat.

A team that has big play ability with Megatron.

A team that could be desperate at that point for another win to stay in the race.

Divisional opponent on the road on T-giving.
Its actually closer to 9.5 days. Monday night game last night, Sunday noon this weekend, then Thursday morning. Fortunately, there's not a lot of travel. Two home games, and one in Detroit. Detroit will definitely be jacked for the game though, and they can definitely bring the heat with 4 guys. (As McGinn described, the only way a team can possibly beat the Packers).

The Giants can also bring the heat with 4 as well, and they are on the schedule immediately following Det. However, the Packers will be going to NY on 9 days rest, while the G-Men will be on a short week following a Monday nighter at New Orleans.

As a GB fan, if they're 14-0 and have HFA locked up, I'd rather not see Rodgers out there for entire games week 16 and 17 vs. Chi and Det. Why risk it against those defenses?

As a GB fan, if they're 14-0 and have HFA locked up, I'd rather not see Rodgers out there for entire games week 16 and 17 vs. Chi and Det. Why risk it against those defenses?
I hear you on this, but wouldn't you want your team to be potentially the only 19-0 team? Couple that with the potential of either knocking the Lions and/or the Bears out of the playoffs?As a Bears fan I would hate to see either of those two things happen (Packers go 19-0 or knock us out of the playoffs), so I would figure you would be all over it and I would not blame you.

Desmond Bishop was interviewed on ESPN radio last night. The host asked him what the protocol would be if the team gets to 14-0 and 15-0. "Would you have to go to McCarthy and ask him to play the starters?" Bishop replied that it would not be necessary to do that, and it's a given that they would "play to win every game."That's nice, but interpret it as you wish. It's not like he's gonna say "Nah, we'll sit everyone. If we lose, we lose."

First, we have some recent history in the Packers playing to beat the Cards in a meaningless week 17 game in 2009. So there is that.Second, if you go that route, you are talking about nearly a month of elasped time between the last time you played to win and your first playoff game. Just seems like a bad idea.Third, Bears and Lions as the WC teams is looking like a perfectly reasonable scenario at this point, and I think if the Packers have the chance to knock either team out of the playoffs they have to do it. They're basically the last two teams you want rolling into town for the playoffs if you're the Packers.On top of all this, we'd be talking laying down for a division opponent, which would make me sick. No idea how coaches and players feel about it though.

McCarthy has figured out how to put the pedal to the metal. Nothing I've seen from him indicates that he'll rest anyone. He might use that time to work on running the ball more effectively. He'll probably throw some trick plays in just to give teams something to waste their time, but he's not going to give up a chance for this organization to make history. No way. Just isn't like him at all.

Are any Rodgers owners stashing another QB in case the Packers decide to bench him after locking up a playoff spot? Debating riding it out, or picking up someone like Palmer while hes still out there.

To predict anyone to go undefeated, shows how out of touch you are with the reality of the situation...and how you are a prisoner of the moment.Remember only 2 teams ever have gone undefeated in the reg season, to think its that easy is comical.Everything has to go right, you forget, this team went 10-6 last year. Finley and Grant (Whos already hurt) dont give them 6 extra wins. Especially with a very good team who is on a mission in the same division.They lose to Detroit in Detroit on Thxgiv in front of a sold out crowd who has been waiting for a year like this for a long time. Plus, add to the fact Detroit has gotten better and beat them last year, you know, when they knocked the boy wonder out of the game.
I miss this guy.Wait... no I don't.

Are any Rodgers owners stashing another QB in case the Packers decide to bench him after locking up a playoff spot? Debating riding it out, or picking up someone like Palmer while hes still out there.
I know some who are. The final game may come against the Lions we may want to keep out of the playoffs like Chicago tried last year though.Last year the Giants got killed by Rodgers, but the media keeps trying to say it'll be a tough game. The Raiders run game, the Bears and Lions seem the toughest right now but undefeated looks more possible week by week.

Assuming:

1. The Packers are 11 point favorites on average for their remaining games (my guess here)

2. Favorites of 11 pts win about 85% of their games

3. They now have to win 8 games in a row

That means the Packers now have 27% chance of finishing 19-0.

If you think they'll be more than 11 pt favorites on average, and that perhaps they have 90% chance of winning each game on average instead of 85%, then there is 43% chance of going 19-0.

Assuming:1. The Packers are 11 point favorites on average for their remaining games (my guess here)2. Favorites of 11 pts win about 85% of their games3. They now have to win 8 games in a rowThat means the Packers now have 27% chance of finishing 19-0. If you think they'll be more than 11 pt favorites on average, and that perhaps they have 90% chance of winning each game on average instead of 85%, then there is 43% chance of going 19-0.
I really doubt they will be 11 point favorites consistently the rest of the way. I doubt they will be that against NYG, CHI, OAK, or DET and once they hit the playoffs I would doubt they will be double digit favorites.

One of the things that is really eye opening with the Packers is it seems like the rest of the league that their defense is getting better. Offense around the league was bananas the first month and then things started to settle down some. Brady was on pace for like 7,000 yards and I think only a couple of QBs really have a shot at breaking some of these single season records now. They lost a coupe guys on defense in the off season but now they are really coming together. This mixed with an offense that on a bad day puts up 24-27 points makes them almost impossible to beat right now.

@NYG...this could be trouble

OAK...The Raiders have been playing well but this will be a reality check for them(Oakland).

@KC...please

CHI...home game plus no Cutler likely

DET...if they get to 15-0 I really can't see them not wanting to win this one too. Sitting Rodgers because of perhaps Suh and that DL would make them look like chix poo going into the playoffs.

It's not a done deal but I'm starting to believe they can do it. I really hope the Miami Dolphins of 1972 keep their mouths shut this time around. If Green Bay runs the table they will have done it in another era almost 40 years later so let them tie the record. Miami was the 1st team to do it, usually teams that do something 1st are not the last. The one thing about GB though is they really cannot just line up and run right at you. I'm surprised no one has figured a way to slow them down since they were 8-6 last year.

As far as the 11 point spread goes, if that were the spread every week for their current 17 game winning streak, GB would be 6-10-1 against the spread. IMO, that is too high bar to set.

Assuming:1. The Packers are 11 point favorites on average for their remaining games (my guess here)2. Favorites of 11 pts win about 85% of their games3. They now have to win 8 games in a rowThat means the Packers now have 27% chance of finishing 19-0. If you think they'll be more than 11 pt favorites on average, and that perhaps they have 90% chance of winning each game on average instead of 85%, then there is 43% chance of going 19-0.
I really doubt they will be 11 point favorites consistently the rest of the way. I doubt they will be that against NYG, CHI, OAK, or DET and once they hit the playoffs I would doubt they will be double digit favorites.
Dallas, Atlanta, San Fran, NYG, Det, Chi...all those teams if they were to visit the Packers in the divisional round of the playoffs IMO would be 10 point underdogs. The only team I can see not double digit underdogs would be New Orleans as you would pair the previous 2 Super Bowl winners.

As I saw the original question it was an NFL question and not a betting or fantasy question.

27% Seriously?

They embarrassed the Giants last year and are stronger this season with Finley, Grant, and Morgan Burnett back.

Detroit, the Raiders and the Bears are the best bets to beat them now. Their schedule is actually pretty easy now. Their combined w/l record is 30-21 but with Cutler and Cassel down is seems fairly east for me.

They can definitely be beat, but I don't see any extremely tough games outside of NY and Chicago.

Yesterday the line opened 6.5 and ended 4.5 by game time, let's call it 5.5 for average action. At home this would have been 11.5, assuming home field advantage is worth 3 pts. Now that the public has seen the game yesterday, if they had to replay this game tomorrow, the line would be a bit higher, perhaps 1 pt more, so my baseline is 6.5 road and 12.5 home as the "freshest" estimate of the Packers' worth against a team like the Lions. @NYG. Similar to DET, so I go with 6.5, could be higherOAK. Perhaps a couple of pts worse than DET so 14.5@KC. I think KC vs DET on neutral field is possibly a line between 4-7, call it 5.5 difference. GB at KC = 5.5 + 6.5 = 12CHI. Similar to DET, so 12.5DET. 12.5Then playoffs, two at home, teams of caliber CHI and DET, so 12.5 twice. Super Bowl neutral field, perhaps opponent 1 pt better than CHI and DET so 12.5-3-1=8.5Average of 6.5 14.5 12 12.5 12.5 12.5 12.5 8.5 = 11.3They might rest players the last two games, reducing their chances of winning. But ballpark figure I don't think this is a crazy estimate. David, indeed the Packers have played a lot of close games, leading to bad record against the spread if 11 had been the number in their last 17 games. So I partially agree with you here.ETA: CHI would probably be higher than 12.5 without Cutler

Users who are viewing this thread