What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2016 Draft Class (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Mississippi junior TE Evan Engram as the best underclassmen tight end prospect in the country.

Outside of players with health or character concerns, Engram is shaping up to be one of this class' most divisive prospects. The ESPN crew loves him, believing Engram to be a Rds. 1-2 prospect. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein, on the other hand, has Engram as only the No. 8 tight end in the country. "Yet another draft prospect in the Rebels' loaded junior class, Engram already has 59 receptions in his first two seasons," Kiper wrote. "At just shy of 230 pounds, he won't be confused with a classic tight end, but he's a matchup threat and can pluck the ball."

Source: ESPN Insider
Jul 10 - 3:40 PM
Alabama junior tight end O.J. Howard is a "player with a decorated high school career who needs to raise his game," observes ESPN's Mel Kiper.

We can't say that we disagree, though Howard certainly has plenty of time to turn up the heat on the field. "The potential is significant for the 6-6, 240-pound Howard, but he didn't take that big step forward in 2014 that I expected," Kiper wrote. In line with those comments, Kiper ranks Howard as the No. 3 underclassmen tight end prospect in the country, behind Evan Engram and Hunter Henry. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein is also down on Howard, writing recently that he "came away disappointed" in a tape study. The 6-foot-6, 240-pound Howard runs a 4.59 second forty.

Jul 10 - 5:58 PM
Arkansas junior TE Hunter Henry boasts a "great combination of size and instincts for the position," observes ESPN's Mel Kiper.

Kiper ranks Henry as the No. 2 underclassmen tight end prospect in the country. "Henry was arguably the top tight end in the nation as a high school senior and has carried that to Arkansas, where he started his first two years and has 65 catches," Kiper wrote. "He's also become a decent blocker, something you have to be in this offense." The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Henry hauled in 37 receptions for 513 yards and two touchdowns in 2014, earning All-SEC second-team honors and an AP All-SEC honorable mention. NFL Draft Analyst Lance Zierlein ranks him as the best TE in college football. "Unlike most tight ends in college football today, Henry is a willing and able blocker who is an important part of the Razorbacks' power-rushing attack," Zierlein wrote.

Jul 10 - 5:09 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

If Purdue senior WR Danny Anthrop (ACL) can manage to stay healthy this fall, ESPN's Brian Bennett sees him "challenging the 1,000-yard plateau."

"Anthrop hasn’t had much luck on the health front but has been productive when he’s played," Bennett wrote. The 6-foot, 191-pound Anthrop posted 616 yards on 38 catches in only nine games last season following an ACL injury suffered against Nebraska.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 12 - 5:43 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Brian Bennett believes Ohio State redshirt junior WR Michael Thomas "could become an even bigger focus of the passing attack" with Devin Smith and Evan Spencer gone.

"Thomas had abreakout campaign as a redshirt sophomore and is the Buckeyes’ leading returning wideout after posting 799 yards last year, albeit in 15 games," Bennett wrote. Recently, ESPN's Mel Kiper wrote that there's "an argument to be made" that Thomas is a better prospect than 2015 Rd. 2 pick Devin Smith. Kiper graded Thomas as the No. 4 underclassmen WR in the country.

Jul 12 - 4:56 PM
Ohio State redshirt junior WR Michael Thomas has "the speed to make plays downfield but also the all-around receiving skills to be the go-to weapon for whichever quarterback emerges as the starter," wrote Sports on Earth's Matt Brown.

"Although Devin Smith got more attention because of his game-changing ability as a deep threat, Thomas was the Buckeyes' leader in catches last year," Brown wrote. "Nobody can match Smith's ability to track deep balls, but Thomas is a more complete receiver." Thomas recorded 54 receptions for 799 yards and nine scores last year. The analyst grades Thomas as the No. 21 wide receiver in the land.

Source: Sports on Earth
Jul 12 - 3:06 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Brian Bennett thinks Michigan State senior WR Aaron Burbridge is set to become the Spartans' top aerial target in 2015.

Tony Lippett was one of two 1,000-yard receivers in the Big Ten last year. He and Keith Mumphery are both now in the NFL, giving Burbridge a great chance to ascend to "go-to receiver" status. "Perhaps Burbridge can fill it as the new No. 1 receiver," Bennett wrote. "He’ll need to take a major step forward after registering just 29 catches for 358 yards in ’14, but he is skilled and has Connor Cook throwing him the ball."

Jul 12 - 3:59 PM

Rotoworld:

Due to the injury of Mikey Dudek, ESPN's Brian Bennett suggests that Illinois junior WR Geronimo Allison may crack the 1,000-receiving yard barrier this year.

Dudek tore his ACL in the spring and won’t be back until October at the earliest. "Can Allison pick up the slack?" Bennett asked. "He showed signs of promise in 2014 while racking up 598 receiving yards and 41 catches in 12 games. He’ll need more consistency, but the talent and opportunity are both there in the Illini’s high-volume passing game." The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder had a great spring, according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

Jul 12 - 2:29 PM

Rotoworld:

Last year, Mississippi State junior WR De'Runnya Wilson's "play was erratic much of the season, [but] he starred late in the year," wrote Sports on Earth's Matt Brown.

Wilson is a good candidate for breakout national star this year. "Dak Prescott became a star last year, and the biggest beneficiary was Wilson, a physical 6-foot-5, 225-pound former basketball player," Brown wrote. "He emerged as the top target last year, in an offense that revolves around Prescott's read-option game and play-action passes." The analyst ranked Wilson as the No. 24 wide receiver in the country. Wilson, who had 47 receptions, 680 yards and nine touchdowns last season (70 percent of his catches resulted in a first down or touchdown), was arrested on marijuana charges in March. He's going to have to keep his nose clean if he hopes to enter the draft process early.

Jul 12 - 1:56 PM

Rotoworld:

Tennessee senior WR Von Pearson only dropped one catchable target in 2014, according to Pro Football Focus.

Of the 39 catchable targets, Pearson caught 38 of them. Pig Howard and Marquez North receive a large amount of attention among Vols' receivers, but Tennessee runs plenty of multiple receiver sets and Pearson should absolutely get his own. Those 38 catches went for 393 yards and five touchdowns.

Source: Jack Farrell on Twitter
Jul 12 - 1:47 PM
Tennessee senior WR Von Pearson's 129.4 WR Rating ranked as sixth-best in the SEC last year, according to College Football Focus' Jack Farrell.

Pearson finished one spot ahead of this year's No. 4 overall pick, Amari Cooper. Not bad company. The 6-foot-3, 187-pound Pearson had 38 catches for 393 yards with a team-high five receiving touchdowns last year.

Jul 11 - 7:11 PM
Tennessee junior WR Marquez North "breakout didn't really happen last year, but that can be blamed on various injuries, an unsettled quarterback situation until the second half of the season and a season-ending shoulder injury that sidelined him for much of Joshua Dobbs' breakout over the last several weeks," wrote Sports on Earth's Matt Brown.

"The 6-foot-4, 224-pound North has a chance to re-emerge as the Vols' best -- and one of the best in the country -- if he stays healthy, especially now that Dobbs has established himself as a viable option at QB," Brown wrote. The analyst ranked North as the No. 25 wide receiver in the nation, but he has the potential to be much more disruptive than that. North had 30 catches for 320 yards in limited action last season. We are with Brown in expecting a whole lot more this time around.

Jul 11 - 5:53 PM

Has there been any discussion of Michael Thomas? He's a guy I've drafted late in every devy league I'm in. I actually can't figure out why there isn't more hype on him...

He was the best WR on the national champions and checks all the boxes physically: Size, speed, long arms, leaping ability, body control, strength, hands, etc.
Devin Smith was the best WR for the national champs.
Just saw this today from Brugler and wanted to come back to the Thomas discussion for a second:

Michael Thomas, WR, Redshirt Junior (6-3, 210, 4.54)

The first Buckeye drafted this past spring was wide receiver Devin Smith, who was taken 37th overall by the New York Jets. Time will tell if Thomas is drafted earlier or later than that, but he, not Smith, was the best all-around receiver on the Ohio State roster last year. The nephew of former No. 1 overall pick Keyshawn Johnson, he led the Bucks with 54 receptions in 2014, collecting 799 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. After redshirting in 2013, Thomas emerged last season as a more mature and consistent playmaker, showcasing his excellent blend of size, speed and savvy as a pass-catcher. He is solidly built for the position to work the middle of the field, displaying the light feet, toughness and dependable ballskills to line up inside or out wide. He doesn't have the same vertical prowess as Smith, but Thomas is far more advanced as a route runner and underneath target with the athleticism to make something happen after the catch (see 2014 Michigan State game). Although his name isn't yet on the national radar and he's still searching for his first 100-yard receiving game, Thomas absolutely has top-50 potential and is poised for a highly productive junior year in 2015.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter argues that TCU redshirt senior QB Trevone Boykin is the early favorite to get named to the 2015 All-American first-team.

He's not exactly going out on a limb, as the 6-foot-1, 208-pound Boykin threw for 3,714 yards and 30 touchdowns and rushed for 642 yards and eight scores in 2014. "Boykin isn't the biggest of quarterbacks (6-foot-2, 205 pounds), but if he uses his arm and feet to improve on his dual-threat numbers as a senior, he'll get a trip to New York City as a Heisman finalist -- and TCU might earn the CFB Playoff berth it narrowly missed in 2014," Reuter wrote. Boykin was the 2014 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and was additionally a finalist for the Walter Camp and Maxwell Awards.

Source: NFL.com
Jul 13 - 11:14 PM

Rotoworld:

FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said graduate transfer QB Everett Golson's fit with the offense is not an issue.

"Everett can be an [NFL-style offense] guy and do spread stuff or I wouldn’t have taken him," Fisher said. "I called the game different for Christian Ponder and Jameis Winston." Many have worried about Golson's fit, stating Fisher's offense is complex and Golson won't have time to acclimate prior to the season. We aren't as worried, as Fisher is an outstanding coach who understands when to simplify (even when orchestrating big plays). One note: Fisher says he is happy with Sean Maguire, so Golson won't be given the starting gig.

Source: Miami Herald
Jul 12 - 12:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State graduate QB Braxton Miller (labrum) said he's the best athlete in college football and clarified that he's almost 100 percent healthy.

Miller has had a long road back from the season-ending torn labrum he suffered last August. "As it stands right now, I know I am the best athlete in college football," Miller said. "If any competition wants to come my way, I've just got to be smart about things and just stay looking forward." Miller announced this week that he will finish his career with the Buckeyes, meaning he will take on J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones for the starting QB job this summer. Though he doesn't yet have full rotation in his right arm, Miller believes that's right around the corner. "That comes with repetition," he said. "Other than that, I'm healthy." Some think HC Urban Meyer will deploy a multiple-QB scheme, as he did at Florida with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow.

Jul 11 - 6:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Arkansas senior RB Jonathan Williams broke 65 tackles in 2015, which led the SEC.

Cameron Artis-Payne, who is now with the Carolina Panthers, was second with 64. Williams' accomplishment is even more notable when looking at carry totals, as the Arkansas back rushed the ball 211 times, while CAP received 302 carries. Williams and Alex Collins team to form one of the better tandems in the country.

Jul 15 - 10:48 AM

Rotoworld:

Auburn junior QB Jeremy Johnson "has the arm strength to hit a target on any spot of the field, and he has a great receiving corps," according to NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter.

The analyst thinks Johnson is a darkhorse to earn All-American honors this fall. "Now that Nick Marshall has moved on to the NFL, it's Johnson's time," Reuter wrote. "Add in a solid defense, and the Tigers are primed for a big 2015 season, which could make the Montgomery, Ala., native a household name." The deep receiving corps Reuter mentioned includes Marcus Davis, Ricardo Louis and D'haquille "Duke" Williams.

Source: NFL.com
Jul 14 - 11:59 PM
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn declined to compare junior QB Jeremy Johnson to Cam Newton.

"I don't like to compare my players," Malzahn said. Good for him. Not only would that be unfair to Johnson, but the comparison seems to us a little backwards, as Newton is faster and a more skilled runner while Johnson may have a bigger arm. "[i can throw] about 70 yards," Johnson said. Interestingly, Newton sometimes plays Madden at Johnson's place in the offseason. After serving as Nick Marshall's backup for two seasons, Johnson is finally set to take over the offense; he's a darkhorse Heisman candidate. "I would say the majority of quarterbacks in that situation would have (transferred). That's just the world we live in," Malzahn said. "He has really waited for his moment. He's earned this."

Source: CBS Sports
Jul 14 - 9:03 PM

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 3m3 minutes ago

@yookc @LanceZierlein Mike Williams (Clemson WR)…put that one on your radar
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 2m2 minutes ago

@LanceZierlein @yookc Boyd my top guy right now too…I gave Mike and Duke the same grade but I'd slot Mike ahead. Treadwell speed is ?

Rotoworld:

Auburn senior WR Duke Williams was not one of the 48 wide receivers named to the preseason Biletnikoff Award watch list on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-2, 224-pound Williams has been seen as one of the best wideouts in the country, coming into the 2015 season. The Auburn wideout was already named to the Maxwell Award watch list, which is given to the Player of the Year in college football. However, Williams can still be added to the list throughout the season and could end up being a finalist for the award. Williams finished the 2014 season, with 45 receptions for 730 yards with five touchdowns.

Source: AL.com
Jul 16 - 3:07 PM

Rotoworld:

Former Oregon State graduate WR Richard Mullaney "adds to the Tide's depth at wide receiver and to the competition for playing time," AL.com's Matt Zenitz writes.

"He definitely comes in and brings a lot more attention to detail also with him being an upperclassman," running back Kenyan Drake told Al.com, "so definitely comes in — he doesn't specifically know our playbook per se — but he has the experience at receiver to give the other even younger players the competition that they need to get ready for the season." The 6-foot-3, 194-pound Mullaney joins a WR unit that's missing its top three wide receivers from 2014. During his time at Oregon State, Mullaney hauled in 83 receptions for 1,160 yards and five touchdowns. Due to an elbow injury, he was forced to miss the last half of the season, only posting 18 receptions for 216 yards.

Jul 16 - 3:55 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ted Miller argues that Washington junior RB Dwayne Washington is the most underrated runner in the Pac-12.

Between Utah's Devontae Booker, UCLA's Paul Perkins, Oregon's Royce Freeman, Arizona's Nick Wilson, California's Daniel Lasco and Oregon State's Storm Barrs-Woods (amongst others), you can see how Washington might get lost in the shuffle. That's probably a mistake. Washington (6-foot-2, 221 pounds) had 697 yards on 7.8 yards per carry last year while dealing with injuries (383 came against Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State alone). The former high school WR combines quick feet with a powerful running style and soft hands. "When I have opportunities in the open field, that's when I show my speed off," he said. "As far as power, I've always been tough on the field. I've always run with power. I don't want to get tackled. ... I'm comfortable catching the ball, screens or even deep routes if I get the chance."

Jul 20 - 8:14 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks NC State junior TE David Grinnage as the No. 5 underclassmen tight end prospect in the country.

"At 6-5 and nearly 270 pounds, you could flip Grinnage around and have a defensive end prospect," Kiper wrote. "He really broke though as a weapon in ACC play last year and should be a focal point in 2015." Grinnage had career highs of 27 catches for 358 yards and five touchdowns -- all coming in his final five conference games -- last year. We'd expect him to set new career bests in catches and yards this fall.

Jul 20 - 7:25 PM

Rotoworld:

Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi told reporters no decision has been made on further discipline involving junior WR Tyler Boyd.

Boyd was suspended from team activities for a month following his DUI in June. Narduzzi called Boyd's case a "family issue." Many rank Boyd as one of, if not the top, receiver in the country. We like how comfortable he is after the catch to pick up extra yards. Boyd and running back James Conner are the core pieces of Pittsburgh's offense.

Source: Andrea Adelson on Twitter
Jul 21 - 9:30 AM

Rotoworld:

Baylor redshirt senior TE LaQuan McGowan has "slimmed down" to 403 pounds this offseason, per HC Art Briles.

The 6-foot-8 McGowan is shockingly athletic for his size and has, ahem, trimmed down to transition into tight end duties this fall. The former reserve offensive lineman has been clocked at 5.42 40-yard dash and has huge mitts. He could become a valuable role player as an extra blocker and red zone target. However it plays out, we can't wait to watch. "The huge Baylor TE will be a cult hero this season," Bruce Fedman wrote.

Source: Bruce Feldman on Twitter
Jul 22 - 9:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Louisiana Tech head coach Skip Holtz named graduate QB Jeff Driskel starter.

Well, this should be fun. "After spring practice we went through all the numbers and we met with all the players and all the quarterbacks on where they ranked and where they were," Holtz said. "Just looking at the numbers from the whole body of work through spring practice, I felt Jeff Driskel gave us the best opportunity as a quarterback. That’s when we looked at him and said he’ll be the starter." Driskel beat out Ryan Higgins to replace Cody Sokol. Driskel went 11-2 with Florida in 2012, but his career has taken a sharp downward trajectory since. He's been one of the worst Power 5 signal-callers in the country over the past few years, but he does have the talent to turn things around.

Source: Monroe News-Star
Jul 22 - 8:51 PM

Rotoworld:

Auburn HC Gus Malzahn said this is the best WRs corps of his 10-year coaching career and said the top three on the depth chart are all NFL prospects.

He's talking, of course, about seniors D'haquille Williams, Ricardo Louis and Melvin Ray. "The thing that probably stands out about this group is we've got three seniors that have a lot of experience coming back that have a chance to really lead our group and I think all three of the seniors we've got coming back will have a chance to play at the next level," Malzahn said. "I'm not for sure we've ever had that in the past." Tigers' receivers coach Dameyune Craig thinks new starting QB Jeremy Johnson will greatly aid his unit. "The receivers will prosper from Johnson's emergence as quarterback next year," Craig said in January. "I'm excited about it. The receivers are excited about it and I think the fans are excited about this new era in Auburn football."

Jul 22 - 8:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says senior WR Melvin Ray will be far more involved in his gameplans this fall.

Ray caught only eight passes last year, but led the team with 22.8 yards per catch. Ray is joined by D'haquille Williams and Ricardo Louis in forming one of the nation's best WR units. "They are talented. Not only those guys, but the entire team," QB Jeremy Johnson said. "We all have a different vibe about ourselves this year. Ricardo Louis, Melvin Ray and Duke Williams, they all have the potential to be in the NFL." All three are 6-foot-2 or taller. "They're moving really good," Johnson said. "I feel really comfortable with those three guys and I know they're going to make a lot of plays this year."

Jul 23 - 6:47 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State graduate Braxton Miller told SI's Pete Thamel he is moving to H-back for the 2015 season.

The H-back is described as a hybrid receiver position. Another way to explain it: think of Aaron Hernandez's role in Urban Meyer's offense. Miller adds he will also focus on punt return, with 20% of his practice time spent at quarterback. Many other reporters have passed along buzz since the news broke, including Braxton's shoulder might not have healed to his liking, speeding up the position switch process. Expect to see Miller lined up all around Ohio State's formation.

Source: Sports Illustrated
Jul 23 - 10:06 PM
Braxton Miller's father says his son still considers himself a QB first and a move to a hybrid receiver position is a backup plan.

Head coach Urban Meyer calls his slot/move receiver an H-back, and this is the position Miller told SI's Pete Thamel he is switching to. Miller's father says Braxton still wants to play quarterback, but "doesn’t feel that he’s ready for quarterback because of the shoulder." Meyer said Thursday night a decision has not been made. We think it has, and expect Miller to predominantly line up at a position other than quarterback in 2015.

Source: The Columbus Dispatch
Jul 24 - 9:00 AM

Rotoworld:

Pittsburgh junior WR Tyler Boyd has entered a program for nonviolent first-time offenders in hopes of having his DUI charge withdrawn, according to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Liz Navratil.

The Pittsburgh prospect entered an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program, for first-time offenders, where Boyd could have his charges withdrawn and the case expunged when he completes the needed requirements. Boyd has one year to complete safe driving classes or treatment. At the moment, Boyd's driver's license is suspended for at least 90 days.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Jul 24 - 2:33 PM

Rotoworld:

Penn State junior QB Christian Hackenberg was named to the watch list for the Manning Award, which is awarded to the top quarterback in college football.

The Penn State prospect's name has already been added to watch lists for the Maxwell Award, Davey O’Brien Award and the Walter Camp Award this year. The 6-foot-4, 236-pound Hackenberg had an off season last year, as he regressed with a 12/15 TD/INT rate last season under HC James Franklin. However, the Penn State junior has started started all 25 career games under center for the Nittany Lions throwing for 5,932 passing yards.

Source: Lancaster Online
Jul 24 - 3:44 PM

Users who are viewing this thread