What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does the Human Race make it to 2200 AD? (1 Viewer)

Or do we kill ourselves off?

• Yes, we make it.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • No, we are doomed before then

Votes: 22 25.6%

• Total voters

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Shower thought this morning when thinking about my kids and what their kids will be like.   Thinking a bit further down the line, is there a human race in 200 years?  We seem to be accelerating towards all out war again.  Population is booming.  Resources are starting to dwindle.  The Earth is getting angry with tons of huge hurricanes, fires, floods, earthquakes.  

Are we still around in 200 years as a species? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shower thought this morning when thinking about my kids and what their kids will be like.   Thinking a bit further down the line, is there a human race in 200 years?  We seem to be accelerating towards all out war again.  Population is booming.  Resources are starting to dwindle.  The Earth is getting angry with tons of huge hurricanes, fires, floods, earthquakes.  

Are we still around in 200 years as a species? 
We aren't going to have a global war.  And if we did, it would only trim down the population. 

Resources aren't even close to "dwindling" in reality.  Maybe Helium, but we can make more of that if we really needed it.

Population is growing too fast, but it will reach a balance at some point.  Sure this is a problem, but it would take something else to wipe out the species.

Global warming (or whatever it is called now) is causing lots of extreme weather issues.  We will adapt to this, but it will hardly end humanity.

IMO, the only real threats to our existence as a species would be unintended consequences of a legit Artificial Intelligence or an asteroid hitting the earth.  Anything else could take out pockets of humanity, but I don't see the entire human race being made extinct.

There are several fatal flaws with your argument, and Jayrod has pointed them out, conveniently enough, so that I don't have to. 

We aren't going to have a global war.  And if we did, it would only trim down the population. 

IMO, the only real threats to our existence as a species would be unintended consequences of a legit Artificial Intelligence or an asteroid hitting the earth.  Anything else could take out pockets of humanity, but I don't see the entire human race being made extinct.
There are many nasty scenarios that could wipe out 90% of humanity. Depending on how far in the future you're talking, all such scenarios leave between ~800 million and ~1.5 billion people left to carry on.

I never worried during the Cold War because i had faith in MAD keeping us safe. With the great number of civil wars i fear to occur in the coming century, however, we will indeed have the recipe for annihilation - atomics+renegades.

I think we will become multi-planetary and figure out some semblance of immortality before we go extinct.
Trump plans on starting to build a new planet after completion of the wall. It will only be populated by the best of the human population. It will be placed in the same orbit as earth. We shall call the planet Trump.

This. Even a full on nuclear war from US, China, Russia, etc would not take out the entire population of the planet. I doubt a true pandemic (no the crap the press uses to fear monger, but a real one that had exponentially higher deaths than the few thousand portrayed as pandemics) or even a series of them could do it completely. 

No sizeable country has experienced population decline of more than a few % in the last few decades, but I did see a pretty convincing movie with Tea Leoni that suggested we're doomed so, I'll say, No, we won't make it. 

Interesting book I just finished called The Road.  ***Minor spoilers below***

It was a post-apocalyptic setting, but no explanation of what happened.  There were no plants and no animals left alive, just a small number of scavenging humans scouring the earth for canned goods with some turning to cannibalism.  It also didn't mention if it was truly global or just in North America.  I can't imagine anything that would truly kill ALL animals, but allow a handful of humans to survive.  Creatures like mice and insects would be almost impossible to eliminate if some humans somehow made it.  Same with plants.  It was a great story, just seemed scientifically improbable.

ETA:  It did mention dogs briefly, but in a distant memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted no.

You look at the existential threats humans worry about now - nukes, climate change, super AI - and none of them existed 100 years ago. And technology grows at exponential rate. As we continue to advance we're also likely to continue creating new potential ways to wipe ourselves out.

Yes/no?

Do you mean our specific Species, or some lineage of "beings" that fall directly from us, or some combination of both be the determiner genetic or "if we are like what humans are, today"

In the short term, it comes down to having one or multiple cataclysmic events.  Nuclear Holocaust on a grand scale, a virus or series of virus / bacterium that we can't control.  Rising water that tips the scale of world power and balance, creating widespread ongoing war, possibly isolated some communities while potential degredation of technology - who the hell knows.  As noted, maybe we end up on other planets.

In ALL of these scenarios, I don't see every single human going extinct.  Some will survive - due to genetic mutation, luck, the latter than then results over time in the former.  Not sure how much of that mutation will be immediate, or within one or two generations, or get things started for a drastic evolutionary change to occur later - but at what point are we "not human" at least if there is some huge environmental stressor before 2200.  With 80 years to go, my short answer would be we will be around, but quite likely on our way on a major divergence genetically from what we have been over the past what, 20,000+ years, if not further back?

I'm in the Skynet camp. We're collectively becoming dumber, machines will learn there is little use for us, and they'll find a way to get rid of us. 

Prob more than 200 years, but I think technology will be our undoing.

We're definitely capable of making it to 2200. War, famine, and disease will only do so much, and humans have figured out how to reproduce faster than we die. Resources aren't much of an issue, and the technology to make said resources available continues to improve.

I'm in the Skynet camp. We're collectively becoming dumber, machines will learn there is little use for us, and they'll find a way to get rid of us. 

Prob more than 200 years, but I think technology will be our undoing.
I don't know that I would call it an "undoing" but more of our evolution.  I see a merger of human and machine.  We are already there in some respects.  Androids live among us!!!  A pacemaker here...an artificial limb/organ there... Companies like Elon Musk's Neuralink are exploring ways to integrate the human brain with computer.  We will continue to evolve away from being human towards becoming machine.  I am not really sure at what point this type of integration means we are no longer human, but this seems like the natural course of evolution to me...

In most doomsday scenarios capable of eradicating the entire species, it normally involves either enough nuclear/biological weaponry and fallout to overkill the entire planet OR it involves a chain reaction of failed water, food, air, etc resources. 

You never know about war and weapons but all the others probably seem unlikely to fully finish us off in under 200 years. 

Robots, AI, etc-I don't think so. If anything, technology and cyborgism and symbiont partnerships would likely extend life. Maybe not in the way we want it but probably would.

I firmly believe we are within striking distance (30-50 years) of harnessing the type of technology that will allow us to essentially store our "data" that makes us "us" and begin hopping into manufactured or otherwise suitable hosts. At that point, unless a subtle level of immortality tends to drive us insane, we can, for the most part, live forever. Use up your body and jump to the next one.  Put it on a great server and sail that space ship a million lightyears out somewhere else inhabitable and reboot. It is not as far fetched as a lot of people might think. 

Interesting book I just finished called The Road.  ***Minor spoilers below***

It was a post-apocalyptic setting, but no explanation of what happened.  There were no plants and no animals left alive, just a small number of scavenging humans scouring the earth for canned goods with some turning to cannibalism.  It also didn't mention if it was truly global or just in North America.  I can't imagine anything that would truly kill ALL animals, but allow a handful of humans to survive.  Creatures like mice and insects would be almost impossible to eliminate if some humans somehow made it.  Same with plants.  It was a great story, just seemed scientifically improbable.

ETA:  It did mention dogs briefly, but in a distant memory.
Also a decent movie imo

Outside of a massive meteor hit, I don't see humans going completely away.  Some type of pandemic is entirely possible to significantly reduce the population though.

Either man made or natural.  See the book/movie "Inferno", or Frank Herbert's "The White Plague".

Users who are viewing this thread