What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft order? (1 Viewer)

RabidSniper4

Footballguy
I run a redraft league with a few friends. Do any of you have interesting ways on determining draft order? I am looking for a new way. Getting sick of pulling numbers out of a hat. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

I run a redraft league with a few friends. Do any of you have interesting ways on determining draft order? I am looking for a new way. Getting sick of pulling numbers out of a hat. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
This sounds unusual, but I've played in leagues where the better you finish, the better your draft spot. It discourages tanking, keeps everyone playing to get a couple extra wins and eliminates any incentive to coast at the end. You could put the champ at the back if you think it's too much to give the winner the best pick, but you'll be rewarding teams for playing hard, not tanking.

Say you have a 10 team league

1) Put the 10 teams names in an envelope.

Hand out the envelopes and have the first person write a number between 1 and 10 on the envelope. The next person writes a number on their envelope, except for the number the first person wrote. These numbers are the drafting order. It just makes it more fun

2) Pick cards out of a hat. The person that draws number 1 gets first pick on WHERE they want to draft. They might take #1 or #10 or #3, etc...The person who draws number 2 gets second choice...

Since it's redraft, I wouldn't want prior year finish to affect current year draft order. That's just my own preference, but I guess I could see the tanking deterrent angle.

I guess my answer to RabidSniper would depend on whether you still want the draft positions to be determined randomly or whether you'd want to do something to qualify for spots based on some level of skill. You could introduce some sort of pre-draft contest or game in either case, if the guys in the league think it would be fun and are in agreement. Something that would be good for some laughs.

Use the dice server and have everyone roll. Have them include the commish's email on the page and have the commish sent his to a neutral party.

Use the dice server and have everyone roll. Have them include the commish's email on the page and have the commish sent his to a neutral party.
That works very well for online leagues, but I got the impression the OP was talking about local friends drafting together in a room.
we always pre-select the draft order before draft day. Who here sets the order right before draft time? I'd like to hear feedback on this.

That works very well for online leagues, but I got the impression the OP was talking about local friends drafting together in a room.
we always pre-select the draft order before draft day. Who here sets the order right before draft time? I'd like to hear feedback on this.
In my long-time local league we always get together some time during the two weeks prior to the draft at a restaurant and load up on food and beer and draw names out of a hat. We used to just determine the order at the draft but haven't done it that way for many years. Guys like showing up at the draft already knowing their order so they can better plan draft strategy.

I do like the team names in envelopes and everyone number them respectively.

We always determine the draft order right before the draft that way no one can come back and say it was slighted. Also it doesn't give you time to think about you will draft.

We thought about doing a beer pong tournament to determine draft order, however probably would have to do this before hand :D

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Answer and a question...

A) I'm a big fan of establishing order early (around now) for redrafts... and having a couple months to strategize from my spot... it kind of separates the men from the boys a bit... or I should say the cool guys who dont care vs geeky me who does 5,000 mocks from my draft spot...

Q) I actually just logged on to make a post to ask the following question, and saw this thread and figured I'd piggyback... My League Owners are all over the country... at my OffSeason meeting this Sunday night, we'll be among other things, establishng draft order... I'm trying to figure out a way to do this while I'm home by myself and my wife, so that nobody would worry I'm cheating. I usually lay cards on a table and flip them for each owners pick... but thats usually with a few other Owners there... is there an online communal dice rolling tool or something?

anybody have any suggestions? It doesnt seem like that dice link above lets you all view the roll at once from remote computers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Answer and a question...A) I'm a big fan of establishing order early (around now) for redrafts... and having a couple months to strategize from my spot... it kind of separates the men from the boys a bit... or I should say the cool guys who dont care vs geeky me who does 5,000 mocks from my draft spot... Q) I actually just logged on to make a post to ask the following question, and saw this thread and figured I'd piggyback... My League Owners are all over the country... at my OffSeason meeting this Sunday night, we'll be among other things, establishng draft order... I'm trying to figure out a way to do this while I'm home by myself and my wife, so that nobody would worry I'm cheating. I usually lay cards on a table and flip them for each owners pick... but thats usually with a few other Owners there... is there an online communal dice rolling tool or something?anybody have any suggestions? It doesnt seem like that dice link above lets you all view the roll at once from remote computers...
The dice server linked above sends the email to the person rolling and also to the commissioner. The commish designates another owner to have his result sent to. That ought to satisfy owners that all is on the up and up. I wouldn't recommend you and your wife doing this. No matter how honest you are, you are setting yourself up for suspicion and you don't want that. Especially if you end up with #1. Not a good idea. Use the dice.

Exactly my thoughts... and what I want to avoid... I may be being a bit thick here, but I still dont quite get it. (sorry) Do I roll 12 different times (once for each owner) and have the result sent to me and that owner each time? Or does everyone log on individually and do a roll? What if two guys roll the same number? Not sure how to set the parameters on the site there...

Again sorry to ask again, but this sounds like exactly what I need, I just need to get my head around it...

Exactly my thoughts... and what I want to avoid... I may be being a bit thick here, but I still dont quite get it. (sorry) Do I roll 12 different times (once for each owner) and have the result sent to me and that owner each time? Or does everyone log on individually and do a roll? What if two guys roll the same number? Not sure how to set the parameters on the site there...

Again sorry to ask again, but this sounds like exactly what I need, I just need to get my head around it...
The commish goes in and sets it up and each owner does his own dice roll. It's been awhile since I've used it, but you may be able to add a number of email addresses to the distribution for each roll. Also, you set the multi-sided dice parameters, so a roll may be 976 or 312 or whatever and ties are a very unlikely occurrence. This irony dice server is in pretty common usage for fantasy leagues. If you have questions after looking around, both ravnzfan and jeter23 (FBG posters) are commissioners in leagues I'm in who have used it, and I'm sure either would be willing to answer more specific questions about set up or options.I'd check it out. You don't want some league mate trying to sleep with your wife for a better draft slot. :goodposting:

Here's that link again.

http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html

one local league I am in does this, 15 min before the draft starts, everyone likes it, pick a card out of the trophy, adds to the "drama" of draft day I guess :censored:

I use a random generator. I agree I like to know the order early. In the league I commish with a bunch of board members we've had the order for a few weeks already from the tool linked above. It's fair. It emails everyone the order so there can be no cheating. No reason why this cannot be used for a live local league.

One season I ran the randomizer and used that order to allow owners to pick their spot. So #1 in the random order took draft slot #3, and #2 in the randomizer then chose #1 overall, and #3 took the 5 spot for whatever reason, etc. It's an entertaining method and the discussion developed into some pick trading.

http://www.ffauthority.com/modules/ff/lotto.php
This last one is exactly what I am looking for, thanks a bunch.
Looks like the Irony Dice Server is cooked anyways, it wouldn't work for me this year. This Draft Lotto one is even better though. Set it to 12 team and 1 round, normal odds. It gives a random order for your redrafts and you can e-mail everyone real-time, nice! Even has a 'verify' web page that gets archived.

i put everyone's name ona piece of paper, put each piece of paper into a plastic easter egg and have my son pick eggs.... in the last two drafts, i've gotten the #2 pick in 2006 and the #1 pick in 2007.

League that I have played in since 90 we go with last years record and snake. We use to do just the first round based on the last years record and cards were selected a month before to get the rest of the draft set up.

I agree the draft should be set up a month prior so you can research what you might get with your picks. Playing with the same guys for so long you know some of the tendencies when it comes to drafting. I know which owners wait for certain spots and some other little things.

Yet another glowing example of why auction draft blow away the "snake" drafts. You can have any player you want...just not every player you want.

In one of my re draft leagues we play a fast game of hold em right before the draft, blinds double every 5 minutes, you get to choose your draft pick depending on where you place, and with 5 min blinds and a relatively small starting chip stack it always ends up being more about luck than how good of a poker player you are but it's more fun. I suppose if you wanted it to be a little more hard core you could do a poker game ahead of time with normal chip stacks and blind times but it's hard enough to find one day that works for all 12 people so 2 would be nearly impossible.

My local uses a draft lottery ping pong ball system much like the NBA draft. Everyone that wasn't in the playoffs the previous year has a shot at the #1 pick. The better you perform at the end of the previous year, to more balls you get. This has discouraged tanking a great deal, while still affording weaker teams the draft opportunity to strengthen up.

In my opinion, not only should you set the draft order in advance of the draft, you should also set the schedule. As the commish I don't want any suggestion that the schedule had any thing whatsoever to do with various players bye weeks or any other factor that could influence the outcome.

What I do is use a schedule template of this variety; Week 1: Team 1 Vs. Team 5; Team 2 Vs. Team 6, etc..., and I do that for the whole season, with the Divisions setup like:

Div 1

------

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3.

Div 2

------

Team 6

Team 7

Then I use the ProFantasySports random draft order generator for 1 round. The order for the first round from 1 to 10 translates to Team 1 to Team 10. You now have both your draft order and schedule.

Here's and idea I got from here. Take X number of everyday objects and assign them each a draft slot. Tell everyone to choose their object and you take whatever is left. It's a lot of fun to watch your league try to guess what you were thinking and makes for a nice way to mix it up.

Assuming this is for a serpentine draft, the biggest thing I'd suggest is that you not determine draft order, but instead determine the order in which owners will select their draft position. That is, you come up with your list of teams 1 to 12. Team #1 then gets to choose his draft spot. He could take the #1 or if he feels that LT and AP are equal he may take #2 to get the earlier 2nd round pick.

My keeper league does this and people's pick preference definitely does not just go in order from 1 to 12. It's a good chance to add a bit more strategy into your league.

As for determining the order of selection, you could do it random. If you'd like something tied to last year's results but that encourages teams to win, here's a system I use in my dynasty league. It may seem complicated at first read, but walk through it once and it's very simple.

The 6 championship bracket teams (3 div winners and 3 widlcards) go at the end of the list. It isn't a straight worst to first, because doing so would give the teams in the 3rd and 5th place game incentive to tank. So it goes:

12th: SB winner

11th: SB runnerup

10th: 4th place (e.g. loser of 3rd place consolation game)

9th: 3rd place (e.g. winner of 3rd place consolation game)

8th: 6th place (e.g. loser of 5th place consolation game)

7th: 5th place (e.g. winner of 5th place consolation game)

For spots 1 to 6 we use a system that gives priority to teams who did worse in the regular season, but doing well in the consolation bracket is also a necessity. We have a point system (not gametime points) used to rank the teams based on regular season finish and playoff finish. It is weighted more towards the regular season. The team with the most points gets the first selection, etc. Tiebreak goes to the worst regular season finish.

Points are as follows: For regular season, you get points equal to 2 times your seeding in the consolation bracket. So, the bottom 6 teams are in the bracket... if you are the worst regular season team you're seeded 6th and get 12 points. If you were the best regular season team to not make the champ bracket, you are 1st seed and get 2 points.

For consolation playoff results, we give: Consolation winner: 8 points. Runner up: 6. 3rd place: 4. 4th place: 2. 5th place: 1. 6th place: 0.

Add up these playoff points and the regular season points and whoever has the most gets the top slot, with ties going to the worst regular season team. The worst team in the league cannot end up with worse than the 4th pick, and so far in our leagues has still always picked in the top 2. Doing well or poorly in the playoffs can generally cause a 3 spot movement in the draft order, which I think is enough to be worth trying for.

I am the commish of a 12 team league. Only the three division winners and the next three best records (6 teams total) make the playoffs. The teams that do not make the playoffs are playing for position in the next years draft. Therefore, the winner of the "loser's bracket" as we call it gets the 1st overall pick in the following years draft. The runner-up of the loser's bracket gets the second pick. I set it up this way so that everyone has a reason to keep following the league until week 16. Our order goes as follows:

12- Super bowl winner

11- Super bowl runner up

10- Highest ranked team to lose in the final four

9- Other team that loses in the final four

8- Highest ranked team to lose in the first round of playoffs

7- Other team that loses in the first round of playoffs.

6- Other team team that loses in first found of loser playoffs.

5- Highest ranked player to lose in first round of loser playoffs

4- Other team that loses in final four of losers

3-Highest ranked team to lose in final four of losers

2-Loser bracket runner-up

1- Loser bracket winner

This way everyone is motivated to keep playing and following the league and everyone knows their pick in the following draft the day after the league finishes.

Based off of last year's standing, but do it in REVERSE order for all NON-PLAYOFF teams.

1) #5 team

2) #6 team

3) #7 team

4) #8 team

5) #9 team

6) #10 team

----

7) 4th place

8) 3rd place

9) 2nd place

10) Champion

The commish goes in and sets it up and each owner does his own dice roll. It's been awhile since I've used it, but you may be able to add a number of email addresses to the distribution for each roll. Also, you set the multi-sided dice parameters, so a roll may be 976 or 312 or whatever and ties are a very unlikely occurrence. This irony dice server is in pretty common usage for fantasy leagues. If you have questions after looking around, both ravnzfan and jeter23 (FBG posters) are commissioners in leagues I'm in who have used it, and I'm sure either would be willing to answer more specific questions about set up or options.I'd check it out. You don't want some league mate trying to sleep with your wife for a better draft slot. :link:

Here's that link again.

http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html
this one doesn't seem to be working, is there another dice rolling site?

Thanks for all the suggestions, we just had our draft this past weekend. We used the team names in envelopes concept, where each owner picks a envelope and then writes a number on it 1-12.

Worked really well. The other owners enjoyed it. They thought it was like the NBA lottery when I started at the 12th pick and worked up to the first pick. Thanks

We do a 12-team keeper league. Top 6 teams get a random draft spot in seeds 7 through 12 and bottom 6 teams get seeds 1 through 6 randomized. Random order is done at the local bar a month before the draft with 4 other owners. Works for us! =)

Users who are viewing this thread