What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your league do anything cool? (1 Viewer)

Darcimer

Footballguy
The single best thing I like about my leagues are the fact that they are not "just like every other league". In an effort to make my leagues more fun and less ordinary, I'd like to know what some of your leagues offer as fresh or innovative. ( I have substantial pull in this regard)

Some things that we have been doing:

All teams required to draft a minmum of 1 rookie.

Start a fullback( took it out this year because the majority of FB scored goose eggs last year, very hard to make yardage bonus in the league)

Blind bid waivers

Experimented with special teams vs kicker-would have worked if it wasn't so difficult to break old habits

For the IDP's

Start 1CB, and 1 S instad of 2 DB's.

Start one inside(or middle) and one outisde LB.

Start 1 DT and 1 DE instead of 2 DL's.

1 Flex IDP

Some things I'd like to incorporate

-Scoring for offensive lines. or even better IOP's. I have heard that the NFL keep stats on pancake blocks.

-I'd like to see the flex position be declared immediately after the draft. Make it whatever you want, but then you stick with the offense ( maybe allowed one change), to simulate your particular offensive style. Might be too hard core for some.

-I'd like to find a really good special teams scoring system. Some people think it's far too random, but it is a huge part of the real game..

I'd love to her some unique ( not crazy) things you use..

TWA

Scoring is based on points awarded for winning categories compared to the usual point per variable. Teams are forced to be more well rounded than rely on 1 player blowing up in garbage time.

The single best thing I like about my leagues are the fact that they are not "just like every other league". In an effort to make my leagues more fun and less ordinary, I'd like to know what some of your leagues offer as fresh or innovative. ( I have substantial pull in this regard)Some things that we have been doing:All teams required to draft a minmum of 1 rookie.Start a fullback( took it out this year because the majority of FB scored goose eggs last year, very hard to make yardage bonus in the league)Blind bid waiversExperimented with special teams vs kicker-would have worked if it wasn't so difficult to break old habitsFor the IDP'sStart 1CB, and 1 S instad of 2 DB's.Start one inside(or middle) and one outisde LB.Start 1 DT and 1 DE instead of 2 DL's.1 Flex IDPSome things I'd like to incorporate-Scoring for offensive lines. or even better IOP's. I have heard that the NFL keep stats on pancake blocks.-I'd like to see the flex position be declared immediately after the draft. Make it whatever you want, but then you stick with the offense ( maybe allowed one change), to simulate your particular offensive style. Might be too hard core for some.-I'd like to find a really good special teams scoring system. Some people think it's far too random, but it is a huge part of the real game..I'd love to her some unique ( not crazy) things you use..TWA
sounds like you're starting to get too complicated. pancake blocks? how much fun could it possibly be to watch a football game in hopes that your o lineman gets you some pancake blocks. my league doesnt have anything wild, but we've had our league for 14 years now, and used "Terry Bradshaw Fantasy Football" in year one, and have yet to change the scoring system or position requirements yet. we start 2 qbs, 3 rbs, 4 wrs, a k and d. the scoring is a little strange (some may say stupid), as wrs and rbs have to rush for 100 yds or more to get yardage points, and qbs have to throw for 250, and you get double pts for out of position tds (rb catching a td, qb running one, etc), but that's the scoring system the bradshaw software used in year 1, and we'll never change it for tradition's sake.

$50 weekly winner for most passing yards, most catches etc. different category every week.

$150 real money salary cap for blind bidding, builds the pot up nicely.

the scoring is a little strange (some may say stupid), as wrs and rbs have to rush for 100 yds or more to get yardage points, and qbs have to throw for 250,
I didn't mention it because I thought it was quirky too, but we have the same system. The commish regards these numbers as traditional "hallmark" threshholds. No performance based points are awarded until they reach these numbers. And at that, it's a 5 point bonus. Other than that, it's scoring and IDP only. ( which gives more power to the IDP's at least for consistency)We don't use the pancake blocks, I just thought it was a neat statistic. We don't implement anything that comes off as "gimmicky". It would be nice to have to start an offensive line, but there simply isn't anyway to score it, at least in a way that reasonable reflects the game. Their effectiveness is already scored by the success or lack thereof, of the running back and QB..The FB is a dying breed. However, I could see maybe changing this to a change of pace back, or a goal-line back. The problem here is that there is no official position designation for this. We used to compile a list of eligible fullbacks, so this might be one avenue..Feel free to take a peak at mfl 46144...

Last edited by a moderator:
As commissioner this year, I convinced our 12 team league to offer a $20 prize for high points for the 17 week season.

Then I read that other leagues offer $50 :loco:

Well, it's a start.

We also bid on players that get hot that went undrafted. We only draft 8 total players for instance:

QB: Brady (bidding for Vick this week as he went undrafted)

RB: R. Brown

RB: R. Bush (questioning his fantasy value right now, no ppr). Watching what's going on.

WR: Holt

WR: Coles

WR or TE: Jones (looking to bid on A. Bryant perhaps as he went undrafted)

K: Rackers

D/ST: Baltimore

* Last year Larry Johnson went undrafted and we out bid three other owners and picked up Larry for $250 and he delivered all of that and a lot more.

We use a hybrid of the antsports "Head to Head Victory Points System", which is a combination of H2H and total points. Our standings are based on points earned each week, not strictly H2H or total points scored.

Each owner is matched in a H2H game, and is awarded 3 points for winning that match-up. Owners are also awarded 1 point for each of the other 6 teams(8 team league) that they out-score. So, the high-scorer gets 9 points in the standings(3 for W, 6 for outscoring everyone else)...........Low scorer gets 0 and everyone else falls in between depending on wins and points.

It really seems to seperate the better teams. It also eliminates some of the luck but keeps the H2H rivalry aspect intact.

$50 award to the highest scoring team each week. (Through week 17)
For out poor league its $2 for weekly high points thru week 16.Week 17 we play for money left over. Division with highest total score (total of all teams) wins the kitty and splits it among themselves..

Some fun stuff:

When we welcome in a new owner, our league's existing owners get to name his team for his first year. (The "Meat Whistles" are this year's newbies.)

We have a couple of owners that are particularly heated rivals, each year when they play each other it's called "The Game for The Name", winner renames the loser's team for the rest of the season (twice it's ended up on the trophy.)

League champ gets to choose the following season's draft location and seating arrangements.

Structure stuff:

We keep our 2 conference/ 4 division structure in place for two years and then draw from a hat to re-align. It's one more reason for a BBQ in the offseason and is fun to see guys rooting for certain owners to end up in their division, etc. It's a nice blend of rivalry-making and change.

We use a salary cap, limited cuts during the season (5 per team), unlimited trades, extended contracts for up to 3 players (limited so everyone ends up back in the draft pool at some point), and blind bidding with the team's free salary cap money. The limit on cuts makes them a commodity that - along with cap money, draft picks and players - becomes a hot item in trades. The structure fosters an active trading league that requires a lot of interaction and keeps everyone awake.

Other than that, our message board is very active and we use the league news and league polls to stoke the fire on weekly topics (just to keep the insults / boasting / smack flowing.)

Our league's website is pretty cool...graphically rich, weekly power rankings, all the league info...we even have a whole meta-mythology for our league...fake news stories, columnists, a faux-ESPN news team with a regular cast each year. Advertising is even thrown in, to add to the versimilitude.

we also use a real money blind bid waiver system. (cap of 75 dollars). There care always guys who bid way too high fort certain players that makes for fun conversations/smack talk. Pennington went for $23 bucks, toomer ent for 20 and sd defense went for 20. The owners of these players all got ripped on. This is are 11th year so you would think some of these guys would know better.

Wow, some creative stuff coming out here... One league I am in, has a combo redraft/auction during a 5 course meal. We don't dress appropriately for the atmosphere, but it's a private room.. We have our regular redraft, then we have an auction for the last four spots. I don't have any pure auction leagues. Does anyone have an online (MFL?) draft that they might let me look at for auction results.

I particularly like the rookie rule..

I've been in two long term leagues as time has passed.

It would be my opinion that the more owners you can keep over the long haul the better. If someone is just not a good owner however or never participates it may be best to ask them if they really want to continue on at some point.

The more owners that show up at the draft the better as well.

A Dynasty format really needs everyone to agree to live with the negatives that come with it. Some teams may dominate for years while others sit in the dog house. Keeper is a bit more friendly and if everyone knows there are going to be ups and downs but not to extremes its good.

I think Point Per Reception (PPR) has also been helpful to many leagues.

There was a suggestion that I think would be fun to try out. "You" as the team owner can set the type of position you want to run with. If your in a Keeper or Dynasty it would really be helpful, but it would be fun either way. At the start of the year determine if your going to run a 2 RB, 3 WR / TE system or a 1 RB, 4 WR / TE system. Maybe even have something for TE scoring to allow for a 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE set. I recall one where a TE could gain a 2 or 3 point bonus for 75 yards receiving instead of 100 yards for a WR.

We have a Trophy that travels around for each winner to put a name plate on. This year we need to get a new base for the trophy or add something to the bottom for more names. Thats kind of fun.

There are a bunch of Automated websites and such. Ours uses CBS Sportsline that has a few nice features. A scrolling banner, a preview of games, a message board, helpful stats for everything. The ability to keep track of years of data and scores is pretty cool too. One new feature I like this year is the chat. You can bash each other and bs about whatever as the games go by.

Our divisions are named by the previous seasons Fantasy Bowl participants. They also cannot be in the same division. That turns out to be funny in some cases. We had the Elite division last season and it was not so good, someone dubbed it the E Light division and it stuck for the remainder as a jab.

We can draft a college or college players as long as you are willing to not have that roster spot for the whole year. R. Bush for example was drafted last year in like round 5 and as a "freebie" each team is allowed one college player to be protected beyond the 3 normal Keepers. This season I had Lendale White.

This is a game, have fun with the game. Sure everyone wants to win but if you lose, lose gracefully too. That way you can look forward to playing each other next time the match comes up.

Once in a while depending on who the other owner is I give them a phone call during a huge play and razz them some. Of course my own phone gets called from time to time, but thats dependent on the other guy. Some get pissed, others just laugh it off.

Hopefully that information is at least worth reading.

G'luck this week!

We take a yearly road trip.

Been to:

Cleveland

Buffalo

Chicago

San Fran & Oakland -Sunday & Monday game.

New Orleans

Tennesse

Cincy

Green Bay

Indy

This season:

Arizona

Our league has been draft value based for many years. When the draft is held the players are assigned a Draft Value (DV). A player drafted in Round 5 has a DV 5. The following season we subtract 3 from all the DVs. So next season you can keep your (now) DV 2 and forgo your second round draft choice. Keep as many as you like. This keeps most big name players circulating from year to year since you can't keep a DV -2. The DVs also drive the waiver process. If I'm dropping a DV7 and you are dropping a DV13 for a particular player, I sign him to my roster as my new DV7.

We have payouts for position MVPs (high YTD).

We hold an NBA style lottery for Draft Choice. The winner may or may not decide to use his choice for the 1 slot. The resulting draft order determines the conferences (evens and odds)

O-Line scoring is something that our league has talked about too. Scoring could be based on average yards per carry, first downs, sacks allowed, etc. any other ideas?

$50 award to the highest scoring team each week. (Through week 17)
$75 per week for high scores. Everyone pays attention to their teams with that much on the line every week. As many owners as can meet in Vegas at one of our owners homes for a Superbowl party and the trophy is given to the winner of our league. We used to give out checks at that time too, but noone wanted to wait that long; so checks are mailed out as soon as our superbowl is over. Party is catered and everyone gets to moan or brag about their teams. :yes:

We have a unique (I think) standings points system that's designed to take some of the sting out of the vagaries of head-to-head match-ups, and reward the highest-scoring teams. All head-to-head winners get two points, and the rest of the system breaks down this way: four points for the highest-scoring team of the week, three for the second-highest, two for the third-highest, and one for the fourth- and fifth-highest. So if you score the second-highest total of the week and happen to play the top-scoring team, you're still rewarded with three points.

Actually stole this from a FBG member several years back:

The Rae Carruth Award:

It's really not an award but rather a $10 fine to any team that has a player on their roster or Team Defense (regular starter based on playing over 50% of the games to that point in the season) get arrested, charged, convicted, sued or imprisoned during the season. Imprisoned is defined by, but not limited to; having a mug shot taken, handcuffed and brought to a local law enforcement office or spending an evening in the jail. OJ amendment: Carruth fines are not reversed in the event charges are dropped or the player if found innocent. The event directly related to the charges, conviction, etc.must have taken place after the draft for that respective season. There is no limit to the number of awards handed out in a season.

We award $25 weekly prizes for our 13 week season. The prizes are as follows:

WEEKLY PRIZES

Week 1: Top Scoring Team

Week 2: Closest Victory

Week 3: Lowest Scoring Victory

Week 4: Biggest Blow Out

Week 5: Best Record/Most Points after Five games

Week 6: Top Scoring Team

Week 7: Closest Victory

Week 8: Lowest Scoring Victory

Week 9: Biggest Blow Out

Week 10: Best Record/Most Points after Ten games

Week 11: Highest Scoring Active Player (Non-kicker)

Week 12: Highest Scoring Active Defense

Week 13: Highest Scoring Active Kicker

We have a 12 team performance league. Six teams make regular playoffs with 5 getting $. The bottom six have what we call a Draft Bowl during the regular playoffs. The 12th seed plays 11, 10 vs 9, 7 vs 8. The winner of the Draft Bowl gets their choice of draft position of the following year; Draft Bowl second gets second choice & so on. The overall Champion gets what is left.

This keeps all players interested through the entire season.

Twice during the season we have MidSeason Meetings where each team must leave 3 players unprotected and then we have a 3 round Supplemental Draft where those players, or any available FA, can be drafted.

Trades are also free during the evening.

We base the next years draft order on the last 4 weeks of the season. In a twelve team league, the four playoff teams go 9-12, but the draft order for 1-8 is based on wins and points of those late season games. This gives them incentives to keep a good lineup in even if they are out of the race.

For the IDP'sStart 1CB, and 1 S instad of 2 DB's.Start one inside(or middle) and one outisde LB.Start 1 DT and 1 DE instead of 2 DL's.1 Flex IDP
Two of my leagues seperate DT/DE and CB/S, and require a 11 man (normal) defense, that is either 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 or a variation of nickel/Dime packages. Makes top DTs and corners worth more to some. I like it, although I'd hope it would be more standard in experienced leagues.

Our league allows for variable offensive formations

Standard: 1QB 2WR 2RB 1TE

Run and shoot: 1QB 4WR 1RB

Power: 1QB 1WR 3RB 1TE

Red Gun: 1QB 3WR 1RB 1TE

Makes bye week line-ups more interesting, standard line-ups still tend to do the best most times.

I've written about our league structure several times in the past, but in brief...as a blend between keeper-by-pick and salary-cap, and a bridge from redraft to dynasty, we have a contract cap league with a yearly cap expansion...drafted players may be granted contracts of any length and remain on the team throughout that term...but each team has a cap on the total number of years they may grant...in the first year the cap was only 8 years...in the second year it expanded to 12, then 20, and so on until we'll eventually have cap space to carry an entire 30 man roster year to year...there's more to this, we actually have rookie and veteran contracts and a free agency period, but you get the idea...

We also have a very active league forum and regular weekly content contributed by a variety of members...these (along with several specific rules about participation and a requirement to attend the draft in person) make this a very active league with great owners...

HTH

For the IDP'sStart 1CB, and 1 S instad of 2 DB's.Start one inside(or middle) and one outisde LB.Start 1 DT and 1 DE instead of 2 DL's.1 Flex IDP
Two of my leagues seperate DT/DE and CB/S, and require a 11 man (normal) defense, that is either 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 or a variation of nickel/Dime packages. Makes top DTs and corners worth more to some. I like it, although I'd hope it would be more standard in experienced leagues.
Yeah, my favorite leagues are the two I play in where you must start at least 1 DT and 2 CB. Full 11 man defenses. For those owners who complain that people can download a cheatsheet and have a good draft, IDP is really where research still makes a noticeable difference.

I don't know how "cool" this is but our commish brought up the idea and we liked it. If you aren't in a league with ALOT of money on the line, you know how some owners tend to forget about their teams once they start off bad. Well, we decided that the last place team has to pay $10 to the winner. That way, everyone will stay somewhat active. WE only put up $30 per person to play and we almost made it that last had to pay another $30, but we decided to be lenient in the 1st year of instituting this.

Two of my leagues seperate DT/DE and CB/S, and require a 11 man (normal) defense, that is either 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 or a variation of nickel/Dime packages. Makes top DTs and corners worth more to some.
A firend of mine plays a league that is only IDP - no offensive players at all and they have to start 3-4-4 or 4-3-4

We hold the 1st round of our rookie draft the same day but prior to the start of the NFL draft.

Then when the NFL draft begins the real fun starts.

My league has four IDP slots. The scoring is setup so two or three IDPs will crack the top ten overall every year. You can also set your lineup to defend against your H2H opponent if you start 3 DBs it kills 1/3 of their WR points and if you start 3 DLs then it kills 1/3 of their RB points. On offense you start QB, RB, TE, WR, and 3 flex so if you guess right you can cripple a ground or air attack. Returners get 1 point for 14 yards so those that get significant PT besides returning have big value especially corners. Example, Terence Mcgee CB BUF has had two top ten overall scoring years and has been drafted in the low 2nd high 3rd the last three years. We also compete against the league average score every week in addition to H2H opponents. This league format has been called "complex" and has "too many rules" but is also heading into its seventh year. Take a peek if you like. http://football19.myfantasyleague.com/2006/home/24657

We have a Progressive. Every week every owner in the league pays $1 into the Progressive pot. There are 12 teams in the league, and it goes for the regular season (13 weeks). It accumulates over time, and from season to season, if no one wins. To win it, you have to have every single one of your starters (we start ten players each week) score 10+ points (standard scoring) on the same week. We've been doing it for a few years and the closest anyone has gotten it 9 players, and that's only happened once. This Progressive may go on forever...and eventually will exceed our annual payout prize.

I play in a keeper/auction league where the IDP points decrease the opposing team's offensive points.

Also the flex gets set via the 'home team' which essentially gives that team the opportunity to weaken the opposition's strongest position by forcing them to play extra players at another position (for example, you can have them star t2 TEs and 4 WRs to keep all their Rbs on the bench - of course, you have to do the same, so you better be sure.) Home Team can either set the flex for the D or the O -- the away team gets to set whatever the Home team does not.

it's an interesting wrinkle on the flex.

My new dynasty league has eliminated PKs (because really, they're all just dumb luck, anyway) in order to try to increase the "skill factor" in fantasy football.

Also, we have "conditional lineups", where you can say "I start Player X, unless he doesn't play, in which case I start Player Y". Then, after the games are done, if you can go into the official gamebook on NFL.com and demonstrate that Player X was declared inactive or didn't play a single snap (both types of players are listed), then you get to use Player Y's score, instead. It's the fantasy-friendly solution to the dreaded GTD (game-time decision)- you just start the GTD and designate a backup in case he can't go.

Users who are viewing this thread