What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Double turn lanes on to single lane street? Why? (1 Viewer)

The guy who drives this road every day is telling us there is not enough room for two lanes so either that merge sign is placed way past where the merge takes place or it is being used to indicate something else.
Don't need me to tell anyone it isn't wide enough. It's obvious from google street view that it narrows well before that sign

It's not a standard design.  Obviously shoehorned in.  Look at google earth from 2002, used to be a single left.  They figured they could squeeze duals in there on the mainline but it was probably cost prohibitive to widen the sidestreet due to the brick pavers, cost of curb changes, etc.

edit - always about the $$$

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a standard design.  Obviously shoehorned in.  Look at google earth from 2002, used to be a single left.  They figured they could squeeze duals in there on the mainline but it was probably cost prohibitive to widen the sidestreet due to the brick pavers, cost of curb changes, etc.

edit - always about the $$$
Are you suggesting politicians would put citizens at risk to save money?

RokNRole said:
Go on google maps and look at the corner of W Northwest highway and Trchnology  Blvd east

I make the turn from the left lane a couple times a week to grab lunch at a deli and nearly get clipped every time by the jerks in the outside turn lane scooting ahead

i can't see them until they are zipping across the front of my truck
I just looked at it on google maps and that looks terrible.  They couldn't have built out an extra lane on the one lane road for 100 yards or so to give people a decent chance to merge?

It ain't going to fix itself. Get the Dallas 311 app and recommend they fix it so you can enjoy your lunch. They respond pretty quick.

I'm an engineer.  I would not allow for such a design but I believe their rationale is for traffic engineering to clear the intersection regardless of the consequences afterward.

#### that intersection.  You have people coming the opposite direction turning right not slowing down either because it's one of those curved turns instead of a 90 degree?  I don't see how that's considered safe/acceptable.

I'm an engineer.  I would not allow for such a design but I believe their rationale is for traffic engineering to clear the intersection regardless of the consequences afterward.
So it's ok if people crash as long as it's not in the intersection?

Low speed?

Have you driven in Dallas?
Traffic engineering tries to mitigate risk. Cars turning will be traveling slower than cars going straight. Therefore there is less chance of serious injury if a crash occurs from cars merging while turning onto a side street than if a crash occurs from cars changing lanes on the main road to avoid the back up waiting to turn.

to me it looks like right hand turn folks should have a yield sign. the two lanes turning left just have to merge

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread