What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don Coryell Belongs in the Hall of Fame (1 Viewer)

Harry Beanbag

Sausage King of Chicago
Not sure if this is Shark Pool material seeing how it is football related but not fantasy football related. If not, mods feel free to move.

An awesome argument as to why Don Coryell belongs in the Hall of Fame. Some of the better compelling arguments come from former players. The one from Brian Sipe, 1980 NFL MVP, struck me as the best endorsement for the man's induction.

"When I went to the Browns in 1972, Don Coryell's offense was ahead of anything I saw in the NFL. I think the only reason I had the career I had, is I was so quickly able to step in and know what I was looking at. The NFL was easy for me. I felt like I was taking a step backward in terms of preparation."

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/20...nahan070108.txt

For me, the best argument is that he took two historically bad NFL teams (Cardinals and Chargers) and turned them into consistent winners. As soon as he was gone, they became terrible again.

The Cardinals have only posted three seasons where they had double-digit wins - all of them came under Coryell. The Cardinals had as many winning seasons under Coryell in just five years as they have had in the 29 years since he left.

The Chargers hadn't experienced a winning season since Sid Gillman (another under appreciated HC) left. Coryell gave that team five consecutive winning seasons, then they leveled off. They hit the skids for a half dozen years after that until Bobby Ross arrived.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and how many titles did he win? Don Coryell = Marty Shottenheimer Good coach who couldn't take a team to the next level. Sorry, that's my :shrug:

If you're making the case that just because he came up with something different in terms of scheme, I want to see Buddy Ryan go in at the same time for the advent of the 46 defense.

...and how many titles did he win? Don Coryell = Marty Shottenheimer Good coach who couldn't take a team to the next level. Sorry, that's my :2cents:If you're making the case that just because he came up with something different in terms of scheme, I want to see Buddy Ryan go in at the same time for the advent of the 46 defense.
It's for the combination of being innovative AND a good coach. I'm not sure whether Coryell had a bigger impact on offense than Ryan had on defense, but it's pretty clear to me that Coryell was the better coach of the two.

...and how many titles did he win? Don Coryell = Marty Shottenheimer Good coach who couldn't take a team to the next level. Sorry, that's my :lmao:If you're making the case that just because he came up with something different in terms of scheme, I want to see Buddy Ryan go in at the same time for the advent of the 46 defense.
It's for the combination of being innovative AND a good coach. I'm not sure whether Coryell had a bigger impact on offense than Ryan had on defense, but it's pretty clear to me that Coryell was the better coach of the two.
:mellow: 100+ wins, new offense, took crap teams and won 5 division titles with them. I'm sold.

...and how many titles did he win? Don Coryell = Marty Shottenheimer Good coach who couldn't take a team to the next level. Sorry, that's my :thumbdown:If you're making the case that just because he came up with something different in terms of scheme, I want to see Buddy Ryan go in at the same time for the advent of the 46 defense.
It's an interesting response. One difference I'd point out is that Ryan did his work as a defensive coordinator, while Coryell made his mark while working as a head coach. Ryan was generally regarded as a failure as a head coach. I'm not sure how that impacts this, but that is one difference that occurs to me here.

Even if he had never won a game as a head coach, he belongs for his influence on the game. After the WCO, it's variations and decedents of Coryell's offense that most dominate the league today.

For me, the best argument is that he took two historically bad NFL teams (Cardinals and Chargers) and turned them into consistent winners. As soon as he was gone, they became terrible again.
they weren't consistent winners, 6 winning seasons out of 14..cmon'John Wooden often said coaches are teachers first. Coryell was a great teacher, but not a great NFL coach. Gibbs and Vermeil would be a credit to his teaching.

Since he devellopped his O under Gillman, Gillman ....eh well see this

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2008/..._pt_2-print.php

Even if he had never won a game as a head coach, he belongs for his influence on the game. After the WCO, it's variations and decedents of Coryell's offense that most dominate the league today.
:thumbup: Its not just about Superbowls. Who else has an offense named after him? It became famous in 1974 and is still used by current teams in 2008. 34 years. It's stood the test of time. At his acceptance speech to the hall of fame John Madden stated the that Don should be inducted.He changed the way the game was played.

:rolleyes: Its not just about Superbowls. Who else has an offense named after him? It became famous in 1974 and is still used by current teams in 2008. 34 years. It's stood the test of time. At his acceptance speech to the hall of fame John Madden stated the that Don should be inducted.He changed the way the game was played.
why would you credit him instead of Gillman?

Users who are viewing this thread