What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you know who you are? (1 Viewer)

I don't understand why knowing your DNA profile would change your outlook on the world and the peoples who live in it.  Nothing has changed about you or them. Your DNA doesn't define who you are, and knowing your genetic makeup shouldn't change who you are.

I guess I'm in the minority but I found it weird. People really getting emotional to find out their ancestors were from different places?

Why would you be nervous and/or cry about this?  Do people really not think they are plenty-mixed?  

I wish I had more dark-skinned dna in me.  Just under albino white ...burn & peel.  Do not like.

Maternal Grandmother's side we can trace back to the 1500's.  Irish.

Paternal Grandmother's side we can trace back to the 1400's, Scotch Irish and Irish.

Paternal Grandfather's side we can trace back to the early 1800's, German.

Maternal Grandfather back to the mid 1800's, German.

Where any of those folks were before those times, who knows.  Still, if we go back far enough I suspect my lineage goes back to the Olduvai Gorge.

In college, I took an ethnic literature class. I remember the professor one day talking about the time he found out he was part Irish. He said something like, "After learning this, I didn't know how I was supposed to act or how I should change my life." I thought that was weird. I think it would be kind of cool to learn about this, but I don't get why it would change anything for me.

exactly. 

omg! I have dna from someplace other than the lower east side of NYC? impossible?! cry.
I would think there are a lot of people out there that consider themselves "pure ________", and it quite possibly is very important to them.  Finding out their actual genetic makeup could be a big surprise.

Im fine with who I am. How I got here is less important... on the other hand please don't tell me I have French blood... having parents born in Philadelphia is traumatic enough.

:pickle:

I guess I'm in the minority but I found it weird. People really getting emotional to find out their ancestors were from different places?
If you have strongly held beliefs about a group (ethnicity/race) of people, it could be a shock to find that you are of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that video on facebook.  It's cool, but I don't understand why this impacts people so much.  I genuinely don't think it'd change me at all if I found out anything drastic.  

If you have strongly held beliefs about a group (ethnicity/race) of people, it could be a shock to find that you are of them.
You mean like the white supremacist who found out he was 14% Sub-Saharan African? He just flat out denied it as "statistical noise."

His home was subsequently vandalized by white supremacists.  :lmao:

You mean like the white supremacist who found out he was 14% Sub-Saharan African? He just flat out denied it as "statistical noise."

His home was subsequently vandalized by white supremacists.  :lmao:
No.. I mean like the people in the video.

I would imagine finding out you are like people you consider foreign, or not like people you identify with, would be a cause for reflection for most.

There will be idiots too far gone to be able to accept this... unless you make this part of being born.  Put this report in with birth certificates and people might grow with one less excuse to hate. :thumbup:

In college, I took an ethnic literature class. I remember the professor one day talking about the time he found out he was part Irish. He said something like, "After learning this, I didn't know how I was supposed to act or how I should change my life." I thought that was weird. I think it would be kind of cool to learn about this, but I don't get why it would change anything for me.
We've traced my family back and found a mix of Irish and German on both sides.  I assume I have a good mix of small percentages otherwise.

If the test came back 80% French, it might take a few days to get over that.

Those aren't people.  Those are actors.  It was a commercial. 
I would imagine finding out you are like people you consider foreign, or not like people you identify with, would be a cause for reflection for most.

There will be idiots too far gone to be able to accept this... unless you make this part of being born.  Put this report in with birth certificates and people might grow with one less excuse to hate. :thumbup:  

That was a weird video.  I can't relate to identifying myself as a particular nationality in racial sense.  I mean, I'm an American, and I certainly view myself that way, but there's nothing genetic about it.  Somebody who immigrated here a few days ago is potentially just as American as I am -- I DGAF what our respective DNA results show.  It's probably kind of telling that the video mainly featured Europeans.

That was a weird video.  I can't relate to identifying myself as a particular nationality in racial sense.  I mean, I'm an American, and I certainly view myself that way, but there's nothing genetic about it.  Somebody who immigrated here a few days ago is potentially just as American as I am -- I DGAF what our respective DNA results show.  It's probably kind of telling that the video mainly featured Europeans.
I think their goal was to feature people who were willing to say on camera that they hate people from a particular country and then, BAM!, they are partly from that country!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread