What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dog door (1 Viewer)

Copeman

Footballguy
I need a solution and hopefully someone can help. My back door has two doors, the screen door and the regular door. There is a doggie door in the screen door which my dog uses. With winter coming, I won't have the regular door open at all times so what can I do? Right now when we are gone we just keep the regular door open and lock the screen door so he can come and go as he pleases (fenced yard). I was thinking of putting a doggie door in the regular door but then there will be about an 6 to 8 inch gap between doors, plus the two flaps on both doors will get in the way of each other. Any ideas?

I need a solution and hopefully someone can help. My back door has two doors, the screen door and the regular door. There is a doggie door in the screen door which my dog uses. With winter coming, I won't have the regular door open at all times so what can I do? Right now when we are gone we just keep the regular door open and lock the screen door so he can come and go as he pleases (fenced yard). I was thinking of putting a doggie door in the regular door but then there will be about an 6 to 8 inch gap between doors, plus the two flaps on both doors will get in the way of each other. Any ideas?
Leave the screen door open while the regular door is closed?

That's a thought, thank you. I don't like the weather hitting the regular door but this is an option.

Any more?

That's a thought, thank you. I don't like the weather hitting the regular door but this is an option.

Any more?
Can the flap be removed from the screen door? Flaps won't hit and the interior door will stay mostly protected.

Last edited:

Any more?
Can the flap be removed from the screen door? Flaps won't hit and the interior door will stay mostly protected.
Possible, but there is still a wide gap between the doors. It might work, will see how the dog would respond to that. I don't want him getting "caught up" between the doors. He is a little idiot.

Any more?
How much protection do you expect from a SCREEN door?

Any more?
It's one of those aluminum or steel or whatever doors, with the screen on top that can convert to glass/plexiglass or whatever, in the winter. It's not all "screen".

Any more?
It's one of those aluminum or steel or whatever doors, with the screen on top that can convert to glass/plexiglass or whatever, in the winter. It's not all "screen".
Oh, OK.

Has anyone suggested you teach your dog to use a doorknob yet?

Any more?
This has to be your best bet. I've never seen a doggy door where the flap can't be taken off. We have one going to our basement and I just never installed the flap (3 screws).

Only possible downside is getting a racoon or something on your porch.

Any more?
This has to be your best bet. I've never seen a doggy door where the flap can't be taken off. We have one going to our basement and I just never installed the flap (3 screws).

Yeah, I might have no other choice but to do this. Or as 3C's said, just keep the screen door open. Now all I'll have to figure out is how to train the dog to wipe it's paws after getting mud and snow on them when he comes back in and jumps on the new couch.

Friggin dogs.......

Any more?

Yeah, I might have no other choice but to do this. Or as 3C's said, just keep the screen door open. Now all I'll have to figure out is how to train the dog to wipe it's paws after getting mud and snow on them when he comes back in and jumps on the new couch.

Friggin dogs.......
Just teach the dog to use a litter box. Our dog is litter box trained. Admittedly she's a 4.5 lb Chihuahua, so she can use a cat litter box. Bigger dog might need more space...

Any more?

Friggin dogs.......
Just teach the dog to use a litter box. Our dog is litter box trained. Admittedly she's a 4.5 lb Chihuahua, so she can use a cat litter box. Bigger dog might need more space...
I'm not going to do that.

I'd leave it double flap and see if the dog figures it out. I had a single flap door facing west and just a little wind and negative air pressure in the winter when the furnace turned on and the flap opened up sucking in lots of cold air. The magnet wasn't strong enough. Double door would've definitely helped.

Users who are viewing this thread