What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your league allow ties during the regular season? (1 Viewer)

lion_crazz

Footballguy
So far this year, there have been 4 games in the league that I am the commissioner of that have ended in a tie. Some of the members, specifically the ones who have fallen victim to the ties, are asking for a tiebreaker to be put into place. I was just wondering how other leagues handle ties. Do your leagues allow ties during the regular season or do you have a tiebreaker in your rules?

decimal scoring = little to no chance of a tie.

we have ties... we don't use decimal scoring. we live with it. as much as a tie sucks, it's an advantage when standings are tight.

we've had 2 matches end in a tie this year in our league. never happened before, but we live with it, because we dont have any other rule for it.

also, NFL games can end in a tie, so you're being semi-authentic.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far this year, there have been 4 games in the league that I am the commissioner of that have ended in a tie. Some of the members, specifically the ones who have fallen victim to the ties, are asking for a tiebreaker to be put into place. I was just wondering how other leagues handle ties. Do your leagues allow ties during the regular season or do you have a tiebreaker in your rules?
We use a tie-breaker... "best ball" style I guess (best player score from Team A vs best player from Team B)... If they still tie, we go to the next 2 players, and so on.Maybe not the best way to do it, but it's been in place for 18 years (and counting) with no complaints. We did count ties in our first season... LOTS of complaining that year! :D

We use decimal scoring so it's kind of rare for games to end up in ties, but it has happened twice this year. No complaints though.

We allow ties. We get one maybe 2 every other year or so. Playoffs we submit 3 players for tiebreakers.

If you want an easy way, as long as your schedule is setup correct - Home team gets the W :shrug:

We have a tiebreak format. First tiebreak goes to highest D/ST points and second tiebreak is kicker points.

Even if you don't use a tiebreaker for the regular season, you best have one in place for playoff games.

Here is what we use:

The first tie-breaker is the highest scoring bench player. If the game is still tied, the next tie breaker is highest scoring TOTAL bench. If the game is STILL tied we go down the list of highest scoring starter until the tie is broken. If somehow the game is STILL tied, we go down the list of highest scoring bench player until the tie is broken.

simple. use decimal scoring. I do this on MFL, its easy to do. I do this in the league i commish.

We also have tie breakers in all 3 leagues i'm in. i think the 1st one is total points, then division record.

IMO, the most important thing in FF leagues is trying to cover all your bases so there is little room for controversy.

Even if you don't use a tiebreaker for the regular season, you best have one in place for playoff games.Here is what we use:The first tie-breaker is the highest scoring bench player. If the game is still tied, the next tie breaker is highest scoring TOTAL bench. If the game is STILL tied we go down the list of highest scoring starter until the tie is broken. If somehow the game is STILL tied, we go down the list of highest scoring bench player until the tie is broken.
:goodposting: Ours for playoffs is: Submit 2 bench players for tiebreaking purposesIf the 2 players tie then it is as follows. Avg top 3 scorers of the active roster TD scored Reserve Points Coin FlipJust for reference if you don't have playoff game tiebreakers ready

Ties are allowed during the regular season.

Tiebreaker during the playoffs are:

[*]Total offensive yards by starters. (This would include any passing/rushing/receiving yards accumulated by the QB and the 5 RB/WR).

[*]Total TD's scored by team. (This would including passing TDs, rushing/receiving TDs and return TDs by the defense).

[*]Fewest turnovers by team. (This would include any interceptions thrown and any fumbles lost by the starting players).

[*]Fewest yards allowed by starting defense.

[*]Coin flip.

Even if you don't use a tiebreaker for the regular season, you best have one in place for playoff games.Here is what we use:The first tie-breaker is the highest scoring bench player. If the game is still tied, the next tie breaker is highest scoring TOTAL bench. If the game is STILL tied we go down the list of highest scoring starter until the tie is broken. If somehow the game is STILL tied, we go down the list of highest scoring bench player until the tie is broken.
:goodposting: Ours for playoffs is this just for referenceSubmit 2 bench players for tiebreaking purposesIf the 2 players tie then it is as follows. Avg top 3 scorers of the active roster TD scored Reserve Points Coin Flip
If I was ever in a game that got decided by a coin flip I'd probably quit the league. Just saying. Decimal scoring is easily the best way to go about not having a tie.

:goodposting: Ours for playoffs is this just for referenceSubmit 2 bench players for tiebreaking purposesIf the 2 players tie then it is as follows. Avg top 3 scorers of the active roster TD scored Reserve Points Coin Flip
If I was ever in a game that got decided by a coin flip I'd probably quit the league. Just saying. Decimal scoring is easily the best way to go about not having a tie.
First off we allow ties in the regular season. And we are not going to decimal scoring just for the playoffs. So what do you do for tiebreakers in case there is a tie in a decimal score playoff?FTR, My 18 years as coimmish we have never had one tie playoff game.I don't know the exact odds but the odds of 2 random players tying, then the average points of your top 3 active roster scores tying, then the number of TD's scored tying, then the total points of all your bench players BEFORE you even get to a coin flip has to be pretty high odds. :shrug:Oh FYI - NFL goes to a coin flip eventually also ;)

My league has standard integer scoring. But if a tie should occur, we break down the scoring to the decimal level to break the first tie-breaker. If after a decimal scoring there still remains a tie (never happened in 15 years) then it's the team that scored the most TD's.

Just use decimal scoring...it's kind of dumb not to when you think about it. You're making 24 rush yards worth the same as 20 or 29.

And if you refuse to - then make decimals your tiebreaker.

If that fails, just count the tie. We have never, in any of my leagues, had a tie - all use decimal scoring. We ha done guy lose a playoff game last year by 0.34 points. If it had not been decimal scoring and they'd tied, and the tiebreaker was something stupid like bench points or highest scoring player, then the guy with the better team (the one with more points) would have lost. As a party who wasn't in that game, I'd have been PISSED.

Point being, if it for some reason isn't feasible to use decimal scoring, then make decimal scoring your tiebreaker, at least. Because some guy who has Tom Brady score 55 to carry a bunch of crap shouldn't beat the guy who had 5 players score 20+...

give the "home team" (higher seed in playoffs) a .50 home field advantage. this is assuming you don't use decimal scoring

I have my scoring so that the decimal goes down to the 1 trillionth place.

Just kidding, but I'd like to somehow do this.

The league I run allows ties in the regular season, but for the playoffs, each team submits three players, starters or bench, to decide the tie breaker.

I never had a problem with my decimal team.

Another league uses bench points for tie breakers, and it drives me completely nuts. No league should ever be decided by bench players. They are on the bench because they aren't suppose to help you win that week. That, and the fact that everybody constructs their bench differently.

I do have a very solid system for playoff ties, but never had

Any complaints about regular season ties until this year.

I think decimal scoring sounds the best though. Instinctive, your post made the most sense. Why should 24 yards be the same as 20 or 29? They are not the same and should not be awarded as such.

I do have a very solid system for playoff ties, but never hadAny complaints about regular season ties until this year.I think decimal scoring sounds the best though. Instinctive, your post made the most sense. Why should 24 yards be the same as 20 or 29? They are not the same and should not be awarded as such.
Thanks - that's why we moved to decimal scoring around 5-7 years ago in my main, most storied league. One other thing we have experimented with (sort of related to ties) is a homefield advantage in the playoffs. We are settled for now on just doing a 3 week playoff with byes for the top 2 teams so they are guaranteed shots at money (1/2/3 have a tiered payout). We've also done 1 through 3 point advantages for higher seeds in games.If you can't get to decimal scoring, I'd vote for ties allowed in regular season, and higher seeds advance in the playoffs.

give the "home team" (higher seed in playoffs) a .50 home field advantage. this is assuming you don't use decimal scoring
This is the best answer. Allow ties during the regular season, and then the higher seed automatically wins the tiebreaker in the playoffs. That is the way to go.

We just had our first tie since going to decimal format.

131.22 to 131.22

Ironically, it was between the two worst teams in the league by a good amount. Made for some easy one liners.

Given that you can only get the last digit to not equal .05 or .10 due to return yard bonus it was highly ironic that both teams had guys who generated points to get to a 0.02 number. Any combo of yards/TDs/DEF/K/PPR are all on .1 or .05 point structures. Returns at .03 per yard.

Our 4th and last tiebreaker is a coin toss. So unless Tyche is feeling chippy that day, ties are not possible in our league.

As most have said, decimal scoring is the best way to avoid ties.

MFL also allows leagues to select one or multiple players to serve as tiebreakers. It can be restricted to non-starting players, or any rostered player.

Of the 2 leagues I'm in that don't use decimal scoring, one uses one non-starting player as tiebreaker, with a second tiebreaker being total points for offensive players (IDP league). The other league uses A) highest bench player, B) total bench points.

We use decimal scoring so we rarely have ties but we do allow them in regular season.

For playoff games, the home team (higher seeded team) wins a tie.

Our league uses two digit decimal scoring and we actually had a tie this season. There is no tie-breaker for something this rare in our league. I don't know if I have ever seen it before?

First off we allow ties in the regular season. And we are not going to decimal scoring just for the playoffs. So what do you do for tiebreakers in case there is a tie in a decimal score playoff?FTR, My 18 years as coimmish we have never had one tie playoff game.I don't know the exact odds but the odds of 2 random players tying, then the average points of your top 3 active roster scores tying, then the number of TD's scored tying, then the total points of all your bench players BEFORE you even get to a coin flip has to be pretty high odds. :shrug:Oh FYI - NFL goes to a coin flip eventually also ;)
We use decimal scoring and have not had a tie since we started it three years ago. In the playoffs, a tie goes to the higher seeded team. That's one of the few spiffs that a higher seeded team gets. We don't have any byes.

Users who are viewing this thread