What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Gobbler welched out on his bet from year ago in this thread (2 Viewers)

If I'm The Hornets, Here's My Biggest Concern: Do I really want to rebuild my entire team around Andrew Bynum, someone who missed an extraordinary number of games already, might be headed for more knee problems down the road, and seems to have the emotional maturity of a Real World roommate? Am I the only one who remembers him clotheslining little J.J. Barea last spring, then storming off half-naked? That's going to be my signature guy for the rest of the decade? Really?
Haters can hate, but as a Laker fan I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.I'm in favor of moving Bynum for Howard and/or Paul, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not stressing. I think this is the year the Bynum monster erupts and he's the starting C in the All Star game putting up beast numbers.
As a Laker fan that was pretty pathetic to see. Grow the #### up and have some class.

If I'm The Hornets, Here's My Biggest Concern: Do I really want to rebuild my entire team around Andrew Bynum, someone who missed an extraordinary number of games already, might be headed for more knee problems down the road, and seems to have the emotional maturity of a Real World roommate? Am I the only one who remembers him clotheslining little J.J. Barea last spring, then storming off half-naked? That's going to be my signature guy for the rest of the decade? Really?
Haters can hate, but as a Laker fan I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.I'm in favor of moving Bynum for Howard and/or Paul, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not stressing. I think this is the year the Bynum monster erupts and he's the starting C in the All Star game putting up beast numbers.
As a Laker fan that was pretty pathetic to see. Grow the #### up and have some class.
Meh. Class is overrated.

Who's we? Speak for yourself. You've been waiting for Bynum to behave like a punk? I'm surprised that you would write this. That act embarrassed and ashamed me as a Laker fan. The only way I can root for the guy again is if I believe that it was an emotional moment from an immature kid who was behaving stupidly and deserves another chance. But if being a Laker fan means that I have to cheer stuff like that, count me out.

From Adrian Wojnarowski:

Jason Kapono intends to sign a one-year contract for the veteran minimum with the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday, league sources tell Y!
Meh. I hope he still has his stroke, he barely played the last two years, otherwise he's no-dimensional. Where's his PT coming at anyway? I heard they were supposedly grooming Ebanks to play some 2. Couldn't they have waited to see if something better comes along?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this......this I do

L.A. LAKERS

The Trade: Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor for Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Steve Blake and Derrick Caracter.

Additional Notes: I'm not sure the Hornets would keep Odom here — they could spin him to, say, the Clippers (for Aminu and Ryan Gomes) or Minnesota (for Michael Beasley and Anthony Randolph).

The Verdict: As a full-fledged Lakers hater, this one sends chills down my spine. The Hornets save $7 million this season, rebuild around Bynum (good luck with that) and dump the last three years of their Okafor/Ariza deals ($62.7 million). The Lakers get a true center back (Okafor, an underrated double-double guy who can protect the rim), a defensive swingman who knows how to play with Kobe (Ariza), and one of the biggest point guard upgrades in basketball history (going from Steve Blake and Derek Fisher to Chris Paul). They're reinventing their team AND making it better. Yikes.

If I'm The Lakers, Here's My Biggest Concern: We can't get Howard AND Paul. Is getting Paul a better course than getting Howard? My answer: Yes. Getting Howard requires a Bynum/Gasol package; getting Paul means you keep Gasol, which means you'd have three of the best 15 players in basketball (Kobe, Gasol, Paul) and some competent rotation guys (Okafor, Ariza, Fisher, Metta World Peace and Free Agent X). That's a no-brainer in my mind. I'd have a better chance of winning with Kobe, Gasol, Paul, Okafor and Ariza than Kobe, Howard, Odom and Turkoglu — not just this season, but the next two after that.

Paul, Fisher, MorrisKobe, Goudelock

Ariza, Barnes,Kapono, Ebanks

Gasol

Okafur

Amnesty MWP, Walton retires, Shannon Brown leaves.

MLE, and Vet mins to the best bigmen that want to come for that price.
JMon, you so much remind me of my brother. Like you, he's got this romantic view of Ariza and thinks we never should have gotten rid of him. Ariza was OK, but he was no superstar and he's not going to be one. If we can get Howard, that's the trade we make. To me, that's much more important than obtaining Paul.

Haters can hate, but as a Laker fan I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.

I'm in favor of moving Bynum for Howard and/or Paul, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not stressing. I think this is the year the Bynum monster erupts and he's the starting C in the All Star game putting up beast numbers.
Who's we? Speak for yourself. You've been waiting for Bynum to behave like a punk? I'm surprised that you would write this. That act embarrassed and ashamed me as a Laker fan. The only way I can root for the guy again is if I believe that it was an emotional moment from an immature kid who was behaving stupidly and deserves another chance. But if being a Laker fan means that I have to cheer stuff like that, count me out.
Yes tim. I'm installing a "MUST CHEER FOR FLAGRANT FOULS" symbian style machine in each and every Laker fans home that physically forces them to cheer for technical fouls. Let me know if you want me to cancel shipping to your address.It was a misguided emotional outburst from a player who's been accused of being soft and overly mellow his entire young career. Of course I don't want it happening on a regular basis, but #### it, the Lakers were getting pummeled and no one besides Kobe seemed to give a ####. I was glad to see some emotion - even if it was wrong and cost him 5 games this year.

Now this......this I do

L.A. LAKERS

The Trade: Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor for Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Steve Blake and Derrick Caracter.

Additional Notes: I'm not sure the Hornets would keep Odom here — they could spin him to, say, the Clippers (for Aminu and Ryan Gomes) or Minnesota (for Michael Beasley and Anthony Randolph).

The Verdict: As a full-fledged Lakers hater, this one sends chills down my spine. The Hornets save $7 million this season, rebuild around Bynum (good luck with that) and dump the last three years of their Okafor/Ariza deals ($62.7 million). The Lakers get a true center back (Okafor, an underrated double-double guy who can protect the rim), a defensive swingman who knows how to play with Kobe (Ariza), and one of the biggest point guard upgrades in basketball history (going from Steve Blake and Derek Fisher to Chris Paul). They're reinventing their team AND making it better. Yikes.

If I'm The Lakers, Here's My Biggest Concern: We can't get Howard AND Paul. Is getting Paul a better course than getting Howard? My answer: Yes. Getting Howard requires a Bynum/Gasol package; getting Paul means you keep Gasol, which means you'd have three of the best 15 players in basketball (Kobe, Gasol, Paul) and some competent rotation guys (Okafor, Ariza, Fisher, Metta World Peace and Free Agent X). That's a no-brainer in my mind. I'd have a better chance of winning with Kobe, Gasol, Paul, Okafor and Ariza than Kobe, Howard, Odom and Turkoglu — not just this season, but the next two after that.

Gasol

Okafur

JMon, you so much remind me of my brother. Like you, he's got this romantic view of Ariza and thinks we never should have gotten rid of him. Ariza was OK, but he was no superstar and he's not going to be one. If we can get Howard, that's the trade we make. To me, that's much more important than obtaining Paul.
Honestly I have no clue what you are talking about. Ariza is a necessary evil we would have to take on to get Paul. I really would like to know how you came up with me having a romantic view of Ariza from posting this trade and liking it. I thought it was the right move to get rid of Ariza to bring in Artest 2 years ago.Sometimes I want to defend you when you are being bashed on these boards, but other times I'm confused by you like everyone else.

Haters can hate, but as a Laker fan I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.

I'm in favor of moving Bynum for Howard and/or Paul, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not stressing. I think this is the year the Bynum monster erupts and he's the starting C in the All Star game putting up beast numbers.
Yes tim. I'm installing a "MUST CHEER FOR FLAGRANT FOULS" symbian style machine in each and every Laker fans home that physically forces them to cheer for technical fouls. Let me know if you want me to cancel shipping to your address.It was a misguided emotional outburst from a player who's been accused of being soft and overly mellow his entire young career. Of course I don't want it happening on a regular basis, but #### it, the Lakers were getting pummeled and no one besides Kobe seemed to give a ####. I was glad to see some emotion - even if it was wrong and cost him 5 games this year.
:goodposting:

Now this......this I do

L.A. LAKERS

Gasol

Okafur

Honestly I have no clue what you are talking about. Ariza is a necessary evil we would have to take on to get Paul. I really would like to know how you came up with me having a romantic view of Ariza from posting this trade and liking it. I thought it was the right move to get rid of Ariza to bring in Artest 2 years ago.Sometimes I want to defend you when you are being bashed on these boards, but other times I'm confused by you like everyone else.
OK. sorry I confused you with somebody else. But I still don't understand why you value Paul over Howard.

If we can get Howard, that's the trade we make. To me, that's much more important than obtaining Paul.
Trading 2 of the 3 quality bigs for a small is a non-starter in my book.
This is reeediculous!!! The only person you trade Bynum for is Howard. You don't trade your big man for a small with bone on bone in his knee. There is a reason Paul won't sign anywhere without an extension, his knee is garbage and he only has 1 maybe two years left and quite honestly he may not even have 1.

It was a punk ### move. You think slamming a little guy like Barea makes him look less soft? And don't try to say now that it was misguided and wrong. I'm going to quote what you wrote above:

I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.

Sorry Tgunz, but that's disgusting.

It was a punk ### move. You think slamming a little guy like Barea makes him look less soft? And don't try to say now that it was misguided and wrong. I'm going to quote what you wrote above:

I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.

:goodposting: That made me feel very dirty.

If we can get Howard, that's the trade we make. To me, that's much more important than obtaining Paul.
This is reeediculous!!! The only person you trade Bynum for is Howard. You don't trade your big man for a small with bone on bone in his knee. There is a reason Paul won't sign anywhere without an extension, his knee is garbage and he only has 1 maybe two years left and quite honestly he may not even have 1.
Huh? Are we talking about the same Chris Paul? Does he have a new knee injury that occurred after the last season? You know, the season in which he played 80 of 82 games and was finished 6th overall in Hollinger's PER rankings?

Stephen A. Smith made a good point today. He said, even if the Lakers trade away 2 out of the 3 bigs, getting Howard still makes them a championship contender, getting Paul doesn't get them to that level. I agree.

Stephen A. Smith made a good point today. He said, even if the Lakers trade away 2 out of the 3 bigs, getting Howard still makes them a championship contender, getting Paul doesn't get them to that level. I agree.
CP3, Kobe, Artest, Odom, and Gasol isn't a championship contending team?ETA: I"d argue that lineup is actually the best team overall that the Lakers could run out this season, even better than a lineup with Howard. In the long run, I lean toward acquiring Howard for the future however.

'tommyGunZ said:
'Dr. Gobbler said:
Huh? Are we talking about the same Chris Paul? Does he have a new knee injury that occurred after the last season? You know, the season in which he played 80 of 82 games and was finished 6th overall in Hollinger's PER rankings?
Doesn't change the fact that his knee cartilage is gone and he is operating on bone on bone. It's been widely reported, google it.

'timschochet said:

Weren't you talking about the glory days of Jordan/Bird/Magic just the other day? Ever heard of the no-layups in the playoffs rule? I'm not saying Bynum didn't deserve the ejection, or that he didn't deserve the suspension. But this whole "disgusting" and "slamming a little guy" stuff is horse####. Bynum wasn't doing BMI calculations when he saw Barea coming down the lane. It wasn't pre-meditated.

'tommyGunZ said:
'Dr. Gobbler said:
Doesn't change the fact that his knee cartilage is gone and he is operating on bone on bone. It's been widely reported, google it.
Are you talking about the surgery in 2010? I'm well aware of Paul's knee issues. I'm responding to your comment that "he has 1 maybe two years left and quite honestly he may not even have 1". That's just seems like a ridiculous comment to make about a 26 year old who played 80 of 82 games last year at an elite level.

'timschochet said:

Weren't you talking about the glory days of Jordan/Bird/Magic just the other day? Ever heard of the no-layups in the playoffs rule? I'm not saying Bynum didn't deserve the ejection, or that he didn't deserve the suspension. But this whole "disgusting" and "slamming a little guy" stuff is horse####. Bynum wasn't doing BMI calculations when he saw Barea coming down the lane. It wasn't pre-meditated.
It wasn't? At the time it happened, I thought it was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen. I wasn't watching NBA basketball when Kermit Washington had his punch, but that's what I thought of. I don't think it's something worth celebrating. I guess we just disagree about this. As I wrote earlier, he's a young guy and I'm not willing to pass permanent judgment on him over this incident. But it really shouldn't be defended.

he's a young guy and I'm not willing to pass permanent judgment on him over this incident. But it really shouldn't be defended.
He's got a history of this. It's not smart, it's not tough, it doesn't send a message, it shouldn't be any part of his game. It's just a petulant child lashing out when things don't go his way. He's lucky someone hasn't suffered even more damage than they have (Gerald Wallace got pretty messed up but I don't think he has permanent damage). It needs to stop, he needs to grow the #### up or he needs to be gone. There's no place for that garbage in sport.

T & P to Dr. Buss, the real most valuable Laker. They're saying he should be released from the hospital in the next day, but blood clots are serious business, particularly for a guy his age. My grandpa got one in his leg from a fall he had, it eventually traveled up far enough that it clogged arteries, caused a heart attack and killed him. The sooner Buss gets well the better.

CP3, Kobe, Artest, Odom, and Gasol isn't a championship contending team?ETA: I"d argue that lineup is actually the best team overall that the Lakers could run out this season, even better than a lineup with Howard. In the long run, I lean toward acquiring Howard for the future however.
I'd rather have a dominant force in the playoffs and finals.

I don't really get how Kobe and Paul are supposed to work in the same back court. They both need to dominate the ball to be effective. This isn't the olympics or the all star game. Kobe is going to turn into a stand around guy waiting for dishes? They're going to run some kind of 2 man game on the perimeter?

I prefer Howard over Paul, if it's a choice. But I'm not sure it is a choice. At least we know that Paul's available, and that the Hornets are considerng trading him. With Howard, I have no idea WHAT the Magic are thinking. Perhaps, like Premier wants, they prefer to keep him and take their chances. Perhaps they can talk him into returning to them. Perhaps other teams will interest either him or the Magic more. None of us have any idea, but here's what I know based on the past: the odds are that NONE of these trades will happen, and that the Lakers with only a few tweaks will be forced to make do with what they have.

'timschochet said:

1) Those rules have been toned down. The NBA doesn't allow the physicality they used to.2) Even when those rules applied, they only applied when a game or series was still competitive like when McHale clotheslined Rambis. Even as a Lakers fan I can respect that foul. What Bynum did is totally different. Fouling someone like that in the closing minutes of the last game of a series when you're down by 30 is a punk move. I don't see how there's any defense of it.

I don't really get how Kobe and Paul are supposed to work in the same back court. They both need to dominate the ball to be effective. This isn't the olympics or the all star game. Kobe is going to turn into a stand around guy waiting for dishes? They're going to run some kind of 2 man game on the perimeter?
Chris Paul will get Kobe open shots all night long. I think they'd be fine in the same backcourt. That said, if I have to choose between Paul and Howard I take Howard easily.

I prefer Howard over Paul, if it's a choice. But I'm not sure it is a choice. At least we know that Paul's available, and that the Hornets are considerng trading him. With Howard, I have no idea WHAT the Magic are thinking. Perhaps, like Premier wants, they prefer to keep him and take their chances. Perhaps they can talk him into returning to them. Perhaps other teams will interest either him or the Magic more. None of us have any idea, but here's what I know based on the past: the odds are that NONE of these trades will happen, and that the Lakers with only a few tweaks will be forced to make do with what they have.
The Magic aren't going to hope and pray that Howard resigns with them, for two reasons:1) He isn't going to. If he were he'd already be talking to them about that.2) They tried that with Shaq and he just left and they got nothing in return. That team would be horrible next year if they did nothing and let Howard walk. And how stupid would the Magic look letting two hall of fame centers simply walk away and sign with the Lakers?

Chris Paul will get Kobe open shots all night long. I think they'd be fine in the same backcourt. That said, if I have to choose between Paul and Howard I take Howard easily.
So Paul would defer to Kobe - because I'm pretty sure Kobe wouldn't defer to Paul.

So Paul would defer to Kobe - because I'm pretty sure Kobe wouldn't defer to Paul.
A point guard is supposed to defer to a shooting guard, right? Otherwise he wouldn't be a point guard, he'd be a shooting guard.

A point guard is supposed to defer to a shooting guard, right? Otherwise he wouldn't be a point guard, he'd be a shooting guard.
So who gets the ball at the end of a game? Kobe has spent his entire career dominating the ball, creating his own (and sometimes other peoples') offense. He's never worked with a traditional point guard. Seems like not such an easy or straightforward adjustment to me.

I don't know what you mean by defer in this instance. A PG initiates the offense. They decide what the best matchups are, set the offense, and initiate the play. I'd expect Paul to act in that capacity. He's a pass first PG so I don't see him having a problem coexisting with a scorer like Kobe. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Johnson, with his mentality as well as his abilities. His ability to drive, see the holes, and pass will get Kobe more wide open shots than he's probably had in his entire career. They can still run ISO's for Kobe when the matchups dictate, and he'll certainly still get his points. I see them complementing each other. I'd still rather have Howard but I think Paul would be a great asset to the team.

I don't know what you mean by defer in this instance. A PG initiates the offense. They decide what the best matchups are, set the offense, and initiate the play. I'd expect Paul to act in that capacity. He's a pass first PG so I don't see him having a problem coexisting with a scorer like Kobe. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Johnson, with his mentality as well as his abilities. His ability to drive, see the holes, and pass will get Kobe more wide open shots than he's probably had in his entire career. They can still run ISO's for Kobe when the matchups dictate, and he'll certainly still get his points. I see them complementing each other. I'd still rather have Howard but I think Paul would be a great asset to the team.
See above. What's Kobe going to be doing? Running off screens? Sprinting the baseline? Setting picks? Posting up? Hanging around the 3 point line waiting for the ball? The offense has run through him his entire life - he's going to change that now?

See above. What's Kobe going to be doing? Running off screens? Posting up? Hanging around the 3 point line waiting for the ball? The offense has run through him his entire life - he's going to change that now?
I could have sworn the offense ran through Shaq for the first half of Kobe's career. I must have been watching an alternate version of the NBA.Look, I hope we get Howard. If we don't, I'm not that keen on trading for Paul alone. If we can get both I think the Lakers would be almost unbeatable but unless Howard is in there I'm not impressed. But, I do think Paul and Kobe would be a great back court.

See above. What's Kobe going to be doing? Running off screens? Posting up? Hanging around the 3 point line waiting for the ball? The offense has run through him his entire life - he's going to change that now?
I could have sworn the offense ran through Shaq for the first half of Kobe's career. I must have been watching an alternate version of the NBA.
Right up until Kobe decided not to keep doing that. We all know how that story ended. Also I must have been watching an alternate version of the NBA where Shaq was a low post player and not a PG. Let me go to the tape....nope still looks like a 5 to me.

I could have sworn the offense ran through Shaq for the first half of Kobe's career. I must have been watching an alternate version of the NBA.
Right up until Kobe decided not to keep doing that. We all know how that story ended.
That's actually not true. I posted a lengthy post detailing the chronology of Shaq leaving a couple of years ago. It's not worth rehashing. Either way, the ball did not go through Kobe "his entire life."

Right up until Kobe decided not to keep doing that. We all know how that story ended.
Oh god please not this again.
:lmao:I don't want to start that again either. It's irrelevant to my point since Shaq wasn't a guard/perimeter guy who'd be competing for touches Kobe's used to getting. Kobe + quality big men == complementary. Kobe + another guard who needs to possess the ball significantly to be effective == :confused: .

WojYahooNBA Adrian WojnarowskiAs SI.com reports, the Lakers, Hornets and Rockets are engaged in 3-way talks on deal that would send Chris Paul to Lakers.WojYahooNBA Adrian WojnarowskiThe Lakers are trying to do a deal for Chris Paul that will allow them to keep Andrew Bymum, front office source says.
Maybe LA could end up with Paul and Howard after all...

WojYahooNBA Adrian WojnarowskiAs SI.com reports, the Lakers, Hornets and Rockets are engaged in 3-way talks on deal that would send Chris Paul to Lakers.WojYahooNBA Adrian WojnarowskiThe Lakers are trying to do a deal for Chris Paul that will allow them to keep Andrew Bymum, front office source says.
What does Houston have that the Hornets would want? Would the Rockets deal Lowry? Would they be a dumping ground for Okafur?

Would Paul resign with the Lakers if a trade works out? I've only heard about Paul being dead set on the Knicks next year.

What does Houston have that the Hornets would want? Would the Rockets deal Lowry? Would they be a dumping ground for Okafur?
Not much being reported on the pieces in this deal other than LA would keep Bynum/get Paul and HOU would end up with Gasol.

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. SpearsNames talked about in CP3 3-way are: CP to Lakers, Gasol to HOU & Kevin Martin & Luis Scola and possible picks to Hornets, source tells Y!
Lakers potentially getting CP3 for just Gasol. WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread