What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does the NFL take concussions seriously? (1 Viewer)

JetMaxx

Footballguy
Late in the first half both Kolb and Bradley spent time on the ground attended to by trainers after the concussions were incurred. Bradley staggered like Otis on a Saturday night Bronx binge and Kolb clearly was punch drunk after being slammed to the turf by Mathews. Both, however, returned to action during the next series for their respective units. After re-evaluation, both were out for the remainder of the game post-half time. If they were considered unfit to continue after half time, why were they allowed to return to the game in the first half?

Late in the first half both Kolb and Bradley spent time on the ground attended to by trainers after the concussions were incurred. Bradley staggered like Otis on a Saturday night Bronx binge and Kolb clearly was punch drunk after being slammed to the turf by Mathews. Both, however, returned to action during the next series for their respective units. After re-evaluation, both were out for the remainder of the game post-half time. If they were considered unfit to continue after half time, why were they allowed to return to the game in the first half?
I thought this was curious when I saw it. My guess is that a phone call was placed from the league office to the Eagles locker room at halftime reminding them of the NFL concussion policy.

From the ESPN article:

Coach Andy Reid defended his decision to let Kolb and Stewart return because "they were fine" after early testing."All the questions that they answered with the doctors registered well," Reid said. "But as it went on, they weren't feeling well, so we took them out."

What were the docs asking them, what's your name and how many fingers am I holding up?? For a league that's supposedly so aware of the damage that concussions can cause, that's a pretty poor response.

I heard the opposite. That Vick is more likely to play vs the Lions.

Either way the Eagles screwed up big time on this one. There is going to be some backlash I think.

The answer is no, they really don't. The only reason they are putting in these new concussion rules are due to all the damning studies on the long term effects of concussions on many of the aging NFLers.

Kolb just got his bell rung a little, once he clears the cobwebs out he will be fine.

Kolb just got his bell rung a little, once he clears the cobwebs out he will be fine.
I have it from a pretty reliable source that Kolb considers it the worst concussion he's ever had. Now I don't know his concussion history but it would seem a far cry from getting his bell run a little.

JetMaxx said:
Da Guru said:
JetMaxx said:
I have it from a pretty reliable source that Kolb considers it the worst concussion he's ever had. Now I don't know his concussion history but it would seem a far cry from getting his bell run a little.
I thought the dude was supposed to be pretty hard core, you know, hunting boars with knives an all. In all seriousness I've never had a concussion and cannot speculate on the degree. I just hope he gets back sooner than later, because I think it's too early to call this a qb controversy and too early to write him off. Though the longer he's out, the more time Vick will have to prove himself.

Da Guru said:
JetMaxx said:
This has been the mantra in football from the youth level to the NFL since basically forever.Unfortunately, the medical data is pretty clear that "just getting your bell rung" is often a concussion that can have devasting effects on a person's long term health.

The NFL is finally attempting to take concussions seriously (IMO due to liability concerns) but they clearly still do not. Its part of the culture of football and it's gonna take a while (and more direction from the league office) for things to really change.

Even though I'm an Eagles fan, I think this thread should be retitled, "Do the Eagles take concussions seriously?" Because really you're talking about what one team did with two of its important young players, versus anything we saw yesterday league wide. As someone mentioned already in this thread, the NFL has been very public with the ongoing results of concussion studies and this offseason raised the level of precaution is recommends teams use in those situations.

What's ironic about the Eagles decision is that they treated Westbrook's concussions with kid gloves. :thumbup:

Bradley looked like he had a nerve stinger (when the neck/spine pinches a nerve). On the ground he wasn't moving his left arm much, and when they helped him up he was testing the fingers on his left hand and bending them back like he was just getting feeling back in them.

And yeah, I don't think it is a question about the NFL treating these injuries seriously, I think the Eagles specifically should be questioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have there been studies of people with concussions that lead normal lives? What are the numbers. We now know yes concussions are worse than previously thought and people may not see the effect for years and hurt their way of life.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the numbers compared to people that are "fine" but also suffered concussions.

Is this a legitimate movement? Are we swaying too far to the other side of the concussion issue?

I'm generally curious, as a person who has suffered multiple concussions, are becoming too cautious, if that is even possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Guru said:
This has been the mantra in football from the youth level to the NFL since basically forever.Unfortunately, the medical data is pretty clear that "just getting your bell rung" is often a concussion that can have devasting effects on a person's long term health.
:unsure: Was Da Guru being sarcastic? I thought the whole point of the new concussion rules was to limit further injury for guys who kept playing when "they just got their bell rung a little".

Bradley looked like he had a nerve stinger (when the neck/spine pinches a nerve). On the ground he wasn't moving his left arm much, and when they helped him up he was testing the fingers on his left hand and bending them back like he was just getting feeling back in them.

And yeah, I don't think it is a question about the NFL treating these injuries seriously, I think the Eagles specifically should be questioned.
I don't know what they showed on TV but I was there and when Bradley went to stand up after launching himself into Ernie Sims' leg, he looked like he had just done that goofy circle around the bat 10 times and try to run a straight line exercise. It was like one leg was 10" shorter than the other and after staggering for 5 yds he ended up doing a face plant. He was clearly concussed and showed it dramatically.

I don't know what they showed on TV but I was there and when Bradley went to stand up after launching himself into Ernie Sims' leg, he looked like he had just done that goofy circle around the bat 10 times and try to run a straight line exercise. It was like one leg was 10" shorter than the other and after staggering for 5 yds he ended up doing a face plant. He was clearly concussed and showed it dramatically.
They showed exactly that on TV. As soon as I saw him stumble around I said looks like another concussion victim already. I was amazed to see him back on the field the next series, but not surprised to hear this morning on ESPN that he did indeed have a concussion.

I second an earlier post in this thread that it reflects more on the Eagles and their staff than on the league. I imagine a league official reminded them of the policy and that is why both were taken out later as they should have been.

Da Guru said:
:mellow: Was Da Guru being sarcastic? I thought the whole point of the new concussion rules was to limit further injury for guys who kept playing when "they just got their bell rung a little".
Yes I was. That is how screwed up the announcers used to be when players got a concussion.

Bradley....was clearly concussed and showed it dramatically.
They showed it on TV and yes, he clearly had a concussion. I didn't mention the "nerve stinger" as evidence against a concussion, but in addition to it, and all the more reason to question why he was put back in.

Sal Palantonio is on ESPN right now reporting the NFL and NFLPA both investigated the Eagles handling of the concussions for the two players, and both found that all the NFL's procedures were followed properly.

Sal Palantonio is on ESPN right now reporting the NFL and NFLPA both investigated the Eagles handling of the concussions for the two players, and both found that all the NFL's procedures were followed properly.
That proves the policy is a joke then. A person with 10% vision could have seen Bradley should not have been back in the game. It also shows the Eagles training staff, as high a praise as Burkholder gets, was clueless on this. How can they say no one say him fall on the field? mind boggling

Users who are viewing this thread