What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting Monopoly! (1 Viewer)

3quinox

Footballguy
I am in a 12 person league and my friend is the commissioner. We are in a standard two person keeper league. His two players he kept were Adrian Foster and Lesean Moccoy. He won the fantasy bowl as he is a really good drafter and all of us weren't that good or familiar with fantasy yet. I just got a call that he traded Lesean Mccoy to another one of my friends for his right to keep a player. This means My friend (commissioner) is going to get Adrian Foster will keep his wide reciever Victor Cruz and now also gets the ability to have another keeper, making a total of yes folks you got it, three players! on top of this he also gets two 5th round draft picks and two 10th round drafts picks. it gets better. The players he has the option to go for are Megatron, Adrian peterson, Run DMC, Cam Newton, or Ray Rice. Apparently he cleared this with the league and everyone thought this was fair. I however am hysterical. Is this fair, am I overreacting? Or did he just put a monopoly on the draft? Ps they are saying he might now trade his third keeper option for like 2 second round picks. He called me to tell me this, I said this was not fair and he said well I should have drafted better? What the hell!?

Unless this is in the rules then you aren't over-reacting. When I did keeper leagues I did trade players for draft picks to a team with poor keepers, but that usually helped the team I traded with more than myself. The whole trading a keeper spot is nonsense though.

Unless it's specifically stated in the rules that keeper spots are tradeable, it's certainly not fair.

I suggest you check your rules. You'll probably find that it's explicitly stated somewhere that you can trade future draft picks to this or that year (it is in most set of rules I've seen). Then you have a valid argument that since keeper spots aren't mentioned, they're obviously not tradeable

I hope that isn't a money league. One team ending up with 5+ first round players...just lol. Easy money for him if so. I'm jealous.

Can't tell if this is a troll post or not.

I am sorry if it seemed like a troll post, I was just baffled. Having Cam newton, Adrian Foster, Victor cruz secured than have two extra picks seems excessive for Lesean Mccoy. The biggest argument I got was that he is the best player at his position. Which might be true but cam newton got more points so if anything he is upgrading his own spot and getting two picks. I can understand my friend wanting lesean mccoy and he wasn't necessarily trade "screwed" but what about the 10 other teams?

Your simplest solution is to argue on the basis of the written rules for the league and not the emotions of him doing you over or having a better team.

If the rules say each team may keep two players then that is finite. 2 it is. He cannot create keeper "slots" to get around this as he would have more than 2 players.

Do the rules create the term "slot" for the keepers?

Post the relevant rules up here and we will win the debate for you. No problem.

Seems like a you are getting a Candy Stripes bed making on this extra keeper slot draft rule. If you can't get it removed, walk away. Politely walk away if you are not comfortable with addressing it. You are not in a competitive league. Get out. Find one. Make one.

Your simplest solution is to argue on the basis of the written rules for the league and not the emotions of him doing you over or having a better team.

If the rules say each team may keep two players then that is finite. 2 it is. He cannot create keeper "slots" to get around this as he would have more than 2 players.

Do the rules create the term "slot" for the keepers?

Post the relevant rules up here and we will win the debate for you. No problem.
:goodposting: I assume your rules state that each team can keep 2 players. If I understand you correctly this trade would allow him to keep 3 which would be a violation of the rules. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

On another note, I wouldnt let him reverse the trades either. He made the trade without reading the league rules. As a commish this cannot be defended or corrected - he has to live with his side of it.

However, in amongst all this, I would be very surprised if this league is active in 2012 season

On another note, I wouldnt let him reverse the trades either. He made the trade without reading the league rules. As a commish this cannot be defended or corrected - he has to live with his side of it.
All kidding aside, this is true. He can keep only 2 players (regardless as to whatever trade rules he made up on his own) - if he traded for a "keeper", HIS TEAM can still only keep 2. In fact, that is the whole point of having the "keep 2" limit - so good teams can't horde the good players.

Just walk away. Bad leagues aren't worth the aggravation. If the other owners have said they think it's fair, you aren't going to sway them so let them waste their money.

The players he has the option to go for are Megatron, Adrian peterson, Run DMC, Cam Newton, or Ray Rice.
Wow... the teams throwing these guys back into the draft pool must be stacked also... I'd just quit.
I thought those were the guys he had the option to keep. Apparently the other owners were new to fantasy and he killed them in drafting the first year. Certainly the league isn't so bad that they let the champ draft first or let someone with an extra keeper have a 1st round pick?

Total keepers is 24 right? As long as the total players kept doesn't go over that total, I don't see a problem. But the other owner should only get McCoy. If he's giving both his keepers up to get McCoy, that's it for him right?

just get together with your friends and trade all of yuor guys for their keeper picks and assemble a mega team that will crush all opponents so that he cant win and then go over to his house and carve a pumkin on his front porch where the face is actually him looking surprised and then tell him yep i just burned you old school style and then you can take it to the bank brohan style my brother

And how in the world are players like Megatron and Ray Rice not being kept in a 12 team 2 keeper league?! Are you saying that the players on HIS roster that HE has the option of keeping 2 of (possibly 3 after this) are Foster, Ray Rice, Cam, Megatron, Peterson, Run DMC, Cruz, and formerly McCoy?! I'm not following this...

The players he has the option to go for are Megatron, Adrian peterson, Run DMC, Cam Newton, or Ray Rice.
Wow... the teams throwing these guys back into the draft pool must be stacked also... I'd just quit.
I thought those were the guys he had the option to keep. Apparently the other owners were new to fantasy and he killed them in drafting the first year. Certainly the league isn't so bad that they let the champ draft first or let someone with an extra keeper have a 1st round pick?
I would love to see the draft from last year if that were the case. How can one owner get Calvin, Peterson, Rice, McFadden, Foster and McCoy? Who the heck were these other teams drafting instead? If these are the guys who weren't kept, your leaguemates learned nothing last year.

If your rules specifically allow it, then your choices would be get the league to vote to change it, or quit the league.

Otherwise, no one familiar with FF would expect keeper slots to be tradeable unless it was explicitly spelled out in the rules as being allowed. Just like there is no expectation you can trade roster space or weekly starting slots.

"I'll trade you a RB starting lineup spot week 5 for your WR starting lineup spot week 7" wouldn't fly any more than trading keeper slots would. Again, unless the rules specifically allow it.

I am sorry if it seemed like a troll post, I was just baffled. Having Cam newton, Adrian Foster, Victor cruz secured than have two extra picks seems excessive for Lesean Mccoy. The biggest argument I got was that he is the best player at his position. Which might be true but cam newton got more points so if anything he is upgrading his own spot and getting two picks. I can understand my friend wanting lesean mccoy and he wasn't necessarily trade "screwed" but what about the 10 other teams?
Not a troll post at all. Matter of fact I'm glad you posted it. Every year we get questions about people trying to being cheap and rules lawyer with a defense that, "Since there isn't a rule against something it must be allowed". This is a perfect example that some things are generally understood to be part of the game without needing to be stated in the rules. And in such a case, the expectation is that they aren't allowed unless the rules explicitly state otherwise.

I am in a 12 person league and my friend is the commissioner. We are in a standard two person keeper league. His two players he kept were Adrian Foster and Lesean Moccoy. He won the fantasy bowl as he is a really good drafter and all of us weren't that good or familiar with fantasy yet. I just got a call that he traded Lesean Mccoy to another one of my friends for his right to keep a player. This means My friend (commissioner) is going to get Adrian Foster will keep his wide reciever Victor Cruz and now also gets the ability to have another keeper, making a total of yes folks you got it, three players! on top of this he also gets two 5th round draft picks and two 10th round drafts picks. it gets better. The players he has the option to go for are Megatron, Adrian peterson, Run DMC, Cam Newton, or Ray Rice. Apparently he cleared this with the league and everyone thought this was fair. I however am hysterical. Is this fair, am I overreacting? Or did he just put a monopoly on the draft? Ps they are saying he might now trade his third keeper option for like 2 second round picks. He called me to tell me this, I said this was not fair and he said well I should have drafted better? What the hell!?
Why don't you trade your best two players to another owner for his best two players......then you both keep the traded players and 2 additional players to make a grand total of 4 players!! ;)

I have read through the thread up to this point but had to go back to here. So many questions. Dunno what you're calling 'standard' but "Two person keeper" means each team keeps two of their rostered players in my book. In keeper leagues I've seen you can keep fewer than two--but not more. The term "keeper" itself suggests that the choices of players to keep are from their own team and not from castoffs in the pool after other teams have chosen their two. Otherwise they're turning this part of the play into a predraft two round draft. There should be no "option to go for players". Unless there is anything written about trading in the offseason it should be DISallowed--not allowed. It's not a dynasty league.

Okay so there is a new development and I guess he changed his story so this is what is going to happen now. He is giving up Lesean Mccoy for my friends first round draft pick as well as his 5th round and 10 round draft pick. This means he will keep Adrian Foster, Victor Cruz, than also pick a first rounder. (I mentioned all of those names because two of the fantasy members quit so we disbanded their teams and put them all back in the draft. This means if he got a high pick he could get say Cam Newton. Than use his other first round pick to retain his keeper Adrian Foster. He would than Use his second round pick to retain his second keeper Victor Cruz. After this he would draft starting third round normally. I also got a max text from him to all other players in the league. He is now trading people he is not going to keep? Is that standard protocol on fantasy? He said he'd give me Andre Johnson (who he is not keeping) and his 5th and 10 round picks (since he has two of each) for my 3rd, 8th and 9th round pick this year and my 5th next year? We play for a small fee of like 5 dollars and i just like it for fun but it just seems now that since he totally dominated everyone in the very first draft he will always have an advantage? More over I said know but if sum1 accepts that trade he's gonna have 4 picks for a players he isn't going to keep!>

Okay so there is a new development and I guess he changed his story so this is what is going to happen now. He is giving up Lesean Mccoy for my friends first round draft pick as well as his 5th round and 10 round draft pick. This means he will keep Adrian Foster, Victor Cruz, than also pick a first rounder. (I mentioned all of those names because two of the fantasy members quit so we disbanded their teams and put them all back in the draft. This means if he got a high pick he could get say Cam Newton. Than use his other first round pick to retain his keeper Adrian Foster. He would than Use his second round pick to retain his second keeper Victor Cruz. After this he would draft starting third round normally. I also got a max text from him to all other players in the league. He is now trading people he is not going to keep? Is that standard protocol on fantasy? He said he'd give me Andre Johnson (who he is not keeping) and his 5th and 10 round picks (since he has two of each) for my 3rd, 8th and 9th round pick this year and my 5th next year? We play for a small fee of like 5 dollars and i just like it for fun but it just seems now that since he totally dominated everyone in the very first draft he will always have an advantage? More over I said know but if sum1 accepts that trade he's gonna have 4 picks for a players he isn't going to keep!>
Sounds like this guy is dominating a bunch of guppies. If the guy getting McCoy would think about it, he's better off with the 1st, 5th and 10th picks. He should be able to pick up a decent player as a keeper for far less because someone wants to get a pick for a player they can't keep.Also, it sounds like your draft order is random rather than based on last year's record. Bad idea for a keeper league.

o my bad, my computer apparently thinks arian* needs to be spell checked to adrian. Arian Foster*

I'd get out of this league ASAP. This commish sounds like he'd stick you for announcing an Adrian Foster as a draft pick, and it sounds like you'd get abused by saying it.

Did someone say they were giving away fre $100 bills here just for telling you this is fair? OK, I say it is fair. I'll PM you with the info to send the money to my Paypal account.

Fair enough?

Never heard of trading keeper slots. Seems like a bogus trade only allowed by the rest of the league because they aren't familiar with fantasy football. I'd bail if it doesn't get corrected. Life is too short for stupid leagues.

'3quinox said:
There is no way that should be allowed. It means you are trading last year's player for this year's draft picks. Our league has specific rules that state that no trades can happen until keepers are declared. This means that after keepers are declared, teams would only have two keepers to trade, instead of trying to unload players who will not be kept.If this trade goes through, then make a deal with another owner who is not happy about the trade...offer all your players you will not be keeping for their last round draft pick, and then have him do the same back to you. You would both have your two keepers plus 10 players in exchange for a last round pick. No one should be able to stop that trade because they have allowed the trading of draft picks for non-keepers in that McCoy trade.

If you are not required to keep players, but can draft keepers to fill slots before draft,

Then you should make a trade with every owner to get their keeper slots.

Trade all your players for 1st round picks too.

Im confused by the fact that the keeper slot commodity he created and traded has now become a first round pick, and that pick can be used for discards from abondoned franchises. Thats not a keeper, thats a draft pick. Menawhile others are using their picks to select guys they already had on board?

In effect he gets his 2 keepers and first crack at the disbanded franchises? What about the new owners?

If its 2 keepers then surely first 2 rounds can only be players you had on your team the previous season?

What do the rules say about not keeping 2 - do you get an extra 1st or 2nd round draft pick? How do you decide which it would be?

Me thinks your issues with this league are only just starting.

Post a link so we can all see rules etc?

So, he can trade a keeper away for the rights to a keeper to be determined later, and still keep two of his own players?

Isn't the obvious thing for you to trade both of your keepers for rights to other keepers, and still keep two of your own players, giving you four keepers?

Before long the entire league will have done this and your commish will probably have to reverse everything and admit he's a cheater.

'3quinox said:
It's not uncommon for keeper leagues to allow people to trade players they're not keeping for draft picks.That said, he shouldn't be getting a 1st round pick since the guy he's trading with doesn't have a 1st round pick to trade. From your post it sounds like each player you keep costs you a pick at the start of the draft. Someone keeping no one would have 1st and 2nd round picks while someone keeping two players would start in the 3rd round. As such, the guy getting McCoy can't trade his first round pick and then keep McCoy. If he's using his keeper slot, he doesn't have a 1st round pick to give. If he's trading his first round pick then he doesn't have a keeper slot to use.If the guy that your commish is trading with is planning on keeping 2 players, then the earliest pick he has to trade is his 3rd rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread