What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (2 Viewers)

I have the 1.04 and 1.05 dynasty picks... I feel like I either trade both to get 1.01 or I go w Beckham and Moncrief...

I really want moncrief and there's no way he gets back to me (I dont have a 2nd rnd pick) - may be a MAJOR reach all things considered... but when you want a guy, how else do you work it?
Trade down to the late 1st and you should still get him.
Can't. I know from a drunken night w leaguemates that there are other guys who want him as well.
then take Kelvin

I have the 1.04 and 1.05 dynasty picks... I feel like I either trade both to get 1.01 or I go w Beckham and Moncrief...

I really want moncrief and there's no way he gets back to me (I dont have a 2nd rnd pick) - may be a MAJOR reach all things considered... but when you want a guy, how else do you work it?
Can't. I know from a drunken night w leaguemates that there are other guys who want him as well.
:smokescreen:

:smokescreen:
if someone takes him top 5 thats doing u a favor

If you want him to fall, just show your leaguemates how bad his hands are: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/25/5543220/donte-moncrief-scouting-report-2014-nfl-draft-49ers

I thought Moncrief had too many drops in the game cuts that I've seen, but his hands aren't THAT bad. I was reassured by the fact that he looked pretty comfortable catching the ball at the combine. No drops and no visible signs of spazzing out when the ball gets close. He looked relaxed.

He seems like a guy who's missing a little bit of the mental talent/"it" factor compared to great natural receivers. Almost like he plays the game half asleep. It strikes me as something that might actually improve a bit with coaching and focus. Most scouting reports on Moncrief have pegged him as a guy whose best football is ahead of him, and that's something I agree with. He may be a better pro than collegiate, though I don't think he's going to be a great one.

Ultimately, hands are just one piece of the equation. There were lots of guys on my high school football team with great hands. Why didn't those guys play in college, let alone the NFL? Because they weren't athletic enough. Likewise, plenty of receivers with less than perfect hands and instincts have turned into decent pros despite those weaknesses. At some level, if you're athletic enough then you can get away with weaknesses elsewhere.

I thought Moncrief had too many drops in the game cuts that I've seen, but his hands aren't THAT bad. I was reassured by the fact that he looked pretty comfortable catching the ball at the combine. No drops and no visible signs of spazzing out when the ball gets close. He looked relaxed.

He seems like a guy who's missing a little bit of the mental talent/"it" factor compared to great natural receivers. Almost like he plays the game half asleep. It strikes me as something that might actually improve a bit with coaching and focus. Most scouting reports on Moncrief have pegged him as a guy whose best football is ahead of him, and that's something I agree with. He may be a better pro than collegiate, though I don't think he's going to be a great one.

Ultimately, hands are just one piece of the equation. There were lots of guys on my high school football team with great hands. Why didn't those guys play in college, let alone the NFL? Because they weren't athletic enough. Likewise, plenty of receivers with less than perfect hands and instincts have turned into decent pros despite those weaknesses. At some level, if you're athletic enough then you can get away with weaknesses elsewhere.
Re: bolded section:

I actually thought he looked terribly awkward in the guantlet at the combine. His hand placement looked unorthodox and he wasn't terribly smooth catching the ball.

Moncrief has 10 targets inside the 10-yard line in his career and has only converted 1 = 10%.

Re: bolded section:

I actually thought he looked terribly awkward in the guantlet at the combine. His hand placement looked unorthodox and he wasn't terribly smooth catching the ball.
He certainly doesn't make catching the ball look effortless.

I wasn't a huge fan of his in college for his hands and he's most definitely a project, however I think his size and measurables are among the best in this class. I was shocked to see him put up what he did. I've seen some people saying he's a guy a team may fall in love with his potential and spend an early (ish) pick on him. If that happens, I'd definitely be moving him up my own rankings.

He's got unrealized star potential IMO - will he ever realize it though??

Last edited by a moderator:
The team that drafts him will know what they're getting and put him in position to use his best attributes.

He's not going to come in ready to catch 70 balls, but he can be a dangerous deep threat from day one.

Moncrief has 10 targets inside the 10-yard line in his career and has only converted 1 = 10%.
Check that, mis-read the wrong player.

Moncrief is 2/14 inside the 10 = 14%

Small sample yes, but you'd expect somewhere around 30-33%.

By comparison, Allen Robinson is 6/17 = 35%.

In the 11-20 yard zone, Moncrief is 3/15 = 20%. That comes out to 5/29 = 17% overall in the RedZone.

Like I said elsewhere, that's sort of like saying Shaq is bad at free throws or that Ray Allen isn't a great dunker. When you emphasize a player's weaknesses, it can be easy to lose sight of his strengths. Moncrief is a player with very clear weaknesses, but also very clear strengths. Yea, he is not a great route runner or a loose athlete. He is prone to easy drops. On the other hand, his size/speed ratio is off the charts. Just a half step below guys like Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and Andre Johnson. To find a guy with his height/weight who can also run like he can is very rare. That makes him a valuable asset.

Look at where guys like TJ Graham and Marqise Goodwin went in the draft. And those guys were garbage in college. There is a huge demand for players who can stretch the field and some team will be pretty happy to spend a top 60 pick on Moncrief even though he's not a complete WR. I'd say Torrey Smith has been a solid pick for Baltimore and in many ways Moncrief is just a bigger version of Smith.

Like I said elsewhere, that's sort of like saying Shaq is bad at free throws or that Ray Allen isn't a great dunker. When you emphasize a player's weaknesses, it can be easy to lose sight of his strengths. Moncrief is a player with very clear weaknesses, but also very clear strengths. Yea, he is not a great route runner or a loose athlete. He is prone to easy drops. On the other hand, his size/speed ratio is off the charts. Just a half step below guys like Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and Andre Johnson. To find a guy with his height/weight who can also run like he can is very rare. That makes him a valuable asset.

Look at where guys like TJ Graham and Marqise Goodwin went in the draft. And those guys were garbage in college. There is a huge demand for players who can stretch the field and some team will be pretty happy to spend a top 60 pick on Moncrief even though he's not a complete WR. I'd say Torrey Smith has been a solid pick for Baltimore and in many ways Moncrief is just a bigger version of Smith.
Graham and Goodwin are are still garbage in the NFL. Not sure those guys help your case. Why did the Bills draft another deep threat only to underuse them both?

Torrey Smith has developed nicely, but for every Smith, there could be a Darius Heyward-Bey and Stephen Hill.

Moncrief has only one part of his profile in common with Johnson, Jones, and Johnson. The most important thing the other 3 have, Moncrief is lacking.

I'd say Moncrief is closer to Da'Rick Rogers and Darius Heyward-Bey from a physical/measurables stand point. He wasn't as good as Rogers was at Tennessee. Rogers was so much more physical including in the RedZone and made some tough catches. Moncrief is severely lacking in that department.

I actually like Moncrief, to an extent. But I won't be reaching for him. I think a lot of people will, due to his measurables.

He wasn't a phenomenal college player, but he produced much better stats than Goodwin, Graham, or Heyward-Bey. He's also thicker than DHB, being only about a half inch taller yet 11 pounds heavier. Rogers was a different type of receiver. More of a gritty possession guy. Their styles are almost polar opposites. They have a few combine metrics in common, but they don't play alike at all.

I don't think anyone believes Moncrief is on par with Andre, Calvin, or Julio as a prospect. Those guys were strong top 10 overall picks in their draft classes. I think if Moncrief had better suddenness and hands then he would be a first round lock, but that's just the thing. He doesn't and he isn't. He's projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick in the NFL draft and probably a 10-15 overall pick in most rookie drafts. I think that's a reasonable range for him.

He has flaws. Everyone knows that. That's why he's not going to be a super high pick. But if the question is whether or not he's overrated, I would say no. I think he'll probably be a 2nd round pick in the draft and he may be a little underrated based on the value he's likely to provide. Made this comparison many times before, but Mike Wallace and Torrey Smith are great success stories of guys with flawed skill sets and exceptional athletic traits. Moncrief is not a clone of either one of those guys, but the overall package is similar. B grade football player with some A physical traits that will work nicely on Sundays.

He wasn't a phenomenal college player, but he produced much better stats than Goodwin, Graham, or Heyward-Bey. He's also thicker than DHB, being only about a half inch taller yet 11 pounds heavier. Rogers was a different type of receiver. More of a gritty possession guy. Their styles are almost polar opposites. They have a few combine metrics in common, but they don't play alike at all.

I don't think anyone believes Moncrief is on par with Andre, Calvin, or Julio as a prospect. Those guys were strong top 10 overall picks in their draft classes. I think if Moncrief had better suddenness and hands then he would be a first round lock, but that's just the thing. He doesn't and he isn't. He's projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick in the NFL draft and probably a 10-15 overall pick in most rookie drafts. I think that's a reasonable range for him.

He has flaws. Everyone knows that. That's why he's not going to be a super high pick. But if the question is whether or not he's overrated, I would say no. I think he'll probably be a 2nd round pick in the draft and he may be a little underrated based on the value he's likely to provide. Made this comparison many times before, but Mike Wallace and Torrey Smith are great success stories of guys with flawed skill sets and exceptional athletic traits. Moncrief is not a clone of either one of those guys, but the overall package is similar. B grade football player with some A physical traits that will work nicely on Sundays.
How about Michael Floyd? Had he gone back for his senior year he might have had the break out year Floyd did.

Broncos schedule workouts with WR Donte Moncrief, QB Stephen MorrisMike Klis

Excerpt:

Even if the Broncos can’t draft every prospect they like, it can’t hurt to check out as many as possible while they’re unattached.

The Broncos have Ole Miss receiver Donte Moncrief and Miami quarterback Stephen Morris on their workout schedule.

Moncrief, who entered the draft after his junior season, is one of 10 to 12 receivers projected for the first or second round in the NFL draft that will be held May 8-10. He is large by receiver standards at 6-foot-2, 221 pounds, and his 4.40-second time in the 40 tied with Colorado’s Paul Richardson for the third fastest among receivers at the NFL scouting combine in February.

In his 13-game sophomore and junior seasons for the Rebels, Moncrief averaged 63 catches, 959 yards and 8 touchdowns.

The Broncos don’t have a great need at receiver, although Wes Welker and Demaryius Thomas are eligible for free agency after this season. Moncrief might be a possibility for the Broncos’ No. 31 pick in the first round. He is expected to be gone by the team’s No. 63 overall selection in the second round.

2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Donte Moncrief

Donte Moncrief Scouting Report

By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

• Dangerous run-after-the-catch receiver
  • Can make tough, contested receptions
  • Good hands
  • Uses size well
  • Body control
  • Good route-runner
  • Play-maker in college
  • Quickness
  • Can get separation
  • Weapon on third down
  • Good production
  • Safe bet to turn into a quality contributor
  • Adept at finding soft spots in zone
  • Tough
  • Physical
  • Red zone weapon
  • Blocking potential
  • Polished
  • Upside
Weaknesses:

• Quicker than fast
  • Can he separate from press man by big NFL corners?
  • Could be just a possession receiver
  • May not be fast enough to stretch a defense vertically
Summary: It can be hard for some players from Mississippi to stand out in the powerful SEC West. Playing in the toughest division of college football can overshadow some of their players, and one good prospect who probably hasn't received the attention they deserve is Donte Moncrief. Over the past three years, Moncrief has been a playmaker for the Rebels.

Moncrief had 31 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns as a freshman. Moncrief then broke out and was one of the better wide receivers in the SEC as a sophomore, when he notched 66 receptions for 979 yards and 10 touchdowns as the primary target for quarterback Bo Wallace. Moncrief had some huge games against Texas (7-144-1), LSU (6-161-2) and Mississippi State (7-173-3). He had a lot of success beating Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks (second-round pick for Tampa Bay) and LSU cornerback Tharold Simon (fifth-round pick for Seattle) in man coverage.

Moncrief was mildly disappointing this past season, however, because Ole Miss star freshman receiver Laquon Treadwell received a good amount of targets. Moncrief recorded 59 receptions for 938 yards with six touchdowns. He didn't do much against Alabama (6-60), but played well against Auburn (6-122) and LSU (5-107).

Moncrief would have had a better shot of being drafted higher if he had returned for his senior season. Instead, Moncrief joined a loaded class at wide receiver and has been somewhat lost in the shuffle. He had questions about his speed, but he had a shockingly fast 40 time at the Combine of 4.40 seconds. At Ole Miss, Moncrief wasn't a deep receiver, but he proved that he has enough speed to get open.

Moncrief projects to be a good Z (flanker) receiver. He is strong and tough to do the dirty work as a possession wideout. Moncrief should be a nice weapon on slants, crosses and digs with run-after-the-catch ability. He should be a good receiver on third down, and he can outfight defenders to move the chains while also being a red-zone target. Moncrief doesn't play as fast as that 40 time, and he won't be a speed demon to stretch a defense vertically.

Moncrief looks likely to be a second-day pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: Kenny Britt. Moncrief's game is similar to Britt. They are nearly identical in size, and Britt (6-3, 220) was a dangerous run-after-the-catch receiver when healthy. Britt has quickness to make plays and move the chains. If Moncrief pans out in the NFL, he could be a receiver like Britt.

NFL Matches: Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York Jets, New Orleans, Carolina, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle

Moncrief would be a good fit in Tampa Bay or Jacksonville. The Bucs need a lot of help at wide receiver, and Moncrief could be a nice fit for Jeff Tedford's offense. The Jaguars need more weapons for their new quarterback, given Justin Blackmon's status.

The Lions could address receiver in the first round, but if they don't get their guy and settle for some defensive help, Moncrief would make a lot of sense for them on day two. Moncrief could be a nice possession receiver on the other side from Calvin Johnson.

If the Browns pass on a receiver in Round 1, they could target Moncrief in the second or third. He would be a nice complement to Josh Gordon.

Pittsburgh needs help at receiver, and Moncrief has the size that the Steelers are looking for. Baltimore and the New York Jets would also be good fits for Moncrief. Both teams signed free agent wide receivers, but each one could use more help in its receiving corps.

Elsehwere, in the NFC South, Carolina has a massive need at wide receiver, and Moncrief could be a strong possession receiver for Cam Newton. The Panthers are locked into drafting at least one wide receiver early; if not two. New Orleans also could consider a wideout. The Saints lost some weapons this offseason in Darren Sproles and Lance Moore. The team has some older veterans at receiver, and Moncrief would give New Orleans a young understudy to Marques Colston.

The 49ers could use more young talent at wide receiver. Moncrief could eventually take over for Anquan Boldin. Denver doesn't have a real need at receiver, but Moncrief could be the best player available.

Seattle lost Golden Tate in free agency, and the Seahawks would probably prefer drafting a receiver with more size. Moncrief fits the type of player that the Seahawks target.

Rotoworld:

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay calls Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief "one of the most impressive workout freaks that you've ever seen at the wide receiver position."
"Moncrief did not play all that well this past year," McShay added. "But if you're a metrics guy, he's the first pick of the draft." Moncrief is a rocked-up 6-foot-2 and 221 pounds with 4.40 wheels. NFL Films' Greg Cosell mentioned Moncrief and Josh Gordon in the same breath back in March. Moncrief is projected as a day-two pick, but some team could fall in love with his potential.

Source: ESPN.com

Donte Moncrief a third-round pick in ESPN mock draft

Hugh Kellenberger, The Clarion-Ledger.

OXFORD -- With the NFL Draft a week away, ESPN did a three-round mock draft with its two most celebrated draft analysts.

Mel Kiper Jr. ended up selecting former Ole Miss wide receiver Donte Moncrief with the 72nd pick overall, to the Minnesota Vikings. Todd McShay also participated in the exercise.

Kiper wrote: "At this point, the Vikings have addressed a need at QB (Bortles) and in coverage (Joyner), and Moncrief is one of the best athletes in the entire draft, with legit 4.4 speed and great leaping ability in a 6-2, 220-pound frame."

Moncrief, one of the top wide receivers in school history, elected to enter the NFL Draft after the 2013 season, forgoing his senior season. He was initially considered a fourth-round pick, but performed well enough at the NFL Draft Combine to vault into the discussion at the end of the second round and into the third.

Kiper said last week that Moncrief had all of the physical abilities (going so far as to label him as one of 24 "freaks" in the Draft), but he wanted to see Moncrief producing more consistently on the field.

"He wasn't able to translate all talent to the field on a regular basis," Kiper said. "Quarterback play there as well was a little sketchy at times, but for Moncrief, there were games where he should have been dominating the corners he went up against and he didn't."

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock had a similar opinion of Moncrief.

"Moncrief is a guy who drops the ball too much and double-catches it a little too much," Mayock said. "When I see a wide receiver with drops and double-catches, I get nervous. He has to convince team that he can be a consistent catcher of the football. He's a little bit straight-line fast. He has to learn how to run routes.

"I have him late third round. The West Coast teams will like him because he can be a big, possession-type receiver who can run the slant and throw it into his body. Any of those type of teams that focus on West Coast offense would make a ton of sense for him. I'm hoping that his best football is ahead of him, and he can continue to develop the craft of playing wide receiver."

The NFL Draft begins on Thursday with the first round, followed by the second and third rounds of May 9. The rest of the draft is on May 10.

I don't see him making it out of the 2nd, whether he should or shouldn't.

It seems like NFL teams value vertical ability pretty highly. Look at where TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, and Titus Young went. Young was a good college player, but the other guys had bad numbers in college and were basically just one trick ponies. Now imagine a player who not only has the ability to get deep, but also a prototypical #1 WR build on paper. I think even with the depth in this group, he's a prime candidate to go higher than expected.

Same goes for Martavis Bryant, although he had a little less production in college and is a bit thinner. He may not be that good, but his skill set is one that teams seem to covet, so he's a prime candidate to be overdrafted.

Rotoworld:

Colts selected Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief with the No. 90 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Moncrief (6-foot-2, 221) will be a 21-year-old rookie after becoming a day-one starter at Ole Miss as an 18-year-old true freshman. He finished his three-year career with 156 catches for 2,371 yards (15.2 YPR) and 20 touchdowns. Moncrief proceeded to shred the Combine, running 4.4-flat with a 39 1/2-inch vertical and highly explosive 11-foot broad jump. While he has physical traits of a Type-A No. 1 wideout, Moncrief is still learning to play to his size and has a tendency to body catch. He offers big long-term upside in the vertical game, but may need a year or two to get his NFL bearings. He'll have to compete with LaVon Brazill and Griff Whalen for a spot behind the top four receivers in Indy but holds a clear talent edge. The Colts are loaded at wideout for 2014 but with Reggie Wayne aging and Hakeem Nicks on a one-year deal, Moncrief is a Dynasty target.

Could not have asked for a better landing spot. Draft slot was disappointingly low, but this is a great situation for him.

crickets.
Love to see him go to CAR so I can definitely ignore him on draft day.
So...thoughts on Moncrief to IND? I know you're a fan of Da'Rick...did this Moncrief pick show that IND doesn't believe in him?
I don't think it showed that at all. Wayne and Nicks both have question marks beyond 2014. I like Moncriefs long term upside and it's not a huge stretch to imagine a starting WR trio of Rodgers,Hilton, and Moncrief by 2016

Wednesday was the first extended look the media got of Donte Moncrief going up against veterans.

Last week, Moncrief was out in California for three days at the 20th annual NFLPA Rookie Premiere event.

Moncrief showed no ill effects of missing any OTA time as he made an impressive back shoulder reception, against blanketed coverage, on a fourth-down play near the goal line late in practice.

Veteran cornerback Greg Toler made sure to approach Moncrief on Wednesday and let the 20-year old know how difficult of a cover he was during OTA No. 6.

“He’s great showing his hands at the last minute,” Toler said of what he told Moncrief. “He’s great with his body position like these long passes he caught these last two days. He shows his hands to the DBs late because we are taught to play hands and eyes. He shields them off and just does a great job with his body.

“If he keeps working, I think he’ll be great.”
http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-OTA-Week-Two-Takeaways/210f1998-bf63-4dc9-bea9-ff4a70a247ac

Boom bust. If you want to roll the dice this is a definite candidate. Great up and coming QB, great up and coming offense/opportunity. A definite high ceiling, lottery ticket pick in dynasty drafts.

Donte Moncrief - WR - Colts
Colts third-round WR Donte Moncrief spent "considerable time" with the first-team offense Wednesday.
Moncrief reportedly had a "spectacular practice." It's an excellent sign that he's showing well early, but we'd expect the athletic freak to perform in non-contact work. He's still going to need some time to learn the NFL game, which he'll get while operating behind Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks and T.Y. Hilton this season. Dynasty owners should note that both Wayne and Nicks are on one-year deals.

Source: Indianapolis Star
Jun 19 - 9:37 AM

Colts third-round WR Donte Moncrief spent "considerable time" with the first-team offense Wednesday.
Moncrief reportedly had a "spectacular practice." It's an excellent sign that he's showing well early, but we'd expect the athletic freak to perform in non-contact work. He's still going to need some time to learn the NFL game, which he'll get while operating behind Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks and T.Y. Hilton this season. Dynasty owners should note that both Wayne and Nicks are on one-year deals.

I don't get this statement. The knock on Donte has been his hands, not his ability to deal with contact.

Slapdash said:
Skeletore Eh said:

I don't get this statement. The knock on Donte has been his hands, not his ability to deal with contact.
Yes it is. He doesn't 'play big'. Hands are weak on contested balls.

Slapdash said:
Skeletore Eh said:

I don't know what the general knock on him is but not dealing with contact is certainly one for me. A lot of the concern with Moncrief is that he looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. He doesn't translate his raw athletic ability to on field performance and functionality. Many times, guys with that problem struggle with obstacles and physicality.

Rotoworld:

Per the Indy Star's Stephen Holder, rookie WR Donte Moncrief "look(ed) good) during OTAs and minicamp, and the Colts' coaching staff is "excited" about the third-round pick.
Holder cautions to "not get carried away" after pad-less practices, but OTA praise is always more positive than negative. A prototypical "X" receiver at 6-foot-2, 221, Moncrief is likely viewed as the heir apparent to short-term stopgap Hakeem Nicks. Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton are Indy's other top wideouts.

Source: Stephen Holder on Twitter

During the offseason program, Colts third-round WR Donte Moncrief focused on his breaks and "attacking" the football.
The 6'2/221 Moncrief ran a 4.40 forty and posted truly freakish measureables at the Combine. He lasted until the 90th pick largely because of raw route-running and a tendency to body-catch the ball. We're not expecting 20-year-old Moncrief to have a significant impact this season, but he's an ideal Dynasty stash thanks to natural athletic ability and the presence of transcendent quarterback Andrew Luck. Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks are on one-year contracts.

Jun 30 - 9:31 AM

crickets.
Love to see him go to CAR so I can definitely ignore him on draft day.
So...thoughts on Moncrief to IND? I know you're a fan of Da'Rick...did this Moncrief pick show that IND doesn't believe in him?
Looks like I may hedge my Rogers bet with a drafting of Moncrief. Having the future Indy WRs is good for a dynasty team.
Definitely more interested in dynasty than redraft, obviously but at just 20 years old, and with Andrew Luck, it is really hard to not like this as a dynasty investment.

For better or for worse, that was my reasoning as well. Wayne is almost done, Hilton has a ton of upside, not counting on Nicks to re-discover his youth. Moncrief is in a great spot to learn and grow into a starting role that coincides with the best 10 years of Lucks career. May not be the best talent where I drafted him (over Latimer), but I love his situation.

I recently drafted Luck, Nicks, and Moncrief in a dynasty startup and I'm excited by the prospects of all three of them.

Users who are viewing this thread