What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you ever give up trade value to increase the value of a pick you hold? (1 Viewer)

jeaton6

Footballguy
One of my favorite strategies is to try to trade with poor teams/bottom feeders for producing assets (whether I need them or not) where I already own their first round pick. I usually try not to give up a lot of value in the deal itself but when I believe the deal then weakens the team such that it increases the value of the pick asset I'm holding at times I'm willing to do this. Lots of benefits actually: depth, keep away from other owners, increase pick value.

I've had a good amount of success with this. Anyone else done this with success? Any other strategies you like to employ?

One of my favorite strategies is to try to trade with poor teams/bottom feeders for producing assets (whether I need them or not) where I already own their first round pick. I usually try not to give up a lot of value in the deal itself but when I believe the deal then weakens the team such that it increases the value of the pick asset I'm holding at times I'm willing to do this. Lots of benefits actually: depth, keep away from other owners, increase pick value.

I've had a good amount of success with this. Anyone else done this with success? Any other strategies you like to employ?
I get what you are saying but if a bad team doesn't have a first, what sorts of deals are you thinking?

Take their crappy WR3 or flex spot and give them a later round pick? thus their this year lineup will be worse?

I have 5 firsts next year, 2 of which should be top 3-4

I get what you are saying but if a bad team doesn't have a first, what sorts of deals are you thinking?

Take their crappy WR3 or flex spot and give them a later round pick? thus their this year lineup will be worse?

I'm assuming he means giving up guys with a fair amount of potential that might be a year or two away to get assets with inferior dynasty value but good current value.

If I own shares of guys like Bridgewater, Wendell Smallwood, Sterling Shepard, Austin Hooper, I'd happily flip them to a bottom-feeder for names like Palmer, Jon Stewart, Fitz and Cook respectively, even though I think the long-term value of the former set is (slightly) higher. Because a team can back into 4-5 wins with a core like the latter, but one starting the former is probably on the express train to Tanksville. And the gap in value between the two sets of players is less than the gap in value between the 1.01 and, say, the 1.05.

I'd only do this with the types of third-tier dynasty assets I consider the names above to be, but I think it's a fine idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do this both ways. Earlier this year I traded Evan Engram to a borderline playoff team for their 1st. I did this knowing rookie tight ends struggle, I also gave up a 2nd for Larry Fitz to a team that I already own their 1st pick. 

I have also done it ther other way. I am  rebuilding and wanted to get Gordon off my team before he started winning games for me. Took 2 1sts and Carson for him. 

No I'm talking about taking guys that have short term value or are older (fitz, sanders types that rebuilders/reloaders want to dump anyways) that are going to score for them (hell these could be these teams WR2's) and could get them a couple wins and giving them some youth and possibly picks. Overpaying a bit if necessary to deplete the possibly of them picking up some W's.

msudaisy26 said:
I do this both ways. Earlier this year I traded Evan Engram to a borderline playoff team for their 1st. I did this knowing rookie tight ends struggle, I also gave up a 2nd for Larry Fitz to a team that I already own their 1st pick. 

I have also done it ther other way. I am  rebuilding and wanted to get Gordon off my team before he started winning games for me. Took 2 1sts and Carson for him. 
That's the spirit. Don't ever give up on Josh Gordon. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread