What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting a 2nd QB early...to trade later (1 Viewer)

hotdogcollars

Footballguy
I did this once in a league a number of years back and it worked out well (don't remember the details). Given the depth of Tier 2 QBs this year (mcnabb, brady, bulger, kitna, rivers etc...) and the dropoff, IMO, between tier 2 and 3, i am seriously considering drafting a 2nd QB early (like before rd 7) simply to use as trade bait.

My logic is that a QB that i can take in Rd 5,6,7 is going to have more value (most times) than any RB or WR at that spot. Combined with the fact that there are always a couple teams that wait too long for a QB, and i think you set yourself up to trade for a RB or WR that was drafted in rds 3 or 4. After the trade, you effectively get a guy who you never could've had in rd 5,6,7 simply due to the fact that your trade partner is panicked about their QB situation.

Of course it depends on targeting the correct QB and also you're ability to pull off a trade within the first few weeks of the season. Thoughts?

Requires the right QB and right league.

In 12 team leagues, barring injury, you aren't going to get much for a QB unless it's Peyton or Palmer.

My logic is that a QB that i can take in Rd 5,6,7 is going to have more value (most times) than any RB or WR at that spot. Combined with the fact that there are always a couple teams that wait too long for a QB, and i think you set yourself up to trade for a RB or WR that was drafted in rds 3 or 4. After the trade, you effectively get a guy who you never could've had in rd 5,6,7 simply due to the fact that your trade partner is panicked about their QB situation.
The flaw here is that the QB you take in 5/6/7 has only a marginal chance of being better than whatever QB gets taken in 8/9/10.

I've had teams in my main league try this a few times over the past couple seasons.

One of two things usually happens:

1) only 1 of the QBs really pans out, the other underperforms projections & becomes a high priced (5th/6th round) fantasy backup because nobody will offer anything of use.

2) Both QBs end up good, but there is only 1 team in the league looking to trade for a QB. So knowing that they are the only potential buyer, they won't overpay & you can only get a WR3 type player in return. So you'll essentially get the player you should've drafted in that 6th round anyway.

The only way you'd really benefit from this is if you have multiple teams w/ QB problems bidding on 1 of your QBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is bad, you just have to be careful and grab a QB that is popular and trade him BEFORE he performs. If you take that gamble and grab a 2nd QB to trade and he flops on his head, you are out a pretty good RB/WR that you could have chosen in that round you picked your QB in. Do this with caution. Also....make sure your league does trades, if I tried to do this in my league I don't think it would work as hardly anyone trades in my league.

Users who are viewing this thread