What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does anyone else hate Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band? (1 Viewer)

Springsteen

• I am a fan

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I am NOT a fan

Votes: 50 54.9%
  • Zip it the hell up Willie

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters
Anyway, the original claim was that "most have never heard" Thunder Road and Badlands. I would be very surprised if there are any people out there who consider themselves Springsteen fans who have never heard those songs. And a good chunk of non-fans have also heard of them. Maybe you're right that there are some generational dynamics at play (I'm GenX).
Maybe this is where the disconnect is happening, I'm talking the general public not Springsteen fans. Meaning a lot of the folks who have responded to this thread that they don't' care one way or the other or just flat out don't care for him. You can continue to rail to the heavens that everyone knows those songs but they simple don't. Springsteen has his fair share of hits but he has a whole other body of work that unless you've listened to at least 3 albums front to back (Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born to Run), you wouldn't even be aware of. That was point.

But carry on :deadhorse:

I am not a Bruce fan, but I can name and sing right now parts of probably 8-10 of his songs, and saw him live in concert about a year or so ago.

Sitting here at this moment, I have no recollection of Thunder Road or Badlands, what the melody or lyrics are, or what they are about. If you asked me to name 10 Springsteen songs, I wouldn’t have come up with either of those.

Now, if I pulled them up on Spotify, my guess is that I’d recognize them, but sitting here now, I’m shuked. And that is not the case for a bunch of other hits he’s had. So I tend to agree with your take.

P.S. My primary disagreement is with the assertion that Thunder Road is his second most famous song, and Badlands in his top five most famous.

Last edited:
Anyway, the original claim was that "most have never heard" Thunder Road and Badlands. I would be very surprised if there are any people out there who consider themselves Springsteen fans who have never heard those songs. And a good chunk of non-fans have also heard of them. Maybe you're right that there are some generational dynamics at play (I'm GenX).
Maybe this is where the disconnect is happening, I'm talking the general public not Springsteen fans. Meaning a lot of the folks who have responded to this thread that they don't' care one way or the other or just flat out don't care for him. You can continue to rail to the heavens that everyone knows those songs but they simple don't. Springsteen has his fair share of hits but he has a whole other body of work that unless you've listened to at least 3 albums front to back (Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Born to Run), you wouldn't even be aware of. That was point.

But carry on :deadhorse:

I am not a Bruce fan, but I can name and sing right now parts of probably 8-10 of his songs, and saw him live in concert about a year or so ago.

Sitting here at this moment, I have no recollection of Thunder Road or Badlands, what the melody or lyrics are, or what they are about. If you asked me to name 10 Springsteen songs, I wouldn’t have come up with either of those.

Now, if I pulled them up on Spotify, my guess is that I’d recognize them, but sitting here now, I’m shuked. And that is not the case for a bunch of other hits he’s had. So I tend to agree with your take.
I guess I am different as I still listen to classic rock radio and Thunder Road is played A LOT when they play Bruce. Badlands not so much so I agree I wouldn't think it is a top 10 most remembered song by those that are casual listeners.

PS- I now see your PS and yep, agree.

Now, if I pulled them up on Spotify, my guess is that I’d recognize them, but sitting here now, I’m shuked.

Well, I was wrong. Pulled up both Thunder Road and Badlands on Spotify and didn’t really recognize them, even though I’m sure he played them at the concert I went to.

Now, if I pulled them up on Spotify, my guess is that I’d recognize them, but sitting here now, I’m shuked.

Well, I was wrong. Pulled up both Thunder Road and Badlands on Spotify and didn’t really recognize them, even though I’m sure he played them at the concert I went to.
My faith in humanity has been restored :thumbup:
It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! You're all plotting against me!

Anyway, the original claim was that "most have never heard" Thunder Road and Badlands.

Nope, ignatius. I'm the most casual of non-fans and I could name you at least five Springsteen songs before "Thunder Road" or "Badlands," both of which I am completely unfamiliar with.

Voted not a fan. The only Bruce Springsteen tune that I like is one that Joan Jett covered in her movie, "Light of Day." I honestly couldn't imagine him singing it.

ETA: never noticed until now that the song uses the same chord changes as "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Last edited:
Voted not a fan. The only Bruce Springsteen tune that I like is one that Joan Jett covered in her movie, "Light of Day." I honestly couldn't imagine him singing it.

ETA: never noticed until now that the song uses the same chord changes as "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
Yup, Joan Jett's version is for sure better, even without Silvio Dante.
Joan and MJF

Interesting - I pulled up my iTunes play counts - which includes some live stuff:

1. Born to Run
2. The River
3. Thunder Road
4. Badlands
5. 10th Avenue Freeze out
6. Rosalita
7. Born in the USA
8. Johnny 99
9. My Hometown
10. Glory Days

I don't listen to Springsteen as often these days, but when I do, I am definitely pulling up older stuff.

All-time setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/stats/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html
Interesting - I pulled up my iTunes play counts - which includes some live stuff:

1. Born to Run
2. The River
3. Thunder Road
4. Badlands
5. 10th Avenue Freeze out
6. Rosalita
7. Born in the USA
8. Johnny 99
9. My Hometown
10. Glory Days

I don't listen to Springsteen as often these days, but when I do, I am definitely pulling up older stuff.
VINDICATION!!!!!!!!

(For the record, I don't really care at this point. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my perception has been warped by my Jersey upbringing, or the fact that I'm GenX. I was mostly reacting to the idea that either of those songs were some sort of underground cult hits known only by the diehards.)

Big fan I am. Love the energy he puts in his work. The album he put out after the 911 terrorist attacks was soulful and mourning and helped me heal and recover.

However, his version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town is so repetitively irritating and grating that it could replace water boarding as the preferred method of extracting information from a prisoner.

not a fan. saw him Feb. 1975 back when he was pretty good prior to Born To Run.

co-headlined with Ritchie Havens in a 3,700 seat venue.

Havens was better. performed longer with more passion.

Was never really a fan, then got tickets to see him in Seattle. They showed up 2 1/2 hours late, the first couple songs sucked and we left. Definitely fall on the "hate" side now.

From another board, someone's impression of Bruce Springsteen:

Well Lipstick Suzy told Cue Ball Annie that Spanish Tony and Weak Kneed Willy were lookin' for a fight
Then Pancake Jimmy told Stutter Box Bobby that Big Boob Jenny was outta sight
So hop on the back of my bike and we'll go for a ride
And kick the Moon 'til it bleeds daylight AND I SWEAR IT'LL BE ALRIGHT HUH-WUNNN TOO THEE FAWWWWWWWWWWW

Users who are viewing this thread