What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does anyone conceal carry on a regular basis? (1 Viewer)

Let me help: We've been discussing an actual (not fictional) scenario where trey actually DID "use" his gun to save the day.
He "saved the day" because the guy stopped. Based on how this guy was acting there was a decent chance he was looped up or really drunk. What if he didn't have the good sense to stop? He's dead right? Unarmed, blood alcohol three times the legal limit, would that be a good case for imminent threat? Why wouldn't you just jump in the car and avoid the situation all together?

We were driving home one night from my parents. My infant son had just thrown up in his car seat, so I pulled into this carwash to clean it/him up. A car pulled upand honked. The driver rolled down his window and began yelling obscenities and threats at me. I told him that I didn't even know who the hell he was and that he should leave. He continued to scream obscenities and told me that he was going to kick my ###. Again, I told him that he should leave. Then he got out of his car. I told him to get back in his car and leave. He started towards me, I pulled my weapon. He stopped. I told him to get back in his car and leave. He did. I got in my truck and got the hell out of there before he came back. I would have shot him had he not stopped.

I thought he was an imminent threat. Did I break the law? Not in my mind. I hope that I never have to be in that position again.

what if you'd had a gun on you when the "mexican" barred his teeth at you and muttered in something in spanish?
I would've karate chopped him. Kicked out his knee and then jumped on his back and pulled out my gun and put to his head and said, "Don't #### with me hombre.I'm a FBG"
He would have taken that piece from you, stuck it up your ###, and pulled the trigger until it went 'click'.

what if you'd had a gun on you when the "mexican" barred his teeth at you and muttered in something in spanish?
I would've karate chopped him. Kicked out his knee and then jumped on his back and pulled out my gun and put to his head and said, "Don't #### with me hombre.I'm a FBG"
He would have taken that piece from you, stuck it up your ###, and pulled the trigger until it went 'click'.
Well, thats just not realistic.

Why wouldn't you just jump in the car and avoid the situation all together?
I don't think anyone advocates shooting before making a reasonable attempt to defuse a situation or remove yourself from it. Sometimes neither is an option. Thankfully those are rare instances that most folks will encounter very infrequently, if ever.

Car wash guy was in the right with the caveat that the way the scenario went down seemed kind of Clint Eastwoodish. If I'm carrying.... I tell the guy that I'm leaving, I don't know why he's upset, I get in my car in drive away.

concealed carry worked for ice cube in that one scene at the beginning of boyz n the hood where they were on the strip and all he had to do was lift up his shirt to show his gun and the other gangsters took off.

but it came back to bite him when those same gangster ended up shooting his brother.

be careful out there guys.
RIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYY
:cry: :gang1:
I still got one brother left :ooooochild:
get a room and flap some skins, you two.

I certainly considered flight, but my infant son was in my wife's arms in the front seat and my vehicle was blocked in. I guess I could have jumped in the Suburban and rammed this guy's car out of the way, but that seemed like a last resort, or certainly the last option at the moment. Mind you, this scenario plays out in about 30-45 seconds, start to finish. Not really time to sort out your options. Given the scenario, with my family at potential risk, I do the same thing 10/10 times. If I shoot the guy, I'll take my chances with the legal system, comfortable in the knowledge that I did what I had to do to protect my family.

If you have a problem with that, I have no response.

Bucky86 said:
Strangely enough, I did this exact thing today to our CFO during a monthly account closing meeting. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Bucky86 said:
Strangely enough, I did this exact thing today to our CFO during a monthly account closing meeting. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped.
Maybe you should've left out the karate chop? :shrug:

matttyl said:
We were driving home one night from my parents. My infant son had just thrown up in his car seat, so I pulled into this carwash to clean it/him up. A car pulled upand honked. The driver rolled down his window and began yelling obscenities and threats at me. I told him that I didn't even know who the hell he was and that he should leave. He continued to scream obscenities and told me that he was going to kick my ###. Again, I told him that he should leave. Then he got out of his car. I told him to get back in his car and leave. He started towards me, I pulled my weapon. He stopped. I told him to get back in his car and leave. He did. I got in my truck and got the hell out of there before he came back. I would have shot him had he not stopped.

I thought he was an imminent threat. Did I break the law? Not in my mind. I hope that I never have to be in that position again.
This is a good example.

What's more likely had you not had a gun?:

a) He continues to approach and keeps yelling at you until he realizes you weren't who he thought you were.

b) He continue to approach, is genuinely mad at you because you just cut him off pulling into the car wash verbally assaults you and then leaves.

c) He continue to approach, is genuinely mad at you because you just cut him off pulling into the car wash physically assaults you and/or your family.
or d) he continues to approach, and is genuinely mad at you for whatever reason is in his head - rational or not, and assaults you or worse.

Are you willing to bet you life on any of the above?
I don't think treyn is obligated to play the odds at the expense of his safety and the safety of his family. That said, even if I were carrying, I think my preference would be to get back in my car and leave immediately. Maybe the guy keeps following and harasses me on the road, putting my kid in danger, I don't know. Tough situation I think.

Two things I always love about these threads...

1. Every scenario always evolves into gun-nut fantasizing about saving his family by shooting a bad guy. Why is this such a desirable fantasy?

2. Every scenario always has gun-nut killing another human being with absolutely no remorse or future mental consequences. Trained (normal) police officers and military personnel are ruined for life after doing this, but gun-nut thinks he will do it without a second thought.

Here's to you gun-nut. True American hero! :thumbup:

1. Every scenario always evolves into gun-nut fantasizing about saving his family by shooting a bad guy. Why is this such a desirable fantasy?

2. Every scenario always has gun-nut killing another human being with absolutely no remorse or future mental consequences. Trained (normal) police officers and military personnel are ruined for life after doing this, but gun-nut thinks he will do it without a second thought.

Where on earth are you getting this? Not one post in here mentioned blowing away the car wash guy. If anything, the gun nuts as you put it have lobbied for not drawing, and instead fleeing.

Actually there were 3 scenarios in this thread.

2 of them actually happened and not only did nobody get shot, nobody wanted to shoot anyone or fantasized about shooting anyone. Treynwreck3 was able to diffuse a situation and although the pulling of the gun sounded questionable when you realize he was pinned in and could not just pull away and his family was with him it's hard to argue if you weren't there. There wasn't any "gun-nut" fantasizing or bravado expressed. Just a real world example of a gun saving someone from a potentially threatening situation.

The other was MikeIke's wife carrying a gun after seeing her rapist driving by and checking her out. She didn't pull, she didn't threaten, he didn't make any statement about her killing him gleefully. She felt unsafe, strapped on an open carry, and again potentially diffused a situation.

The other "scenario" was brought up by Bucky and expanded on my icon. Two people arguing against gun rights and open carry.

The scenarios I layed out in the beginning were legal in nature and in direct response to timscochets question and questions by others. They were scenarios we discussed in class and had to do with the state law and when you are and are not allowed to shoot. There was no bravado or fantasizing about saving my family or killing anyone.

Most of the pushing of the scenarios to ridiculous lengths has come, as it usually does, from your side in an attempt to push every conversation towards reductio ad absurdum. But the facts continue to get in the way.

Typical anti-gun response. No facts, all anecdote and emotion.

Last edited by a moderator:

You should try reading the thread first.

I think this thread has been very informative. I don't own a gun and don't plan on it, but the rules for when people people carry, what they can and can't do is very interesting.

I think this thread has been very informative. I don't own a gun and don't plan on it, but the rules for when people people carry, what they can and can't do is very interesting.
I actually thought the same thing about my class. I did not grow up around guns and have never owned one, this is all very new to me. Before my first trip to the range a few weeks ago I was watching youtube videos about the 4 rules of gun safety and how to actually use a handgun. I've always been a 2nd amendment believer but in theory and not personal practice.

It was fascinating learning what the actual laws are, where you are allowed to go and not go, when you are authorized to use it and not. Some of it was surprising to me, some very common sense and some not so much and a bit subjective. Even if someone believes guns should be banned, I think it would be interesting learning about what the laws of the land actually allow and don't allow.

Where on earth are you getting this? Not one post in here mentioned blowing away the car wash guy. If anything, the gun nuts as you put it have lobbied for not drawing, and instead fleeing.
Don't stop him... he's on a roll :lol:

A guy brought up a scenario like this and the instructor said "'Absolutely not. You absolutely cannot shoot., however, that isn't to say you didn't see him reaching for something or he didn't turn around and threaten you (wink wink) "
It is very troubling to me that the gun safety instructor told his students that, if they every illegally shoot someone, they should tell this particular lie to escape punishment. Just wrong.

The police told someone close to me "if you ever shoot someone [in your yard] again, drag him into the house and claim you were being attacked."

Not to open up the debate too much, but there are some interesting statistics here. The domain sounds like a pro-gun lobby writes it, but they refuse donations from any INDUSTRY/LOBBY RELATED sources and claim to try to remain objective as possible. Regardless, their statistics quoted at that link are all properly cited for those wishing to dig a little deeper.

EDIT to add the obvious bold:

Reference:
"In all these years, Guy has declined to take money from policy groups. No NRA, SAF, GOA cash at all (well, one tiny, local NRA members chapter sent him $100 unsolicited once). Guy takes donations from readers, holds an annual fundraising event with them and accepts on-page sponsorships. Retaining objectivity and quality is the cornerstone of the Gun Facts project. If the information isn’t sound and independent, it is not included."

A guy brought up a scenario like this and the instructor said "'Absolutely not. You absolutely cannot shoot., however, that isn't to say you didn't see him reaching for something or he didn't turn around and threaten you (wink wink) "
It is very troubling to me that the gun safety instructor told his students that, if they every illegally shoot someone, they should tell this particular lie to escape punishment. Just wrong.

The police told someone close to me "if you ever shoot someone [in your yard] again, drag him into the house and claim you were being attacked."
I have a buddy who was told this as well.. though he didn't shoot the individuals. They came home to a robbery in progress, the thieves saw him on the phone with his pistol drawn at the front door and they ran out the back door with arm loads of his stuff. When they came around the front of the house they were taunting him that he "couldn't do anything because they were outside his home now".

His dog (80lb boxer) charged one of them and jumped into his chest knocking him through a fence. The other guy was running toward a car. Buddy said he pointed the gun at the car and the driver sped off.... apparently both guys started screaming at the driver, dropped everything, and ran down the street after the car.

Can't speak to the truth of story other than the guy is pretty straight laced and not one I'd expect to lie.

The whole pointing the gun at the driver of the car doesn't sound super safe, but I can see how he'd do it exasperated at the inability to do anything to the guys carrying his ####.

Not to open up the debate too much, but there are some interesting statistics here. The domain sounds like a pro-gun lobby writes it, but they refuse donations from any sources and claim to try to remain objective as possible. Regardless, their statistics quoted at that link are all properly cited for those wishing to dig a little deeper.
First thing I see there is a huge banner trying to get me to donate money.
Meant gun-lobby related sources... sorry, multitasking:

"In all these years, Guy has declined to take money from policy groups. No NRA, SAF, GOA cash at all (well, one tiny, local NRA members chapter sent him $100 unsolicited once). Guy takes donations from readers, holds an annual fundraising event with them and accepts on-page sponsorships. Retaining objectivity and quality is the cornerstone of the Gun Facts project. If the information isn’t sound and independent, it is not included."

Figured the intent of what I was saying was pretty safely assumed. Edited above to color in for the crayon-chewers ;)

Not to open up the debate too much, but there are some interesting statistics here. The domain sounds like a pro-gun lobby writes it, but they refuse donations from any sources and claim to try to remain objective as possible. Regardless, their statistics quoted at that link are all properly cited for those wishing to dig a little deeper.
First thing I see there is a huge banner trying to get me to donate money.
:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:

Dont donate your money to help fight cancer or to children's hospitals. Donate it to us because WE NEED MORE GUNS!

Dont donate your money to help fight cancer or to children's hospitals. Donate it to us because WE NEED MORE GUNS!
Not sure what your level of sarcasm was here, but this is akin to saying "Donate to Planned Parenthood because WE NEED MORE ABORTIONS!"

Yeah, I was a bit uneasy about this also.

The instructor was actually pretty level headed sounding most of the time. He had a situation where he had to shoot an intruder outside his home, the guy was trying to break in and the instructor walked out the front door and swung around to where he was. He yelled out to the guy who turned and started to rush him, he shot at him as he was raising his gun and missed (shooting at his feet). The guy froze and then started running away. When the guy started running away he did not shoot (he had already called 911, first thing he did from inside). But then the guy turned back up towards his house up onto porch towards his door. His daughter was inside so he shot. The guy fell but got back up and ran off, they found him later (the police) in a ditch and there was someone else with him because it looked like he was half drug there and then left after he died.

The instructor was actually very honest about how scared he was and how it caused him to fire too early and how the fear and adrenaline clouded his judgement. He pointed out all the mistakes he made, not considering a second person who could easily have come out and shot him or been inside without his knowledge. His advice in a similar situation is to grab your family, hunker down in an inside room (no windows), call 911 and guard that room until they arrive.

We discussed a lot when it was and was not ok to shoot in those situations. Never to recover property or after a crime was already comitted and the guy was fleeing. One guy in class said he couldn't imagine someone hurting his wife or daughter and then the guy putting up his hands and him not shooting at that point. His actual hypothetical was coming home to someone who had murdered or raped someone in his family and then the guy puts up his hands or runs away and in that circumstance what would happen if he fired his gun. That was the scenario the instructor made the statement referenced above about. He said about 3 times before the statement that he absolutely has to say that it is 100% against the law and you may go to jail but "in this county I have a hard time thinking a jury would convict someone in that circumstance". Then during the break they were discussing again and the instructor said, this is completely off record and not the official response I will give you in class, but if that were to happen you had better inform someone that he reached for something or threatened you.

So it was definitely not something an instructor of a gun safety class should say but they were just talking, off class time, and he was being honest. I mean in that very unlikely hypothetical I don't know what man wouldn't consider shooting someone. I hate to say it but I'm sure I would, it's your family and in the moment who knows what happens. It was more of a classroom hypothetical situation as opposed to guys figuring out how they can shoot someone. One of the main components of the class was going through all of these hypothetical (and real) situations and discussing what you could, should, or people did do.

Not sure what your level of sarcasm was here, but this is akin to saying "Donate to Planned Parenthood because WE NEED MORE ABORTIONS!"
That site compares the President of the United States, who we the people elected, to Lenin and Hitler. I haven't checked out Planned Parenthood's site but, you're saying it's basically the same thing, right?

Yep, no fantasizing/hypothesizing about saving your family with a gun in here!
Dude, you're seriously just trolling right?

The classroom context was discussion of scenarios and the application of the laws. The statement from the guy certainly wasn't a heroic "gonna kill me some bad guys" type of thing. The instructors job was to walk us through specifics and show us how the law was to be applied and not applied so that it would be clear. Other than this single scenario/comment, during the other 7 hours and 50 minutes of the class he was all caution and de-escalation. What was stressed more than anything else was keep your pistol in its holster unless you REALLY need it in an imminent and life threatening situation and the best ways to do that.

If you're exploring the legality and morality of these situations it's only normal to push out to find where the boundary is. The same guy who asked about coming home to someone harming his family was the same guy that got really upset about how cavalier someone sounded about a shooting in the news and talked about how sad it was and how we had to take this stuff seriously. He wasn't gung ho, he really wanted to know the boundary of the law. He was a pretty intellectually curious guy.

You obviously have this bias and narrow minded caricature in your mind of the three toothed, rebel flag waving gun owner with his finger on the trigger looking for someone to shoot and you're doing everything you possibly can to pull any little comment out to make it fit your false reality. It's pretty ignorant.

The people in the class and 90% of the people I've run into at the class, the range, and anywhere else involving shooting have been respectful, thoughtful, and VERY concerned about safety above everything else. I'm sure there are idiots, I even met one, but that's not the norm. What is normal is your superior, left wing attitude and bias.

Welcome to every gun thread we've ever had here... :lol:

There are a handful of folks who aren't interested in actual discussion and won't be changing their perceptions on anything... you've got to just ignore the noise and enjoy the discussion with the folks who are actually going to be contributors to good discourse.

So back on topic... Lombardi... what are looking looking for with regards to your Carry pistol purchase? Size? Caliber? Any brands/models you're considering right now?

The perception of guns is ruined by people like that Florida politician who said he needed to carry his around all the time for protection. I'm sorry, but that's laughable in his case and there are plenty of other cases of similar gun nuts doing the same. They just look like idiots who have no perception of reality.

There are, however, plenty of cases where carrying a gun makes sense for people, and I think I would include most or all of the FBG experiences posted here in that category.

I'm not sure if my stance makes me anti-gun or not.

Welcome to every gun thread we've ever had here... :lol:

There are a handful of folks who aren't interested in actual discussion and won't be changing their perceptions on anything... you've got to just ignore the noise and enjoy the discussion with the folks who are actually going to be contributors to good discourse.
Yep. And both exist on either side of the equation

That site compares the President of the United States, who we the people elected, to Lenin and Hitler. I haven't checked out Planned Parenthood's site but, you're saying it's basically the same thing, right?
Wasn't talking about any sites.

The perception of guns is ruined by people like that Florida politician who said he needed to carry his around all the time for protection. I'm sorry, but that's laughable in his case and there are plenty of other cases of similar gun nuts doing the same. They just look like idiots who have no perception of reality.

There are, however, plenty of cases where carrying a gun makes sense for people, and I think I would include most or all of the FBG experiences posted here in that category.

example?

You seem to have completely glossed over my explanation of how concealed carry works for the vast majority of people.

It's not something you take on and off through-out the day based on the perceived security of each location. There's a reason CCW folks stop supporting businesses that don't allow carry... for MOST CCW folks, a sidearm is as much a part of starting/ending their day as putting their wallet in their pocket.

You might want to understand the culture a bit more before denouncing the actions of certain folks... Just trying to help :thumbup:

Not to open up the debate too much, but there are some interesting statistics here. The domain sounds like a pro-gun lobby writes it, but they refuse donations from any INDUSTRY/LOBBY RELATED sources and claim to try to remain objective as possible. Regardless, their statistics quoted at that link are all properly cited for those wishing to dig a little deeper.

EDIT to add the obvious bold:

Reference:

This Guy guy lives in Boulder Creek, CA. I've spent some time there over the years. Aside from the "country club" the place is pretty weird. People from nearby communities refer to it as "Boulder Crack".

example?
Drug dealer.

example?
Classic example of a red flag for a dead end discussion...

example?
Two of them in this thread, for one. After reading the discussion, I side with the guy who used his to get the threatening guy away from his car and family, as well as the guy whose wife showed hers to keep her former attacker away.

You seem to have completely glossed over my explanation of how concealed carry works for the vast majority of people.

It's not something you take on and off through-out the day based on the perceived security of each location. There's a reason CCW folks stop supporting businesses that don't allow carry... for MOST CCW folks, a sidearm is as much a part of starting/ending their day as putting their wallet in their pocket.

You might want to understand the culture a bit more before denouncing the actions of certain folks... comes off as ignorant. Just trying to help :thumbup:
That's totally irrelevant. The politician said he had it for protection. This is a guy who most likely has his own security contingent following him around the posh neighborhood he lives and works in. To say he has to carry for protection is incredibly silly.

You might want to understand the culture a bit more before denouncing the actions of certain folks... comes off as ignorant. Just trying to help :thumbup:
That's totally irrelevant. The politician said he had it for protection. This is a guy who most likely has his own security contingent following him around the posh neighborhood he lives and works in. To say he has to carry for protection is incredibly silly.
So a mayor has a 24/7 security detail? I HIGHLY doubt he does.... and even if he did, if he wishes to exercise his 2nd amendment right...why are you against that? Are you proposing some sort of "carry czar" where you explain where your day is going to take you and get approval on when where it's "sensible" for you to carry? :lol:

The guy likes to carry. That is his right. He, like most folks who carry, likely slips his holster into his belt-line before he leaves his house in the morning and likely takes it out when he winds down for the night. Not sure how that's confusing.

I also support visible citizens, like the mayor, being open about carrying... I think it helps public perception of concealed carry.

So a mayor has a 24/7 security detail? I HIGHLY doubt he does.... and even if he did, if he wishes to exercise his 2nd amendment right...why are you against that? Are you proposing some sort of "carry czar" where you explain where your day is going to take you and get approval on when where it's "sensible" for you to carry? :lol:

The guy likes to carry. That is his right. He, like most folks who carry, likely slips his holster into his belt-line before he leaves his house in the morning and likely takes it out when he winds down for the night. Not sure how that's confusing.

I also support visible citizens, like the mayor, being open about carrying... I think it helps public perception of concealed carry.
I'm not denying its his right nor saying it shouldn't be. I just think its silly in his specific case to say he needs it for protection.. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread