What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

draft 49ERS at your own risk (1 Viewer)

newteech

Footballguy
new head coach, lockout situation, aging/broken down lead RB, QB in a fog, top WR with foot issues.

This team will not score many points.

Hmmm I don't know. The combined QB performance of 8/22 50 yds passing and 2 INT's today isn't that great, but they did still complete 8 passes. EIGHT. That counts for something right.

There are so many issues, but the OL is possibly the worst in the NFL if they keep playing like they have. Both Smith and Kaper were getting pummeled. Twice Smith and once Kaper took a 3 step drop and did not finish planting their back foot before they were hit by an interior lineman. There were very few pass attempts when Hou had their first string in that were not thrown under desperation and intense pressure. It reminded me a little of the Chicago/NYG game last year.

Only caveat is that possibly Hou Defensive line is going to be that dominate, if that is the case then the 49ers OL maybe average.

All those who are drafting Vernon Davis high are gonna be really disappointed. Some time by week 5, Kapernick will be starting. Good luck getting anything from that O after that as they build towards the Luck sweepstakes.

If anyone is drafting any Niner player outside Vernon and expecting them to be a stud they're a fool. But I really don't think anyone is doing that. Most people realize this team will struggle. But even crappy teams score points.

Alex Smith still sucks. Crabtree is still an immature receiver. Gore has injury questions. But is this news to anyone? To me this who thread is sort of like announcing water is wet. :shrug:

If anyone is drafting any Niner player outside Vernon and expecting them to be a stud they're a fool. But I really don't think anyone is doing that. Most people realize this team will struggle. But even crappy teams score points. Alex Smith still sucks. Crabtree is still an immature receiver. Gore has injury questions. But is this news to anyone? To me this who thread is sort of like announcing water is wet. :shrug:
While I wouldn't expect studliness, I like Braylon enough as a WR4.

All those who are drafting Vernon Davis high are gonna be really disappointed. Some time by week 5, Kapernick will be starting. Good luck getting anything from that O after that as they build towards the Luck sweepstakes.
I disagree. Kaepernick is going to look at Vernon Davis like he's a big foam ring in the ocean and toss it to him early and often; he may be the only thing that keeps him alive.

Will Gore play if he doesn't get a new contract by the time the season starts?

I havent heard anything about this guy in the preseason.

Will Gore play if he doesn't get a new contract by the time the season starts?

I havent heard anything about this guy in the preseason.
I and many others would be absolutely shocked if Gore did not play. From Mercury news:
"I want something to get done before the season," said Gore, who has maintained that stance since ending a four-day holdout at the start of training camp. "Hopefully it can get done, something fair. But like I said, if it doesn't happen, I still have to be here for my teammates and try to stick it out."

Asked if he would request a trade or sit out the season opener if no extension occurs, Gore indicated it would be up to the team or his agent. "I won't have anything to do with that," Gore, the 49ers' third all-time leading rusher, said. "If my agent or the team wants to do that, hopefully they don't. I want to be here. I want to be a 49er, and I want to be treated right."
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_18774183?nclick_check=1

Gore is still draft worthy regardless of team situation. I wouldn't take him as my #1 but would still draft him if available. Vernon Davis is gonna produce I don't care if Mike Singletary is QB, oh he's gone anyway. I got Davis late 5th round in 12 team redraft. I'll take that at 1 pt.per reception. My next to last pick(17.07) RB Kendall Hunter. Don't look now but he's gonna get some chances and don't be surprised if he produces. Yeah, I think he'll be Gore's successor and in 3 yrs. you'll know him. Still only Gore & Davis are really draftable in redraft leagues. It's gonna be a tough year but those 2 guys will get production.

I can't admit to watching them too much in the preseason, and fortunately I didn't get any 49'ers skill players. How is their defense looking?

I waited a little too late to take a TD, so it looks like they will be my week one starters because of their game against Seattle.

I can't admit to watching them too much in the preseason, and fortunately I didn't get any 49'ers skill players. How is their defense looking?I waited a little too late to take a TD, so it looks like they will be my week one starters because of their game against Seattle.
Seattle looks awful on offense. But I'd still explore my other options. There are a lot of new parts to this team and they'll probably going to not have the playbook down the first week.

Crabtree is the real deal though as a receiver right? I had high hopes for him coming into the league. I was thinking Brandon Marshall 2.0 or something along those lines. What has held him back?

Crabtree is the real deal though as a receiver right? I had high hopes for him coming into the league. I was thinking Brandon Marshall 2.0 or something along those lines. What has held him back?
A combination of poor work ethic and poor QB play. Alex Smith is not good, but Crabtree also hasn't put in the work to learn the offense. He's now missed all 3 preseasons since coming to the NFL, one due to holdout, and two due to injury (although his injury last year was questionable). The 49er QBs also threw more than half of their interceptions last year while targeting crabtree, which I think points to Crabtree not being on the same page as the QBs. At this point, I don't hold onto high hopes for him. No real reason for optimism as nothing's really changed from the last 2 years. Still has a ####ty QB, and haven't seen any signs of him changing his attitude.

No real reason for optimism as nothing's really changed from the last 2 years.
Nothings changed? I'd consider Harbaugh's offense a huge upgrade to the Pop Warner style the 49ers played over the last 2 seasons. It may take 3 or 4 weeks for this offense to gel, but I think Crabtree will be much better in the West Coast offense.

Gore has signed a new 3-year contract.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18791130?nclick_check=1

By Cam Inman

cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com

Posted: 08/30/2011 05:33:12 PM PDT

Updated: 08/30/2011 05:35:32 PM PDT

San Francisco 49ers Frank Gore (21) heads off the field after their preseason game... ( ANDA CHU )«12345»Running back Frank Gore reportedly has agreed to a three-year, $21.5 million contract extension that includes $13.3 million in guaranteed money, according to NBC's ProFootballTalk.com.

Gore, the 49ers' third all-time leading rusher, was entering the final season of a contract slated to pay him $4.9 million this season. Gore's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the 49ers met Monday but did not have a deal by the time Gore met with the media around noon Tuesday.

"I told Drew just to call me when it feels right and is fair on both sides," Gore, 28, said.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said earlier Tuesday: "Frank is a true 49er. I've said that from when I first got here, that's how I thought I would feel about Frank Gore. Now I know how I feel about Frank Gore. The guy is awesome. Somebody should do a movie. Somebody should do the Frank Gore story, because it's an awesome story."

Wide receiver Braylon Edwards thinks Gore is ready to lead the 49ers where they haven't gone since the 2002 season: To the playoffs.

Said Edwards: "Frank's ready. He's been here long enough. He's ready to go to the playoffs. He's ready to go the next level. He's ready to sacrifice all of his personal and individual success for team success. It's great to be around guys like that. With his attitude and the things he can do, the sky's the limit for him as well as this offense."

It was reported that Gore had been seeking a deal comparable to the one recently awarded to the Carolina Panthers' DeAngelo Williams (5 years, $43 million with $21 million guaranteed).

No real reason for optimism as nothing's really changed from the last 2 years.
Nothings changed? I'd consider Harbaugh's offense a huge upgrade to the Pop Warner style the 49ers played over the last 2 seasons. It may take 3 or 4 weeks for this offense to gel, but I think Crabtree will be much better in the West Coast offense.
While I agree that Harbaugh's offense will be better than Singletary's (I think any offense would be better than Singletary's...), I don't think that was the major thing holding Crabtree back. I think a lot of it has to do with the QB and his lack of work in learning the system. If he didn't learn Singletary's system, will he learn Harbaugh's? The biggest question marks remain at QB and OL. Almost all of our O-linemen were drafted to be run blockers, but are terrible in passing situations. The niners were ranked something like 14th in run blocking last year, but 30th in pass protection.

The OLine is downright terrible. It doesn't help that Smith has one of the slowest most deliberate throws in the league. Also, I swear if a fly landed on his helmet he'd go down for a sack. Kaepernick looked just as bad, but at least he's got an excuse. Alex has been in the league for 6 years and ended the coaching careers of Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary. He also ended the careers of 3 Offensive Coordinators (Jim Hostler, Jimmy Raye, Mike Johnson). Though you could argue these guys had no business being OCs in the first place.

The OLine is downright terrible. It doesn't help that Smith has one of the slowest most deliberate throws in the league. Also, I swear if a fly landed on his helmet he'd go down for a sack. Kaepernick looked just as bad, but at least he's got an excuse. Alex has been in the league for 6 years and ended the coaching careers of Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary. He also ended the careers of 3 Offensive Coordinators (Jim Hostler, Jimmy Raye, Mike Johnson). Though you could argue these guys had no business being OCs in the first place.
Yeah, See the AZ Cards from last year. They are going to be about as steady as a 90 year old man chasing a cat.

:goodposting:

What's the feeling on Gore? Surely some of yesterday has to be attributed to rust....or is he falling to RB3 or 4 level this year?

:goodposting:What's the feeling on Gore? Surely some of yesterday has to be attributed to rust....or is he falling to RB3 or 4 level this year?
The O-line opened up nothing for him yesterday. The Niner O-line is very Jekyll and Hyde. One week they are good at pass protection, the next run blocking, etc.

:lol:

You guys are dominating your leagues with 49ers on your team?? Yeah right.

Gore is the highest ranking 49er in my league - and that is 42nd overall!

:lol:You guys are dominating your leagues with 49ers on your team?? Yeah right.Gore is the highest ranking 49er in my league - and that is 42nd overall!
Well, Justin Smith is the #12 DE in my league, Bowman is #4 LB, Willis is #7 LB, Aldon Smith is the #10 LB in the past 5 weeks since he started getting significant time. Even Dashon Goldston is the #25 DB (#16 Safety).Heck, you just drafted on the wrong side of the ball there, Chief! Looks like quite a few draft values to me. :)

:lol:You guys are dominating your leagues with 49ers on your team?? Yeah right.Gore is the highest ranking 49er in my league - and that is 42nd overall!
I am. Paired Gore with AP and now I have RB1, RB9, and a five-game win streak to show for it. :moneybag: Anyways, that's hardly a defense, Gore is the highest-profile player on the team by far, how could "draft 49ERS at your own risk" mean anything but "pass on Gore in the 2nd".

yeah i hate having the #10 TE and #7 RB

oh and the Kicker is #5

and Def #3

But to be fair, QB Smith is #21 and Crabtree is #69 WR, but would anyone draft either of them in any case?

Well, Justin Smith is the #12 DE in my league, Bowman is #4 LB, Willis is #7 LB, Aldon Smith is the #10 LB in the past 5 weeks since he started getting significant time. Even Dashon Goldston is the #25 DB (#16 Safety).Heck, you just drafted on the wrong side of the ball there, Chief! Looks like quite a few draft values to me. :)
His original post said 'this team will not score many points'.... he did not say anything about IDP leagues or how high ranked their defense would be. Regardless, they are doing better then anyone thought would happen, and as fantasy players they aren't doing that great. Gore's had a good season, but fantasy wise Davis, Crabtree, Smith are all having sub par seasons, so its not like his prediction to avoid drafting offensive 49er players was really that wrong at all, even though they are 6-1.

yeah i hate having the #10 TE and #7 RBoh and the Kicker is #5and Def #3But to be fair, QB Smith is #21 and Crabtree is #69 WR, but would anyone draft either of them in any case?
You're counting a team defense and a kicker in that? I see your point about the RB, gore has played better then his original ranking. Yes Davis is the #10 TE, but that is dissappointing for him...he was projected much higher.

His original post said 'this team will not score many points'.... he did not say anything about IDP leagues or how high ranked their defense would be. Regardless, they are doing better then anyone thought would happen, and as fantasy players they aren't doing that great. Gore's had a good season, but fantasy wise Davis, Crabtree, Smith are all having sub par seasons, so its not like his prediction to avoid drafting offensive 49er players was really that wrong at all, even though they are 6-1.
clearly he was talking about gore and davis, if you take those two guys out of the equation then this thread is just :deadhorse:

clearly he was talking about gore and davis, if you take those two guys out of the equation then this thread is just :deadhorse:
Ya I think he was talking about the guys who could be drafted in leagues: Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Edwards, Smith were all likely drafted in some leagues. So far only Gore has lived up to expectations fantasy wise.

Ya I think he was talking about the guys who could be drafted in leagues: Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Edwards, Smith were all likely drafted in some leagues. So far only Gore has lived up to expectations fantasy wise.
still have most of our NFC west matchups coming up which are nice. WRs missed a little time, and didnt have particularly high ADPs to begin with, but ya with the conservative calls from Harbaugh and Alice still at QB, won't expect big numbers for the WRs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread