What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drinking Less...Soda (1 Viewer)

I used to drink a lot (100oz or more on a typical day) of Coke Zero. I quit in September. I now only drink water or unsweetened iced tea (or beer, as an infrequent treat). Even though Coke Zero is calorie free, I've lost about 10lbs without much other lifestyle change.

It took some effort at first, but I don't think it's been that tough overall. I tried a bit of soda a few weeks ago and didn't really seem to enjoy the taste anymore, so there's really no cravings and it's fully engrained as a habit now.

I used to drink a lot (100oz or more on a typical day) of Coke Zero. I quit in September. I now only drink water or unsweetened iced tea (or beer, as an infrequent treat). Even though Coke Zero is calorie free, I've lost about 10lbs without much other lifestyle change.

It took some effort at first, but I don't think it's been that tough overall. I tried a bit of soda a few weeks ago and didn't really seem to enjoy the taste anymore, so there's really no cravings and it's fully engrained as a habit now.
it's funny how soda and candy, really all sugar stuff, has this tendency. I'll assume it's like light-heroin.

I only drink soda when I want the sugar rush - usually during races or hard training sessions. Flat coke on a warm day at mile 20+ in a marathon (or more), is pure bliss.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess tea handles your caffeine?

What's the verdict on the "zero" drinks? We replaced Cokes with Coke Zeros, mainly to cut down on our sugar intake.
Terrible for you. Bad stuff in there.

On another note, these type of threads always amaze me in how unpopular a drink plain water is. I love water.
I can only handle ice cold water on a warm day. It's close to refreshing as iced tea for me. But in the cooler months, can't stand water alone.
This is mind boggling to me.

What's the verdict on the "zero" drinks? We replaced Cokes with Coke Zeros, mainly to cut down on our sugar intake.

On another note, these type of threads always amaze me in how unpopular a drink plain water is. I love water.
I can only handle ice cold water on a warm day. It's close to refreshing as iced tea for me. But in the cooler months, can't stand water alone.
Me too. It's not the tastiest, but I couldn't imagine really drinking anything else after exertion, before bed, etc.

it's funny how soda and candy, really all sugar stuff, has this tendency. I'll assume it's like light-heroin.

I only drink soda when I want the sugar rush - usually during races or hard training sessions. Flat coke on a warm day at mile 20+ in a marathon (or more), is pure bliss.
Interesting. I would think that would upset one's stomach. I could never drink a soda during athletic activity. I think I once drank an entire OG Four Loko during a nine game softball day, but otherwise it's water, coconut water, pedialyte or maybe gatorade for me. Heck, I'd reach for a light beer before a coke.

Of course, I've never run twenty miles plus in a row, either.

A lot of this could depend on how you grew up.

I was a kid in the 70's, and aside from an occasional pitcher of KoolAid in the summer, water was prettymuch it. None of my friends had fridges full of soda or juice/etc.

Fast forward to 93 or so, when I was dating a girl w/ a 5 year old (my first real experience w/ young kids)... I noticed every kid around had a juice box, generally at all times. No kids drank "just" water. I found that really strange, but apparently, it was normal. And today, my nieces and nephews and friends kids all drink juice/etc. It must be flavored in some way, or they won't drink it.

I was a kid in the 70's, and aside from an occasional pitcher of KoolAid in the summer, water was prettymuch it. None of my friends had fridges full of soda or juice/etc.

Fast forward to 93 or so, when I was dating a girl w/ a 5 year old (my first real experience w/ young kids)... I noticed every kid around had a juice box, generally at all times. No kids drank "just" water. I found that really strange, but apparently, it was normal. And today, my nieces and nephews and friends kids all drink juice/etc. It must be flavored in some way, or they won't drink it.
We started just watering down the juice for our kids. As long as it's a different color, they'll drink it. One package of crystal light goes a long way when you add just enough to change the color. It makes it taste awful imo, but my kids love it, so whatever.

We started just watering down the juice for our kids. As long as it's a different color, they'll drink it. One package of crystal light goes a long way when you add just enough to change the color. It makes it taste awful imo, but my kids love it, so whatever.
As a kid way back when we did the same with those packets of kool aid & sugar. Watered down & sour we still drank the kool aid.

I'm Iranian so tea was around 24/7. Caffeine doesn't effect me so I can drink it at night if I like and still sleep. I don't hate water in the winter, just have no desire for it majority of the time. Just too bleh and too cold to drink it ice cold this time of year, but I'm forced to now that I have to drink a lot to get rid of the chemo crap out of my system. Maybe I'll get more used to it after this. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting. I would think that would upset one's stomach. I could never drink a soda during athletic activity. I think I once drank an entire OG Four Loko during a nine game softball day, but otherwise it's water, coconut water, pedialyte or maybe gatorade for me. Heck, I'd reach for a light beer before a coke.

Flat coke being the key.

I'm Iranian so tea was around 24/7. Caffeine doesn't effect me so I can drink it at night if I like and still sleep. I don't hate water in the winter, just have no desire for it majority of the time. Just too bleh and too cold to drink it ice cold this time of year, but I'm forced to now that I have to drink a lot to get rid of the chemo crap out of my system. Maybe I'll get more used to it after this. :dunno:
I was blown away because you said you can't stand water alone. This response makes more sense. It's definitely a practiced thing. :thumbup:

Flat coke being the key.
:yes: Ned knows.

my last race - 50k, the race director apparently forgot to flatten the coke and mountain dew. :X didn't get sick but when you slug something down not expecting carbonation, it hits hard.

Flat coke being the key.

my last race - 50k, the race director apparently forgot to flatten the coke and mountain dew. :X didn't get sick but when you slug something down not expecting carbonation, it hits hard.
Flat coke during a race is the manna of the gods.

Flat coke being the key.

Um I was doing the Baltimore Half. Get towards a water station around mile 9. Go to grab a cup, it was beer lol. Happened to be in the neighborhood where a bunch of the Hopkins college students live and they had a frat handing out Natty Bohs lol. Wasn't mad about getting beer, but from going to think I'm about to get a nice cold cup of water and then getting beer, it was a little surprise.

I've tried a couple of times to kick soda, and I'm working on it again. I just grew up drinking it all the time.

I switched to the Diet stuff years ago as I found the non diet too sweet. I'm tying to get to less than one a day.

I always have iced tea on hand, sweet and unsweet. I also like the flavored ICE water.

I've increased my water intake and I think the reason water is so good for you is the exercise you get going back and forth to the bathroom!

Can't stand plain water but love the sparkling stuff. About the only non-alcoholic thing I drink except for occasional iced tea. Plus it's a great chase for whiskey. A pint of Perrier or San Pellegrino to chase a pint a whiskey... I figure it's health-neutral.

I've cut down on soda at lunch since starting this thread, but I haven't eliminated it totally from my diet. Often get water with lunch now and save a couple bucks. 

But the fountain Game Fuel (Citrus Cherry) at Arby's is so good.  :unsure:

Kicked pop, started drinking it again, and have now greatly reduced the intake since this thread started.  I've been doing the keto diet, which restricts carb intake, so regular pop is out.  Most week days I'll either have 0 or 1 cans of diet pop (coffee in the morning).  The weekends if we go out to eat, or if I drink (rum and diet coke) are a little worse, but still much better than the old days.

Gave up soda about 3 years ago.  I crave it almost daily but still no go for me.  I was drinking 2-3 per day during the week and at least a 6 pack or 2 liter bottle every sat & sun.  My coffee intake has increased but only slightly.  Water during the day at work and for lunch now.  For better or worse drink a lot of crystal light lemonade at home.  Gives the water flavor and doesnt help or hurt.  

Fairly happy my 8 yo daughter has never had soda and never has asked for it.  She drinks a lot of water.  Wish she would drink more milk though.

Topo Chico is a game changer.  Not sure if it's available across the US but best sparkling mineral water out there IMO.  I normally just squeeze a lime in there for flavor and if I'm craving something sweet will add a few drops of these stevia water enhancers which gives it a nice soda taste.  

Gave up soda about 3 years ago.  I crave it almost daily but still no go for me.  I was drinking 2-3 per day during the week and at least a 6 pack or 2 liter bottle every sat & sun.  My coffee intake has increased but only slightly.  Water during the day at work and for lunch now.  For better or worse drink a lot of crystal light lemonade at home.  Gives the water flavor and doesnt help or hurt.  

Fairly happy my 8 yo daughter has never had soda and never has asked for it.  She drinks a lot of water.  Wish she would drink more milk though.

Cow's milk?  Why?  She's not a baby cow is she?

Why?

Cow's milk?  Why?  She's not a baby cow is she?
Yeah, cow's milk is meant for cows. Honey is meant for bees.  Glucose made from photosynthesis is for the plant that made it. 

Water's good, though (I think).

What am I missing with Milk?  Is it not good for you?  Does a growing girl not need the calcium and other nutrients found in milk?

I am asking as a serious question in case you arent just mocking me and there is a reason why milk isnt needed after a certain age?  I grew up on it so I dont know.

Haha. I wish (assuming there's "big money" in that). 

I just find the logic involved interesting.
I grew up in dairy country.  When you would get within 2 miles of a dairy, all you could smell was cow crap and silage. The saying was "Do you smell that?  Smells like money."

It's amazing how much money you can make when you pump your cows full of drugs so they overproduce and then the government buys the excess.  Big dairy indeed.  

I grew up in dairy country.  When you would get within 2 miles of a dairy, all you could smell was cow crap and silage. The saying was "Do you smell that?  Smells like money."

It's amazing how much money you can make when you pump your cows full of drugs so they overproduce and then the government buys the excess.  Big dairy indeed.  
:kicksrock:

I was kinda hoping to work from my relatively scent-free home and just post on a forum here or there about how although the health benefits of milk were probably way overblown in the past, it's still probably a fine thing to have a part of your diet (in moderation, like just about everything else), and how its pretty interesting how some act like it's some evil poison that's an affront against nature.

I'm guessing that's not where the money's at, though.  Bummer.

:kicksrock:

I was kinda hoping to work from my relatively scent-free home and just post on a forum here or there about how although the health benefits of milk were probably way overblown in the past, it's still probably a fine thing to have a part of your diet (in moderation, like just about everything else), and how its pretty interesting how some act like it's some evil poison that's an affront against nature.

I'm guessing that's not where the money's at, though.  Bummer.
Don't think for a second I drink my coffee black. All things in moderation is key, but yes, dairy is trying to screw you just like everyone else. The more you know.  

Users who are viewing this thread