What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty League Targets - Who and why? (1 Viewer)

McFadden and Evans...well...the way I construct my teams is to fill them with guys that could be great players at their position. Not today, not tomorrow, and maybe not for several years...but someday...maybe. Neither of these guys fit the bill. At best they're going to be mediocre, I don't see the point in rostering them when I could be rostering the next Miles Austin, Mike Sims Walker, Tony Romo, Ryan Grant, Jermichael Finley, etc. instead.
How long have you been watching football and playing fantasy football? Would love to see how Evans doesn't fit into this...
I have strong opinions about most players, but especially Big 10 ones. I've been watching Evans since he was 18. Evans is electric, but incredibly inconsistent, and he's done nothing to lead me to believe otherwise. I've watched the same player the entire decade with little development.Pass.
Well, being a fan of the Big 10 I see why you have a skewed perception of players.The fact of the matter is, without quality QB play, drives sputter, defenses load up on the 1 player on the team who can beat you. In Buffalo, that has been Evans. If Evans is traded this year, look out. Is Steve Smith (Car) untalented? He certainly looked that way when Delhomme was sucking all year. Enter Moore and all of the sudden....Oh yeah, Steve Smith still has it.As for McFadden, being an Auburn graduate, I had the honor of watching him kick the crap out of SEC defenses during his career at Arkansas. He was the second most gifted college running back I have ever seen (Behind Bo Jackson). The raiders woes are all linked to Jamarcus Russel and his inability to even hit RB's in the flat. McFadden and Bush will both be top 24 RB's next season with only Gradowski as an upgrade. Look at the AFC west: Denver, KC. San Diego....not a defense to be found there. I agree with SSOG both Evans (assuming he is with another team) and McFadden offer excellent upside on the cheap.

McFadden and Evans...well...the way I construct my teams is to fill them with guys that could be great players at their position. Not today, not tomorrow, and maybe not for several years...but someday...maybe. Neither of these guys fit the bill. At best they're going to be mediocre, I don't see the point in rostering them when I could be rostering the next Miles Austin, Mike Sims Walker, Tony Romo, Ryan Grant, Jermichael Finley, etc. instead.
How long have you been watching football and playing fantasy football? Would love to see how Evans doesn't fit into this...
I have strong opinions about most players, but especially Big 10 ones. I've been watching Evans since he was 18. Evans is electric, but incredibly inconsistent, and he's done nothing to lead me to believe otherwise. I've watched the same player the entire decade with little development.Pass.
Well, being a fan of the Big 10 I see why you have a skewed perception of players.The fact of the matter is, without quality QB play, drives sputter, defenses load up on the 1 player on the team who can beat you. In Buffalo, that has been Evans. If Evans is traded this year, look out. Is Steve Smith (Car) untalented? He certainly looked that way when Delhomme was sucking all year. Enter Moore and all of the sudden....Oh yeah, Steve Smith still has it.As for McFadden, being an Auburn graduate, I had the honor of watching him kick the crap out of SEC defenses during his career at Arkansas. He was the second most gifted college running back I have ever seen (Behind Bo Jackson). The raiders woes are all linked to Jamarcus Russel and his inability to even hit RB's in the flat. McFadden and Bush will both be top 24 RB's next season with only Gradowski as an upgrade. Look at the AFC west: Denver, KC. San Diego....not a defense to be found there. I agree with SSOG both Evans (assuming he is with another team) and McFadden offer excellent upside on the cheap.
Steve Smith is not untalented, he's great, and the furthest thing from inconsistent. That's the biggest difference between him and Evans. With Smith you'll get a great performance every week, his QB has held him back but he's still been very, very good. With Evans you never know what you're going to get, and when you mix in the poor QB play it only magnifies things. If he truly were that great he'd be at least more consistent in his performances than he is. He's got a lot more Roy Williams in him than Steve Smith. Just my two cents, I'd still rather have a guy like Doucet than Evans but to each their own.

I'm eyeballing all of the following to add WR depth during the off season:

James Jones - If Driver leaves then he will be the complement to Jennings/Finley

Jacoby Jones - Do Walter and Daniels move on? If so, then I see JJ as having legitimate WR2 capabilities

Jordy Nelson - In the mix with Jame Jones. Love his size but he still needs some work.

Doucet - Relaly liked what I saw last night. Fighting for extra yards and seems to have Warner's trust. If Boldin and/or Breaston leaves then look out!

Edelman - Not real sure baout him yet but who else are they going to throw to?

Devin Aromashodu - Finally got the playing time with Jay. Continued the good chemistry they exhibited in training camp/preseason.

Legadu Naanee - still think Floyd is ahead of him but we'll see.

Earl Bennett - still on waivers in my league.

Gibson - outside of LR he's the only WR with decent size on the team. A new QB can only help.

Crabtree is someone i want on my team.

Hope Bowe can turn it around and seems like he could be fair priced.

E. Royal will have to prove me he can play I spent too much to get him last year to put faith into him again.

Mike Wallace- To be so fast, he is pretty good size and runs impeccable routes. Heinze is getting old and Pitt seems to be transforming into a pass first team based on personelle

Austin Coliie- Could easily see this guy as the next Wes Welker with 100 grabs a year every year. All it would take is an injury to either Clark or Wayne. He may catch 70 next year with no injuries anywhere.

DeAngelo Williams- Obviously not a secret but he may be at a reduce value after a down year. 13 NFL head scouts had him ranked as the best all around running back in the NFL. With Stewart stealing the show late, some owners may sell way to low on him.

Jay Cutler-Extrapolate last 4 games of the season and he throws for 4000 and 40 TD's. While the 40 TD's seems high, I do not see Chicago becoming a running team in the near future. Cutler has already been a top 5 QB and is only 26 years old. With the improved chemistry with Aromashado and the promise of a new OC (Maybe Martz), and the outside shot at landing a true number 1 WR, Cutler could easily return to the top 5 as soon as next year, and is a shoe in to be a top 5 QB 5 years from now when Manning, Brady, Warner, McNabb, Farve are all either retired or on their farewell tour.

Deon Butler- Don't give up on this kid just yet. In the age of instant gratification and rookie WR's showing ability early in their careers, there are plenty of WR's who blossom in year 2 and especially year 3. I expect a pass first offense in Seattle next year and I also expect Bureleson and Branch to be gone. That really leaves know one in front of Butler for playing time. Look for a second half of next year break out as the game slows down for this talented player.

Kevin Ogletree-Explosive player. Caught Romo's attention in pre-season. Most likely will not "Break Out" until his 3rd year due to Roy Williams contract and Hurd and Crayton loyalty factor. However, I also would not be surprised if he emerged from camp next year as the number 2 WR ahead of Williams, Hurd, and Crayton.

Deep Sleeper-Evan Moore- Kind of a boring pick here but lack of experienced talent at QB, WR, RB, and TE makes play makes hard to find and TE's target magnets. Similar to Carlson last year, Moore has the chance to jump quickly into top 12-15 TE's and in PPR potentially a top 10. It's not often that there is a buzz surrounding a practice squad TE but that was the case last year in Cleveland. Their team style is gritty, ball control football. I think Moore has a legitimate shot to lead Cleveland in receptions next year.

Anyone think Martellus Bennet ever goes from really talented guy without production to top 10 TE?
Depends. He's a very good athlete, but not very explosive. Kind of like Gates in that regard.Right now they seem to be using him primarily as a third OT. If he should ever get a true starting opportunity, he would become an interesting sleeper. He's very young. Plenty of time to emerge.

I was very happy to get Jacoby Jones for 3.04 rookie pick around week 10. He has the highest DYAR among receivers with 25-40 receptions.
I'm a big fan of Football Outsiders, and was one of the first guys around here advocating using their stats in fantasy football analysis... but their receiver numbers are mostly useless. The RB and QB numbers tend to correlate well with reality, but the WR numbers don't. They heavily overrated WRs who are second options to established studs, and heavily underrated the established studs, mostly because they don't account for coverage. It's the same reason why nickle and dime CBs tend to put up better per-play stats than starting CBs.With that said, Jacoby for a 3rd is a fantastic trade. I've mentioned in the dynasty super-thread that I'm a fan of under-the-radar WRs who function as high-level punt returners, because the skillset really seems to translate very well to offense (see Wes Welker, Santana Moss, Steve Smiff, Steve Breaston, even Devin Hester is a pretty darn good WR for a guy who never played the position before 3 years ago).
I agree with your targeting strategy... I was able to get Mike Thomas as a throw in during an end of the season trade. I may look at reacquiring Harry Douglas late in our rookie/FA draft this summer.

At receiver, I'd be looking to buy Antonio Bryant, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith South, Lee Evans, Eddie Royal, Chaz Schilens, because their production recently hasn't been anywhere near their talent level. I think this offseason will be the last chance to buy James Jones, Andre Caldwell, Steve Breaston, and Legede Naanee on the cheap. If Favre retires again, I would pounce in a millisecond on Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin. Kenny Britt's not a "buy low" since he actually looked pretty good this last year, but he might be a "buy lower than he should be going for" still.
It gladdens me that I own the bolded already. Because I seemed to struggle at wideout last season but feel I am strong heading into next.

Last edited by a moderator:
At receiver, I'd be looking to buy Antonio Bryant, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith South, Lee Evans, Eddie Royal, Chaz Schilens, because their production recently hasn't been anywhere near their talent level. I think this offseason will be the last chance to buy James Jones, Andre Caldwell, Steve Breaston, and Legede Naanee on the cheap. If Favre retires again, I would pounce in a millisecond on Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin. Kenny Britt's not a "buy low" since he actually looked pretty good this last year, but he might be a "buy lower than he should be going for" still.
It gladdens me that I own the bolded already. Because I seemed to struggle at wideout last season but feel I am strong heading into next.
Bump. who is everyone else targeting?

1. Calvin Johnson
What is the price for Calvin at this point? He's gone from untouchable to acquirable, but the price is still steep. A top 10 RB still doesn't buy him straight up (a top 5 RB might).
So F&L has 1. CJ2. AP3. MJD4. R^25. Gore6. SJAX7. Stewart8. Jamaal Charles9. D Williams10. MendenhallI would think CJ, MJD, R^2, Stewart would be your best bets str8 up because of age. SJAX (age), Gore(age), JCHarles(perceived risk), Mendenhall(perceived risk) with some bump up included. D Williams seems like the only guy who would demand a significant value counter part to balance out the deal in my mind. Wells at 11 seems like a guy that might buy you Megatron straight up too. No one else at RB seems close.

Id willing to bet Greg Jennings value never goes lower over the next 5 years, so if you want him nows the time. He was much more expensive last season. As long as the O-line performs like the last half of the season for GB, he's in for a big rebound next season. Only problem is most of his owners are aware of this, but if they're not he's a great target.

Darren McFadden is at bargain basement prices, so imo he is a good target if you have the roster space to keep em for 3 years no matter what. You're seriously probably going to be wating on his rookie contract to run up, but I personally believe he is capable. Guys like Mendenhall and S. Green will no longer come cheap, which does not make them as great of targets imo. You could have got them for pennies on the dollar at the beginning of last season, but no longer. They are not value plays at this point.

DeSean Jackson ending the season on a sour note with the rest of the Eagles makes him a quality target at the WR position.

Mike Wallace of Pitt is an interesting target. He'll def have the opportunity to claim a sig role in that O during the next 2 seasons. Unfortunately I'm not sure you can get a good deal on him at the moment. You'll have to pay a premium but if he becomes a stud it'll be well worth it.

Pierre Thomas never got healthy this season, and the Saints were on such a role they were content to use him sparingly in the rotation. If next season is a diff story, then it could mean big things for Pierre. He was one of the biggest bust of this past season, but don't hold a grudge heading in to next year.

Tom Brady ended the season with 5 straight poor performances, probably leading to an early exit from the playoffs for most of his owners. If you think he's still got it, now is the time to act. You'll want to make a play for him before it becomes evident the Welker will be back and healthy for next season. So its now or never.

Id willing to bet Greg Jennings value never goes lower over the next 5 years, so if you want him nows the time. He was much more expensive last season. As long as the O-line performs like the last half of the season for GB, he's in for a big rebound next season. Only problem is most of his owners are aware of this, but if they're not he's a great target.Darren McFadden is at bargain basement prices, so imo he is a good target if you have the roster space to keep em for 3 years no matter what. You're seriously probably going to be wating on his rookie contract to run up, but I personally believe he is capable. Guys like Mendenhall and S. Green will no longer come cheap, which does not make them as great of targets imo. You could have got them for pennies on the dollar at the beginning of last season, but no longer. They are not value plays at this point.DeSean Jackson ending the season on a sour note with the rest of the Eagles makes him a quality target at the WR position.Mike Wallace of Pitt is an interesting target. He'll def have the opportunity to claim a sig role in that O during the next 2 seasons. Unfortunately I'm not sure you can get a good deal on him at the moment. You'll have to pay a premium but if he becomes a stud it'll be well worth it.Pierre Thomas never got healthy this season, and the Saints were on such a role they were content to use him sparingly in the rotation. If next season is a diff story, then it could mean big things for Pierre. He was one of the biggest bust of this past season, but don't hold a grudge heading in to next year.Tom Brady ended the season with 5 straight poor performances, probably leading to an early exit from the playoffs for most of his owners. If you think he's still got it, now is the time to act. You'll want to make a play for him before it becomes evident the Welker will be back and healthy for next season. So its now or never.
From the offers I have sent out so far Wallace's price far exceeds his value. Anyone else seeing this?

Yeah I was kinda afraid of that on the Wallace pick, as I alluded to the premium on him being quite high. It really will depend on who owns him in your league. If its a owner that pays a lot of attention to young talent, then he's probably not even close to a value play. But if the owner is more the proven player type, then you might be in business.

Id willing to bet Greg Jennings value never goes lower over the next 5 years, so if you want him nows the time. He was much more expensive last season. As long as the O-line performs like the last half of the season for GB, he's in for a big rebound next season. Only problem is most of his owners are aware of this, but if they're not he's a great target.
Good post.
Tom Brady ended the season with 5 straight poor performances, probably leading to an early exit from the playoffs for most of his owners. If you think he's still got it, now is the time to act. You'll want to make a play for him before it becomes evident the Welker will be back and healthy for next season. So its now or never.
He definitely dropped in value, but he did have 4 TDs in week 16 and helped some league champs who survived his poor week 15. (His poor week 15 largely due to gameplanning against a terrible Buffalo run D.)

From the offers I have sent out so far Wallace's price far exceeds his value. Anyone else seeing this?
I'm the Wallace owner in my dynasty league, and I personally think his perceived value is greater than his actual value, so I'll be seeing if anyone in my league is interested in him this offseason. Don't get me wrong- I think he's a valuable developmental player, but I think at this point I could trade him for two other developmental players that I liked just as much. I would trade Wallace for any two of the following: Evans, Avery, Royal, James Jones, Knox, Bryant, Collie, Garcon, Gonzalez, Maclin, Hester, Breaston.

I'm surprised Dess, Hartline or Camarillo wasn't mentioned. All three are available as FA but we are not allowed to pickup until the season officially ends.

I'm surprised Dess, Hartline or Camarillo wasn't mentioned. All three are available as FA but we are not allowed to pickup until the season officially ends.
Tough for me to get excited about any of the Miami WRs right now. I guess Bess has the most ppr potential but I just don't think he's that good. They will probably bring someone in to be the #1 and their offense may not have room for another consistent contributer. Of the three, I think Hartline has the highest ceiling but the lowest floor.

S. Greene

Forsett

Finley
I think you're late to the party.
I don't think Forsett has had a party.
Or ever will. Finley is already pretty well accepted as a top 10 top 5 dynasty TE and Greene is a very hot prospect right now and was the only rook in last year's draft that I was trying (unsucsessfully) to get a mid 1st round pick for.
Fixed
Agree. By "pretty well accepted top 10" I meant that even the print mags and Johnny-come-lately guys will have him top 10. Guys like us that hang out on a fantasy msg board during the offseason will have him in or very near a top 5. Buying a guy accepted as a top 10 or top 5 guy is typically not what I target unless my team is so stacked that I need the roster space cleared up. I always try to get the top 30 (or 15 at TE & QB) guys that I think will become top 5. Once they're there, it is no longer a value play.

Agree. By "pretty well accepted top 10" I meant that even the print mags and Johnny-come-lately guys will have him top 10. Guys like us that hang out on a fantasy msg board during the offseason will have him in or very near a top 5. Buying a guy accepted as a top 10 or top 5 guy is typically not what I target unless my team is so stacked that I need the roster space cleared up. I always try to get the top 30 (or 15 at TE & QB) guys that I think will become top 5. Once they're there, it is no longer a value play.
Studs are always value plays, even if you have to overpay.

Studs are always value plays, even if you have to overpay.
That's pretty obtuse. I know you don't mean paying a top 5 QB for a top 5 TE, so what exactly is overpaying without overpaying? Everybody wants a stud at every position. Hell, I want 3 stud WRs and 3 stud RBs to go with my stud QB, stud backup QB and stud TE. Ks and DST still suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty obtuse. I know you don't mean paying a top 5 QB for a top 5 TE, so what exactly is overpaying without overpaying? Everybody wants a stud at every position. Hell, I want 3 stud WRs and 3 stud RBs to go with my stud QB, stud backup QB and stud TE. Ks and DST still suck.
If you can trade a lot of non-studs in exchange for a stud, it almost always winds up being a winning deal, even if it looks like you're giving up a lot on paper. Trade a pair of high firsts, even high firsts, for a Frank Gore or an Andre Johnson. Trade a top-20 WR, Antonio Gates, and a first for Larry Fitzgerald. These are all trades that went down in my league over the last two years. Some people thought it was a clear case of overpaying, but in retrospect all of those trades look like a bargain. The key is recognizing that the top tier of dynasty players tend to remain in the top tier for a long, long time, while the second tier is constantly churning and turning over. Even if a first tier player costs multiple second tier players, he's usually worth it.As an example of the kind of "overpaying" that I would do for studs... I would trade Rashard Mendenhall, Cedric Benson, and Greg Jennings for Ray Rice. That's the kind of deal that right now looks like overpaying, but which has a habit of looking like a pittance after a year or two of perspective. Although, to be perfectly honest, I think you could probably get Rice for less than that right now, anyway.

Yeah, well I doubt that. Who are they going to get?
Mike Vick? And before you snicker, remember what Vick did with Alge Crumpler in Atlanta. If not Vick, then I could see them winding up with any of a half dozen journeyman QBs either through free agency or trade (maybe an Orton, Campbell, Rosenfels type guy).

Felix, Choice, and Barber likely turn into 2 starting RB's next season as either MB3 or Choice gets moved.

Zach MillerGet a QB, he's putting up Witten #'s.
Yeah, well I doubt that. Who are they going to get?
Miller has fantastic talent to produce the yards per catch numbers that he does when he was the only viable target for the Raiders, but his second concussion has me thinking about trying to sell him for as much as I can get for him.

Royal is one I'm targeting as well. Would be interested to hear any deals involving him or what people are offering.
I wouldn't yet, McDaniels is too stupid to know how to use him. Target him next season when he gets off to another bad start and his value bottoms out.I'm gunning for Bowe, Felix Jones, and Henne everywhere I can. These are all guys their owners may have soured on a bit, I find those guys are easier to acquire than guys with upside that haven't been given their opportunity yet but should next season (i.e. Jacoby Jones, Jared Cook, etc.). Forgotten guys coming off serious injuries are ones I like to gamble on too, people like Laurent Robinson, Leon Washington, and Harry Douglas. These guys were going to get an opportunity before getting hurt, as long as they come back healthy they will get that same opportunity.
I have Henne in a couple of leagues and am targeting hm as well. Just picked up Laurent Robinson for a 3rd rounder next year and Royal for a first next year kinda ouch on Royal.

Users who are viewing this thread