What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] 2011 Top 20 Rookies (1 Viewer)

It's hard to answer that without seeing how the NFL draft unfolds. Both guys seem to have improved their stock, but there are other good receivers in this class and situation will play a role as well.

Brown and Hankerson's stock has gone up for sure, but I tend not to overreact to things too quickly. Let's see how they perform and where they end up.

On another note, does anyone else feel that this is the ideal draft to trade down if you have a lower pick in the 1st round and accumulate some of these guys to see which ones pan out. I think that's the strategy I might employ in my rookie drafts.

Brown and Hankerson's stock has gone up for sure, but I tend not to overreact to things too quickly. Let's see how they perform and where they end up.

On another note, does anyone else feel that this is the ideal draft to trade down if you have a lower pick in the 1st round and accumulate some of these guys to see which ones pan out. I think that's the strategy I might employ in my rookie drafts.
So you wait a while before you overreact? :lmao:

Is it safe to say that V Brown and L Hankerson have broken into the first round for PPR rookie drafts?
I haven't seen Vincent Brown in the first 2 rounds of any rookie drafts to this point. Has his value been going up after the season for some reason? I don't follow college too much.

So you wait a while before you overreact? :rolleyes:
That's a good one. :) I tend not to overreact, period. :shrug:

The Shutdown 40: #36 - Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami

By Doug Farrar

We continue our series with Miami wideout Leonard Hankerson, whose name has been on the lips of most personnel evaluators after his stellar performance in the Senior Bowl game and the week of practice. Hankerson finished his Miami career with 128 catches for 2,089 yards and 21 touchdowns in 40 games.

Pros: Had a pretty serious problem with drops early in his collegiate career, but his work with former Dolphins great Mark Duper and subsequent improvement speaks to his ability to take coaching and turn it into production. Has a good understanding of, and the ability to run, the entire route tree. Hankerson is particularly polished on intermediate vertical routes that allow him to get going after the catch.

Shows good toughness in traffic, as well as on comebacks with defenders all over him. Great in any route where short-quick cuts are needed. He sits in zones very well and gets upfield with authority. He will go up to catch high throws on slants and posts with everything he's got - no fear when it comes to potential tacklers obviously closing in for big hits. Duper wasn't the only former NFL star to help him out - his position coach in high school was should-be-Hall-of-Famer Cris Carter.

Cons: Hankerson doesn't explode off the line - it takes him a bit of time to get a full head of steam - and as a result, he may have problems with press and man coverage at the NFL level. At Senior Bowl practice, he was more easily able to show his attributes in three-receiver sets where a slot guy on his inside was able to take a safety or nickel back away from his route.

That lack of immediate speed also shows up when he's asked to run routes demanding quick cuts (digs, slants, and crosses). This is less of an issue if the routes are underneath coverage, but he's not going to win a lot of short-area speed battles in coverage on cuts alone.

Conclusion: So far, the primary NFL comp for Hankerson seems to be Andre Johnson, but at 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, he doesn't quite have that kind of size. The other comp I've seen is Sidney Rice, but Hankerson isn't quite that explosive. What he does possess is a great overall understanding of how to play the receiver position; the little things and intangibles which make receivers great.

The fact that he's already developed so much as a player in the last few seasons, and done so in an offense under construction during his time there, indicates that he'll excel at the NFL level. In the right kind of system (he seems the ideal outside guy in an offense that doesn't demand specific receiver speed), he could have multiple 1,000-yard seasons in his future.

NFL Comparison: Brian Robiskie, Cleveland Browns

The Shutdown 40: #37 - Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

We continue our series with Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett, who completed 528 passes in 908 attempts for 8108 yards, 67 touchdowns, and 23 interceptions in his time with Michigan (one season) and Arkansas (two seasons; he sat out the 2008 season after transferring). He moved from Michigan to Arkansas to get away from the spread offense run by Rich Rodriguez, and move to the more traditionally dynamic offense led by Bobby Petrino.

Pros: Mallett has the best pure arm of the 2011 draft class; he has no problem firing away on deep posts and sideline routes, and he has an easy delivery with throws that most quarterbacks would have to heave with all their might. At his best, he can zip the ball into short spaces and beat any coverage. Incredibly productive at Arkansas; set several school and conference passing records. Tall player with no trouble establishing sightlines after the snap. Good accuracy in the pocket on all throws, and he really can make them all ... if he's not pressured.

Cons: Mechanical issues plague Mallett in nearly every aspect of his game. At 6-foot-6 and 238 pounds, he's not a runner at all, nor is he effectively mobile in or out of the pocket. His footwork has improved to a degree, but he's still clumsy when navigating his way through pressure. Loses accuracy when leaving the pocket and on the move, even when throwing little bailout routes.

On the move, he has trouble coordinating short-to-intermediate timing routes (slants and crosses) to a really worrisome degree for a guy who's about to don an NFL uniform. Padded his stats to a fairly decent extent with quick throws to wide-open receivers in the flat in Bobby Petrino's wide-open offense. For a guy with an arm this big, Mallett lacks the ability to make repeatable stick throws downfield when he's under pressure.

Character concerns have followed him from Michigan to Arkansas - he's said to have a very elevated view of his own abilities, and the rumors about his off-field activities are already starting. Every year, it seems as if there's one player whose extracurricular activities (real or imagined) becomes the talk of the pre-draft process. Mallett's odds are as good as anyone's in 2011.

Conclusion: If there's one thing the two quarterbacks in Super Bowl XLV showed, it's that the ability to beat pressure in a productive fashion is more important that it has ever been. In a lot of ways, Mallett is the anti-version of Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger, two star quarterbacks who have built estimable careers on their abilities to frustrate defenses no end by evading hits and hurries and consistently throwing for killer downfield gains. He's more the older-style quarterback (think Drew Bledsoe) with a great arm and a lack of modern-day skills around it.

Think of him as a statue with a cannon attached, and then ask yourself how well such a player would do against the 2010 defenses of **** LeBeau and Rex Ryan. To be an elite NFL quarterback, Mallett will need a top-5 pass-blocking line, and there isn't much room for error there.

I have my own football biases, and having grown up watching quarterbacks in West Coast offenses from Montana to Young to Elway to Hasselbeck, I'm accustomed to players with functional mobility and advanced route concepts. As a result, I wouldn't put Mallett anywhere near my own hypothetical draft board - it will take an organization inordinately in love with deep-ball quarterbacks to try and make Mallet the centerpiece of its offense. As much as I don't enjoy writing profoundly negative scouting reports of draft prospects, Mallett has as many warning flags as any potential first-round quarterback I've ever seen.

NFL Comparison: Derek Anderson, Arizona Cardinals

The Shutdown 40: No. 39 - Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee

By Doug Farrar

Pros: At 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, Stocker has the size needed to absorb hits over the middle at the NFL level, and he showed that he possessed the toughness to handle it during Senior Bowl week, when Alabama's Greg McElroy threw him into an evil two-defender hit in practice, and Stocker held on to the ball. He was absolutely fearless in traffic during his Vols career as well.

Stocker has good second-level burst for his size, which allows him to angle past defensive backs in the open field, though he's more conversant with just running people over. Sits well in zones and turns upfield with a good blast. Consistent route-runner with the slants, crosses, and seam routes tight ends see most of the time. Played for three different coaches in his last three seasons, going through different offenses with toughness and consistency. A willing and physical blocker. Fits all the traditional tight-end models.

Cons: However, if you're looking for one of the new breed of hybrid tight ends who plays more like big wide receivers, Stocker is not your guy. He's not a burner off the snap -- it takes him a bit of time to get up to speed, though he's surprisingly nimble in short spaces. And at times, his size leads him to look stocky and blocky in quick turnaround and comeback routes -- he's better as a strider after the catch.

Doesn't get separation against faster corners who can press him in space; his option in those situations is to jump his way out of coverage. Best used in a balanced or West Coast system where the tight end is not required to get immediately vertical.

Conclusion: The rise of spread offenses in the NCAA has given birth to a new generation of tight ends who may have been possession receivers in previous eras. They can run, but they can't block, and they're more about getting downfield or taking stick screens upfield than chipping off the line and running the perfect slant or cross. Stocker is not that kind of flashy player, but he is absolutely the type of tight end you want if you're looking for the do-it-all traditionalist.

Tough, consistent and multi-faceted, Stocker is just as much about the little things done right as the obvious flash points. Finished his collegiate career with 80 catches in 51 games for 898 yards and seven touchdowns.

NFL Comparison: Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys

The Shutdown 40: #33 - Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

We continue our series with Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder. The senior Seminole finished his collegiate career with 595 completions and 960 attempts with 6,866 passing yards, 49 touchdowns, and 30 interceptions in 34 games. He also ran for 480 yards and 10 touchdowns on 291 attempts.

Pros: Extremely intelligent player who has the potential to process multiple reads quickly and decisively, Ponder has a great command of all underneath routes and can throw any pass up to 20 yards in the air with consistent precision. Does not lose accuracy on the move - can roll out and keep the reads where they need to be. Throws slants and crosses and other timing routes with excellent anticipation; he can hit a receiver in stride repeatedly on any short to intermediate route, and this may be his best attribute.

Great ability to improvise under pressure and he really showed this during Senior Bowl week; even when the pocket collapsed around him, Ponder could juke his way out of trouble and make the quick completion. No problem with his mechanics - Ponder has a compact delivery and a quick release. Excellent accuracy on downfield throws when he hits the distance. Displays escapability and agility on the quick quarterback draw out of shotgun.

Cons: Injuries to his right (throwing) shoulder and elbow are cause for concern and have seen Ponder's stock descend from the top of draft prospect lists before the 2010 season to the middle of the pack. Though he can read defenses, Ponder may struggle early on in the NFL due to his tendency to telegraph his first read. He will gamble too much when leaving the pocket - he absorbs major hits when he should slide and he occasionally tries to fit stick throws where he shouldn't, leading to a high number of interceptions. Deep ball is evident but not consistent; in an offense requiring a lot of vertical throws, Ponder could leave his receivers hanging. At the combine, people will be watching his deep throws very carefully.

Conclusion: At the Senior Bowl, Ponder checked out medically, was the most consistent quarterback in the practices, and won the game's MVP award with a two-touchdown performance. He proved a lot there about the two primary concerns facing him - his injury history and supposedly weak arm. A repeat performance on the field of Lucas Oil Stadium, where he'll be throwing the same routes as every other quarterback, could rocket him back into contention as one of 2011's top quarterback prospects. He'll never be mistaken for a rifle-armed quarterback, but any team looking to lead a West Coast offense could do a lot worse in the long term.

NFL Comparison: Jeff Garcia, San Francisco 49ers (2000-2002)

There is a WR in this class that is going to be a clone of Chad johnson/OchoCinco. After the HA drafts I will name him. 4th round rookie pick would be my guess. Many are downgrading this draft but I think it is a really good one for FF.
And who are you referring to Rusty?
RoJo?
IMO it has to be Vincent Brown
I agree that it is Vincent Brown!!
DJK

Real tough year if you can't get into the top 4, I'm contemplating selling my 1.7 in a package for a future #1. The top 4 Ingram, LeShoure, AJ Green, and Julio is solid but the value's not there again until round 2. Most of the guys I like (Quizz, Dion Lewis, Delone Carter, Vincent Brown, Greg Little, Titus Young) aren't at the top of other lists so I can get the same guy for cheaper later.

Real tough year if you can't get into the top 4, I'm contemplating selling my 1.7 in a package for a future #1. The top 4 Ingram, LeShoure, AJ Green, and Julio is solid but the value's not there again until round 2. Most of the guys I like (Quizz, Dion Lewis, Delone Carter, Vincent Brown, Greg Little, Titus Young) aren't at the top of other lists so I can get the same guy for cheaper later.
I think Ryan Williams makes it a strong top 5 before the drop-off

What kind of package would that be and what kind of team are you targeting? What pick in next year's draft are you hoping for?

How can Noel Divine be in the top 10, over Leonard Hankerson and Titus Young. He has about a 20% chance at being drafted.

I think Ryan Williams makes it a strong top 5 before the drop-off
My hope is others feel the same and he falls to 1.7, should make for a stronger trade package.

What kind of package would that be and what kind of team are you targeting? What pick in next year's draft are you hoping for?
Future 1, current 2 in exchange for 1.7, current 5, and a future 4. Unless a WR emerges or someone is hot for Cam I'm hoping there's a RB available that I can dangle out there to a RB needy team.

How can Noel Divine be in the top 10, over Leonard Hankerson and Titus Young. He has about a 20% chance at being drafted.
This list was written before the Senior Bowl, when Young and Hankerson suddenly became trendy names. I knew Devine was undersized, but he's even smaller than I thought. He obviously has no future as a starting RB, although I still think he could be a useful NFL player. If Dexter McCluster can become a 2nd round pick then Devine has much better than a 20% chance of getting drafted.

The Shutdown 40: #30 - Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

By Doug Farrar

We continue our series with Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph. Despite missing the last seven games of the 2010 season with a hamstring injury, and two more games in 2009 with a shoulder injury, Rudolph finished his Fighting Irish career with the fourth-most receptions and receiving yards in school history - 90 catches and 1,032 yards and 8 touchdowns in 29 games. If not for questions about his injury history, Rudolph might be ranked higher on a lot of boards, but he's generally considered to be the top player at his position in this draft class.

Pros: Tough in traffic on slants, crosses and curls, Rudolph has no fear over the middle. Good route-runner with an excellent feel for openings in zones. Has a command of timing routes, outs and fades. Better-than-average speed on intermediate routes, especially when lined up in the slot. Quick turn upfield on short throws. Has a nose for the first-down marker and will go out of his way to extend the play in these situations. Good short-area agility for his height.

Because of his versatility from a ‘line-up' perspective, can provide formation diversity in the right kind of offense. Was off to a very hot start in 2010 before he was hurt; caught eight passes each against Michigan and Michigan State early in the season. Impressed even as a true freshman; Rudolph really hit the ground running.

Cons: Doesn't always present a "wide" target; Rudolph is flummoxed too easily by inaccurate throws - it seems that if you don't hit him between the numbers, things can get iffy. He's inconsistent overall with his hands, and he'll occasionally drop a pass that leaves you wondering. Would like to see more of an ability to break tackles at his size (6-foot-6, 265 pounds).

At times ... I don't want to say that he "folds" on a hit, but he doesn't always go after all the yardage. Maybe he's being coached to ‘live to fight another day?' Not always a defined blocker in H-back and inline roles, though I think he could be - he's just a guy who played a lot in the slot.

Conclusion: Like rookie star Rob Gronkowski, Rudolph had to go through missing a lot of his last collegiate season due to injury (actually, Gronkowski missed all of his), and Gronkowski may be the best professional example of Rudolph's possible route to NFL success. When the Patriots blew up their deep ball offense and went with a more integrated attack that featured rookie tight ends Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez attacking defenses up the seam, it proved tough to stop.

Rudolph presents an appealing hybrid skill set at his position - he's not just a big wideout like some tight ends these days, but he can go in a Colts-style offense in which he'd be in the slot 80 percent of the time. What Gronkowski proved in his rookie NFL season was that he could block inline and that he had sure hands. There are still some concerns about Rudolph's ability to match that acumen in those areas, but he's got the potential to be elite. His early path to success will likely be through longer zone sits and seam routes.

NFL Comparison: Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots

The Shutdown 40: #29 - Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

By Doug Farrar

We continue our series with Illinois running back Mikel Leshoure. In 32 games, Leshoure gained 2,464 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns on 395 carries. He also caught 35 balls for 418 yards and five scores. Leshoure shot up from 140 yards in his first season, to 765 in his second, to 1,559 (on just 252 carries) in 2010.

Pros: For his size, (6-foot-0, 230 pounds), Leshoure displays excellent first-step burst off the snap, and he can take the ball off-tackle with the right blocking. Acceleration allows him to be an effective runner on delays and draws. Excellent runner in space; his footwork on fakes and jukes is pretty remarkable for a big back. Hits the hole with authority and cuts back quickly into gaps; can be a rotational "one-cut-and-go" back at the next level because he sees openings quickly and hits them decisively.

Much faster than he looks, and those front-line cuts transfer well into space, where he can be a real problem for linebackers and defensive backs. Tough to outrun once he builds up a head of steam. Especially powerful on zone slides, where he can go with the momentum and blast through to the second level. Good receiver with a decent grasp of routes common to his position.

Cons: Runs with an upright stance that is generally a problem for power backs in the NFL, and his stature as a man among boys from a physical perspective could have his rushing power oversold on college tape. Though Leshoure can bop off initial tackles, he doesn't possess the kind of consistent leg drive that will allow him to fight for extra yards after he's wrapped up.

Serious bursts and dips in production from game to game points to an inconsistency question that still needs to be answered. Missed time in 2008 after his jaw was broken in a fight with a teammate, and was suspended for violating team rules in 2009. Really caught on with a different level of focus in 2010, though. Still learning the finer points of blocking.

Conclusion: Straight power backs are a dime a dozen, but Leshoure has a far more interesting skill set. Though he has the kind of physical stature common to the LeGarrette Blounts of the world, Leshoure is more of a hybrid player in that he brings a burst at the first level but doesn't really push defenders back.

The concerns are two for him, and one can be addressed at the scouting combine - if he runs in the mid-fours in the 40-yard dash, he'll be seen as a Ryan Mathews type and most likely be taken in the mid-first round. If he flashes a slower time, that could fold into the other potential issue - that his lack of post-contact power will be more of a problem in the NFL. Few players in this draft have more riding on their combine and Pro Day performances. The Lynch comparison bets the over, but Leshoure seems to be on a pretty serious upswing.

NFL Comparison: Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks

The Shutdown 40: #24 - Jake Locker, QB, Washington

We continue our series with Washington quarterback Jake Locker. Thought to be a potential top-three pick had he come out for the draft after his junior season of 2009, Locker stayed with the Huskies for his senior to make two goals come true - engineer a winning season, and be part of a team that won a bowl game. Just two year after the Huskies put up an 0-12 season under Tyrone Willingham, there was a 7-6 turnaround with Steve Sarkisian and a victory over heavily favored Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl.

In Year 2 of Sarkisian's pro-style offense, Locker learned in college what he would have learned in a much tougher fashion had he come out after the 2009 season - doing more than one-read-and-run at any level is a tough go when you don't have a fully-developed array of skills. In his 39-game Washington career, Locker completed 619 passes in 1148 attempts for 7,639 yards, 53 touchdowns, and 35 interceptions. He also ran for 1,939 yards and 29 touchdowns on 441 attempts.

Pros: From the snap to the throw, Locker's mechanics are as well-developed as those of any quarterback in this draft class. Drops back quickly and smoothly in three- five- and seven-step drops and transitions well to get the right leverage for the throw. Has an array of playfakes, and uses play action well, Compact delivery gives him the timing advantage. Absolutely has the arm to make any throw - Locker was drafted twice by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim as a pitcher whose fastball has been clocked at 95 mph, and signed a deal in 2009 that let him continue to play football.

Supremely gifted as a runner in a Steve Young sense - not only can he get outside to make the sprint option throw; he's also a legitimate threat to break tackles downfield and make considerable gains. Far more accurate and comfortable on the run as a passer. High-character player who is very coachable, though the results don't always reflect it.

Cons: Wildly inconsistent as a passer, Locker can go from truly magnificent to hide-your-eyes awful and back again in the same game - sometimes, in the same series. Was asked to carry the load as a pseudo-spread quarterback under Tyrone Willingham, showed promise under Steve Sarkisian in their first year together, but regressed in a lot of areas in 2010, which could indicate that he still has major gaps in the understanding of more complex offenses.

Locker telegraphs his reads far too often and will lock on to his first read far too easily. While he has decent functional mobility in the pocket, he's still learning the finer points of being a pocket passer - he tends to get jumpy when he can't bail out and his decision-making reflects that, as does his accuracy. Showed the same kinds of inconsistencies at the Senior Bowl that he did throughout his Washington career.

Conclusion: The McNabb comparison is a point of reference for estimated NFL completion percentage (McNabb's was 49.1% in 1999), but Locker is as tough to place with a current NFL player as any in this draft. The chasm between his raw physical tools and inconsistency as a passer leaves him as a project quarterback well worth the risk, but with mechanical danger signs all over the place. Not a guy you're going to want to see as an NFL starter right away, Locker will have to sit and learn at the NFL level - and that process may be lengthened if he's drafted by a team with a precision passing offense. He might be better off with an offensive coordinator who prefers a vertical attack.

NFL Comparison: Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles (1999)

2011 NFL Draft: Ranking top 50 prospects heading into combine

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

One week before the NFL Scouting Combine begins in Indianapolis and it's time to revisit the draft board. Several players improved their grade with impressive performance at events such as the Senior Bowl and Shrine Game. Others were passed by and now rank lower.

Once again it looks like the first two rounds will be heavy with quality defensive line prospects. Twenty-one players who can make a living on the defensive line grace our top 50, a number that's sure to stand out in April.

An interesting side note is that no quarterback ranks among our top 10, although many mock drafts project two to be selected in the first handful of picks. More than anything else, this illustrates the dire need many franchises have at the position and, as witnessed in past drafts, the willingness to roll the dice on a lower rated prospect in the hopes of developing stability underneath center.

Here's a look at the top 50 draft prospects as we head towards the combine:

(note: I have extracted the offensive players. For a complete look at all 50 prospects, click on the link)

1) A.J. Green/WR/Georgia: Green is a game-breaking receiver with the skills to be a No. 1 wideout at the next level. He does not possess Calvin Johnson ability but is the best and safest prospect available in April.

11) Blaine Gabbert/QB/Missouri: The Missouri junior is a strong-armed QB, but will need time to acclimate himself to a disciplined NFL passing system.

13) Cam Newton/QB/Auburn: Newton is all the rage outside of scouting circles but NFL decision-makers are not yet convinced. There's no doubting his physical skills, but many wonder how long it will take Newton to develop into a disciplined NFL-style passer.

14) Mark Ingram/RB/Alabama: The '09 Heisman Trophy winner was hobbled by preseason knee surgery and lost an edge on his game last season. Still, Ingram is one of the few complete backs available in this year's draft.

17) Julio Jones/WR/Alabama: Jones was a dominant presence from Day 1 at Alabama. Despite his enormous talent he does not consistently play like a number one receiver, which concerns NFL scouts.

24) Ryan Mallett/QB/Arkansas: Mallett is a pure pocket passer and enters April's draft with possibly the strongest arm of any quarterback available. He needs a lot of work on his fundamentals and decision-making.

32) Jonathan Baldwin/WR/Pittsburgh: The next top receiver from the Pittsburgh program, Baldwin is a tall, imposing wideout who takes over contests when focused on his game.

36) Torrey Smith/WR/Maryland: Smith is one of the few game-breaking receivers available in April. He needs work on the details of his game yet comes with a high upside.

38) Jake Locker/QB/Washington: Locker's physical skills and leadership qualities are early round-one caliber. His poor mechanics, accuracy and often suspect decision-making drops him a full round.

39) Titus Young/WR/Boise State: Young is drawing comparisons to DeSean Jackson of the Philadelphia Eagles. He's a play-making receiver who also breaks games open as a return specialist.

40) Kendall Hunter/RB/Oklahoma State: Hunter lacks the size to be a feature runner in the NFL but has the makings of a Leon Washington-type player.

41) Colin Kaepernick/QB/Nevada: Kaepernick answered the call at the Senior Bowl and improved his draft stock by a full round. The combine will give him an opportunity to prove it was no fluke.

43) Leonard Hankerson/WR/Miami-Fla: The Miami senior comes off a career season and has positioned himself as the top senior wideout in the draft.

46) Jerrel Jernigan/WR/Troy State: Jernigan is a tremendous skill player who positively affects the game as a receiver, return specialist and on the occasions he's asked to run reverses.

50) Kyle Rudolph/TE/Notre Dame: Rudolph sits atop a very weak class of tight ends. He's a terrific blocker and solid pass catcher but not a consistent downfield playmaker.

Draft Winds: Which offensive player is best draft fit?

By Dave Hyde February 1, 2011

(this article is a look at the offensive players the Dolphins might select, and I have pulled some of the comments on the key players mentioned)

Jake Locker is something of an x-factor in that he has great athletic ability, but is very inaccurate and has shown virtually no improvement as a passer despite starting for four years, two of which were in a pro style offense. I don’t currently view Locker as an option for Miami in Round 1 mainly because of his huge inaccuracies but also for a number of other reasons; I watched every throw he made in 2010 and whilst I don’t think he’s beyond repair, I think he may be three years away from starting successfully and he’s going to need patience the likes of which is rare to find in the modern game because mechanically he’s pretty sound. And when you’re mechanically sound with a strong arm, usually you’re accurate. It’s when you’re mechanically unsound that the inaccuracies usually follow: not stepping into throws or rolling your hip or if your delivery point is wrong, etc.

What Locker does time and time and time again is throw the pass that’s in the playbook, that’s drawn up on the chalkboard. Which is fine until you realise that the play doesn’t work the way it’s drawn up because there are numerous factors that mean the transition can never be perfect, mostly with people wearing different coloured jerseys. You see on film Locker throwing to a point at a set time in his head that he believes his man will be at. But his receiver may have been knocked off his route. He may have slipped at the line of scrimmage, he may have been bumped at the top of his stem. That doesn’t matter to Jake. He’ll throw to where the chalkboard says. It’s going to be a hard habit to break and for a coaching staff and GM that essentially need to make the playoffs in 2011 or look for new work, you can’t put your eggs into a basket marked Locker, at least not at 15.

Gabbert to me is the best QB in this draft. He has a terrific arm, excellent mobility, he reads the field well and he’s made good improvement from 2009/10. He shows outstanding ability in the pocket to extend plays, beautiful touch on balls and excellent ball placement. It can be something of an adventure deep down the field because he’s no Aaron Rodgers when it comes to accuracy on the long ball, but the kid has ability. However I expect him to come off the board in the first five picks and potentially first overall. As this process rolls on, we’ll bring you interviews with players who played against a number of the top QB prospects in this draft to give you an inside the helmet look at what each one brings to the table. One of those will be Gabbert.

Ryan Mallett is a very interesting proposition. Of the big three, his accuracy would be the biggest concern, especially when pressured. Take the Alabama loss, he looked like a Hall of Famer as the Razorbacks built a big lead but when Kirby Smart brought more edge pressure, mechanically he fell to pieces and his accuracy went with it. He has a monster arm, does a terrific job pre-snap in changing protections and if given the time, will stand tall in the pocket and rifle strikes. His accuracy numbers went up from sophomore to junior years – 59% to 67% - and I think he will probably go off the board in the top 10-15, although he’s a risk and as Chris will doubtless touch upon in time, there were some very ugly rumors about some off-the-field concerns floating around at the Shrine practices.

The third of the big three is the QB who will split opinion most but who has the biggest upside and that’s Cam Newton of Auburn. There is a long way to go in this process and there may also be some ugly skeletons in his closet that affect his final grade. But when scouts really sit down and watch his tape, they will see that Newton has terrific potential and is a lot less raw than some experts claim. I've watched a lot of college football over the years, from the mid 1980's. Charlie Ward is the best college QB I've ever seen and I watched every snap he took at FSU. Newton is better. He's like a bigger, faster Tommie Frazier but with legitimate passing skills. I've watched Auburn 10 times this season and his game on game improvement is remarkable. But what's so interesting about Newton is that he has solid mechanics. You’re not going to have to break him down and build him up again like Denver did with Tim Tebow. He's very accurate in the short to intermediate range but he’s also very accurate deeper down the field; he doesn't lose accuracy the further he goes.

Kirby Smart's Alabama defense shut down his run capabilities and the Tide jumped out to a 24-3 lead at the half. So Auburn just threw it and they came back on Newton’s shoulders and won. He's a leader. A winner - in HS, part of a National Championship at Florida, a JUCO National Title at Blinn and 14-0 at Auburn and a National Championship ring. He lost once at Blinn. Then he lost 3 times in HS. He wins. I have NO problem in saying that Newton is a better NFL prospect than Tebow. Mechanically, with accuracy, with mobility. He needs to use his feet and his hips more when he throws the ball and Terry Bradshaw believes he needs to work on his wrist action. But for me he has tremendous potential.

Another QB who figures to split opinion-makers is Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick, who had an excellent Senior Bowl and who was a player Miami showed a great deal of interest in (along with the Redskins). Bill Curry called him the ‘greatest freshman QB he’d ever seen’ after his first season at Nevada and in four years of starting he’s put up some magical numbers. He capped off his glittering WAC career by bringing the Wolfpack back to defeat Boise State and he possesses some fascinating tools; a howitzer of an arm, tremendous running ability and skill to move the pocket, as well as improved accuracy. His delivery is unusual, his mechanics need work and he looks like a deer on roller skates but he does possess upside and is a terrific kid. He has the potential to be a mobile Philip Rivers.

Colin wowed NFL scouts and players at the 2010 Manning Summer Camp and he was similarly impressive in Mobile, moving into the early 2nd, late 1st area at worst. If Miami choose to deal down to regain that 2nd rounder, then Kaepernick could be a legitimate target. Given that the shotgun is more popular than ever in the NFL, it’s worth bearing in mind that the transition won’t be as great as some people think. Chris put together some numbers for the QB’s that played significantly this year for teams in the playoffs, Peyton Manning attempted 76% of his passes out of the gun this year. Aaron Rodgers 65%. Tom Brady 64%. Kevin Kolb 64%. Ben Roethlisberger 62%. Michael Vick 61%. Matt Ryan 58%. Drew Brees 57%. Matt Hasselbeck 56%. Matt Cassel 52%. Joe Flacco 46%. Mark Sanchez 44%. Jay Cutler 15%. Aside from Cutler's anomalous reading, the shotgun is generally used on AT LEAST half of all pass snaps in the NFL today. Think about that.

“We’re looking for a tailback that’s productive, can pass protect and creates yards on his own. You’ve got to catch, block, get yards on your own and trust the play.”

Under ‘Mark Ingram – TB – Alabama’ you will find those words in the dictionary. As one Heisman winner – Ricky Williams likely shuffles out – you could make a very strong case to replace him with another, the 2009 recipient. Although the Dolphins intend to bring one of Williams and Ronnie Brown back, Ricky’s end-of-season comments about Sparano and the offense are unlikely to mean that it’s he that returns. The run game, like the entire offense, struggled with a lack of speed and a lack of big plays. Not helped by tired play calling and a really mediocre offensive line, the inability to create from either back was very disappointing. Williams began to show his age and Brown reverted to dancing at the line of scrimmage, showing that perhaps some of the injuries were beginning to catch up with him.

Ingram himself struggled with some niggling injuries in 2010 and couldn’t quite replicate his form of a year ago, however, he hits the hole quickly, is decisive in his decision making, shows elite vision both at the line of scrimmage and the second level and whilst he won’t blaze a trail in the forty, he has more than enough speed to break long gainers. When you watch him on tape you can see him running away from or maintaining the cushion from legitimate 4.4 defensive backs. I would draft Mark in R1 and be very, very happy about it.

There are downsides; because he breaks so many tackles, he's going to take a pounding - that's a concern. Because he has such great vision, he cuts at remarkable angles and he bounce cuts - jumps and cuts - which puts tremendous pressure, some 600lbs, on those ankles every time he does that. That might be an issue down the road. However he’s a very fine football player.

Is there another back worthy of a first round grade? Illinois’s Mikel Leshoure is one option, but he’s not a particularly good blocker either in pass pro or down the field when he runs routes. But he’s an excellent runner. A big body at 6’0 and around 230lbs, he has the size to carry the load although 15 would probably be a little high for him. Interestingly, the NFL Advisory Board gave him a 4-7th round grade which seems ludicrous.

If you’re looking for speed, then Virginia Tech’s Ryan Williams is an interesting proposition. Undersized in the early 200lb range, he is adept at bucking it up between the tackles and has shown during his career that he has everything you look for at the position.

He struggled with injury throughout much of 2010 but flip on a tape of his sophomore campaign and what you see is one eye opening performance after another, flashing great vision, power, pad level and home run ability.

Oklahoma’s DeMarco Murray had an outstanding campaign, although he makes most of his money running to the perimeter. He has outstanding hands and is a very smart football player, however I don’t see him as a proposition for 15, although if Miami dealt down then he could be in the mix. I do have some concerns over his toughness in terms of staying healthy and his ability between the tackles.

Jordan Todman of UCONN is probably a second rounder, although he possesses the sort of explosion that Miami is looking for on offense. You would have to question whether, at 195lbs, he has the frame to stand up as a feature back.

Georgia’s AJ Green will be long gone. An elite receiver with outstanding hands, route running ability, size and speed, he fits into that Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson type of receiver. After Green, his fellow SEC receiving mate Julio Jones of Alabama bears strong consideration. He’s an interesting player because when you watch him, he doesn’t always block well, he doesn’t always run clean routes – he will telegraph some of his shorter moves – and he doesn’t look that fast. And yet he can clear paths with his blocking, he’s always open and he runs away from people. I think his 40 time is going to be very interesting because Miami doesn’t want two Brandon Marshalls on their hands in terms of players who can’t get open deep.

The same rule of thumb applies with Jonathan Baldwin, a gifted player whose 2009 season was about as superior as it gets. Chris and I believed that he was NFL-ready as a sophomore, especially as Pitt were assisted by super soph Dion Lewis at TB and serviceable QB play from Bill Stull.

In 2010 his numbers fell as did the entire offensive production – Lewis’s numbers went from 1,700+ to under a thousand – and Baldwin’s attitude became an issue. He looked like he was dogging it at times and didn’t flash the ability that made him so fearful for opponents. He has great hands, body control, will go up and make every catch and can get deep with reported 4.37 speed on a 6’5, 230lb body. If you threw on the 2009 film, you’d be thinking you’d be getting the steal of the century in the mid portion of round 1.

Two speedier guys who could work themselves into Miami’s eye are Torrey Smith of Maryland and Titus Young of Boise. Both have return skills and Young had a very good week of practice in Mobile. He has elite speed and does a terrific job as a route runner; he rarely has to gear down into and out of his breaks making him very hard to cover and he uses his body very well to fake out a corner. He’s rail thin at just 174 lbs, but he has legitimate game breaking ability. I wouldn’t pick him at 15, but if we traded down and picked up a second then he’d be in serious consideration.

Smith is a junior who measures in at 6’1, 205 and runs a legitimate 4.35. He too is a threat to go to the house with every touch. He’s also a very good return man, taking two kicks back for six as a sophomore and he holds the ACC career return yardage marker. If he runs as well as expected at the Combine, he could find himself in or around the top 16 picks. Miami has a choice to make; if it takes a WR does it go for the bigger, more physical talents of a Jones or a Baldwin? Or does it look at more of a speedster with return skills, knowing it’s more recent history with Ted Ginn? Look out for Smith. He’s not run many complex routes and he can body catch a little too much, but his acceleration is frightening and when you have 3 guys in Marshall, Bess and Hartline who are very precise, it’s nice to mix in something of a wildcard. That could be the Terp.

One other name to bear in mind if we trade down is Hurricane Leonard Hankerson, who was another who had a terrific week in Mobile. Hank is just a really good player who does a lot of great work towards the top of his stem and can accelerate out of his cuts with terrific pace. He has good hands, is well sized and if he runs well then he’s going to be a legitimate target in the bottom half of Round 1.

This isn’t a great field for TE’s this year with value coming in later rounds. There is only one tight end who experts believe is worth considering in R1 and that’s Kyle Rudolph of Notre Dame. To me, he’s one of the single most overrated prospects in the draft. He’s slow, sluggish, rounds off his routes and looks distinctly average. It would be a massive disappointment to me if Miami went to this particular well in the opening round because there’s much greater value with what I believe to be better players, later on.

Hyde: Draft Winds, Week 1, looks at Shrine Bowl

By Dave Hyde January 26, 2011

Selected Player Excerpts:

My second overall rated talent at Shrine practices was a prospect that the Dolphins should have more interest in. He is Syracuse RB Delone Carter, and he weighed in at a brick house 5’9.5” and 225 lbs. The weigh-in and chiseled physique were no surprise, as his coaches had previously bragged that he was ‘built like a greek god’. Louisville coaches referred to him as the toughest runner they faced all year, which is saying a lot since to that point they had faced the likes of Kentucky’s Derrick Locke, Oregon State’s Jacquizz Rodgers, Cincinnati’s Isaiah Pead, Connecticut’s Jordan Toddman and Pittsburgh’s Dion Lewis. His strength as a player is his ability to get through his cuts in the backfield quickly, effectively anticipating the hole and squeezing through. He has great balance, and he explodes well after a cut.

He’s a tough-nosed runner that looks to deliver the blow and is comfortable between the tackles, with a tendency to cut into the action rather than away from it. He has the speed to get to the outside, though he is not an overall fast player. He has system versatility, as he can run downhill through the holes in plays featuring man blocking, or be patient and wait for the cutback on zone plays. One thing he showed this week that turned some heads was the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield consistently. I did not see him drop a single ball. He had soft hands and a natural ability to run after the catch. During the game, he ran 11 times for 54 yards with 1 TD and received the award for Offensive MVP. In interviews, he was a very humble, well-spoken young man. He did well for his Draft stock last week, and may still be improving it this week as the runners in the Senior Bowl all measure out much less stout than him.

One player that came into the week rated highly but who disappointed me was QB Pat Devlin of Delaware.

A former high recruit, he transferred to Delaware from Penn State when Joe Paterno made the switch to his spread option offense and it became apparent that Daryll Clark fit that style of attack better than a dropback guy like Devlin. His ability to go through an entire game throwing just one or two uncatchable balls reminded me of Marc Bulger. He understands his offense and how to find the openings in a defense. He regularly gets through to his third and fourth reads, and he uses his eyes to draw defenders away from where he wants to go with the ball. His release is quick, yet over the top, which is unique. His feet set up quickly in the pocket, and he uses them to throw the ball accurately.

Mechanically, my only real criticism is that he doesn’t point his toe when he’s throwing the ball. He does not possess a naturally big arm. He can achieve the necessary velocity on his perimeter throws, but he needs his feet under him and a full follow through in order to spin the ball on those throws.

However, his problem as a quarterback is not mechanical, nor physical. His problem is mental. He is not an aggressive player, nor does he show confidence in his arm. He regularly rushes through his progressions without even giving his deeper receiving options the chance to make their break or get open. His eye use is therefore a necessity, not a weapon. Without his ability to draw defenders off the ball he wouldn’t be able to get away with as many short passes as he does. The NFL quarterback has to own the 25 yard throw, and by that I mean balls that travel 25 yards through the air, not necessarily 25 yards up the field. The football field is 53.3 yards wide, and if you’re sitting between the hash marks and you want to throw the ball straight to the sideline without even going forward a single yard, you’ve got to throw the ball at least 25 yards. About 60 to 80 percent of Devlin’s throws only went about 14 to 22 yards through the air. That was the range at which he was comfortable. That is unusually myopic.

In Orlando last week, he was asked to throw the ball deeper and wider. His accuracy faltered. He also seemed to have trouble finding options while dropping back from Center. Issues that he had shown in the past being unable to handle pocket pressure, also showed up. Two people that I spoke with that did interviews with Devlin agreed that he was a little chippy, a poor interview.

Overall, I do not think the Dolphins would be wise to hitch their wagons to Patrick Devlin. He deserves his mid-round grade, which means he is a pretty low percentage player, and if you need a quarterback then you should not pin your hopes on low percentages (unless you want another ten years of heartache).

The Dolphins are looking for someone to stretch the field vertically. I was not particularly impressed with this Shrine roster’s group of receivers, overall. I thought that Cincinnati’s Armon Binns and LSU’s Terrence Toliver were the best, though I suppose some were fans of Stanford’s Ryan Whalen. Toliver may fit what the Dolphins are looking for, as he measured out 6’3.5” and 211 lbs with 10” hands, and he is rumored to potentially break below the 4.50 barrier in the speed department. He was the most polished receiver in Orlando during the week and he particularly caught my eye with how gracefully and quickly he could get upfield and through his cuts. However, he is not a physical player.

I happen to know that the Dolphins talked to every single Tight End during the week, just as they spoke with every single Running Back. Their needs are apparent. There were actually four Tight Ends in Orlando worth investigating. Two are former basketball players, USC’s Jordan Cameron and Portland State’s Julius Thomas. The latter was even drawing some comparisons among the scouts to Jermichael Finley. I am not sure I see that, but I do know he could be difficult to stick to over the middle of the field and he wasn’t as raw as you would expect coming from Portland State as a basketball convert. He caught a touchdown during the game on a pick/rub play, and subsequently caught the 2-point conversion.

The smoothest and most balanced tight end in Orlando was Nevada’s Virgil Green. He walked in a little over 6’3” and about 250 lbs. He is an accomplished blocker as both an in-line player and an H-Back. He has the feet and awareness to find someone to block after covering a lot of green, which isn’t as common as you’d hope. He can get up the field in a hurry and shows the balance necessary to catch the ball and run with it after the catch. He is not a physical dynamo though, and does not do anything exciting or explosive at the top of the route or after the catch.

The guy who really knocked peoples’ socks off a little during the game itself was Texas’ Greg Smith. At 6’3.5” and 244 lbs, he is also more of an H-Back, but during the game he found the seam several times and was able to haul in 4 catches for 77 yards. He was the most impressive of the East tight ends during the week of practice, but that really was not saying much, as I thought all three West tight ends looked better than the East tight ends. Smith was really not a very strong blocker.

Don Banks>INSIDE THE NFL

Excerpts:

The book on Jake Locker

I spent some time talking with Washington quarterback Jake Locker recently, and he doesn't duck the issue of his accuracy problems. Locker has struggled mightily at times while throwing in the pocket. Outside of the pocket, on the move, it's a different story. That dichotomy has made it difficult for NFL scouts to get a handle on his draft grade. Some still have him as a first-round talent, while others see the accuracy issue as his fatal flaw, and have him dropping into the second round.

Locker says his inaccurate throwing results from his faulty footwork, and believes it's fixable.

"When you watch the film, when the lower half of my body is in the right spot, the ball goes where I want it to,'' he said. "When it's not right, I have trouble. It's a matter of getting that footwork down and learning it and making it part of my game. But it is something I can work on and improve.''

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Thursday he's not ready to knock Locker's grade down to second-round status. He called Locker "an incredible athlete,'' and expects he'll turn in a 40 time in the range of 4.5 or better at next week's scouting combine. Mayock is intrigued with how the No. 25 Seahawks might evaluate Locker's game, given their need at quarterback.

"There is a guy right down the street [from Seattle] who has first-round ability, but hasn't always shown that,'' Mayock said in a conference call. "It would be interesting to see what their evaluation of Jake Locker is because that's a really talented kid who has first-round potential, but has struggled in the pocket. A lot of people are writing him off, and I'm not. I think we have to do a bunch of homework on him.''

The conventional wisdom is that Locker waited a year too long to enter the NFL, going back for his senior season at Washington when he likely would have been in competition to be last year's No. 1 overall pick. A poor senior season probably cost him millions, especially given that this year's draft may end up being the first under a new NFL rookie wage scale. But if Locker second guesses himself, he hides it well. I asked him what he will tell NFL talent evaluators when they ask him about his costly decision.

"My answer will be the honest truth, that I stayed in school because I had something I wanted to accomplish as a player and student,'' Locker said. "I got my degree in December, and we went to and won a bowl game in my senior year. I'm very proud of that and I'll hold onto it the rest of my life, and nobody can take that away from me. Life is not all about money. Money couldn't buy me the experience I got to experience last year, and that's what's important to me.''

The problem with Ryan Mallet

It's pretty apparent from listening to Mayock -- whose recent track record suggests he has a better handle on first-round quarterbacks than any other draft analyst going these days -- that he's not the biggest fan of Arkansas's Ryan Mallett. The inconsistency factor troubles Mayock.

"I didn't say I have a first-round grade on him,'' Mayock said, when questioned about whether Mallett can overcome the concerns about him with a strong showing in Indianapolis. "I said that I've got four [quarterbacks] with first-round ability. To me there's a distinction there, and people just assume when I say that I think he's a first-round guy.

"Here's what Ryan Mallet is. Ryan Mallett has unbelievable, God-given ability to throw a football. And when he has clear pocket and clear vision, there is nobody in the game better.'' But Mayock went on to illustrate back-to-back plays this season against Georgia in which Mallett made the spectacular 35-yard throw look easy on the first snap, and then made a horrible decision and a bad pass on a simple 7-yard hitch on the next snap.

"That's the problem with this kid,'' Mayock said. "Every time I get excited, he does something from a decision-making or an accuracy perspective that bothers me. The common denominator is when he goes bad, it's because of pressure in the pocket. When he can't step up, when he can't see, when he doesn't have clear vision, I believe his production goes way down. Having said all of those things, I would be very concerned about taking him in the first round.''

The Shutdown 40: #19 - Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

By Doug Farrar

We continue our series with Maryland wide receiver Torrey Smith. In three years and 37 games on the field with the Terrapins, Smith caught 150 passes for 2,205 yards and 19 touchdowns. He also returned 120 kickoffs for 2,939 yards and three touchdowns. Smith set the ACC career record for kick return yardage (2,983), and the single-season mark for receiving touchdowns at Maryland with 12. He also put up more total yards (5,183) than anyone in school history.

Pros: Runs as fast in a straight line as anyone in this draft class - difficult for all but the quickest cornerbacks to trail on deep sideline routes. Smith has tremendous quickness to get past defenders and upfield when crossing and looking for openings on slants; it's tough for anyone to keep up with him in space. He's more susceptible to man coverage because he's not a developed route-runner, but he just blows through zones and becomes a real problem tor teams looking to have their linebackers and backs move to and sit in areas.

Can turn the edge on the sideline and get vertical as quickly as you'd like. Impressive ability to time his jumps to catch the ball even when he's running full speed. Incendiary kick returner who set an ACC return yardage record in 2008 and broke it in 2009. More physical than you might think given his size (6-foot-1, 205 pounds) and speed; he doesn't develop alligator arms in traffic and he can give a good stiffarm to get separation after the catch. Overcame a difficult childhood to gain his degree, and his coaches can't say enough good things about him.

Cons: Needs a lot of work on his routes - especially those routes, like comebacks and digs, requiring tight and immediate cuts. Tends to round off his cuts and make those routes far less defined. Doesn't consistently turn quickly upfield after facing the quarterback on quick passes and can get poleaxed by oncoming defenders as a result.

Conclusion: As with most pure burner receivers, Smith got by with speed at the NCAA level, and he'll be asked to do more against better and more complex coverages in the NFL. But his straight-line speed isn't his only characteristic - he's a somewhat physical player for his size and seems to have the physical talent to develop into a more polished route-runner - some of his rudimentary skills in this area are simply because he could blast past people before. Smith is expected to run under 4.4 in the 40-yard dash, and if he matches his speed with a plus performance in all receiver drills, his spot as the third-most coveted receiver in this draft class behind A.J. Green and Julio Jones could be secured.

NFL Comparison: Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia Eagles

Combine could be extremely important for 2011 QB class

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

The 2011 quarterback class features several intriguing possibilities, but lacks a definitive franchise player.

Although Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett are possible first-round hopefuls, the leader of the pack has yet to be defined.

While each possesses the natural talent to lead a franchise, questions persist about their fundamentals and ability to transition to the pro game.

For Gabbert and Newton, the transition from the spread offense to a pro-style system will dominate the conversation. Both directed wide-open offenses that extensively featured the shotgun formation, and their inexperience working from under center could pose major issues down the road.

Unlike taking direct snaps while facing the coverage, the process of executing conventional drops with play-action forces a quarterback to lose sight of the defense before finding his reads. Even though it seems like such a minor detail, this is a pivotal part of the drop-back game, and teams have to be convinced that Gabbert and Newton have the ability to operate in that kind of system.

When looking at Mallett and Locker, their biggest concerns revolve around inconsistent fundamentals and mechanics. Although their strong arms fit the bill, their undisciplined footwork frequently results in errant throws.

For Locker, in particular, his inability to play with proper balance or body control has hindered his effectiveness. He has struggled with his accuracy, and his disappointing completion percentage has raised red flags for some evaluators.

With so much uncertainty in the group, scouts are looking at the next tier of passers in hopes of uncovering a gem. This has pushed the likes of Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, Iowa's Ricky Stanzi and TCU's Andy Dalton up draft boards.

Given the quarterback's importance and the number of teams searching for a viable option, let's take a deeper look at the top five prospects at the position heading into the NFL Scouting Combine:

1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri: He has emerged after posting a pair of 3,000-yard seasons. He is big (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) with outstanding arm strength and touch, and is capable of making all of the throws required in the pro game. His quick release and compact throwing motion enable him to get the ball out against pressure. He is regarded as a sound decision-maker, and his 40:16 touchdown-to-interception ratio backs up that assertion. While there are major concerns about his ability to transition from a spread offense to a more pro-style attack, his natural talent rates off the charts. He could emerge as the No. 1 quarterback prospect heading into the final phase of the evaluation period if he's able to accomplish a few things at the combine. He has to demonstrate good footwork, quickness and body control, while executing throws from three-, five- and seven step drops. He must also convince evaluators that he has the mental acumen to handle the complexities of running a pro system.

Possible landing spots: Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, Minnesota.

2. Cam Newton, Auburn: He is one of the most intriguing prospects due to his remarkable combination of size, speed and athleticism. He is coming off a sensational season at Auburn, where he led the SEC in rushing yards, amassed 30 touchdowns through the air and won a BCS National Championship. As a passer, he shows arm strength and touch, and has solid mechanics for a young player. He gets the ball out of his hand quickly on short and intermediate throws, while also displaying good accuracy when going downfield. He has the ability to drop the ball in the bucket on deep sideline tosses. Even though he has struggled at times with his accuracy from the pocket and on the move, his issues are correctable and not viewed as long-term impediments to his potential. If he can continue to develop his footwork and fundamentals, it would help his transition from a spread quarterback to a pro-style passer. He must also display the work ethic and study habits expected of a franchise quarterback. That package could push Newton up draft boards.

Possible Landing Spots: Carolina, Buffalo, Tennessee, Washington and Miami.

3. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: He has seemingly flown under the radar, but his exceptional size (6-6, 238 pounds), arm strength and skills have put him squarely on the map with so many teams desperately seeking a solution at quarterback. He is well schooled in the pro game following a two-year stint under Bobby Petrino, who has NFL coaching experience, and that time could give him a leg up on the competition. Mallett understands how to run the game from the line of scrimmage, and his ability to make proper checks helped him exploit blitz pressure for big gains. As a classic drop-back passer with a good pocket presence, Mallett has the potential to excel in the vertical passing game. He throws the deep ball with exceptional touch and accuracy, and his penchant for pushing the ball deep is rare for a young quarterback. Although questions regarding his maturity and work ethic will need to be addressed during the interview process, his skill set will warrant a first-round grade on most boards.

Possible Landing Spots: Miami, Minnesota, Seattle, Cincinnati.

4. Jake Locker, Washington: He has been watched by scouts the past few years due to his extraordinary athleticism, movement skills and potential. As a dual-threat at quarterback, he shows promise working on the perimeter on bootlegs and movement passes. He throws the ball with good zip on the move and has above average accuracy when he keeps his mechanics in check. However, he often falls apart mechanically when working from the pocket. His accuracy issues stem from his inability to come to balance before he throws. The issues surfaced during his week at the Senior Bowl, when he had difficulty stringing together completions in drills. While Locker still rates as a top-40 talent, he will need to start showing gradual improvement as a passer to remain as one of the top quarterbacks in the class.

Possible Landing Spots: Washington, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle.

5. Christian Ponder, Florida State: After falling out of the limelight following an injury-plagued senior season, Ponder has re-entered the conversation following his solid week at the Senior Bowl. He is a classic drop-back passer, but has good mobility and athleticism within the pocket. He displays good set-up quickness when working off conventional three-, five- and seven-step drops, and routinely delivers the ball on time. As a passer, he demonstrates arm strength and touch on intermediate and deep throws. He also shows good awareness and anticipation when leading receivers into open windows. With the majority of pro offenses employing some form of a West Coast system, Ponder will experience a late surge in his stock when coaches take a closer look at the game tape. If he checks out medically, expect to see Ponder drafted sooner than anticipated.

Possible Landing Spots: San Francisco, Seattle, Washington.

Ingram remains cream of RB crop heading into combine

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

The NFL has quietly shifted away from the featured runner to a league that utilizes committee backfields that share the workload.

The use of multiple backs has changed the way that scouts evaluate the position.

Rather than search for the durable workhorse capable of logging 300 or more carries, teams are looking to add complementary pieces. The duties are split evenly among two or more runners, and the production of the group often outweighs rushing titles or 100-yard games for an individual.

Given the dramatic increase in specialization, teams are willing to take smaller backs in the early rounds, provided they bring exceptional skills to the table. Traits like explosiveness, receiving skills and multi-positional flexibility have created more opportunities for diminutive backs.

There are a host of shorter backs that occupy the top of this year's prospect list.

Mark Ingram is the headliner, and he is one of the few runners who has the potential to carry the load on a full-time basis. While his height ranks below typical pro standards, his thick, stocky build allows him to be an effective runner in a power-based offense. He carried the ball 271 times (for 1,658 yards) during the Crimson Tide's national championship run in 2009, which included seven games with 20 or more rush attempts.

Ryan Williams and Kendall Hunter are also diminutive backs, but both have shown big-time ability during their college careers. Williams, who rushed for 1,655 yards in 2009, was limited by injuries during his final season, but his 30 rushing touchdowns in only 23 career games suggest that he has a nose for pay dirt.

Hunter also possesses a nose for the goal line, but his skills truly shine when he gets into the open field. He shows a combination of power and elusiveness when confronting tacklers, and he finds a way to pick up extra yardage after contact.

Mikel Leshoure and Daniel Thomas step to the forefront among the bigger backs. Both are physical runners with outstanding quickness, vision and cutback ability. They have the size to carry the load 20-25 times, and their receiving ability increases their value.

DeMarco Murray, Jacquizz Rodgers, Jordan Todman and Shane Vereen also possess intriguing skill sets, so there is no shortage of intriguing running back prospects.

1. Mark Ingram, Alabama: He didn't post sensational numbers as a junior, but is still regarded as the top running back. He is a stocky power runner with outstanding running skills and instincts. He is explosive out of his stance, and flashes a burst getting to the hole. He shows good acceleration while working to the second level, and his patience, vision and cutback talents allow him to gain positive yards when creases close quickly. Ingram uses those same skills to turn the corner on outside runs. He cleverly sets up his blocks on the edge, and uses a sneaky burst to get to the perimeter. He might not possess exceptional speed, but his creativity in the open field leads to big runs and allows him to deliver explosive runs (runs over 20 yards) on a consistent basis. For a team looking for a dependable workhorse with the skills to excel as a pro, Ingram should rank at the top of the list.

2. Mikel Leshoure, Illinois: He is a versatile workhorse with the skills to shine in a pro-style offense. He exhibits outstanding balance, body control and vision. He is nifty getting into creases in traffic, and his nimble feet allow him to slither through to the next level while avoiding contact. Although his explosiveness will lead some to label him as a finesse runner, he is hard-nosed and willing to finish off runs in a physical manner. Leshoure shows good hands and natural receiving skills when incorporated into the passing game. He is capable of running the route tree from the running back spot, but excels most when used on slow screens. His patience and crafty open-field running skills routinely lead to big plays. If Leshoure tests well in workouts, he could earn a late first-round grade by the end of the evaluation process.

3. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State: He is a big, bruising runner with an old-school style that is suited for the pro game. He excels running between the tackles, and flashes outstanding balance, body control and quickness while running downhill. He has a knack for getting skinny in the hole, but also flashes outstanding power and pop on contact. He routinely runs through arm tackles, and finishes his runs with authority. Although his skill set is ideally suited for power football, Thomas also flashes the speed and burst to get to the corner. He gets to the second level quickly on perimeter plays, and shows nimble feet and agility in the open field. Given his size, strength and impressive running skills, Thomas will be a coveted prospect certain to carry high grades on draft boards.

4. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech: He surprisingly entered the draft after suffering through an injury-plagued year, but scouts are hoping that he regains the sensational form that propelled him to 1,655 rushing yards in 2009. At 5-foot-10, 202 pounds, he shows impressive speed, quickness and running skills. He attacks seams between the tackles, and flashes an explosive burst in the hole. His ability to climb to the second level quickly makes him a threat to score from any distance, and his 30 rushing touchdowns in only 23 games is indicative of his penchant for putting the ball in the paint. Although Williams' explosiveness shines in the open field, it is his ability to get the tough yards between the tackles that makes him most effective. He possesses enough strength and power to run through contact in the hole, and shows an uncanny ability for falling forward at the end of runs. His strength, toughness and tenacity result in positive yardage on most of his attempts, and his overall skills will fit in well at the next level.

5. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State: He is slightly undersized at 5-foot-7, 199 pounds, but he plays the position bigger than his physical dimensions. He runs with aggression between the tackles, and shows the balance, vision and body control to slide through creases in traffic. His aggressive running style catches defenders off guard, which leads to a host of broken tackles on the second level. Hunter also shows good quickness and cutback skills while working on the perimeter. He routinely beats defenders to the corner, but has a knack for finding open seams against the pursuit. Although he lacks the home-run speed that scouts covet, his ability to get to the second level is a testament to his quickness and is one of the reasons he is viewed as a dynamic third-down back on the next level.

Combine offers pass-catching prospects a chance to separate

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

The NFL's transformation into a passing league has thrust pass-catchers into prominence over the past few seasons.

Teams have increasingly relied on spread formations to exploit aggressive defenses, while also taking advantage of the favorable rules for the offense.

This was evident in Super Bowl XLV, when the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers extensively relied on three- and four-receiver sets as their base formations with the game hanging in the balance.

Scouts are scouring the college ranks looking for pass-catchers capable of filling multiple roles. And it's important to distinguish the difference between No. 1 receivers and complementary pass-catchers when evaluating this year's class.

A No. 1 receiver is best described as a pass-catcher with the skills to command double coverage on an every-down basis. They are typically polished route runners capable of running the entire route tree, but most excel at getting open on an assortment of intermediate routes (curls, outs, square-ins and comebacks) against man or zone coverage. No. 1 receivers also possess the ability to take their game to another level in key moments.

Complementary receivers might lack the all-around skills of No. 1 receivers, but they still possess a trait that allows them to excel. This trait is often speed or explosiveness, and they function best as vertical threats on the outside. While they might not rack up the gaudy production of their peers, in terms of receptions, they typically sport robust yards per catch averages due to their ability to generate explosive plays (receptions over 25 yards). Some are also regarded as dynamic returners because they combine their natural explosiveness with running skills that make them dangerous in the open field.

The 2011 draft class features an assortment of No. 1 and complementary receivers, but the headliner is Georgia's A.J. Green.

He is a dominant playmaker with the skills and polish of an NFL veteran. He shows a keen understanding for the timing of the passing game and routinely uses deft fakes and stems to create space over the middle. He was nearly impossible to slow down in the Southeastern Conference, and his consistent dominance over his three-year career suggests that he should make a seamless transition into the pro game.

Julio Jones is another receiver with No. 1-type skills. He has been Alabama's top receiving option since starting as a true freshman, and his final season featured a handful of dominant performances. He finished with four 100-yard games, and his ability to come down with big catches in key moments suggests that he is ready for the big stage.

Torrey Smith and Titus Young top the list of complementary receivers.

Both are explosive big-play threats with speed to burn. They excel at getting behind defenders on vertical routes, but can also turn short passes into big gainers. Smith, in particular, showcased his extraordinary combination of skills as one of the country's top multi-purpose threats during his final season at Maryland.

Complementary weapons also come in the form of tight ends, and Kyle Rudolph is one of the country's most dynamic players. He didn't rack up gaudy totals at Notre Dame, but his flashes of brilliance have led scouts to tab him as a potential all-star.

With so much depth and versatility at the wide receiver and tight end spots, the NFL Scouting Combine will play an important role in determining the pecking order:

Wide Receivers

1. A.J. Green, Georgia: It's a rare occurrence when a receiver ranks as the top player in the draft, but Green might be the first pass-catcher since Keyshawn Johnson to hear his name called as the No. 1 overall pick. He dominates the game from the perimeter and is a polished route runner capable of getting open against man or zone coverage. He routinely gains separation from corners by changing speeds or using a clever assortment of stems to keep defenders off balance. He displays outstanding hands and ball skills. He tracks the ball well with his eyes and adjusts well to throws that are slightly off target. His ability to come down with the spectacular catch stood out on tape. Although Green doesn't appear to be a speed merchant, he makes explosive plays down the field and is a dangerous playmaker with the ball in his hands. Green will factor heavily into the mix as a potential No. 1 pick.

Possible landing spots: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington

2. Julio Jones, Alabama: He has thrived as the Crimson Tide's No. 1 receiver since his arrival on campus three years ago. He is a big, physical receiver with outstanding strength and skills. He shows good body control getting in and out of his breaks, and effectively uses his superior size to gain separation from defenders. He has excellent hands and ball skills. He tracks the ball well, and makes easy adjustments on errant throws. He demonstrates outstanding concentration and focus by extending to grab passes away from his body. He does occasionally drop an easy toss, but not enough to be a concern. Jones is a dynamic runner with the ball in his hands. He makes defenders miss in the open field and possesses the strength to run through arm tackles. If teams are searching for a classic No. 1 receiver with the skills to make an instant impact, Jones should rank near the top of the list.

Possible landing spots: Washington, St. Louis, New England, San Diego

3. Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh: As a junior, he was unable to match the production of his sophomore season, but he still enters the league regarded as one of the top players at the position. He is a big, athletic receiver with outstanding overall skills. He is a natural pass-catcher with exceptional ball skills. He adjusts well to poor throws and has a penchant for coming down with difficult throws in traffic. Although his junior season was littered with drops, his inconsistencies as a pass-catcher are due to lapses in concentration rather than suspect hands and ball skills. He is ideally suited to play as a possession receiver, but still flashes big-play potential when running vertical routes. He routinely wins jump ball situations on 9-routes, and quarterbacks will look to utilize his athleticism near the red zone. He occasionally flashes that athleticism while running with the ball in the open field, but isn't a dynamic or explosive player with the ball in his hands. Regardless, he possesses the talent and skills to be a No. 1 receiver in a ball-control offense.

Possible landing spots: New England, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh

4. Titus Young, Boise State: He has been one of the most dominant playmakers in the country the past two seasons, and he opened eyes with his sensational play at the Senior Bowl. He is a dynamic vertical playmaker with exceptional speed, quickness and burst. He routinely runs past defenders on deep throws, and his ability to separate with the ball in the air is impressive. Young also shows exceptional quickness and burst getting in and out of his breaks on intermediate routes. He is an excellent open-field runner with the speed to turn short passes into big gains. While his diminutive size (5-foot-10, 170 pounds) is a concern, his big-play potential is tantalizing and has led to comparisons with DeSean Jackson. If he posts sizzling times in workouts, Young's stock will skyrocket.

Possible landing spots: Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago

5. Torrey Smith, Maryland: He is a multi-purpose threat with the size, speed and athleticism to be an immediate impact player on the next level. He finished as the ACC leader in kickoff return yards and set the school's single-season mark with 12 touchdown receptions a year ago. Smith specializes in running past defenders on deep posts and 9-routes. While his route running needs work, he routinely finds a way to get open, and his open field running skills shine when he gets the ball in his hands. Smith will rank as one of the top kick returners available, so teams coveting an explosive all-purpose weapon will have to pull the trigger early to land him.

Possible landing spots: Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, New England

Tight Ends

1. Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame: Evaluators will look beyond his pedestrian career numbers to appreciate his outstanding talent and skill level. He is a polished receiver with the physical tools to become a force at the next level. He shows natural hands and ball skills. He tracks and adjusts well to errant passes, and shows an uncanny knack for winning jump-ball situations. His speed and athleticism often surprises defenders on vertical routes, and he is a sneaky big-play threat. As a route runner, he shows excellent balance and body control while using an assortment of stems to get separation from tight coverage. He has a great feel for getting open against man or zone coverage. Rudolph spent most of his time as a flex-tight end, so his in-line blocking skills need refinement. However, he is aggressive and tenacious in his attempts, and should improve with more repetitions as a pro. Rudolph rates as the top tight end.

Possible landing spots: Cleveland, Arizona, Atlanta

2. Luke Stocker, Tennessee: He is a big, imposing athlete with the skills to function as a conventional tight end in the pro game. He excels as a run blocker on the perimeter. He is stout at the point of attack and shows strong hands while engaging with defenders. He understands how to properly gain position on reach blocks, and his aggressiveness in the running game stands out. As a receiver, he is a big target with good hands and ball skills. He plucks with ease away from his body, but showed some inconsistency coming down with difficult throws in traffic. He is at his best when working against zone coverage because he lacks the body control and quickness to separate from defenders. In spite of those flaws, he is a solid option in the passing game capable of moving the chains when given opportunities. If he can show better-than-anticipated athleticism and movement skills during workouts, he can solidify his status as one of the top tight end prospects.

Possible landing spots: Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Miami

3. Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin: He has terrorized Big Ten opponents the past three seasons and ranks as one of the top pass-catchers at the position. He is a fluid, playmaker with good movement skills. He shows good body control getting in and out of his breaks, and flashes a little burst to separate from tight coverage. Although he has problems getting away from physical defenders early in routes, he has the frame and length to make difficult grabs in traffic. His size, athleticism and ball skills also stand out in the red zone. He scored eight touchdowns in college, and his sticky blocking skills routinely helped Badgers runners get tough yards near the end zone. While he isn't a physical or aggressive blocker at the point of attack, he effectively seals the edge on outside runs. He will need to continue to develop, but he shows the potential to develop into a serviceable blocker. If Kendricks can display good speed and athleticism during workouts, he is certain to come off boards during the mid-to-early stages of the draft.

Possible landing spots: New York Giants, New York Jets, Seattle

Through trades I have 4 of the first 6 picks,2,3,5,6. Pretty sure Ingram will go #1 as that team needs RB's. So that'll leave me AJ Green at 2 and I'll probably take J Jones at 3 and take whichever back(LeShoure,Williams) falls to 5. I'll stay away from the QB's at 6 and take best available player.

Through trades I have 4 of the first 6 picks,2,3,5,6. Pretty sure Ingram will go #1 as that team needs RB's. So that'll leave me AJ Green at 2 and I'll probably take J Jones at 3 and take whichever back(LeShoure,Williams) falls to 5. I'll stay away from the QB's at 6 and take best available player.
I have one league where I've loaded up too. I have the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and 11th pick. We should both really enjoy draft day!

I think I try to get to the 4 spot and come away with the 2 WR's and Leshoure and than drop down a little from the 6. So like 5.6 for 4,10 type of deal and make sure I get the #2 RB.

Saw a tweet that McShay had Cobb as his 4th RB
Who?
discussed him much earlier in this thread, just sorta following up.In a very traditional sense, he's too slow to be the 4th RB or 4th WR(too small too) and not good enough to be the 4th QB.

These draft rankers though have to put him in somewhere as mr. useful.

Earlier I had mentioned that thing I love about Cobb is he looks comfy doing either of the three positions and until him I didn't realize the others we've seen over the years didn't.

If these rankers are a genuine indication than Cobb is the biggest riser this offseason and his teammate, Locke, is probably second biggest riser.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/n...3ddraftbuzz0204

The story there (McShay and friends) has him early second round, the rankings at the bottom (Scouts Inc) have him late first.

If BB were to draft Cobb, fine he could go with whatever pick because after Troy Brown and countless others I feel like he absolutely would be mr. useful utility guy for BB. (There's prob a few more NFL coaches one could say would as well) Otherwise, I think first and early second are too high.

Maybe it's a weak draft thing affording him the opportunity to go earlier?

Maybe it's every previous former offensive guy that can switch positions inadvertently giving him exposure?

He seems like a good guy, excellent learner, workout warrior, and a player's player. The intangibles surely help him and teams do seem to dig into those a bit more this time of year....I just don't think he goes that high in a normal draft year.

Maybe (and pathetically I doubt it) NFL teams are planning to stop drafting so many risky projects and instead draft guys that can definitely contribute in some fashion.

Have to love this guy.From Dynasty Rgues

Tailback Mark Ingram, who won a national championship and a Heisman during his high-profile career at Alabama, moved to the area last month to train for his pro career in more low-key surroundings..Ingram has spent the past 5 1/2 weeks working with local trainer Wyatt Harris at the Sonic Boom speed, conditioning and strength academy in Jefferson. The facility, tucked beyond the railroad tracks off Central Avenue, regularly hosts a range of top athletes from area high schools and colleges, as well as pro players such as the Saints' Tracy Porter, Robert Meachem and Devery Henderson..Ingram has shed about 10 pounds, and said he feels primed for next week's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. But his training with Harris won't end there. Ingram rented a condo and plans to spend the entire summer in his "home away from home" before heading off to his first training camp.."I guess everybody just has to go to the spot they think is best for them. And this was the best for me," said Ingram, who learned of Harris from former college roommate Robby Green, a former John Curtis safety. "I know Wyatt. I know his history, his resume, things that he's accomplished with different athletes. And I just thought he was the best fit for me. ."He works me hard. I get a lot of personal attention. He cares a lot about every person he trains, and he puts his heart and soul into it.".Ingram, who is from Flint, Mich., said those visits to New Orleans helped with his homesickness in college, since his family was so far away. He said Green's family has become like a family to him.."This is like my family away from home," Ingram said. "(Green) is my boy. So if we'd just get a little homesick, we'd hit the road and come down to New Orleans. Really, just sometimes if you wanted to just get away from school, just come down here and chill.".Ingram is one of three draft hopefuls working full-time at Sonic Boom this winter. Six days a week, he joins Arkansas-Monticello quarterback Scott Buisson (a Rummel product) and Tulane receiver Casey Robottom (from St. Charles) as they go through a grueling program that Harris based off the dreaded "Sonic Boom Monday" workouts developed by former Southern track coaches Claude Paxton and Johnny Thomas..Harris, a former track and football standout at Southern, grew up in Hammond and Baton Rouge. He played in the arena leagues and in the former World Football League, and worked as a physical trainer with the Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriff's Office. All the while, he worked out with former college teammates such as former NFL standout Aeneas Williams, and gradually his career as an elite fitness trainer grew..Harris' program concentrates on everything from speed and explosion to strength to nutrition. He said he's not interested in focusing specifically on the 40-yard dash and other combine workouts. He's more focused on making his guys better all-around athletes -- though he believes the results will show up in Indianapolis.."I'm teaching him how to make that easy, training the muscles to do that," said Harris, who said he hates being labeled as a "pre-draft" program.."Mark's not here to train for the combine. We're training guys for careers. The goal for me is to get him ready to go to camp and compete," Harris said. "I care about him being able to do the things that NFL teams are going to want to see. He's going to have a running backs coach (working him out), and I don't know exactly what drills they're going to want to do.".On Tuesday, the players alternated from station to station doing drills that help with specific movements. At one point, they were rapidly pumping their arms in a running motion. Then they were replicating the 40-yard dash in slow motion with their feet banded together. Then they were making explosive leaps forward while attached to a rope with 110 pounds of tension..Ingram said he is down to 212 pounds for the first time since his freshman year.."I look bigger. I look a lot more cut," said Ingram. "Everything is coming together now. All the things we work on are starting to show, and I'm excited to go show what I can do. I'm ready to put all this work to the test. I'm ready to go out there and put it all on the line.".Ingram said the first few days of training were especially tough, but the gain has been worth the pain.."The first week, you barely can walk, you know. Your hips are busted up, everywhere. Arms, shoulder, back, you're just busted up. And it's like, man, why am I doing this?" Ingram said. "But after a while, the next week you feel better, next week you feel better, next week you feel better, and you start getting more and more confident in everything that you're doing here. The training is hard, it's not for everybody, it's really not. But that's what I love to do. I love hard work.."There's no special formula for success. It just takes hard work and dedication. And that's what I'm all about, and that's what we do here at Sonic Boom.".Ingram ran for 3,261 yards and scored 46 touchdowns in three years at Alabama. He was especially dominant as a sophomore, when he ran for 1,658 yards en route to the Heisman Trophy and the BCS championship. Last year a knee injury limited his production. But he said the knee has become a "non-issue.".He is projected as the top tailback in this year's draft, most likely in the top-20 range overall. The Saints, who pick 24th, could use a runner like Ingram, especially if they part ways with Pierre Thomas and/or Reggie Bush.."That'd be nice," Ingram said. "But I'm just excited to go through the whole process, and wherever I end up, I'm going to be focused on being the best player I can be and helping them win championships.".

The Shutdown 40: #17 Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

By Doug Farrar

We continue our series with Alabama running back Mark Ingram. By far the most complete and pro-ready back in this draft class, and there are some who believe that in 2011 at the running back position, the draft is comprised of ‘Mark Ingram and everybody else.' While we're a long way away from being able to make such value judgments, Ingram's production against elite competition - and when he was frequently a point of focus of enemy defenses - was impressive enough to insure his status as a sure top-of-the-first-round draft pick.

In 38 games for the Crimson Tide, Ingram ran 560 times for 3,202 yards and 40 touchdowns. In all those carries, he rushed for just 62 negative yards, and under 10 negative yards in a game just once in his entire career. 2009 was his banner year, when he won the Heisman Trophy and Alabama won the national championship. Ingram rushed 271 times for 1,658 yards and 17 touchdowns. 2010 was a disappointment from a productivity standpoint, we he gained just 816 rushing yards on 146 carries after missing the first two games recovering from knee surgery.

Pros: Great on-field awareness - Ingram doesn't outrun his blockers and can start and stop in short spaces with impressive efficiency when he needs to hit a seam or find his way out of a flock of impending defenders. Has a very quick burst upfield; when he gets going in a straight line, he's very tough to stop. Has a well-muscled build (5-foot-10, 215 pounds) and he's able to bounce off first contact. Runs low and hard through tight gaps at the line. Ingram can read and make cuts in short areas at top speed, and his speed to and through the hole makes him an especially effective runner on draws and delays. Good receiver on screens, swing passes, and quick throws up the middle - he turns upfield quickly and accelerates for yards after catch.

Cons: Though he has great on-field speed, he's not an elite burner, and there are a few things that give pause when projecting him at the NFL level without his current supporting talent. Quite often, Ingram went straight through a chute at the line because his blockers were able to overwhelm enemy defenses. He may be more of a rotational back n the NFL because he doesn't push the pile very hard - he may struggle in short-yardage situations against more stubborn and resistant defenses. ON a strong team with a good offensive line, he should be good to go, but may not be able to transcend a less optimal situation.

Conclusion: Perhaps Ingram's primary appeal is that while he does a few things exceptionally well and he does have a high ceiling, he also has an impressively high floor - there just aren't too many things he doesn't do well. He can provide just about any kind of running you want, understands blocking and ball security (just two fumbles at Alabama), he's a good receiver, and he's a team leader. Alabama coach Nick Saban, who isn't known to be impressed by much, has spoken as well of Ingram as just about any player he's ever coached. It's often seen as slightly pejorative to call a player a safe pick - the thought being that the player in question isn't impressive in a flashy sense. Ingram has as much flash to his style as you'd like, but his main asset as a pro prospect is that he has such a well-defined skill set.

NFL Comparison: Tiki Barber, New York Giants

The Shutdown 40: #17 Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

By Doug Farrar

We continue our series with Alabama running back Mark Ingram. By far the most complete and pro-ready back in this draft class, and there are some who believe that in 2011 at the running back position, the draft is comprised of ‘Mark Ingram and everybody else.' While we're a long way away from being able to make such value judgments, Ingram's production against elite competition - and when he was frequently a point of focus of enemy defenses - was impressive enough to insure his status as a sure top-of-the-first-round draft pick.

In 38 games for the Crimson Tide, Ingram ran 560 times for 3,202 yards and 40 touchdowns. In all those carries, he rushed for just 62 negative yards, and under 10 negative yards in a game just once in his entire career. 2009 was his banner year, when he won the Heisman Trophy and Alabama won the national championship. Ingram rushed 271 times for 1,658 yards and 17 touchdowns. 2010 was a disappointment from a productivity standpoint, we he gained just 816 rushing yards on 146 carries after missing the first two games recovering from knee surgery.

Pros: Great on-field awareness - Ingram doesn't outrun his blockers and can start and stop in short spaces with impressive efficiency when he needs to hit a seam or find his way out of a flock of impending defenders. Has a very quick burst upfield; when he gets going in a straight line, he's very tough to stop. Has a well-muscled build (5-foot-10, 215 pounds) and he's able to bounce off first contact. Runs low and hard through tight gaps at the line. Ingram can read and make cuts in short areas at top speed, and his speed to and through the hole makes him an especially effective runner on draws and delays. Good receiver on screens, swing passes, and quick throws up the middle - he turns upfield quickly and accelerates for yards after catch.

Cons: Though he has great on-field speed, he's not an elite burner, and there are a few things that give pause when projecting him at the NFL level without his current supporting talent. Quite often, Ingram went straight through a chute at the line because his blockers were able to overwhelm enemy defenses. He may be more of a rotational back n the NFL because he doesn't push the pile very hard - he may struggle in short-yardage situations against more stubborn and resistant defenses. ON a strong team with a good offensive line, he should be good to go, but may not be able to transcend a less optimal situation.

Conclusion: Perhaps Ingram's primary appeal is that while he does a few things exceptionally well and he does have a high ceiling, he also has an impressively high floor - there just aren't too many things he doesn't do well. He can provide just about any kind of running you want, understands blocking and ball security (just two fumbles at Alabama), he's a good receiver, and he's a team leader. Alabama coach Nick Saban, who isn't known to be impressed by much, has spoken as well of Ingram as just about any player he's ever coached. It's often seen as slightly pejorative to call a player a safe pick - the thought being that the player in question isn't impressive in a flashy sense. Ingram has as much flash to his style as you'd like, but his main asset as a pro prospect is that he has such a well-defined skill set.

NFL Comparison: Tiki Barber, New York Giants
:excited:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread