What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

dumb things about MLB (1 Viewer)

pecorino

Footballguy
got to thinking just WHY i have grown to detest the league:

1) uneven division sizes--how does MLB justify divisions of sizes 4 and 6 with the rest at 5?

2) the DH. pick a rule and stick with it already.

3) Bud Selig, Commissioner AND Owner. Forget all of the dumb things Selig has done or said over the years. Is it so difficult for the league to find a commissioner who doesn't have an invested stake in one of the teams?

4) the league that wins the All-Star game gets home field advantage in the World Series.

5) no salary cap, no salary floor. the disparity in markets and willingness of owners to spend is too great. when the wealthiest team spends 10X as much as the poorest team, something needs to change.

6) 5-game playoff series after 162 regular season games. the playoffs are too short/the regular season is too long. as Michael Lewis notes in Moneyball, the post-season is a crap shoot because of the small sample size.

i feel like i'm just warming up. what do you got?

Present the facts, don't bring presumptions.

Bud Selig transferred his stake in the ownership of the Brewers to his daughter. So yeah, you may argue the point that he still probably tells her some things to do, I am sure NFL Commish Roger Goodell has suggested what to do to NFL owners, and so forth.

But, to say he is a Commish AND owner is completely false.

You feel like your warming up?

Boo-Hoo, don't watch it, don't pay it no mind if you don't like it.

It's easy enough.

P.S. Don't even consider me a Selig-supporter because I put up a poll in the baseball forum basically bashing him last year when the Mitchell Report came out.

Just present the facts.

ETA - The reason the salary cap is the way it is is because of the Steinbrenners most importantly, so blame the Yankees' owners. The Yankees actually, discreetly, and technically send plenty of money to organizations like the Royals.

Last edited by a moderator:
pecorino said:
got to thinking just WHY i have grown to detest the league:1) uneven division sizes--how does MLB justify divisions of sizes 4 and 6 with the rest at 5?2) the DH. pick a rule and stick with it already.3) Bud Selig, Commissioner AND Owner. Forget all of the dumb things Selig has done or said over the years. Is it so difficult for the league to find a commissioner who doesn't have an invested stake in one of the teams?4) the league that wins the All-Star game gets home field advantage in the World Series.5) no salary cap, no salary floor. the disparity in markets and willingness of owners to spend is too great. when the wealthiest team spends 10X as much as the poorest team, something needs to change.6) 5-game playoff series after 162 regular season games. the playoffs are too short/the regular season is too long. as Michael Lewis notes in Moneyball, the post-season is a crap shoot because of the small sample size.i feel like i'm just warming up. what do you got?
1 - to make sure every team plays on the weekend, without having an inter-league game every night - 16 teams in the NL, 14 teams in the AL gives each league an even-number of teams.2. I agree.3. Not an owner4. Who cares? 5. You want owners to spend more - provide them with more revenue. Most teams operate as a for-profit business - less revenue = less expenses. Higher payroll does not = world series win. Lower revenue teams, with good management can perform as well as, or better, than big money teams with poor management.6. No question that the playoffs - even a 7 game series - are a different game. The regular season places an emphasis on depth, particularly SP. The playoffs place an emphasis on talent. You need both to win. :lmao:We should really have a forum to discuss these things . . .

"On January 17, 2008, Selig's contract was extended by the MLB through 2012, at which point he plans to retire.[9] Selig made $14.5 million in the 12-month period ending Oct. 31, 2005."

Even Selig knows the world is going to end in 2012

Death Bytes said:
It condones stealing. As a father, it's hard for me to support that.
And that stupid balk rule! Why is it unfair for a pitcher to decieve a runner? Is it unfair to a cornerback that a QB can pumpfake? It's a sport. Decieving the opposition is part of sport. Would stealing would be too hard if the pitcher was allowed to balk? So what!!! As Jimmy Dugan said "If it was easy, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great." Stealing a base should be hard. Earn it!

Selig sold the Brewers to his daughter who has now sold the team to Mark Attanacio. He holds no stake in a team.

Bud Selig transferred his stake in the ownership of the Brewers to his daughter. So yeah, you may argue the point that he still probably tells her some things to do, I am sure NFL Commish Roger Goodell has suggested what to do to NFL owners, and so forth.
While this was true the Selig's haven't had an ownership interest in the Brewers since 2005. Mark Attanasio (LA Businessman) bought the team in 2005.

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of a salary cap, teams like the Mets and Yankees can continue to cover-up piss poor management by over spending on vet talent.

That said, years like this one make me happy to see a team like the Mets dying a slow death, a couple of key injuries and you see how bad management has done building depth. The best part? They fire the manager and give the GM an extension :P

6) 5 game series is waaay too short, agreed.

But the seasons 162 is just right

Get rid of interleague play......it's unbalanced and unfair to all teams playing within each division.

That batters are allowed to step out of the box on every pitch, turning an already slow game into a snoozefest. :goodposting:

Death Bytes said:
It condones stealing. As a father, it's hard for me to support that.
And that stupid balk rule! Why is it unfair for a pitcher to decieve a runner? Is it unfair to a cornerback that a QB can pumpfake? It's a sport. Decieving the opposition is part of sport. Would stealing would be too hard if the pitcher was allowed to balk? So what!!! As Jimmy Dugan said "If it was easy, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great." Stealing a base should be hard. Earn it!
if pitchers could do whatever they wanted to deceive a runner, nobody would ever steal a base.

I don't mind not having a salary cap. Makes for dynasties and that's good for the sport. Plus there is enough talent to go around and as previously said the playoffs are a crapshoot.

One thing I do deplore is the MLB draft. Many times the best players drop because teams cannot afford to meet their salary demands. It's ridiculous. I also don't like the fact that teams cannot trade draft picks. Anyone know the rationale behind that?

pecorino said:
got to thinking just WHY i have grown to detest the league:1) uneven division sizes--how does MLB justify divisions of sizes 4 and 6 with the rest at 5?2) the DH. pick a rule and stick with it already.3) Bud Selig, Commissioner AND Owner. Forget all of the dumb things Selig has done or said over the years. Is it so difficult for the league to find a commissioner who doesn't have an invested stake in one of the teams?4) the league that wins the All-Star game gets home field advantage in the World Series.5) no salary cap, no salary floor. the disparity in markets and willingness of owners to spend is too great. when the wealthiest team spends 10X as much as the poorest team, something needs to change.6) 5-game playoff series after 162 regular season games. the playoffs are too short/the regular season is too long. as Michael Lewis notes in Moneyball, the post-season is a crap shoot because of the small sample size.
Good points all. :thumbup:

They need to fine players for spitting. It's f-ing gross. I counted 7 spits from Matt Garza 3 times between pitches, and at least 3 spits between every pitch.

got to thinking just WHY i have grown to detest the league:1) uneven division sizes--how does MLB justify divisions of sizes 4 and 6 with the rest at 5?2) the DH. pick a rule and stick with it already.3) Bud Selig, Commissioner AND Owner. Forget all of the dumb things Selig has done or said over the years. Is it so difficult for the league to find a commissioner who doesn't have an invested stake in one of the teams?4) the league that wins the All-Star game gets home field advantage in the World Series.5) no salary cap, no salary floor. the disparity in markets and willingness of owners to spend is too great. when the wealthiest team spends 10X as much as the poorest team, something needs to change.6) 5-game playoff series after 162 regular season games. the playoffs are too short/the regular season is too long. as Michael Lewis notes in Moneyball, the post-season is a crap shoot because of the small sample size.i feel like i'm just warming up. what do you got?
1) interleague play makes it impossible to have even divisions. 14 teams are in the AL, 16 in the NL. You cannot have 15 in each without scheduling an interleague game every night.2) agreed3) He doesnt own them anymore. Hes also done a ton of great things for the league... Wild Card, Interleague play, instant replay, and tons more Im forgetting4) Agreed5) This is obviously a huge problem6) Agreed, should be 7 games

got to thinking just WHY i have grown to detest the league:1) uneven division sizes--how does MLB justify divisions of sizes 4 and 6 with the rest at 5?2) the DH. pick a rule and stick with it already.3) Bud Selig, Commissioner AND Owner. Forget all of the dumb things Selig has done or said over the years. Is it so difficult for the league to find a commissioner who doesn't have an invested stake in one of the teams?4) the league that wins the All-Star game gets home field advantage in the World Series.5) no salary cap, no salary floor. the disparity in markets and willingness of owners to spend is too great. when the wealthiest team spends 10X as much as the poorest team, something needs to change.6) 5-game playoff series after 162 regular season games. the playoffs are too short/the regular season is too long. as Michael Lewis notes in Moneyball, the post-season is a crap shoot because of the small sample size.
#1 is a horrible point, #3 is plain wrong

sorry about the Selig blunder--i haven't been much of a fan over the past decade. please retract point #3.

i don't see how you can dismiss point #1 when each division sends one team to the postseason. surely a 4-team division is easier to win than a 6-team division, all other things being equal.

#1 is a horrible point, #3 is plain wrong
Selig still has a massive vested interest in the Brewers. It's plain wrong to say that he's the owner, though.I will never forgive him for attempting to contract the Twins. They responded by making the playoffs that year. **** move.

The Ghost of Common said:
Baseball is the greatest game in the history of the universe. Greater than checkers even.And you sir, chose a type of cheese as your FBG handle.
well, i disagree with your claim that baseball is the greatest game (let alone even a 'great' game) but those are just our personal opinions. and it's not just any cheese, mind you, but the greatest cheese in the history of cheeses.

Users who are viewing this thread