What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Martin as #1 pick in PPR (1 Viewer)

"Cheating" in the NFL is a joke considering most players who need it, especially for injuries, are going to take it. Besides, the NFL won't even ban HGH so right there is something that would have allowed AP to do what he did without cheating.

The interesting thing to me about possible cheating allegations is that no one really came out and cast suspicion on AP, because the general consensus was that he was "superhuman", a physical freak etc. The same sentiment is prevalent in discussions about RG3. Now it seems like everyone is way "ahead of schedule" with seripous injuries, whether it's Scott Chandler or Kobe Bryant in the NBA recovering from an achilles injury that should be devastaing for an athlete of his age (but again, he's a great athlete, the ultimate competitor etc so we don't ask any questions). Has medical science with these injuries improved that much in 2 years to the point where these are no longer really significant injuries? Does being a physical freak really factor into anything if even average (by pro standards) athletes are month ahead of schedule? Are we just turning a blind eye to HGH use in recovery? There's something weird going on here.

The interesting thing to me about possible cheating allegations is that no one really came out and cast suspicion on AP, because the general consensus was that he was "superhuman", a physical freak etc. The same sentiment is prevalent in discussions about RG3. Now it seems like everyone is way "ahead of schedule" with seripous injuries, whether it's Scott Chandler or Kobe Bryant in the NBA recovering from an achilles injury that should be devastaing for an athlete of his age (but again, he's a great athlete, the ultimate competitor etc so we don't ask any questions). Has medical science with these injuries improved that much in 2 years to the point where these are no longer really significant injuries? Does being a physical freak really factor into anything if even average (by pro standards) athletes are month ahead of schedule? Are we just turning a blind eye to HGH use in recovery? There's something weird going on here.
There's nothing weird. A lot of times when something traumatic happens to an athlete, they come back stronger than they were. I mean heck, look at Lance Armstrong. He came back from cancer and won all kinds of Tour de Frances. It is very possible with lots of dedication and hard work.

Decent Bill Simmons article on the topic of PEDs in sports:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

That's part of what got me thinking about Peterson's season.

Here are some other recent monster seasons by a RB. The 4th stat for each player is the differential between his "career year" YPC and his YPC in all prior seasons. So if a player had a career YPC average of 4.0 before his "career year" season and averaged 5.0 in that year, he would be a +1.0.

Jamal Lewis 2003 - 387 carries, 2066 yards, 5.3 YPC (+0.9)

LaDainian Tomlinson 2006 - 348 carries, 1815 yards, 5.2 YPC (+0.9)

Chris Johnson 2009 - 358 carries, 2006 yards, 5.6 YPC, (+.0.7)

Adrian Peterson 2012 - 348 carries, 2097 yards, 6.0 YPC, (+1.2)

Even by typical "career year" standards, Peterson's 2012 was abnormally good. He beat his career average YPC by 1.2, which is greater than any of these other players. He played out of his mind. That could be random variance and/or natural maturity, or it could be one or two of those things in conjunction with PED use. What Bonds did in baseball shows what can happen when you take a player who is already at the very top of the game and you pump him full of the best drugs on the market. Total statistical insanity.

In terms of Peterson's FF outlook, it's worth pointing out that every one of Lewis, Tomlinson, and Johnson experienced a significant drop in YPC the following season. -1.3 for Johnson, -1.0 for Lewis, and -0.5 for Tomlinson. The same thing happened to Arian Foster after his best season and Larry Johnson after both of his 1700+ yard seasons.

If Peterson is using PEDs that those guys didn't have access to/weren't taking then he might be less prone to regression. One of the main stated benefits of PEDs is that they help you recover faster, so it's possible that the typical wear and tear might take less of a toll on players who are using. I don't really know if he's clean or not. I'd guess that he probably isn't, and that might help prolong his career and boost his stats ala Bonds. I'd still bet on his YPC sagging by 0.8-1.6 next season. That would put him on par with the Peterson of 2008-2011, who was still a very good FF RB, but not the slam dunk RB1 that he's being touted as right now.

You always see people go bonkers overdrafting players after they have this type of "career year" season (like 2004 Peyton, 2006 LT, 2007 Moss, and 2009 CJ3). The result is usually mild-to-medium disappointment. Career years are rare by definition and even a great player like Peterson will struggle to sustain the kind of level that he showed in 2012. As I always like to say, "You don't get credit for last year's stats this year." Something to remember when you're on the clock this season.

It is just not useful or necessary to accuse a player such as Peterson of doing something while not making the same statements about other players.

I have known u for a long time EBF. This is just pure hate and I wish you would stop. Otherwise litter every post you make with the "possibility" of that player juicing so at least you are being consistent. Saying it only about Peterson to be quite honest pisses me off.

kutta said:
RushHour said:
There's nothing weird. A lot of times when something traumatic happens to an athlete, they come back stronger than they were. I mean heck, look at Lance Armstrong. He came back from cancer and won all kinds of Tour de Frances. It is very possible with lots of dedication and hard work.
Beating a life threatening disease and coming back stronger is a lot different then beating a knee injury or any non life threatening injury and coming back stronger.

Rotoworld:

Doug Martin ranked second in the NFL in rushing yards after contact in 2012, behind only Adrian Peterson.
The gap between Peterson and Martin was large -- AP had 1,109 yards after contact to Muscle Hamster's 683 -- but Martin outperformed more well-known backs like Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson, Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice, and Chris Johnson in this area. It's more confirmation that Martin is the real deal. He's locked in as Rotoworld's No. 2 fantasy back for 2013.

Source: ESPN.com

RushHour said:
It's impossible to say with any clarity at all if he cheated.

And yes, medical science has come a VERY long way in just a few shorts years regarding recovery from ACL, Achilles, and other injuries.

Not only is the actual surgery much better, but the rehab to get guys back to exactly what they need for their sport has pretty much been perfected to get these guys to where they need to be faster.

And we can not compare ANY of this to the average person. The average person does not rehab 5% as hard as these guys.

And for all we know, this lit some kind of ridiculous fire in AP's belly where he was running like his life depended on it. He likely worked harder in the offseason than he had in any offseason or at any point in his life. And then once the season started, and he gained a bit more confidence and health, he was running like he was trying to prove something to someone, not sure what or to who, maybe everyone, who knows.

Everyone is "way ahead of schedule" because when they set that schedule they play it safe..............that and like I said, the medical part of it is much more advanced now.

Even Jamaal Charles came back looking fantastic. Granted he did get hurt like 3 months earlier than AP, but that was still a very fast recovery to get back to what appeared darn near 100% week 1.

It is just not useful or necessary to accuse a player such as Peterson of doing something while not making the same statements about other players.

I have known u for a long time EBF. This is just pure hate and I wish you would stop. Otherwise litter every post you make with the "possibility" of that player juicing so at least you are being consistent. Saying it only about Peterson to be quite honest pisses me off.
How many players have come back from a catastrophic injury in less than a full season and elevated their game to a level that far exceeds their career averages? Peterson averaged 4.8, 4.4, 4.6, and 4.6 YPC in the four seasons prior to his injury. He tore his ACL and MCL, came back in less than 10 months, and shattered his career YPC average and yardage records. 2097 rushing yards at 6.0 YPC is crazy stuff. No one in the league compares when you look at the combination of workload and efficiency.

The story is almost too good to be true. Like Usain Bolt running 9.58 in the 100m, Barry Bonds hitting 70 home runs in a season, Secretariat winning the Belmont by 31 lengths, or Lance Armstrong dominating the Tour De France for the better part of a decade. These are incredible athletic feats. Recent history suggests that we should be skeptical whenever we see an athlete doing something that seems too good to be true. That's not cynicism, "hate," or negativity. That's reality. Sometimes an incredible feat is legitimate, but there have always been cheaters in sports and there always will be. How many "amazing performances" have turned out to be a total sham in hindsight?

Look at track and field. Ben Johnson. Tim Montgomery. Justin Gatlin. Tyson Gay. Asafa Powell. Those are some of the best 100m runners of the past 25 years and every one of them is a cheat. Does that mean Maurice Greene and Usain Bolt must have cheated too? No, but would it really be surprising to learn that they had? If people are willing to dedicate their entire lives to becoming the best at what they do, what makes you think they won't use PEDs if it means the difference between being the best in the world at their event or being the 7th place finisher at the Olympics? When you're at that level and even a modest improvement could mean the difference between legendary status and total anonymity, it would be hard to stay clean.

We've seen this happen countless times in the history of sports, but that doesn't stop us from falling for it again and again. Sports fans love a good narrative. We want to see McGwire and Sosa chase the record. We want to see Lance conquer adversity to become the greatest cyclist in history. We want to see Ben Johnson run faster than any man in history. We want to believe that Adrian Peterson overcame a terrible injury and returned 20% better than before because he's a "freak" and a "beast," and not because he's doped up with the most advanced steroid and hormone treatments in existence. People love a good story. We fall in love with Marion Jones, Lance Armstrong, and Mark McGwire. When history reveals them for cheats, we publicly tar and feather them, sweep them under the rug, and move on to the next hero.

Does any of this mean Peterson cheated? No, I'm just saying it's possible. There's a middle ground between being too naive and too paranoid. There's not a hidden conspiracy beneath every event. At the same time, if you always take everything at face value, you're going to get burned repeatedly. Heck, I follow the 100m runners a little bit and I always thought Tyson Gay was one of the "good guys" in the sport. He just got busted for PEDs a few days ago. People cheat in sports. That's reality. Here's an interesting Reddit post related to doping in sprinting. It made me think of the NFL when I was reading it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/1ia00m/tyson_gay_reportedly_caught_doping_pulls_out_of/cb2jh0q

Last edited by a moderator:
Steroids are all over the league. This is not exclusive to Peterson, if he in fact actually took them which I'm not commenting on either way. Truth be told, I assume basically all players in the league use them anyway. The fact that there is no testing for HGH puts a huge cloud of doubt over every player IMO. Bringing up possible use by Peterson is just stupid. We really have no proof he did and even if he did, 90% of the other guys are likely doing it to anyway. So there was no real advantage.

Peterson is a clear #1 over Martin because

1) Peterson's consistency to score 12+ TDs, as well has a much higher ceiling for TDs......Peterson is capable of 20 TDs. Martin scored 6 TDs in 2 games, and 6 TDs in the other 14 games last year. Martin is a bigger risk from a TD perspective. A good year will be about 10-12 TDs.

2) Peterson's consistent track record yardage wise. Sure last year was a career year and an anomaly. But I would be shocked to see Peterson rush for under 1450 yards this year. Add in about 250-275 receiving yards, and IMO 1700-1725 total yards is Peterson's floor.

3) Martin gained 26% of his total yards last year in 2 games. In the other 14 games, he averaged 100 yards a game, but had to touch the ball over 300 times to get there. So I think 1700-1750 yards should be Martin's expectation.

In PPR, Peterson is the clear #1 in my eyes, but I wouldn't think someone is crazy for taking Martin there. I currently have him ranked #4 in PPR behind Peterson, Foster, and Charles.

As far as Peterson goes, I definitely have trouble buying his "miraculous" comeback. It reminds me a lot of when Barry Bonds started juicing and his stats exploded. He had always been a great HoF caliber player, but with certain "enhancements" he became the best hitter the game had ever seen. Peterson's 2012 season has a similar feel to the steroids Bonds era.
You've made this claim several times now in various threads. I know this board is littered with opinions. speculation etc. but accusing a player of cheating with no proof, trail (or even rumors) is probably not that great a thing to be posting.

Earlier this summer, Buccaneers guard Carl Nicks said that the toe injury that cost him the second half of last season was one that he would have to deal with his whole life.

The implication was that Nicks and the Bucs would have to manage his workload as a result of the injury in order to keep Nicks on the field, but they’ll need to get him back on the field first. Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano announced at his press conference Monday that Nicks is out indefinitely as a result of an blister on his toes that got infected. Nicks is currently being treated by doctors, but the only sense that Schiano offered in terms of a timeframe was that playing in Week One is a realistic possibility.

While it’s not the same injury that kept Nicks out last season, it’s hardly a positive development for a player who already has enough on his plate when it comes to foot injuries.

One of the biggest reasons to expect a better offensive performance for the Bucs this season was that they would have Nicks and Davin Joseph back as their starting guards after both missed major amounts of time last season. Joseph has started ramping up his workload after the torn patellar tendon that sidelined him all last season, but Nicks’ toe issue is one that’s making it hard to count on him for 16 games this season.

Taking another RB over Peterson is a low percentage move. I've talked to a couple guys who "just don't like Peterson" and are picking someone else at 1.01. I don't have a problem with any RB going first, from Martin to Richardson, but don't expect anything but minority support for your decision.

Every single RB in the first round has some question marks at this point. To highlight Peterson's and ignore others is a mistake.

For me, it's all about the floor with that pick. Yes, you want to get the best player if possible, but your main goal should be to take the guy who will put up those high-end numbers with the least risk. I'd still go AP, but I have no qualms with Martin there.

As far as Peterson goes, I definitely have trouble buying his "miraculous" comeback. It reminds me a lot of when Barry Bonds started juicing and his stats exploded. He had always been a great HoF caliber player, but with certain "enhancements" he became the best hitter the game had ever seen. Peterson's 2012 season has a similar feel to the steroids Bonds era.
You've made this claim several times now in various threads. I know this board is littered with opinions. speculation etc. but accusing a player of cheating with no proof, trail (or even rumors) is probably not that great a thing to be posting.
I think he's juicing as well and it's kind of silly to say he needs proof before offering that opinion. How does one get proof when NFL players are not even tested? As for rumors, plenty going around to the point AP was specifically asked and of course denied.

As far as I'm concerned until the NFLPA submits to HGH and other performance enhancing drug tests speculation on who is juicing is fair game.

Decent Bill Simmons article on the topic of PEDs in sports:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

That's part of what got me thinking about Peterson's season.

Here are some other recent monster seasons by a RB. The 4th stat for each player is the differential between his "career year" YPC and his YPC in all prior seasons. So if a player had a career YPC average of 4.0 before his "career year" season and averaged 5.0 in that year, he would be a +1.0.

Jamal Lewis 2003 - 387 carries, 2066 yards, 5.3 YPC (+0.9)

LaDainian Tomlinson 2006 - 348 carries, 1815 yards, 5.2 YPC (+0.9)

Chris Johnson 2009 - 358 carries, 2006 yards, 5.6 YPC, (+.0.7)

Adrian Peterson 2012 - 348 carries, 2097 yards, 6.0 YPC, (+1.2)

Even by typical "career year" standards, Peterson's 2012 was abnormally good. He beat his career average YPC by 1.2, which is greater than any of these other players. He played out of his mind. That could be random variance and/or natural maturity, or it could be one or two of those things in conjunction with PED use. What Bonds did in baseball shows what can happen when you take a player who is already at the very top of the game and you pump him full of the best drugs on the market. Total statistical insanity.

In terms of Peterson's FF outlook, it's worth pointing out that every one of Lewis, Tomlinson, and Johnson experienced a significant drop in YPC the following season. -1.3 for Johnson, -1.0 for Lewis, and -0.5 for Tomlinson. The same thing happened to Arian Foster after his best season and Larry Johnson after both of his 1700+ yard seasons.

If Peterson is using PEDs that those guys didn't have access to/weren't taking then he might be less prone to regression. One of the main stated benefits of PEDs is that they help you recover faster, so it's possible that the typical wear and tear might take less of a toll on players who are using. I don't really know if he's clean or not. I'd guess that he probably isn't, and that might help prolong his career and boost his stats ala Bonds. I'd still bet on his YPC sagging by 0.8-1.6 next season. That would put him on par with the Peterson of 2008-2011, who was still a very good FF RB, but not the slam dunk RB1 that he's being touted as right now.

You always see people go bonkers overdrafting players after they have this type of "career year" season (like 2004 Peyton, 2006 LT, 2007 Moss, and 2009 CJ3). The result is usually mild-to-medium disappointment. Career years are rare by definition and even a great player like Peterson will struggle to sustain the kind of level that he showed in 2012. As I always like to say, "You don't get credit for last year's stats this year." Something to remember when you're on the clock this season.
First of all, a career year is a career year and should be higher than normal and he should regress back as well. There was a CJ1K article on grantland talking about how the reason CJ had over 2000 yards was because of long TD runs, he had 7 over 30 yards, including I think 3 over 85. It also mentioned that ADP had 4 30+ yard TD runs (61, 64, 82 and 82). Just by looking at his game log he also had long runs of 51 and 74. Now, I don't like removing carries, but something tells me that 6-414 for 69ypc had a lot more impact on his yards per carry, same as CJs 3 carries for 250+ yards. ADP averaged 4.9 ypc on the other 342 carries, which isn't much above his average.

Maybe he is using PEDs, but I am not going to assume until we hear something like we have in baseball. That said, it is pretty easy IMHO to understand why Peterson's ypc went way up. Similar to CJ and probably most of the huge RB years, breaking off a handful of long runs is the difference between a great year and a 2000 yard season. Look at Eric Dickerson's career. Was he using PEDs? His ypc was 1ypc more than his second best year. Seems to me that 2000 yard seasons are always outliers and while I would take ADP #1 overall, I sure wouldn't expect another one.

I think he's juicing as well and it's kind of silly to say he needs proof before offering that opinion. How does one get proof when NFL players are not even tested? As for rumors, plenty going around to the point AP was specifically asked and of course denied.

As far as I'm concerned until the NFLPA submits to HGH and other performance enhancing drug tests speculation on who is juicing is fair game.
Honestly, it is a pretty dumb accusation. Sure, it is possible to be right, but the only reason rumors are going around is because of baseball and the fact that we are a twitter society. If EBF decided to actually look at the 2000 yard seasons and the rest of those RB careers, he would see that historically, they are all around 1ypc different than the next best seasons. As I posted above, it tends to be a handful of plays where you break long TD runs that takes really good seasons and elevates them to all time seasons. I pointed out Dickerson and Jim Brown's best season (would have been 2000+ in today's 16 game season) was 2.1 ypc better than his prior season and 1.2 ypc better than his next season. Was Jim Brown juicing? Would you be shocked to know his longest run of his career was in that season? I would bet that every one of these career best seasons is the career best ypc by a good amount (even a half yard above the 2nd best is a big change). Whether it is PED driven, no one knows, but it sure seems like even as far back as 50 years ago, RBs were having all time best seasons in most part due to breaking off more long runs than normal, so saying he is juicing based on a career year is sort of baseless.

Honestly, it is a pretty dumb accusation. Sure, it is possible to be right, but the only reason rumors are going around is because of baseball and the fact that we are a twitter society. If EBF decided to actually look at the 2000 yard seasons and the rest of those RB careers, he would see that historically, they are all around 1ypc different than the next best seasons. As I posted above, it tends to be a handful of plays where you break long TD runs that takes really good seasons and elevates them to all time seasons. I pointed out Dickerson and Jim Brown's best season (would have been 2000+ in today's 16 game season) was 2.1 ypc better than his prior season and 1.2 ypc better than his next season. Was Jim Brown juicing? Would you be shocked to know his longest run of his career was in that season? I would bet that every one of these career best seasons is the career best ypc by a good amount (even a half yard above the 2nd best is a big change). Whether it is PED driven, no one knows, but it sure seems like even as far back as 50 years ago, RBs were having all time best seasons in most part due to breaking off more long runs than normal, so saying he is juicing based on a career year is sort of baseless.
Was Eric Dickerson and Jim Brown 9 months removed from ACL surgery?

Only thing dumb is your post.

Was Eric Dickerson and Jim Brown 9 months removed from ACL surgery?

Only thing dumb is your post.
LOL, keep trying. If Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson had ACL surgery, their careers would have most likely been over. RG3 is coming back from ACL surgery in the same timeframe. I don't think Welker missed a single game. Charles was back the next season. Demaryius Thomas came back well from an achilles injury that not that long ago was considered a career ender. Michael Crabtree has been discussed about possibly coming back this year from an achilles injury. Do you think Willis McGahee has a career if he was injured 10 years prior? Marcus Latimore anyone? Medical science is way beyond where it was. All those injuries above to Jim Brown or Dickerson and they never play another down.

Geez, how can someone responding to a thread on the Internet on a web browser that wasn't even around when Dickerson and Brown played would try and compare an ACL injury back then to ADP last year? Don't be surprised if in another 10 years with stem cell/whatever research if players can come back from an ACL injury the next week. Do you think they will be juicing then too?

I will admit he could be juicing. He could be gay, doesn't mean that it is true because it was posted on the Internet. EBF is trying to say his career year had to be juicing and I disagree. His career year is due to 6 long runs, period. Did he juice to get back from the injury? Maybe he did, but there sure seems to be a lot more examples every year with these miraculous recoveries with hard work and training due to big advances in medical science and due to a billion dollar business that puts a lot more resources into getting its best players healthy ASAP.

EBF is trying to say his career year had to be juicing and I disagree. His career year is due to 6 long runs, period. Did he juice to get back from the injury? Maybe he did, but there sure seems to be a lot more examples every year with these miraculous recoveries with hard work and training due to big advances in medical science and due to a billion dollar business that puts a lot more resources into getting its best players healthy ASAP.
I don't think it's a certainty. Only a possibility.

When a player tears his ACL and MCL in late December and comes back in 9 months playing way better than he ever has before, I think some suspicions are warranted. Players cheat in other sports like cycling and track. Why wouldn't they also cheat in football? McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, and countless others cheated in baseball. Why is football above that? The stakes are just as high. There are millions of dollars at stake. A little chemical enhancement could be the difference between superstardom and anonymity. With that being the case, I'm sure there are many players around the league skirting the rules. Especially when you consider that the NFL's HGH testing policy is basically nonexistent. They're leaving the door wide open for exploitation.

I don't know if Peterson cheated, but it's well within the realm of possibility.

EBF is trying to say his career year had to be juicing and I disagree. His career year is due to 6 long runs, period. Did he juice to get back from the injury? Maybe he did, but there sure seems to be a lot more examples every year with these miraculous recoveries with hard work and training due to big advances in medical science and due to a billion dollar business that puts a lot more resources into getting its best players healthy ASAP.
I don't think it's a certainty. Only a possibility.

When a player tears his ACL and MCL in late December and comes back in 9 months playing way better than he ever has before, I think some suspicions are warranted. Players cheat in other sports like cycling and track. Why wouldn't they also cheat in football? McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, and countless others cheated in baseball. Why is football above that? The stakes are just as high. There are millions of dollars at stake. A little chemical enhancement could be the difference between superstardom and anonymity. With that being the case, I'm sure there are many players around the league skirting the rules. Especially when you consider that the NFL's HGH testing policy is basically nonexistent. They're leaving the door wide open for exploitation.

I don't know if Peterson cheated, but it's well within the realm of possibility.
Within the realm of possibility is <> your quote of:

As far as Peterson goes, I definitely have trouble buying his "miraculous" comeback. It reminds me a lot of when Barry Bonds started juicing and his stats exploded.
If Peterson went from looking like a tiny guy to looking like a monster then it would remind me of Bonds. I collected tons of baseball cards and the striking difference between Bonds coming into the league and HR hitting Bonds was ridiculous. Everyone knew he was juicing. ADP came into the league as a freak of nature with size and speed (217lbs running a 4.4 with a 38.5 inch vertical). He had the size speed/leaping ability that had you drooling. ADP was the guy you would expect to have the 2000 yard season. I can understand that the recovery seems miraculous, but within the past couple years, it really doesn't seem all that miraculous anymore. Just look at Charles, Welker and RG3 as examples.

I think it's clear that ACL injuries aren't what they used to be in terms of threatening careers and keeping players on the shelf.

It could be that Peterson is totally innocent.

I think when you add up all of the variables...

- The severity of the injury.

- The short recovery.

- The massive improvement upon returning.

...it starts to look suspicious. Maybe he's just a freak and it's that simple. Maybe he had a little help along the way.

I lean towards the latter because the story sounds too good to be true otherwise. That doesn't mean I 100% think he's guilty.

I think Martin is going to have a good year, but we have to remember that he is without his top two offensive linemen right now. Just like last year. I was really looking forward to seeing him run behind the healthy line this year, but I don't know if we will see it.

I think Martin is going to have a good year, but we have to remember that he is without his top two offensive linemen right now. Just like last year. I was really looking forward to seeing him run behind the healthy line this year, but I don't know if we will see it.
I am definitely disappointed to see that Carl Nicks is out indefinitely. :(

I already own Martin 3x, taking him 2nd overall in my main league...I definitely wanted to see him behind the upgraded offensive line. Damn.

I'd still take him 2nd overall though.

Condolences to Martin owners, if his season is indeed over. Sucks royally.

Here's why fantasy football is so frustrating, and this is not to play Monday Morning QB... just stating facts. You could have made a fair case in August for Peterson, Martin or Charles to go 1.01. Even before Martin got hurt Sunday, these RBs had more points than him on the season in a PPR:

Charles
Forte
Lynch
McCoy
Moreno
Bush
F. Jackson
Peterson
Foster
Gore
Woodhead
Murray
Bernard
Bell
Sproles
C. Johnson
J. Rodgers
Morris
Mathews
Rice
P. Thomas

Like... WTF! So what have we learned here? RBs are now a dime a dozen? Wait on them like never before? Don't trust a guy with only one season under his belt? Don't trust anyone who plays for Greg Schiano? I dunno. It's a never-ending puzzle, this hobby of ours.

Here's why fantasy football is so frustrating, and this is not to play Monday Morning QB... just stating facts. You could have made a fair case in August for Peterson, Martin or Charles to go 1.01. Even before Martin got hurt Sunday, these RBs had more points than him on the season in a PPR:

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

Like... WTF! So what have we learned here? RBs are now a dime a dozen? Wait on them like never before? Don't trust a guy with only one season under his belt? Don't trust anyone who plays for Greg Schiano? I dunno. It's a never-ending puzzle, this hobby of ours.
I actually think you CAN learn something from this.

One thing I have been relatively big on is avoiding sophomore QBs. This season I broke that by going with Luck and it's worked out great (7-0)

I think the same can be said for *most* RBs

Foster... Great rookie year but what has he done since

Martin

Ridley

Richardson

Chris Johnson (not much after his second season)

Maybe I'm wrong but I know I'll probably avoid sophomore RBs from now on (can mark Lacy off my board next year), but at the very least we can learn what we already knew: RB has a very short life span. I think I read somewhere that the average RB has a 3 year life span in the nfl. Of course there are those that beat the odds: Emmit smith, Marshall Faulk, LT, AP, I'm sure I've missed others. But MOST RBs have a year or two and that's it.

Maybe that's the lesson to take from this. RBs are one of the biggest turn over positions in the NFL

Maybe that's the lesson to take from this. RBs are one of the biggest turn over positions in the NFL
Pretty much.

I couldn't believe the "value" I got on Chris Johnson this summer. Thought I stole him in (I think it was) the 4th round of a 12-teamer. But you watch him now, and it's comical. Outside of a couple of dump passes that he took for TD in the past few weeks, he looks nothing like the guy who made his owners giddy for a few years. It's like someone else put his uniform on.

When they hit the wall, it goes downhill fast.

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

One thing I have been relatively big on is avoiding sophomore QBs. This season I broke that by going with Luck and it's worked out great (7-0)

Martin

Ridley

Richardson

Maybe I'm wrong but I know I'll probably avoid sophomore RBs from now on (can mark Lacy off my board next year), but at the very least we can learn what we already knew: RB has a very short life span. I think I read somewhere that the average RB has a 3 year life span in the nfl. Of course there are those that beat the odds: Emmit smith, Marshall Faulk, LT, AP, I'm sure I've missed others. But MOST RBs have a year or two and that's it.

Uh...what?

1,460+ yards from scrimmage 5 years in a row isn't doing much? What have you been smoking?

Pretty much.

I couldn't believe the "value" I got on Chris Johnson this summer. Thought I stole him in (I think it was) the 4th round of a 12-teamer. But you watch him now, and it's comical. Outside of a couple of dump passes that he took for TD in the past few weeks, he looks nothing like the guy who made his owners giddy for a few years. It's like someone else put his uniform on.

My boy, Forte, is still rolling though. :thumbup:

Pretty much.

Indeed. You can thank Trestman for that. Forte finally has a coach who utilizes his skill set to perfection.

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

I actually think you CAN learn something from this.One thing I have been relatively big on is avoiding sophomore QBs. This season I broke that by going with Luck and it's worked out great (7-0)

Martin

Ridley

RichardsonChris Johnson (not much after his second season)

Uh...what?1,460+ yards from scrimmage 5 years in a row isn't doing much? What have you been smoking?
I'm talking FANTASY stats. Real life, yeah those stats look good, but look at the trend:

2008d (rookie year): 4 games over 100. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was sharing the load with Len-Whale that year.

2009: (his big year) : 12 games over 100 yards rushing, the others two were over 80.

2010: 8 games over 100 yards rushing. The other games failed to crack 70. Not real great for what many thought could be the #1 RB

2011: 4 games over 100 yards rushing. Again, the other games failed to crack 70

2012: 5 games over 100 yards rushing, cracked over 70 only 3 others

2013: 0 games over 100 yards rushing.

The guy is the Chad Johnson of RBs. Scores points barely enough for starting most weeks, but every so often he goes crazy with 120+ yards and a score or two so you have to start him. Boom or bust.

Sorry, but I would rather have someone more consistent as my RB 1. After his second full season with TN people were bonkers over him.

I'm not saying he's a bust, but he leaves a LOT to be desired most of the weeks he plays. The trend is not friendly: went from 12 to 8 to 4.5 games over 100. Yards. He has 9 games left. That means half of his remaining games need to be 100 plus to maintain his last two years. Think that's going to happen?

Pretty much.

Indeed. You can thank Trestman for that. Forte finally has a coach who utilizes his skill set to perfection.
Glad I saw that one... And Murray. Injury aside I've been cashing in on receptions this season

Yeah, they take a beating, but I think the really good ones can be relied on for 4-5 years of very good numbers.

Rice, MJD, Forte, Johnson, Lynch, McCoy, Peterson, Bush, Gore, and Jackson have been around for a while now and have been pretty useful for much of that time.

I think Martin is in the same ballpark as most of those guys from a talent perspective and since he's only 24 I expect at least 3-4 more good seasons.

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

I actually think you CAN learn something from this.One thing I have been relatively big on is avoiding sophomore QBs. This season I broke that by going with Luck and it's worked out great (7-0)

Martin

Ridley

Uh...what?1,460+ yards from scrimmage 5 years in a row isn't doing much? What have you been smoking?
I'm talking FANTASY stats. Real life, yeah those stats look good, but look at the trend:

2008d (rookie year): 4 games over 100. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was sharing the load with Len-Whale that year.

2009: (his big year) : 12 games over 100 yards rushing, the others two were over 80.

2010: 8 games over 100 yards rushing. The other games failed to crack 70. Not real great for what many thought could be the #1 RB

The guy is the Chad Johnson of RBs. Scores points barely enough for starting most weeks, but every so often he goes crazy with 120+ yards and a score or two so you have to start him. Boom or bust.

Sorry, but I would rather have someone more consistent as my RB 1. After his second full season with TN people were bonkers over him.

I'm not saying he's a bust, but he leaves a LOT to be desired most of the weeks he plays. The trend is not friendly: went from 12 to 8 to 4.5 games over 100. Yards. He has 9 games left. That means half of his remaining games need to be 100 plus to maintain his last two years. Think that's going to happen?
I'm talking fantasy stats too.

Rushing yards and receiving yards count for fantasy

1,460+ YFS in real life is 1,460 YFS in fantasy.

And there is a huge difference between not living up to a 2,000 yard rushing season, or not living up to #1 overall RB expectation, and "not doing much"

Yeah, they take a beating, but I think the really good ones can be relied on for 4-5 years of very good numbers.

Rice, MJD, Forte, Johnson, Lynch, McCoy, Peterson, Bush, Gore, and Jackson have been around for a while now and have been pretty useful for much of that time.

I think Martin is in the same ballpark as most of those guys from a talent perspective and since he's only 24 I expect at least 3-4 more good seasons.
MJD didn't have more than 2-3 years if I'm not mistaken... Again, I'm talking off the top of my head here. But I get your point.

I think lately in the last few years we've seen rookie RBs just perform amazing in their first season. Martin, Ridley, Richardson, rice did well, forte, Peterson, bush, Jackson all did really good their first year. I think we've come to expect it yearly.

Look at this year: people were falling over themselves to take montee ball (at least my UW friends, or maybe just here in WI). I told everyone he'd be relegated to third backup. No one believed me. I personally thought Hillman would have the job, but 1/2 isn't bad.

Others on your list: gore, lynch, Jackson, McCoy.... They sat for a year, right? Except for lynch. He didn't really explode until he got onto a decent team. He had a couple decent years with buffalo and then kind of fell out of favor and was traded and exploded again

Gore I thought sat for a year. Same with McCoy. Jackson sat behind Marshall Faulk... I think. Wow that was. A long time ago. I remember when he was drafted.

Maybe there is something to sitting...maybe the RBs who learn for a year are better long term. I don't know why that would be, but maybe it's a learning the speed of the game better and not relying on your speed solely. Bush said recently that as a rookie he just tried to do what he did in college, make big plays. Now he understands the game better and feels he has never run this good.

A lot of these kids come out as top dog and try so hard tobe the same in the nfl. No tape on them so teams have a hard time knowing how to game plan. Then, the next year they have tape and know the ways to stop them. RB doesn't make adjustments because he had success relying on his speed/agility/hands/etc so he has a rough second year.

I think Martin holds great value next year. I think he could be like forte this year.get him a coach that knows how to use him. Plus they will have a new QB likely so that will only help

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

Martin

Ridley

I'm talking fantasy stats too.Rushing yards and receiving yards count for fantasy

And there is a huge difference between not living up to a 2,000 yard rushing season, or not living up to #1 overall RB expectation, and "not doing much"
Johnson is RB14 in my standard non-PPR league. He has been a solid RB2 with only 2 stinkers vs the Jets and Seahawks which was expected.

You could do a lot worse.

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

Martin

Ridley

I'm talking fantasy stats too.Rushing yards and receiving yards count for fantasy

Talk to any Chris Johnson owner and they'll say they struggle with the question on of they should drop him... That's not a rb1.

Like I said, he's the chad Johnson of running backs. He will always have a sucker that bites.

If you want to split hairs over a few words I said, please be my guest. That's the epitome of why I stay away from these boards so much: you disagree with someone's opinion and they take it as a personal attack, or if you use the words "not doing much" instead of "not living up to rb1 expectations" and someone jumps down your throat.

I don't consider being drafted as a rb1 and performing to expectations only 4-5 games a year doing much. Your opinion may be different, that's great, but I'm not going to break down yor posts word for word and try to find one bad thing you may have mistyped. I've grown up past those days

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

Martin

Ridley

Johnson is RB14 in my standard non-PPR league. He has been a solid RB2 with only 2 stinkers vs the Jets and Seahawks which was expected.

You could do a lot worse.
18 in my PPR league, but we have some favorable return stat points, so there are a few no names on that list that many others probably haven't heard of.

Honestly, I wouldn't touch Chris Johnson ever in my drafts. He was in a class with Arian foster, McFadden, and Steven Jackson.

Sometimes you have no choice, and I understand that, but some people drafted this guy as a rb1 prior to this season, and I'd say he hasn't done much to live up to those standards.

Doesn't mean my point isn't true: he was elite for one season, but has been rb2 material since.

If you want to split hairs on my terminology or word choice, feel free, but it doesn't mean I wasn't wrong when I said he performed amazing one year and did not perform up to rb1 standards since. Hence, his life at the top of the food chain was very short lived.

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

Martin

Ridley

Talk to any Chris Johnson owner and they'll say they struggle with the question on of they should drop him... That's not a rb1.

Like I said, he's the chad Johnson of running backs. He will always have a sucker that bites.

If you want to split hairs over a few words I said, please be my guest. That's the epitome of why I stay away from these boards so much: you disagree with someone's opinion and they take it as a personal attack, or if you use the words "not doing much" instead of "not living up to rb1 expectations" and someone jumps down your throat.

I don't consider being drafted as a rb1 and performing to expectations only 4-5 games a year doing much. Your opinion may be different, that's great, but I'm not going to break down yor posts word for word and try to find one bad thing you may have mistyped. I've grown up past those days
1. I am a Chris Johnson owner, I am aware. (not in my main league, RB2 in another league)

2. I never said anything about him being an RB1. You don't have to be an RB1 to "do something". RB2's are pretty damn important to fantasy football, you know?

3. Only a moron, or a person in a 6 man league, would drop Chris Johnson.

4. We are talking about more than one season here. You are talking about YEARS here. YEARS IN A ROW where he had 1,460+ YFS

Charles

Forte

Lynch

McCoy

Moreno

Bush

F. Jackson

Peterson

Foster

Gore

Woodhead

Murray

Bernard

Bell

Sproles

C. Johnson

J. Rodgers

Morris

Mathews

Rice

P. Thomas

Martin

Ridley

Richardson

What? He followed up his rookie season with a Top 5 and a Top 3 finish.

To be fair, I was HUGE on Martin this year. I pegged him perfect last season and thought he'd be as safe of a #1 as could be. I was huge on spiller as well. He slipped pretty far but was taken right before me. Took Forte and was excited but bummed. Big on Richardson and Ridley: I figured with that many TDs they were bound to only get better and have huge value this year.

I was also low on Charles and AP (thought ap would have a Chris Johnson...wait I have to be careful with my word choice... "Not up to expectations for a RB1" season).

I was wrong on a lot of those. Got kind of lucky this year with forte and Murray. By no means am I trying to come out and crow about martins crap year. I thought he would be lights out. Trying to figure out what to learn from it myself

Users who are viewing this thread