What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Driver Rodgers favorite target in OTAs. (1 Viewer)

BLOX

Footballguy
There's no mistaking that Aaron Rodgers' favorite target is Donald Driver. The two hooked up several times on the day, including a great over-the-shoulder catch by Driver in 7-on-7. Driver looked sharp all practice. Rodgers made a nice last-minute read to zip the ball to Driver on an out pattern at one point.

Link to JSOnline's Packer Blog:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/...s-conclude.aspx

Just cut out the Driver and Rodgers item. There's more info there, but with the value plays coming out today this kind of fit I suppose.

Not too suprising. Driver is the leader of that Offense now. He runs a lot of shorter routes, and with Rodgers still being "new" he should look to get rid of the ball quick. Favre could by time all day for the deep routes to open up. I'd expect Driver and Lee to be the players to own in GB this season.

His favorite in the Dallas game last year was Jennings. He may have more favorites in the coming months.

Driver had a shoulder and ankle injury last season. Hopefully he is back.

Driver is an excellent WR2 this year and of course he is Rodgers favorite WR. He has some of the best hands in the league and is great in PPR leagues. He should be good for at least about 80 receptions, 1100 yards and 4-7 TD's this year. His stats may actually go up with out Favre because Driver will be Rodgers safety valve.

His favorite in the Dallas game last year was Jennings. He may have more favorites in the coming months.
Is this right? Driver had 7 catches in that game, 2 more than Jennings. Did Jennings have more targets than Driver when Rodgers was in?

Driver is an excellent WR2 this year and of course he is Rodgers favorite WR. He has some of the best hands in the league and is great in PPR leagues. He should be good for at least about 80 receptions, 1100 yards and 4-7 TD's this year. His stats may actually go up with out Favre because Driver will be Rodgers safety valve.
Rodgers threw to them the same number of times(and to Lee) but Jennings had bigger plays. Much of the defense was absent at this last practice.Several veterans, as expected, did not participate in the final practice, including DE Aaron Kampman, LB Nick Barnett, DE Cullen Jenkins and CBs Charles Woodson and Al Harris. RB Ryan Grant (contract) was also out again. LT Chad Clifton was present but sat out.CB Will Blackmon (foot), FB John Kuhn (groin), CB Kyle Ward (ankle), TE Joey Haynos (hamstring), OG Junius Coston (back), OT Tony Moll (knee), TE Jermichael Finley (knee bruise), DT Colin Cole (forearm), DT Justin Harrell (back), DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee), OG Carmeron Stephenson (calf), DT Johnny Jolly (shoulder) were all out with injuries.

Driver is just another 30 something underappreciated overproductive WR that will make someone very very happy when they acquire him as their WR2/3 and he ends up with WR1 numbers.

80+ rec

1,100 yds

8 TD

Good information from H.K and Scrumptrulescent from other posts:

The last five games Driver and Jennings played in the regular season, Driver had 42 (8.4 pg) targets to Jennings' 29 (5.8 pg).

2007 targets per game:

Driver 8.1

Jennings 6.5

Jones 5.0

2007 Red zone targets

Driver 17 for 2 TD's

Jones 11 for 0 TD's

Jennings 11 for 6 TD's

Who Rodgers went to in the Dallas game.

Driver: thrown to 7 times, 7 catches

Jennings: thrown to 6 times, 5 catches (including a td)

Lee: thrown to 4 times, 3 catches

Jones: thrown to 2 times, 1 catch

Robinson: thrown to 1 time, 1 catch

Martin: thrown to 1 time, 0 catches

RB's: thrown to 3 times, 2 catches

Looking at last year seems to be of limited use.

Rodgers wasn't in there much and we have no idea which of the WRs he'll favor. Sure Driver is the cagey, reliable veteran, but no one can deny that Jennings took big strides last year, and may improve further. And Jones clearly some talent, and don't forget about Donald Lee.

It seems like a crapshoot as to which WR, if any, will step above the rest, and I would rather wait to pick one than reach early on Jennings or Driver, in particular.

No it was not.Driver had more targets and receptions than Jennings did with Rodgers in there.

I think people saw that one big play and think that Jennings was the favorite...but the stats do not bear that out.

Looking at last year seems to be of limited use. Rodgers wasn't in there much and we have no idea which of the WRs he'll favor. Sure Driver is the cagey, reliable veteran, but no one can deny that Jennings took big strides last year, and may improve further. And Jones clearly some talent, and don't forget about Donald Lee.It seems like a crapshoot as to which WR, if any, will step above the rest, and I would rather wait to pick one than reach early on Jennings or Driver, in particular.
This is also true.This article tends to show what I have been waiting to see though.Driver, while talented, is not a prototypical WR. He built up very good stats the way Freeman did. By being in tune with his QB. Favre trusted him to make a play and knew where Driver was at all times. I have said it will be interesting to see who develops that same relationship with Rodgers. So far it looks like Driver is still doing that with Rodgers and that testament to Driver's work ethic and determination to be as good of a WR as he can be IMO.

No it was not.Driver had more targets and receptions than Jennings did with Rodgers in there.

I think people saw that one big play and think that Jennings was the favorite...but the stats do not bear that out.
Targets or receptions don't determine favorite or reliable favorites. This is like arguing hamburgers or cheeseburgers. What determines favorite? Most targets or the guy you go to in the clutch? Jennings had more than one big play.This is stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Targets or receptions don't determine favorite or reliable favorites. This is like arguing hamburgers or cheeseburgers. What determines favorite? Most targets or the guy you go to in the clutch? Jennings had more than one big play.This is stupid.
What are you determining a favorite on? Because Jennings made a play after the catch?Yes...your reasoning over this is quite stupid.

One guy gets looked at more...and makes more receptions...and because of one play (which was Jennings making a play after the catch anyway) and you determine that to make Jennings his favorite?

What kind of logic is that?

I went to a party at Driver's house in Texas a week ago today and I had a chance to hang out with him for awhile. He had two fingers on his hand that were heavily taped and bandaged together but he did tell me he planned to attend all OTA's and minicamps so he obviously has no injuries at this moment keeping him from playing. He also told me he loved Brett Farve, said it was his boy and Farve was just like family but that he thought the Packers were going to be fine at QB.

Wow, that's one of the worst postings evah.

Driver understands what a QB is thinking...he understands how to get his QB out of jams...Driver will be a guy that is going to make Rodgers look good. I think Jennings will see a major drop in his TD...you can argue against it but the number of WR that post 10-12 TD year in and year out is so small its almost not worth mentioning. Only TO, Moss, Harrison in his prime, those are the only guys that posted 10-15 TD a season...over the past few years we have had some guys like DJax and Plax post double digit TDs...I don't believe Greg Jennings is in the same category as Moss, TO, and Harrison so I think a reasonable drop for him is around 8 TD...then you factor in that he doesn't catch anywhere near 80 balls, and Driver is being drafted after Jennings....

Driver=value.

Greg Jennings...56-64 catches, 900-1,000 yds, 6-8TD

Donald Driver...80-88 catches, 1,100-1,200 yds, 8 TD

That's my opinion and how I see it as of today. In PPR leagues I jump on Driver for sure.

My take on Jennings - This is his 3rd year, and it seems every year there is one or 2 guys that makes the big jump in year 3. This year? Jennings & Holmes (although Holmes did quite well last year).

I think the OTAs are being over analyzed in terms of who someones favorite target is. While it does create chemistry between QB/WR, the chemistry I want is that of the Sunday variety. Only time will tell that one...

My take on Jennings - This is his 3rd year, and it seems every year there is one or 2 guys that makes the big jump in year 3. This year? Jennings & Holmes (although Holmes did quite well last year). I think the OTAs are being over analyzed in terms of who someones favorite target is. While it does create chemistry between QB/WR, the chemistry I want is that of the Sunday variety. Only time will tell that one...
How much better is Jennings going to do than 12 TD??? It's possible he never hits that number again.Not picking a fight or nothing, but the number of WR that hit double digit TD is very very small. I think jennings had his breakout in year 2...it's not etched in stone that it has to happen in year 3. I also believe he really benefitted from Brett Favr and also Donald Driver lining up on the other side. Part 2 of that equation has not changed.

The big question is how many TDs Rodgers is going to throw this year.

I am with MoP and doubt that Jennings (who I like tons) will put up 12. Let us say 9.

Unless Rodgers has a bad season (possible), that leaves a lot for Drvier or Jones. My bet is overwhelmingly on Driver.

The guy catches balls and doesn't hang a QB out for the INT. In practice and in games. That is what makes a favorite. He should almost be called "Mr. Dependable".

My take on Jennings - This is his 3rd year, and it seems every year there is one or 2 guys that makes the big jump in year 3. This year? Jennings & Holmes (although Holmes did quite well last year). I think the OTAs are being over analyzed in terms of who someones favorite target is. While it does create chemistry between QB/WR, the chemistry I want is that of the Sunday variety. Only time will tell that one...
How much better is Jennings going to do than 12 TD??? It's possible he never hits that number again.Not picking a fight or nothing, but the number of WR that hit double digit TD is very very small. I think jennings had his breakout in year 2...it's not etched in stone that it has to happen in year 3. I also believe he really benefitted from Brett Favr and also Donald Driver lining up on the other side. Part 2 of that equation has not changed.
Sorry... I should have clarified... I think Jennings becomes the #1 WR there. Im thinking he gets more catches and yards, but yeah, the TDs might drop to 8-10. If I had to make a guess right now, Id say 80-1200, 8-10. Driver getting about 70 - 1000 - 5ishThose are rough guesses, so dont hold m to em. :P

My take on Jennings - This is his 3rd year, and it seems every year there is one or 2 guys that makes the big jump in year 3. This year? Jennings & Holmes (although Holmes did quite well last year).

I think the OTAs are being over analyzed in terms of who someones favorite target is. While it does create chemistry between QB/WR, the chemistry I want is that of the Sunday variety. Only time will tell that one...
Sorry... I should have clarified... I think Jennings becomes the #1 WR there. Im thinking he gets more catches and yards, but yeah, the TDs might drop to 8-10. If I had to make a guess right now, Id say 80-1200, 8-10. Driver getting about 70 - 1000 - 5ish

Those are rough guesses, so dont hold m to em. :shrug:
thats right about where I have him as of now, preseason may change that depending on how good or bad rogers looks.

I went to a party at Driver's house in Texas a week ago today and I had a chance to hang out with him for awhile. He had two fingers on his hand that were heavily taped and bandaged together but he did tell me he planned to attend all OTA's and minicamps so he obviously has no injuries at this moment keeping him from playing. He also told me he loved Brett Farve, said it was his boy and Farve was just like family but that he thought the Packers were going to be fine at QB.
:thumbup: Nice! You should have asked him for GB offensive projections, though.....Can you do us a favor and run back over there? :unsure: :pickle:

A young QB keeps his job by completing passes and will look to the most sure-handed guy more often. Admittedly, this isn't Jerry Rice vs. Troy Williamson and the difference won't be that huge between Driver and Jennings, but I think it should be obvious that Rodgers - with Brohm looking over his shoulder - will target Driver a lot. Jennings will make the big plays and likely lead the team in TD's, but a healthy Driver is a lock for 80 catches.

Man, people are getting a lot of mileage out of one game.

That Aaron Rodgers Dallas game has got to be one of the most studied single contests ever, with massive assumptions being made based on the results.

Talk about your small sample size.

Man, people are getting a lot of mileage out of one game.That Aaron Rodgers Dallas game has got to be one of the most studied single contests ever, with massive assumptions being made based on the results.Talk about your small sample size.
That's all there is. Everything is guesswork. MM said Rodgers has progressed greatly from previous years but staying healthy may be a problem. no one knows. When he plays he will have a lot of weapons. Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin, Jordy Nelson(who was stated may play some WR some H back), 2-3 TE's, a couple of RB's. We're all anxious for TC to see some work with pads on. So far it's shorts and little contact and most of the defense didn't start yesterday. Kind of hard to gauge anything from that. It's most pitch and catch so far.Maybe in 2 months more will become clear.

Drivers more of a possession WR while Jennings is a big play one.

Driver will likely get more targets, but Jennings does a lot more with each target so the amount of targets really doesn't say anything about who will be a better fantasy WR.

Jennings is far more explosive after the catch and a lot of his big plays weren't due to Favre, they were due to him turning short routes into big plays.

I just hope Rodgers works out. I own Driver in one dynasty and Jennings in 3. It will be very telling the first few games what we have. And I am not talking about the pre-season. Once the regular season kicks in Rodgers needs to prove it fast or there will panic in the FF world with GB players ;)

He has everything a first time starter would want. Young and solid OL, Great WR's and a back who showed some big time skills last season. Let's see how this works out. :lmao:

And as far as Driver vs Jennings I think Driver will have the better PPR stats this year and I agree Jennings will lose about 4-6 TD's from last season. Long term jennings is great. But this year the value is in Driver.

Man, people are getting a lot of mileage out of one game.That Aaron Rodgers Dallas game has got to be one of the most studied single contests ever, with massive assumptions being made based on the results.Talk about your small sample size.
That's all there is. Everything is guesswork. MM said Rodgers has progressed greatly from previous years but staying healthy may be a problem. no one knows.
That's my point exactly.Although I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that Driver will be his #1 target. It certainly seems the most likely.

Driver will likely get more targets, but Jennings does a lot more with each target so the amount of targets really doesn't say anything about who will be a better fantasy WR.

Jennings is far more explosive after the catch and a lot of his big plays weren't due to Favre, they were due to him turning short routes into big plays.
The same thing could be said for Driver.Who showed he was just as explosive even in the cold of the NFC Title game.

The same thing could be said for Driver.Who showed he was just as explosive even in the cold of the NFC Title game.
I love Driver, but he's not near as explosive as Jennings, it really isn't even close. You can't judge a player on one game. Jennings consistently makes big plays whereas while Driver is capable of it he's not on the same level in that regard to Jennings.But...Driver is a far better intermediate route runner then Jennings at this point.

driver has jerry rice speed. he won't time fast but he plays a smart polished game that allows him to have better game speed.

I love Driver, but he's not near as explosive as Jennings, it really isn't even close. You can't judge a player on one game. Jennings consistently makes big plays whereas while Driver is capable of it he's not on the same level in that regard to Jennings.But...Driver is a far better intermediate route runner then Jennings at this point.
Jennings has amazing in close quickness. He can get away with several defenders very close. Last year Driver had a lingering shoulder injury that was bad in TC and an ankle injury. He may have gotten surgery, but I haven't heard. He could be much better this year with big plays.Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson in my mind are similar players in they have quickness over great speed and catch balls away from their bodies with their hands. Seems commonplace but many players let the ball into their body.Jones could step up this year. He is stronger and has huge hands. I hear he was one of the most improved players during the off season.

Do you really think I am judging Driver off of one game?

:lmao: Nice! You should have asked him for GB offensive projections, though.....Can you do us a favor and run back over there? :lmao: :lmao:
I plan to sneak some fantasy questions in on him later but I did not want to beat him down with to many football questions. I've got to say he's a heck of a nice guy and someone I'll be rooting for even if he's not on my fantasy team. I was at the party at his house because my daughter goes to daycare with his son and daughter and they had a daycare graduation party with a few parents over and not because I'm a tight friend of his. He was a gracious host and it turns out I was the last one to leave and he made my day by asking if I wanted to take a tour of his house and he gave me an MTV Cribs like tour of his house. Took me in every nook and cranny in his house and took the time to go over some of the signed memorabilia he was most fond off and than he fed some delicious smoked ribs and sausages he had been working on the past few hours. Nice guy. He treated me like I was a good buddy of his and in no way put on any air's or acted big time. Hard not to like and root for a guy like that.

:( Nice! You should have asked him for GB offensive projections, though.....Can you do us a favor and run back over there? :goodposting: :coffee:
I plan to sneak some fantasy questions in on him later but I did not want to beat him down with to many football questions. I've got to say he's a heck of a nice guy and someone I'll be rooting for even if he's not on my fantasy team. I was at the party at his house because my daughter goes to daycare with his son and daughter and they had a daycare graduation party with a few parents over and not because I'm a tight friend of his. He was a gracious host and it turns out I was the last one to leave and he made my day by asking if I wanted to take a tour of his house and he gave me an MTV Cribs like tour of his house. Took me in every nook and cranny in his house and took the time to go over some of the signed memorabilia he was most fond off and than he fed some delicious smoked ribs and sausages he had been working on the past few hours. Nice guy. He treated me like I was a good buddy of his and in no way put on any air's or acted big time. Hard not to like and root for a guy like that.
Last PS he had a lingering shoulder injury. Ask him if he had surgery or if it's OK.

Users who are viewing this thread