What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you believe the "mainstream media" has a liberal bias? (1 Viewer)

Does the "mainstream media" have a liberal bias?

• Yes, and it heavily slants news reporting

Votes: 269 55.6%
  • Yes, but it doesn't slant news reporting too much

Votes: 84 17.4%
  • No, the news is neutral

Votes: 52 10.7%
  • No, the news has a conservative or corporate bias

Votes: 79 16.3%

• Total voters
So you think the New York Times should pay more attention to state senators from California?
Section A of the New York Times is not the Local section, Tim.
Frankly I'm surprised it was in there at all. I'd expect it to be a fairly big story in the Los Angeles Times. The NY Times? Not so much. And why are still focusing on what page and section a news story is in? Nobody reads newspapers these days anyhow; it's a dying industry. If the story isn't featured on the news or on the front page of a news website, it may as well never have happened.

The point isn't if the R or the D is reported or not, or who cares about it. The point is the claim that it is inconsistently reported to favor one party. If that claim is true, that is bias. QED.

So you think the New York Times should pay more attention to state senators from California?
What about the mayor of Charlotte?http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2014/03/27/abc-cnn-msnbc-pbs-all-skip-political-id-shocking-corruption-democrat
What about him?Seriously, when you hear that a politician is accused of corruption, is the first thing you look at whether or not it's a Republican or Democrat? Are you keeping a scorecard? Who cares about this stuff?

When a politician is pushing for some policy which I like or don't like, that's when I want to know his affiliation, and usually the media tells me. But if some state senator of mayor of a city is involved in a crime, I couldn't care less. And this idea that the media is covering it up is really dumb IMO.
I beleive the point being made is that when there's a politican accused of corruption, his part is what determines if the first thing you hear about them is their political affiliation.

Frankly I'm surprised it was in there at all. I'd expect it to be a fairly big story in the Los Angeles Times. The NY Times? Not so much.And why are still focusing on what page and section a news story is in? Nobody reads newspapers these days anyhow; it's a dying industry. If the story isn't featured on the news or on the front page of a news website, it may as well never have happened.
They only ran a 1-paragraph summary under a bland headline buried in the back. Yet if, say, an anti-gay Republican is revealed to actually be gay, it's a big story.

That you can't see the hypocrisy must be shtick. You can't really be this stupid.

Frankly I'm surprised it was in there at all. I'd expect it to be a fairly big story in the Los Angeles Times. The NY Times? Not so much.And why are still focusing on what page and section a news story is in? Nobody reads newspapers these days anyhow; it's a dying industry. If the story isn't featured on the news or on the front page of a news website, it may as well never have happened.
So glad you mentioned the L.A. Times.Here is their article when the story first broke.

State Sen. Leland Yee to be released on $500,000 bond

By Maura Dolan March 26, 2014, 5:35 p.m.
SAN FRANCISCO -- California state Sen. Leland Yee sat between two other manacled defendants and grimly surveyed the courtroom, his face fixed in a frown.

Appearing Wednesday afternoon in federal court, where he was arraigned with 19 other defendants, Yee wore a casual, light-weight blue jacket, his hair stylishly combed. He gazed out at the courtroom without flinching, even as reporters stood to get a better a look at him.
Yee was charged with six counts of depriving the public of honest service — each carrying a maximum 20 years in prison — and gun trafficking, which carries a maximum of five years in prison.

“Mr. Yee, do you understand the charges against you?” asked U.S. Magistrate Nathanael Cousins.

“Yes,” Yee replied with a nod.

Most of the those accused with Yee were of Chinese descent. Several followed the proceedings with the aid of an interpreter, and one elderly defendant sat in a wheelchair. Three of the accused were women.

Yee was to be released on a $500,000 bond after surrendering his passport. He will be able to go anywhere in the state.

Other defendants who were given bail had to post bonds of either $100,000 or $50,000.

The courtroom where Yee appeared was packed, and reporters and the public also filled a second, overflow courtroom where the proceedings were broadcast by audio.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-leland-yee-arraigned-20140326,0,2666329.story#ixzz2xGqWa020
Notice anything missing from this?

No mention of political affiliation and no mention as to who these guns were being sold to.

Pretty big facts to leave out from a local paper wouldn't you say?

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you mentioned the L.A. Times.Here is their article when the story first broke.

By Maura Dolan

March 26, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

SAN FRANCISCO -- California state Sen. Leland Yee sat between two other manacled defendants and grimly surveyed the courtroom, his face fixed in a frown.

Appearing Wednesday afternoon in federal court, where he was arraigned with 19 other defendants, Yee wore a casual, light-weight blue jacket, his hair stylishly combed. He gazed out at the courtroom without flinching, even as reporters stood to get a better a look at him.

Yee was charged with six counts of depriving the public of honest service each carrying a maximum 20 years in prison and gun trafficking, which carries a maximum of five years in prison.

Mr. Yee, do you understand the charges against you? asked U.S. Magistrate Nathanael Cousins.

Yes, Yee replied with a nod.

Most of the those accused with Yee were of Chinese descent. Several followed the proceedings with the aid of an interpreter, and one elderly defendant sat in a wheelchair. Three of the accused were women.

Yee was to be released on a $500,000 bond after surrendering his passport. He will be able to go anywhere in the state.

Other defendants who were given bail had to post bonds of either $100,000 or $50,000.

The courtroom where Yee appeared was packed, and reporters and the public also filled a second, overflow courtroom where the proceedings were broadcast by audio.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-leland-yee-arraigned-20140326,0,2666329.story#ixzz2xGqWa020
Notice anything missing from this?No mention of political affiliation and no mention as to who these guns were being sold to.

Not the political affiliation, no. The other part, maybe.

They only ran a 1-paragraph summary under a bland headline buried in the back. Yet if, say, an anti-gay Republican is revealed to actually be gay, it's a big story.

That you can't see the hypocrisy must be shtick. You can't really be this stupid.
If an anti gay Republican is outed, that's news because of policy concerns. So far as I can see this story had nothing to do with policy and therefore I don't care what political party the guy belongs to.

The media never reports party affiliation unless its a Republican, then its in the lede sentence. There are literally thousands of examples of this going back decades. Its one of the Golden Laws of journalism

By Maura Dolan

March 26, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

Yee was charged with six counts of depriving the public of honest service each carrying a maximum 20 years in prison and gun trafficking, which carries a maximum of five years in prison.

Mr. Yee, do you understand the charges against you? asked U.S. Magistrate Nathanael Cousins.

Yes, Yee replied with a nod.

Notice anything missing from this?No mention of political affiliation and no mention as to who these guns were being sold to.

Not the political affiliation, no. The other part, maybe.
Yeah I guess it really shouldn't be any part of the story since Leland Yee was a major advocate for gun control and pushed to ban a device called a “bullet button" and then gets caught trafficking guns. :lmao:

If an anti gay Republican is outed, that's news because of policy concerns. So far as I can see this story had nothing to do with policy and therefore I don't care what political party the guy belongs to.
Yeah, guns never come up in politics.

:lmao: The guy is trying to sell rocket launchers and M16s in your area, and you don't care.

You are really this stupid.

I forgot you also support the right of men to have sex with preteens once they buy a training bra. Your idiocy knows no bounds.

He "used to go on Piers Morgan’s now-canceled CNN moonbat-fest and denounce the Second Amendment. He sent out tweets on the first anniversary of the Newtown massacre saying, “I’m still shocked & prepared to take steps to stop gun violence.” "

Nope, nothing to do with policy there :lmao:

The media never reports party affiliation unless its a Republican, then its in the lede sentence. There are literally thousands of examples of conservatives indulging in this paranoia about journalism
Fixed.
It is either true or it isn't true that the NYT and other large newspapers include the party affiliation of politicians involved in a scandal more or less often dependent on the politician's party. If it is true, then it's indicative of bias, rather than "paranoia". Seems like it would be pretty easy to prove one way or the other.

OK, on second thought, the fact that the guy's anti-gun, and that this story involves selling guns, makes his political party relevant and it should have been reported, assuming the facts you guys presented was correct.

IF everything you guys have presented is correct, and if there are no other mitigating circumstances, then it appears that this really is, in this instance, a case of deliberate media bias or at the very least incompetence. I still don't believe that Bias is standard, as many of you do, though this sort of thing adds ammunition to that idea.

OK, on second thought, the fact that the guy's anti-gun, and that this story involves selling guns, makes his political party relevant and it should have been reported, assuming the facts you guys presented was correct.

IF everything you guys have presented is correct, and if there are no other mitigating circumstances, then it appears that this really is, in this instance, a case of deliberate media bias or at the very least incompetence. I still don't believe that Bias is standard, as many of you do, though this sort of thing adds ammunition to that idea.
Did you bother to even click the links to check for yourself?

A quote from Leland Yee made during the sting

The complaint said Yee talked tough about having shady contacts who could obtain automatic weapons.

"Do I think we can make some money? I think we can make some money,” the state senator said, according to the complaint. “Do I think we can get the goods? I think we can get the goods."

The complaint says Yee described his approach to arms dealing as "agnostic."

“People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don’t care. People need certain things,” Yee said, according to the complaint. :o

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-leland-yee-gun-lobby-20140327,0,1570592.story#ixzz2xHIrdz9n

tom22406 said:
A quote from Leland Yee made during the sting

The complaint said Yee talked tough about having shady contacts who could obtain automatic weapons.

"Do I think we can make some money? I think we can make some money,” the state senator said, according to the complaint. “Do I think we can get the goods? I think we can get the goods."

The complaint says Yee described his approach to arms dealing as "agnostic."

“People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don’t care. People need certain things,” Yee said, according to the complaint. :o

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-leland-yee-gun-lobby-20140327,0,1570592.story#ixzz2xHIrdz9n
:shrug: "Hey man, I just happen to need a rocket launcher. Who cares, really?"

I wonder what would happen if there were no liberal media bias, and the media reported only objective truth, objectively. Could one assume the result would be that the population would be less liberal, having become better educated in the objective truth and less influenced by liberal bias? As a result, one could expect Republicans and conservatives would win more elections as more people become better educated and less influenced by liberal bias? I guess one other possibility is that more media sources would go out of business, because their current consumers are inherently liberal and will only consume media that confirms their bias?

tom22406 said:
timschochet said:

Hitler never bothered to check the links or else he would have known that Napoleon's foray into Russia ended badly.

tom22406 said:
timschochet said:

Sorry. Been on my iPhone all day and the links don't work for me for some reason. I trust you though and I'll take your word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread