What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Dominator cost me the championship already. (1 Viewer)

captbly

Footballguy
Well its not really DDs fault (yeah ultimately its mine), but its actually FBGs fault that they dont do anything regarding KR/PR stats. Bad thing is DD is such a great program that I have learned to rely on it a lot during the draft. Because of this I totally zoned on the scoring for this particular draft having points for KR/PR yards tonight. Being in 1/2 dozen leagues I just set them all up in DD and go. This is nice so you dont have to remember all the scoring details for each league. Well you do have to rember any scoring with KR/PR so make sure you dont forget like I did.

Yeah i know that tracking these stats ads more work for the FBG staff, but if you want to truly be the best in FF you need get on board regarding KR/PR. I have seen several people request it and no good answer yet as to why you guys dont.

Is this something you will ever do? or have you just written it off as not worth the effort for the amount of people that use it? I think the actual number of people that would use it would suprise you.

Honestly, is that going to be the difference in winning or losing your league? I'm curious how big of a difference in projections it would make. Good thing to ponder..........

I think 2 major things are in play here.

1. A lot of returning battles aren't even decided in camp. I'm sure you would be upset if FBG did project XXX amount of return yards and the guy ended up not even having the job.

2. I think return yards are hard to project at all. Free agent acquisitions and rookies impact defenses in ways not expected. Guys have career years and tear off a bunch of td's. Or teams just under/over perform based on injuries. There are a lot of factors affecting how many returns a guy is going to get.

I wish this information was out there too, but I don't think it's because they ignore them. It's probably just not even worth trying to tie down right now. At least there are threads, depth charts, and articles discussing this stuff.

With that said, what kind of scoring are you in that return yards are a severe week-to-week difference maker? Generally, we are talking about IDP guys, maybe WR3 types, or backup RB's being the main returners. You might have an Eddie Royal with double duty, and draft him over a guy like Kenny Britt, but are you really taking him over Ochocinco because of a few punt returns? I just can't see how this cost you a championship....

Did you send the owners an email or PM before starting this thread? Do you realize that they will give you a 100% refund?

Honestly, is that going to be the difference in winning or losing your league? I'm curious how big of a difference in projections it would make. Good thing to ponder..........
I have one league that gives individual players kick/punt return points. I normally scan the depth charts and note the returners and then go modify the rushing stats for those players, adding touchdowns that will equal the amount of fantasy points they put up. Forgot to this year until 16th round when I was looking at Cribbs and suddenly remembered.With .5 PPR Cribbs is projected at 90 FP right now. Assuming he does similar to last year, adding in 2000 combined return yards and 4 TDs. At even the modest 1/35 return yardage we give, that's 81 fantasy points... enough to almost double his projection and move him up from WR69 to around WR17.Looking at the rest of my team, I saw that Knox is also likely to get kick return yards. Again using last year as a guide, that's 900 kick return yards and a TD, or another 31 fantasy points, enough to move him from WR 29 to WR14.So if you account for such things, guys who were 10th and 16th round picks are really anywhere from 4th to 7th round values depending on league settings. This year there aren't many IDP starters returning kicks, but it can make a big difference there too.I do wish FBGs would include kick return stats. I don't have a big problem with adding them in myself if I could do it just one time. But every time you update projections they get lost and you have to go do it again. It gets more than a bit annoying after awhile when you have slow drafts that stretch over a week or more and you're updating projections daily.

Agree that this would be nice to have in Draft Dominator. I think all of my leagues include return yardage points (some more modest scoring than others). I realize there are competitions going on for KR/PR positions, but that goes for just every other position too, so I don't see why PR/KR are different.

Honestly, I think that stat would be so hard to predict.

I think you just need to use your head and give a player who may do some kick or punt returning a little (or big) bump depending on your scoring system.

We really are only talking about a handful of guys unless your league actually has a spot for a full time return guy.

I think it's more your league's fault in scoring KR/PR high enough to make you lose your league than DD's fault for not implementing it. :P

While it would be nice to have the KR/PR in the draft dominator, I would much rather see them get the IDP positions separated out. Projections already have them separated so I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get them separated in DD.

While it would be nice to have the KR/PR in the draft dominator, I would much rather see them get the IDP positions separated out. Projections already have them separated so I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get them separated in DD.
I agree this is also something else that would be good to get done.

I'm in a 14 teamer that awards 1 point per 15 return yards and it's non-ppr. That's a huge difference in stats. I know, I hate the league stat system but it's not my league and I have voiced my opinion. In this scoring system andre johnson got outscore by desean jackson last year. That is a big deal, you wouldn't draft a WR early in this draft ur better off just waiting for some scrub who happens to return kicks.

Couldn't use DD for the two problems mentioned...KR/PR and IDP rankings. Both seem like easy fixes. If I input the KR/PR projections myself, I should be able to use those in my rankings..it would be a temporary fix until FBG's start projecting them too.

captbly said:
Well its not really DDs fault (yeah ultimately its mine), but its actually FBGs fault that they dont do anything regarding KR/PR stats. Bad thing is DD is such a great program that I have learned to rely on it a lot during the draft. Because of this I totally zoned on the scoring for this particular draft having points for KR/PR yards tonight. Being in 1/2 dozen leagues I just set them all up in DD and go. This is nice so you dont have to remember all the scoring details for each league. Well you do have to rember any scoring with KR/PR so make sure you dont forget like I did.

Yeah i know that tracking these stats ads more work for the FBG staff, but if you want to truly be the best in FF you need get on board regarding KR/PR. I have seen several people request it and no good answer yet as to why you guys dont.

Is this something you will ever do? or have you just written it off as not worth the effort for the amount of people that use it? I think the actual number of people that would use it would suprise you.
I'm floating in the same boat here.. I'm in 3 leagues this season.. and 2 are giving high points for PR/KR. Is this a new "trend" in FF? In my league that drafts tonight, KR/PR get 1 point per 10 return yards. That makes a guy like Josh Cribbs go from obscurity to the # 1-4 WR in our league. Guys like Sproles, Harvin & Amendola are way high too.. and if they keep the job all season, should out-score the Johnson's & Moss.. Fitz too.

My problem is the same that everyone has.. figuring out who's going to keep both KR/PR spot.. who's going to be sharing the job, and what rookie is going to land it on week 2 that no one's even thought about. I get why they don't put it into Draft Dominator.. frankly even 2 - 3 weeks into Pre-Season there just isn't enough solid info out there to make a good educated opinion.

But, that sure doesn't help me for my draft tonight.. so instead I'll just cuss out the commish for his stupid scoring system instead. :yes:

I did find this earlier if it helps anyone.. ya still have to manually add it though which sucks (and the whole point of this thread I suppose): http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...010.html?cat=14

Last edited by a moderator:
is there anyone other than cribbs in a non-idp league that this will matter for? Is sproles done returning yet?

Is Spiller really doing any returning? If not now, potentially when Lynch/Jackson are back? He could be an absolute monster. And what about Brandon Tate? Is he doing any returning? Maybe this isn't really the thread for these questions, sorry, but since someone asked who return yards would make a difference for, those were two that immediately jumped to mind.

is there anyone other than cribbs in a non-idp league that this will matter for? Is sproles done returning yet?
As I said earlier, Knox put up over 900 return yards and a TD last year. If he does the same this year, in a league that has a fairly conservative 1/35 return yardage, that's enough to move him from WR29 to WR14.This year it seems there are fewer kickoff returners amongst starting players than most years. But yes, there are other players out there who will make a difference on.

As I said earlier, Knox put up over 900 return yards and a TD last year. If he does the same this year, in a league that has a fairly conservative 1/35 return yardage, that's enough to move him from WR29 to WR14.This year it seems there are fewer kickoff returners amongst starting players than most years. But yes, there are other players out there who will make a difference on.
Knox will be lucky to get 1/2 those return yards this year. They'll limit his return duties as his role expands....but then again, his competition, Daniel Manning, is a starting DB as well.

captbly said:
Well its not really DDs fault (yeah ultimately its mine), but its actually FBGs fault that they dont do anything regarding KR/PR stats. Bad thing is DD is such a great program that I have learned to rely on it a lot during the draft. Because of this I totally zoned on the scoring for this particular draft having points for KR/PR yards tonight. Being in 1/2 dozen leagues I just set them all up in DD and go. This is nice so you dont have to remember all the scoring details for each league. Well you do have to rember any scoring with KR/PR so make sure you dont forget like I did.Yeah i know that tracking these stats ads more work for the FBG staff, but if you want to truly be the best in FF you need get on board regarding KR/PR. I have seen several people request it and no good answer yet as to why you guys dont.Is this something you will ever do? or have you just written it off as not worth the effort for the amount of people that use it? I think the actual number of people that would use it would suprise you.
what a terrible subject line here...is that the best you could come up with to get your point across here? OF COURSE this was your own fault! Come on dude don't be so dam lazy you will never get any good at this hobby if you need the DD to do all your work! The DD is a great TOOL to help track a draft its not the end all be all for FF drafting. If you are in a draft and kick/punt returners are involved and important then you need to be aware of that and act accordingly...i give a big BOOOO to this post esp the subject line...dam i could never have a blog or board like this because i could not help myself but to delete such terrible posts as this. Just say it would be great if FBG included more punt and kick returners numbers in the draft guide. I know this Ive played in hundreds of FF leagues over the years now and still have yet to play in a league using returns for league scoring. Most FF sites are tailored to the masses and i don't know what the percentage is of leagues using returns yardage for scoring but it can't be higher than 10%. I am sure Returners are covered here and i bet pretty well. If you took the time to check it out maybe you would not be blaming the DD for your problem.

I just can't see playing in a league where the Josh Cribbs' of the world are a top 5 WR.

It's simply too hard a stat to project for, and there's a good reason that the vast majority of leagues don't use individual scoring for returns.

Or you could just use it as another tool in which to ultimately make your final decision instead of your end all be all. Make your own decisions, it's not that hard.

Warrior said:
If I input the KR/PR projections myself, I should be able to use those in my rankings..it would be a temporary fix until FBG's start projecting them too.
If you do your own projections, it's not difficult to get the current DD to do the hard calculating work for you. I did this in the past, I was in a league where sacks counted against a QB (-1 IIRC). FBG does not project sacks, but, what I did was just plug in the average # of sacks each of the starting QBs had the last few years. Then I changed the FBG projections for a stat category I wasn't using (like, pass attempts or something) to all zeros (just changed the column in excel) except for the 32 guys I had projections for, for them I plugged in my own number. For example, where the projections used to say "Peyton Manning, QB, IND, 4500 yards, 30 TDs, 500 pass attempts" it was changed to "Peyton Manning, QB, IND, 4500 yards, 30 TDs, 15 pass attempts", because I figured he might take 15 sacks.Then in Setup, I scored "pass attempts" at -1. Didn't affect anyone except the 32 starting QBs I projected, who were all dinged the correct amount of points.FBG used to take suggestions, for several years I kept telling Bruce to add a "User-Defined" stat category (or categories, easy to make 1-5 of them) to DD, but apparently it fell on deaf ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you have taken the time to go in and adjust the returners you were targeting to add fantasy points? I mean if Cribbs is getting an extra 81 points than just go in and add 810 yards to his total. I don't think there was a year I used DD that I went straight with projection from this site alone. I was always messing with numbers some.

Or you could just use it as another tool in which to ultimately make your final decision instead of your end all be all. Make your own decisions, it's not that hard.
:goodposting: Seriously it's YOUR team, The fun of the draft is matching wits with others to see who has it and who doesn't. If you use the DD to draft your team you will NEVER win a championship, it wasn't you it was some computer program that won the league.

Couldn't you have taken the time to go in and adjust the returners you were targeting to add fantasy points? I mean if Cribbs is getting an extra 81 points than just go in and add 810 yards to his total. I don't think there was a year I used DD that I went straight with projection from this site alone. I was always messing with numbers some.
I did that once and then they got wiped on a update. Seems to me it wouldnt be that difficult to just put another toggle switch in DD that says count return yards... and put a return yards field in there that we fill out.. if they dont have any stats for that, then it shouldnt update those fields. This isnt my first rodeo, been using it since 2003. FBGs have always done a good job of keeping up the times, but I see them falling behind here. Up until 3 years ago, none of my leagues had Return yards. This year my keeper league voted in. Do I like it? well not in this situation, but thats life.

:lmao: Seriously it's YOUR team, The fun of the draft is matching wits with others to see who has it and who doesn't. If you use the DD to draft your team you will NEVER win a championship, it wasn't you it was some computer program that won the league.
DD is a cheatsheet and everyone that drafts use cheats. I dont leave the room and let DD take my turn picking for me. Often my pick isnt even what DD recommends, but it is great at showing you the players left out there and where they are ranked and such. I said that it was ultimately my fault that this happened (if you read my whole post) and was reminding others (looks like I wasnt the only one so far). If you dont use DD when your drafting, then your not really getting the full use of it.

bro, it's not that hard to determine KR/PR stats

the only worthwhile KR/PR starters are ones who are involved in the game already. You're basically limited to Percy Harvin and Reggie Bush.

Someone like Josh Cribbs isn't a viable starter week in and week out solely based on PR at WR because he's so inconsistent.

Why not just project your own KR/PRyards and KR/PRTD and add them to the WR's stats as necessary? If different yardage scoring, do the math to make them wash out.

dagwood said:
Honestly, I think that stat would be so hard to predict.

I think you just need to use your head and give a player who may do some kick or punt returning a little (or big) bump depending on your scoring system.

We really are only talking about a handful of guys unless your league actually has a spot for a full time return guy.
I'm a little bit surprised that this board is acting like this about return yardage. It's a very real advantage that makes a difference every week whether you are playing in a H2H league, total points or all-play format. Who here thinks it isn't important to adjust your projections or rankings when a short-yardage/GL type RB signs with your small-framed RB1's team? TD's are hard to predict, aren't they? So saying that a stat is hard to predict doesn't exactly change my position on it. Is it more work, yes. No question. But it isn't any different than the work that already goes into every single player's projections. It's always a constant state of reevealuation. Who was added that might eat into this player's touches? How many more scores will his team's D allow this season? FBG does projections for team D's and Kickers, right? Yet those same considerations which drive those projections are the same one's that would drive a KR/PR projections.The point is that DD is the best thing going but it isn't perfect. It would be nice to see it evolve some to reflect changes in the game. It has IDP, but it lists CB's and S's as DB's. Sure, I can go through and hand note each player as a CB or S. I could also do the same thing if all offensive players where listed as OP's. Since the platform obviously has the capability to separate out positions in detail and to allow a user to alter or input his own projections, it would be nice to see the platform opened up some.

I just can't see playing in a league where the Josh Cribbs' of the world are a top 5 WR.

It's simply too hard a stat to project for, and there's a good reason that the vast majority of leagues don't use individual scoring for returns.
"To all those teams in the minority using IDP. Comeon you agitators, fall into line. Sure the majority of leagues used to be TD only. Sure PPR used to be a wacky side-league option. Sure it was once thought ridiculous to start two QB's. Sure we used to award points for 100 yards rushing but none for 99 yards rushing. But things are different now. We've now got it just right and there is no need for further development.Copernicus, quit tinkering with that telescope!"

Is there anyway to set the draft dominator to not take defenses and kickers before round 'X' when using the 'my team mock'?

Well its not really DDs fault (yeah ultimately its mine), but its actually FBGs fault that they dont do anything regarding KR/PR stats. Bad thing is DD is such a great program that I have learned to rely on it a lot during the draft. Because of this I totally zoned on the scoring for this particular draft having points for KR/PR yards tonight. Being in 1/2 dozen leagues I just set them all up in DD and go. This is nice so you dont have to remember all the scoring details for each league. Well you do have to rember any scoring with KR/PR so make sure you dont forget like I did.Yeah i know that tracking these stats ads more work for the FBG staff, but if you want to truly be the best in FF you need get on board regarding KR/PR. I have seen several people request it and no good answer yet as to why you guys dont.Is this something you will ever do? or have you just written it off as not worth the effort for the amount of people that use it? I think the actual number of people that would use it would suprise you.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:Yeah, blame it on Joe and Dave. Maybe if you knew how to jailbreak the dominator this wouldn't be an issue. You ain't got the right attitude for this sport, chief. Season's weeks away and you're throwing in the towel already :yes: It's guys like you who keep this sport profitable. Might want to stop by the Hawk's Nest some time.PM sent

Yenrub said:
Is there anyway to set the draft dominator to not take defenses and kickers before round 'X' when using the 'my team mock'?
There's a way to set it to wait until X pks/defs are off the board before recommending one, but I don't think there's one for rounds.

1. Don't agree with you blaming DD. You should be using your own draft skills anyway, but that's a different issue altogether.

2. Agree with KR/PR being overlooked being quite relevant. It's not so much the Josh Cribbs types as much as it is the Deshaun Jacksons, Percy Harvins, and Darren Sproles... i.e. players who would be nothing more than backups or flex but suddenly become very viable fantasy starters. This of course depends on how much returns stats are worth. In my leagues we reward return yards half as much rushing/receiving yards and it seems to be a nice balance.

3. Watch out for guys whose role changes in the regular offense like Knox. It may spell the end for return duties. Saw that same thing happen with Mo Drew and Welker. It's not a perfect offset, but the loss returns is an offset.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:Yeah, blame it on Joe and Dave. Maybe if you knew how to jailbreak the dominator this wouldn't be an issue. You ain't got the right attitude for this sport, chief. Season's weeks away and you're throwing in the towel already :rant: It's guys like you who keep this sport profitable. Might want to stop by the Hawk's Nest some time.PM sent
This made my nipples hard.

Users who are viewing this thread