What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Martin done for season (1 Viewer)

EBF said:
Khy said:
EBF said:
Khy said:
All of these guys are out performing Martin up to this point... with just as bad if not worse surrounding casts. So while Martin wasn't as bad as his numbers show, I also wouldn't say he's 100% primed for a buy low either. It's possible this ends up being an Olandis Gary situation or something. At the very least, he should have been doing a little bit better than most people thought coming into this season. No dynasty owner is selling him any lower than a Top 5 dynasty RB right now. Even with the injury. And I don't think he's worth that price right now.
Add in the first round background and the awesome rookie season, and at worst he's a Lynch/Forte type for his career.

If his value drops significantly (late 2nd-mid 3rd round of startups), he'll be a no-brainer buy low in dynasty.
I'd like to know how he's "at worst" a Lynch/Forte type for his career? He has more or less 3 good games in his 22 game career. Every other game he averaged about 70-80 yards and maybe 0.3 TDs per game? Which would say he's... "at worst" a Brandon Jacobs type for his career. Not a Lynch/Forte type.
He's just a great all-around back. Power, speed, agility, and receiving skills all rolled into one package. Hence the comparisons to Lynch and Forte.

A lot of people don't realize what a big play threat he is. Here are the 2012 NFL leaders in 20+ yard runs:

Peterson - 27

Spiller - 12

Charles - 11

Martin - 11

Foster - 9

Lynch - 9

Newton - 9

Morris - 9

Johnson - 8

Gore - 7

The idea that he's a one-game wonder is totally overblown. Like any RB, he has good weeks and bad weeks, but he was over 4 YPC in 9 of 16 games last season and 4 of 6 games this season. He didn't have a single TD this season and that's what kept his FF numbers down, but he played fine overall. You've got the realize that he's a marked man, Schiano is out of his depth, and the Bucs are one of the WORST passing offenses in the entire NFL. They rank 30 out of 32 teams in passing yards per game. They also rank 31 of 32 teams in points per game. The Bucs are terrible. They don't put Martin in an ideal position to succeed, but he still gets it done because he's that good.

There aren't a lot of legitimate every down backs floating around the NFL these days, so when you find one in FF you've got to hang on tight. Anyone who trades away Martin now for a discount price is making a massive blunder that will haunt them for the next 3-6 years.
Maybe I'm just a bit biased but I called his massive regression coming into the season and people told me I was insane when I said I wouldn't have drafted him earlier than the 5th RB off the board. I'm in no way trying to discount one of the greatest rookie RB seasons ever. I just felt like he wasn't consistent last season and I felt like his floor was significantly lower than almost everyone seemed to think it was. People seemed to think his floor this season was about 1300 yards rushing and 10 TDs which just seemed ridiculous to me.

When I look at his season last year and his 5 games this year (discounting this week cause he got hurt) he played in 21 games in his young career.

10/21 (47%) of them he finished below 4ypc. 15/21 (71%) of them he finished below 100 yards rushing. 13/21 (61%) he finished without a touchdown.

And perhaps the most shocking? That one Oakland game last year? 251 yards and 4 TDs? Still accounts for approx. 13% of his career yardage and 30% of his career touchdowns after almost 1.5 seasons of play.

He must be one of the least consistent "Top 5 Consensus" RBs I can ever remember. This is irregardless of his injury. And yes, I'm not including his receiving numbers in here as so far this season he's barely been included as a receiver. He was on pace for about 32 receptions and 176 yards this season. Which is so much lower than last year it's not even worth discussing.

Don't know about you, but I like knowing my RB1 has more than a 40% chance of a TD and more than a 30% chance at more than 100 yards week to week.

Last edited by a moderator:
EBF said:
Khy said:
EBF said:
Khy said:
All of these guys are out performing Martin up to this point... with just as bad if not worse surrounding casts. So while Martin wasn't as bad as his numbers show, I also wouldn't say he's 100% primed for a buy low either. It's possible this ends up being an Olandis Gary situation or something. At the very least, he should have been doing a little bit better than most people thought coming into this season. No dynasty owner is selling him any lower than a Top 5 dynasty RB right now. Even with the injury. And I don't think he's worth that price right now.
Add in the first round background and the awesome rookie season, and at worst he's a Lynch/Forte type for his career.

If his value drops significantly (late 2nd-mid 3rd round of startups), he'll be a no-brainer buy low in dynasty.
I'd like to know how he's "at worst" a Lynch/Forte type for his career? He has more or less 3 good games in his 22 game career. Every other game he averaged about 70-80 yards and maybe 0.3 TDs per game? Which would say he's... "at worst" a Brandon Jacobs type for his career. Not a Lynch/Forte type.
He's just a great all-around back. Power, speed, agility, and receiving skills all rolled into one package. Hence the comparisons to Lynch and Forte.

A lot of people don't realize what a big play threat he is. Here are the 2012 NFL leaders in 20+ yard runs:

Peterson - 27

Spiller - 12

Charles - 11

Martin - 11

Foster - 9

Lynch - 9

Newton - 9

Morris - 9

Johnson - 8

Gore - 7

The idea that he's a one-game wonder is totally overblown. Like any RB, he has good weeks and bad weeks, but he was over 4 YPC in 9 of 16 games last season and 4 of 6 games this season. He didn't have a single TD this season and that's what kept his FF numbers down, but he played fine overall. You've got the realize that he's a marked man, Schiano is out of his depth, and the Bucs are one of the WORST passing offenses in the entire NFL. They rank 30 out of 32 teams in passing yards per game. They also rank 31 of 32 teams in points per game. The Bucs are terrible. They don't put Martin in an ideal position to succeed, but he still gets it done because he's that good.

There aren't a lot of legitimate every down backs floating around the NFL these days, so when you find one in FF you've got to hang on tight. Anyone who trades away Martin now for a discount price is making a massive blunder that will haunt them for the next 3-6 years.
Maybe I'm just a bit biased but I called his massive regression coming into the season and people told me I was insane when I said I wouldn't have drafted him earlier than the 5th RB off the board. I'm in no way trying to discount one of the greatest rookie RB seasons ever. I just felt like he wasn't consistent last season and I felt like his floor was significantly lower than almost everyone seemed to think it was. People seemed to think his floor this season was about 1300 yards rushing and 10 TDs which just seemed ridiculous to me.

When I look at his season last year and his 5 games this year (discounting this week cause he got hurt) he played in 21 games in his young career.

10/21 (47%) of them he finished below 4ypc. 15/21 (71%) of them he finished below 100 yards rushing. 13/21 (61%) he finished without a touchdown.

And perhaps the most shocking? That one Oakland game last year? 251 yards and 4 TDs? Still accounts for approx. 13% of his career yardage and 30% of his career touchdowns after almost 1.5 seasons of play.

He must be one of the least consistent "Top 5 Consensus" RBs I can ever remember. This is irregardless of his injury. And yes, I'm not including his receiving numbers in here as so far this season he's barely been included as a receiver. He was on pace for about 32 receptions and 176 yards this season. Which is so much lower than last year it's not even worth discussing.

Don't know about you, but I like knowing my RB1 has more than a 40% chance of a TD and more than a 30% chance at more than 100 yards week to week.
hence he's not that mind blowing.. top 15 at best in ppr.

Bro he's done you can cut him in a dynasty.
[sarcasm]More great advice from the sharpest guy in the Pool! :thumbsup: [/sarcasm]
I can name 5 backs I would rather have in a dynasty easy

charles,mccoy,ap,forte,gio to start? any one have a problem with that in ppr??? doubt it cornhole. Shut your ridiculous pie hole you make no sense and are a complete dipwad.
T with T back with some expert advice. Drop all RB's that aren't top-5 backs. In Dynasty. Championshiiiiip!

Bro he's done you can cut him in a dynasty.
[sarcasm]More great advice from the sharpest guy in the Pool! :thumbsup: [/sarcasm]
I can name 5 backs I would rather have in a dynasty easy

charles,mccoy,ap,forte,gio to start? any one have a problem with that in ppr??? doubt it cornhole. Shut your ridiculous pie hole you make no sense and are a complete dipwad.
lynch,foster,rice,knowshon is that to far a stretch??? Dmartin is way over hyped imo son.
Charles - Yes

McCoy - Yes

AP - Yes

Forte - Yes

Gio - Maybe

Lynch - Maybe

Foster - Maybe

Rice - No

Knowshon - Maybe? Probably not

That said... my God man. Please, gather a better understanding of the English language and just football in general. You're on ignore for me as it is but I randomly will read your posts. Seriously though, cornhole? Dipwad? Are you seven years old? The fact that you make fun of people on these boards. Continually people idiots and morons, then proceed to show a complete lack of understanding for grammar and spelling baffles me.

EBF said:
cstu said:
Terribly disappointing sophomore season.
I hope people latch onto this and downgrade Martin.

He wasn't that bad this year. Basically had one nightmare game against Arizona and otherwise played okay.
Agreed.

I'm looking forward to taking him in the 3rd round or later next season, the way things are going.

OK I am Martin owner, but I do have some understanding on what happened to his shoulder. I was in Iraq in 2011 and hurt my shoulder diving for cover during a mortar attack, yet I still did things like lift weights, toss sandbags and tons of other items on my then 38 year old shoulder following the incident. It hurt like all get out at first, but after about a week I was fine to do all the above listed tasks. I didn't want to come out of theater as we were only like a month from rotating back home and didn't want to cost the taxpayers money to replace me.

Once I got home the doc said I had torn my labrum and when the surgeon went to repair it he also noticed my bicep was only hanging on my a small thread of tendon (or ligament I can't remember). Point being my body was not in the near physical shape of D-Marts, but given Schiano's comments and that he would have already had an MRI/Xray/Doctor comments and saying it's not season ending and most likely coming back I could see it.

I did also see Dr. Bramel talk about severity in another thread, so I could be off here, but I'm just going off a like injury and I was still able to do some major work with the arm in very taxing environment (Not quite the NFL pounding a RB takes, but you get the point).

That being said I own Leonard as he was the clear handcuff in pre-season, but last game James got the carries. If given the chance to get James on the WW I will, but I have about 6 vultures in front of me this week, so I doubt I will get him. I will most likely roll with Bush AND Bell or use a WR in a flex hoping D-Mart comes back in 2-3 weeks.

OK I am Martin owner, but I do have some understanding on what happened to his shoulder. I was in Iraq in 2011 and hurt my shoulder diving for cover during a mortar attack, yet I still did things like lift weights, toss sandbags and tons of other items on my then 38 year old shoulder following the incident. It hurt like all get out at first, but after about a week I was fine to do all the above listed tasks. I didn't want to come out of theater as we were only like a month from rotating back home and didn't want to cost the taxpayers money to replace me.

Once I got home the doc said I had torn my labrum and when the surgeon went to repair it he also noticed my bicep was only hanging on my a small thread of tendon (or ligament I can't remember). Point being my body was not in the near physical shape of D-Marts, but given Schiano's comments and that he would have already had an MRI/Xray/Doctor comments and saying it's not season ending and most likely coming back I could see it.

I did also see Dr. Bramel talk about severity in another thread, so I could be off here, but I'm just going off a like injury and I was still able to do some major work with the arm in very taxing environment (Not quite the NFL pounding a RB takes, but you get the point).

That being said I own Leonard as he was the clear handcuff in pre-season, but last game James got the carries. If given the chance to get James on the WW I will, but I have about 6 vultures in front of me this week, so I doubt I will get him. I will most likely roll with Bush AND Bell or use a WR in a flex hoping D-Mart comes back in 2-3 weeks.
The thing is Dmartin isn't gonna be throwing around sand bags... this is a diff animal... Reports are he's done and will be put on IR immediately!

The thing is Dmartin isn't gonna be throwing around sand bags... this is a diff animal... Reports are he's done and will be put on IR immediately!
And I did say it wasn't the same, but there are a lot of reports coming out of Tampa Bay saying it's not that bad and from others on a pure speculative basis saying its real bad. When I saw my surgeon he did give me 2 choices - work through the pain and do some rehab and see if it gets better or do surgery. I chose rehab and pain management for 3 months, when there was no change he took the choice away (I was still Active Duty and had to get back to work). So it really depends on severity, which only he and the TB team know, the rest of us and the experts out there can only guess. They said Jake Locker was out for 6-8 weeks and he came back in what 3? I do think even if it wasn't a short week, he would have sat out the next game, rested got the strength back and took the rock in the next one. Now they will have like 10 days after the TNF game to see how he goes.

Could he be put on IR - sure, I am not doubting that, but if they were going to do that, I would imagine it would be already done like in the cases of Wayne and Bradofrd who also got injured yesterday. This sounds more like a wait and see approach at least this week. People panicking and even talking about dropping in dynasty leagues seems a bit overkill. It's not like he shredded his knee.

As a Bucs fan I am ok with this. No point in that idiot meathead Schiano running him into the ground 25-30 times a game to go 2-14. Get him back next year at 100% with a good coach.

As a Bucs fan I am ok with this. No point in that idiot meathead Schiano running him into the ground 25-30 times a game to go 2-14. Get him back next year at 100% with a good coach.
I'm trying to be positive and I thought of this as well. They were running him in the ground for nothing, football wise or FF wise. There's always next year.

Who is reporting what from where? I was reading its a 4-6 week recovery for normal peeps. So who is the hack writing this report?

And I did say it wasn't the same, but there are a lot of reports coming out of Tampa Bay saying it's not that bad and from others on a pure speculative basis saying its real bad. When I saw my surgeon he did give me 2 choices - work through the pain and do some rehab and see if it gets better or do surgery. I chose rehab and pain management for 3 months, when there was no change he took the choice away (I was still Active Duty and had to get back to work). So it really depends on severity, which only he and the TB team know, the rest of us and the experts out there can only guess. They said Jake Locker was out for 6-8 weeks and he came back in what 3? I do think even if it wasn't a short week, he would have sat out the next game, rested got the strength back and took the rock in the next one. Now they will have like 10 days after the TNF game to see how he goes.

Could he be put on IR - sure, I am not doubting that, but if they were going to do that, I would imagine it would be already done like in the cases of Wayne and Bradofrd who also got injured yesterday. This sounds more like a wait and see approach at least this week. People panicking and even talking about dropping in dynasty leagues seems a bit overkill. It's not like he shredded his knee.
ok man not gonna say your wrong it probably depends on the person and severity. Best case he misses multiple weeks and he was far from a top tier Rb1 this year with his skimpy points in ppr..... that's all im saying bro. don't want to say hes done forever it just looks like a long time he will be gone for..

ok man not gonna say your wrong it probably depends on the person and severity. Best case he misses multiple weeks and he was far from a top tier Rb1 this year with his skimpy points in ppr..... that's all im saying bro. don't want to say hes done forever it just looks like a long time he will be gone for..
Totally agree with you, We will just have to see how it goes!

I don't mean to nitpick and I don't disagree with some of what you're saying, but you're supremely overrating how often RBs rush for 100 yards.

Ray Rice, for instance, has rushed for 100+ yards in 22% of his starts since taking over the job in 2009. If you're looking for a guy that has more than a 30% chance of eclipsing 100 rushing yards you're pretty much looking for Adrian Peterson and no one else, and even he has barely done it for his career.

Speaking Monday, Bucs coach Greg Schiano admitted it would be a "stretch" for Doug Martin (shoulder) to play in Week 8, but that the team does not believe his injury is season-ending.

Take it with a grain of salt — this is Greg Schiano we're talking about here — but it's unlikely Schiano would project such positivity if he truly feared Martin's season was over. Of course, Schiano did not provide a timetable for Martin's return, so he should still be considered out indefinitely. Mike James will get the start on Thursday against the Panthers. It's possible Martin's status won't be meaningfully updated until next week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7426/doug-martin

just_want_2_win said:
Speaking Monday, Bucs coach Greg Schiano admitted it would be a "stretch" for Doug Martin (shoulder) to play in Week 8, but that the team does not believe his injury is season-ending.

Take it with a grain of salt — this is Greg Schiano we're talking about here — but it's unlikely Schiano would project such positivity if he truly feared Martin's season was over. Of course, Schiano did not provide a timetable for Martin's return, so he should still be considered out indefinitely. Mike James will get the start on Thursday against the Panthers. It's possible Martin's status won't be meaningfully updated until next week.

We've been discussing that part for the better portion of this thread. General consensus is most people here (including myself) believe the "multiple sources" more than Schiano. Schiano is a snake he is definitely the type of coach to say "Ahhh, I doubt he plays this week" to think he's going to somehow outsmart other teams preparing for his team.

Are people dropping him in redrafts during waivers tonight? Or hanging onto him in case he comes back?

Despite Schiano's comment, I'm still leaning to drop.

Are people dropping him in redrafts during waivers tonight? Or hanging onto him in case he comes back?

Despite Schiano's comment, I'm still leaning to drop.
I'm leaning towards dropping him to pick up James. If I don't get James, I'll keep Martin for another week. I figure no one will pick up Martin while he's dinged and maybe out for the season. Then, i can evaluate for next weeks wavers...

im dropping him, there season is a dud altogether, whats the point in bringing him back at less then 100%

add him to the list of complete busts this year

I was in Iraq in 2011 and hurt my shoulder diving for cover during a mortar attack, yet I still did things like lift weights, toss sandbags and tons of other items on my then 38 year old shoulder following the incident. It hurt like all get out at first, but after about a week I was fine to do all the above listed tasks. I didn't want to come out of theater as we were only like a month from rotating back home and didn't want to cost the taxpayers money to replace me.
Thank you for your service.

I was in Iraq in 2011 and hurt my shoulder diving for cover during a mortar attack, yet I still did things like lift weights, toss sandbags and tons of other items on my then 38 year old shoulder following the incident. It hurt like all get out at first, but after about a week I was fine to do all the above listed tasks. I didn't want to come out of theater as we were only like a month from rotating back home and didn't want to cost the taxpayers money to replace me.
Yes, you're a rarity Dacomish. Thank you.

Sorry guys, wasn't trying to look for that, just a relative injury from my point of view, but thank you.

Doug Martin (shoulder) isn't practicing ahead of Thursday's game.

Martin isn't going to play Thursday, or perhaps the rest of the season. The team appears to be awaiting the results of a second opinion before announcing his status, however. Mike James will get the start against the Panthers, and is worth FLEXing in fantasy leagues. Oct 22 - 4:35 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I was in Iraq in 2011 and hurt my shoulder diving for cover during a mortar attack, yet I still did things like lift weights, toss sandbags and tons of other items on my then 38 year old shoulder following the incident. It hurt like all get out at first, but after about a week I was fine to do all the above listed tasks. I didn't want to come out of theater as we were only like a month from rotating back home and didn't want to cost the taxpayers even more money to replace me.
Yes, you're a rarity Dacomish. Thank you.
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread