What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (2 Viewers)

Chubb is doing exactly what everyone expected. If you want real value, go after Greg Bryant.Jalen Hurd, Racean Thomas, Elijah Hood, or Dalvin Cook.
Really? 2 of his runs were simply electric. Had it not been for the fact that Gurley was even more so electric than everyone would be talking about Chubb right now. I'd say he was above expectations last night.

Comparing to Gurley isn't close.

Gurley did not have the hype nor elite known measurables as Chubb. Chubb was a star at all the major HS camps. Even TJ Yeldon was more hyped than Gurley.

The DLF rankings are of only 4 members. DLF probably has 30+ writers and probably half of those play Devy. The Devy community is a lot larger than you think. You don't need to be part of a site to be considered credible. And you don't need rankings to be credible either.

Gurley was only 205 in HS and 215 in his first college game. He had speed but not the tackle breaking ability that Chubb showed. Chubb broke tackles from a standstill while defenders had full grasp on him. Gurley usually just bounces off guys or uses a stiff arm.

Chubb is doing exactly what everyone expected. If you want real value, go after Greg Bryant.Jalen Hurd, Racean Thomas, Elijah Hood, or Dalvin Cook.
Really? 2 of his runs were simply electric. Had it not been for the fact that Gurley was even more so electric than everyone would be talking about Chubb right now. I'd say he was above expectations last night.
A lot of people were probably afraid to overhype Chubb because he wasn't the #1 ranked RB and didn't remind them of a future HOF-er.

The DLF rankings are of only 4 members. DLF probably has 30+ writers and probably half of those play Devy. The Devy community is a lot larger than you think.
If "everyone" expected Chubb to look like a total beast from day one then you'd think at least one of those four DLF staff members would have had him ranked as an elite talent. Your earlier posts seemed to imply that nobody should have been surprised by Chubb's display because everyone expected him to be a monster, but that doesn't jive with my sense of things. I took him in BYB4 a few weeks ago, but he went undrafted in my 14 pick Deep End devy draft earlier this year and was undrafted in BYB5 as well. He was totally unranked in FF Oasis's offseason RB rankings, which are admittedly very outdated now (I think that site basically shut down?). He went 30th overall in the draft you posted in the devy thread. He's ranked at RB17 in the DLF list even after a couple guy's update their rankings today. He wasn't even a 5 star prospect on Scout, Rivals, or ESPN. 5-6 incoming freshmen RBs had higher consensus rankings by the recruiting services.

I'm not seeing much evidence that he was a unanimous elite asset going into this weekend. Maybe there were 1-2 guys per league who had him ranked high, but that hardly equates to "everyone." I think his showing this weekend will have opened a lot of eyes, but also that there are still lots of eyes left to be opened. If people in dev leagues have a reasonable opportunity to buy him right now, I'd certainly pounce on it because I think the price is heading up if he stays healthy.

On an unrelated note, I watched the Oregon game last night. I have been following their RB situation because I have Tyner in a couple leagues and because they have one of the better backfields in the country on paper. The buzz leading up to the game was that they had no clear starter at RB and that all three of the main competitors (Tyner, Marshall, and Freeman) were pretty much neck-and-neck.

This game helped clarify the picture a little bit. Tyner got the start, was the first RB to carry the ball, and was the primary RB for the first three drives. Marshall played a lot, but was used as more of the versatile RB/WR hybrid type of guy. Almost like what Shane Vereen is for the Patriots. He did well in that role. The 5* true freshman Freeman generated a huge buzz in camp practices. Watching the game, I felt like he was solid, but not spectacular. He is big and decisive with decent feet. He does not appear to have a great deal of explosiveness. More of a pure grinder. That's probably what will keep Tyner ahead of him, as Tyner has similar power and inside running ability with superior speed and explosion. Tyner never really got to open up his stride last night, but there were 1-2 plays where you could see the turbo gear coming into play. If they continue to feed him 10-20 carries per week, you can expect some home runs.

It wasn't the best game for evaluating these guys because South Dakota's defense was so overmatched that just about everything Oregon tried worked. They should have a more stern test next week against Michigan State. I'd look for the backs to occupy similar roles to what they had this week. Tyner probably starting the game and getting most of the early carries. Marshall getting the most receptions of the RBs. Freeman with mop-up duty.

EBF said:
LususV said:
I understand your POV, but I think we could also look back in 5 years after Henry, North, and Treadwell are perennial top-10 startup candidates and say they nailed it ;-)

Those guys have those 'you can't teach that' qualities that all truly elite players have. Sure, they could bust, as many 'star' prospects have before. But I'll take a chance at a superstar over a higher floor/lower ceiling guy.
Do they though? Or are they just highly-recruited players who showed flashes and became overrated because of high visibility and the SEC factor? If North has an identical season at Oregon State and Treadwell has an identical season at Wisconsin, is anyone talking about them right now? Same with Cooper. Nice player. Great player though? Ehhh. Still in question. He's just on a high platform because anything you do at Bama is magnified.

I'm not opposed to drafting for upside. Anyone who knows me knows that. Ironically, I actually took Thomas Tyner in both of my all-class devy leagues last season far higher than his expected draft slot. Even so, I think #3 is a very optimistic ranking right now. Not saying he won't be that good, but basically he has become massively hyped without necessarily showing anything beyond what he showed in high school.

If you want to talk about risk and upside, where are all the freshmen? Personally, I would take Fournette and Chubb over anyone from the Henry, North, and Treadwell group. Maybe that is a bit hard on Treadwell, be he was just a grunt last season. North made a splash with a few highlight reel type grabs. He has the right kind of body for the NFL. Can he run? Can he separate? Still very much in doubt. Probably 60-75% of Henry's hype came from that bowl game when he scored on fairly simple plays. It's not that he doesn't have potential, but lots of players have potential. I'm not sure his prospects are any brighter than the likes of Ezekiel Elliott, Fournette, and Chubb.

I think what happens in the devy community is that a small collection of high-visibility players dominate the spotlight and soak up most of the hype. Sometimes it is justified, but many times their talent is grossly exaggerated compared to the field of players as a whole. It's why I recommend looking at a list like this as a rough starting point rather than taking it as gospel.
This was from a different thread but....

Treadwell is legit. So is Henry. I think North is overrated. I had De'Runnya Wilson over him. Wilson is 6-5 225 and in the SEC and no one is talking about him. Big year is coming.

As we saw from Fournette, the guy is overrated just like I've been telling everyone. No excuses.

EBF said:
Xue said:
The DLF rankings are of only 4 members. DLF probably has 30+ writers and probably half of those play Devy. The Devy community is a lot larger than you think.
If "everyone" expected Chubb to look like a total beast from day one then you'd think at least one of those four DLF staff members would have had him ranked as an elite talent. Your earlier posts seemed to imply that nobody should have been surprised by Chubb's display because everyone expected him to be a monster, but that doesn't jive with my sense of things. I took him in BYB4 a few weeks ago, but he went undrafted in my 14 pick Deep End devy draft earlier this year and was undrafted in BYB5 as well. He was totally unranked in FF Oasis's offseason RB rankings, which are admittedly very outdated now (I think that site basically shut down?). He went 30th overall in the draft you posted in the devy thread. He's ranked at RB17 in the DLF list even after a couple guy's update their rankings today. He wasn't even a 5 star prospect on Scout, Rivals, or ESPN. 5-6 incoming freshmen RBs had higher consensus rankings by the recruiting services.

I'm not seeing much evidence that he was a unanimous elite asset going into this weekend. Maybe there were 1-2 guys per league who had him ranked high, but that hardly equates to "everyone." I think his showing this weekend will have opened a lot of eyes, but also that there are still lots of eyes left to be opened. If people in dev leagues have a reasonable opportunity to buy him right now, I'd certainly pounce on it because I think the price is heading up if he stays healthy.
FF Oasis joined DLF, just an FYI.

Treadwell looks good. I've come around on him. North...not so much. Probably still take Chubb over Henry too.

I agree that Fournette looks disappointing.

On an unrelated note, I watched the Oregon game last night. I have been following their RB situation because I have Tyner in a couple leagues and because they have one of the better backfields in the country on paper. The buzz leading up to the game was that they had no clear starter at RB and that all three of the main competitors (Tyner, Marshall, and Freeman) were pretty much neck-and-neck.

This game helped clarify the picture a little bit. Tyner got the start, was the first RB to carry the ball, and was the primary RB for the first three drives. Marshall played a lot, but was used as more of the versatile RB/WR hybrid type of guy. Almost like what Shane Vereen is for the Patriots. He did well in that role. The 5* true freshman Freeman generated a huge buzz in camp practices. Watching the game, I felt like he was solid, but not spectacular. He is big and decisive with decent feet. He does not appear to have a great deal of explosiveness. More of a pure grinder. That's probably what will keep Tyner ahead of him, as Tyner has similar power and inside running ability with superior speed and explosion. Tyner never really got to open up his stride last night, but there were 1-2 plays where you could see the turbo gear coming into play. If they continue to feed him 10-20 carries per week, you can expect some home runs.

It wasn't the best game for evaluating these guys because South Dakota's defense was so overmatched that just about everything Oregon tried worked. They should have a more stern test next week against Michigan State. I'd look for the backs to occupy similar roles to what they had this week. Tyner probably starting the game and getting most of the early carries. Marshall getting the most receptions of the RBs. Freeman with mop-up duty.
Watched Oregon's offensive plays against MSU tonight. Once again Tyner got the start, Marshall worked more as a slot back/joker, and Freeman did a lot of damage late in the game. I thought Tyner ran okay, but his stat line was pretty brutal (13 for 33). Some of that was circumstantial, as he had 3 carries within the 3 yard line and generally didn't have great blocking in front of him. Almost all of his carries were inside runs. Freeman ran strong and had very solid stats (13 for 89 with a couple TDs). With his frame, his 5* background, and his early impact, he will certainly be moving up the devy charts. He got almost all of the carries over the last 1.5 quarters and could end up leading this team in rushing. However, his two long runs in the 4th quarter (one of which can be seen here) were due more to good blocking and playcalling than spectacular individual effort.

Here are some of the prominent names on my all-class watch list, loosely arranged by talent.

RUNNING BACKS

Todd Gurley, Georgia

Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin

Nick Chubb, Georgia

Thomas Tyner, Oregon

Michael Dyer, Louisville

Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

Mike Davis, South Carolina

TJ Yeldon, Alabama

Alex Collins, Arkansas

Derrick Henry, Alabama

Royce Freeman, Oregon

Elijah Hood, North Carolina

Jay Ajayi, Boise State

Javorius "Buck" Allen, USC

Corey Clement, Wisconsin

Greg Bryant, Notre Dame

Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State

Derrick Green, Michigan

Kareem Hunt, Toledo

Robert Lowe, Texas State

Leonard Fournette, LSU

Byron Marshall, Oregon

Keith Marshall, Georgia

RECEIVERS
Devin Funchess, Michigan

Amari Cooper, Alabama

Ty Montgomery, Stanford

Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss

Ricky Seals-Jones, Texas A&M

Tyreek Hill, Oklahoma State

Stefon Diggs, Maryland

Speedy Noil, Texas A&M

Dorial Green-Beckham, ???

I think RB is really deep and talented right now. There are good backs of every style and at every grade level.

I haven't really spent any time looking at QBs lately. I have a good list of names at TE, but nobody that I'd really be itching to get in a devy draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing the Tyner love, personally. He's fast and that's all that sticks out to me.
Not just fast, but also big and strong. He's probably going to run a 4.3X 40 at 5'11" 215+ pounds. It's fairly easy to find a guy who is big OR fast, but rare to find someone who's both. I've DVR'd both of Oregon's games this season and he has looked pretty good. He seems more solid and compact than last year. The game flow and usage haven't really worked in favor of his stats though, as he's been used almost exclusively on inside running plays without getting the benefit of mopping up in the 4th quarter (where Freeman has done almost all of his damage). He should have plenty of big weeks this season. Just hasn't happened yet.

I'm not seeing the Tyner love, personally. He's fast and that's all that sticks out to me.
Not just fast, but also big and strong. He's probably going to run a 4.3X 40 at 5'11" 215+ pounds. It's fairly easy to find a guy who is big OR fast, but rare to find someone who's both. I've DVR'd both of Oregon's games this season and he has looked pretty good. He seems more solid and compact than last year. The game flow and usage haven't really worked in favor of his stats though, as he's been used almost exclusively on inside running plays without getting the benefit of mopping up in the 4th quarter (where Freeman has done almost all of his damage). He should have plenty of big weeks this season. Just hasn't happened yet.
Thanks for your thoughts. I was more interested in him when it was suggested he'd be up around 230. As is, he's kind of a Keith Marshall with lesser cuts and a tick slower, to my eyes.

I'll need to watch more. I've only seen what I've caught on TV, for the most part.

I like Tyner, but not as much as EBF does. I have him even with Collins and Greg Bryant with Henry the clearcut #1 of that class.
Compare Tyner and Collins, if you don't mind. Tyner's footwork, vision, and patience--I love watching Collins set up his blocks--seem to be a step behind when comparing the two, at the very least.

I can buy the argument that Tyner could be a Collins level prospect, if given the opportunity to prove it. But, in my opinion, he hasn't. So much of Tyner's production comes from runs in which he's not touched for 5+ yards--especially those sweeps out of the read option. Collins has carried a full load in the SEC without a passing game defenses have to respect, in a pro-system, while breaking SEC freshman records in the process. Other than his straight line speed--I just don't see anything that puts Tyner in the conversation with Collins.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was more interested in him when it was suggested he'd be up around 230. As is, he's kind of a Keith Marshall with lesser cuts and a tick slower, to my eyes.

I'll need to watch more. I've only seen what I've caught on TV, for the most part.
Marshall and Tyner both have a track background, but they aren't built similarly despite listed dimensions and they don't run alike at all. Every player is different and Tyner is particularly unique in terms of running style and movement. He doesn't really remind me of anyone that I can think of. I think you're sleeping on his talent a bit though. He was a 5* prospect and a Freshman All-American for a reason. He had more rushing yards in his first year at Oregon than Lache Seastrunk, Jonathan Stewart, LaMichael James, Jeremiah Johnson, Kenjon Barner, or De'Anthony Thomas and all of those guys have played in the NFL. He also holds the state HS record for rushing yards in a season (3,415). He has the best 100m time in Oregon HS history (ahead of recent Olympic finalist Ryan Bailey) and he did that as a sophomore. His 10.35 100m best as a junior is near Spiller-Peterson-Charles levels and that's without running track as a senior. Beyond all of that, he's STRONG and I think that's the one aspect of his game that you might be underselling. He's not a nifty runner like Abdullah who's going to weave through traffic and make jaw-dropping cuts. He is agile enough behind his blocks though, he's a capable power runner, and when you create a lane for him nobody will catch him. Add it all up and he's a pretty unique package of skills. Comparable in function to someone like Ryan Mathews, albeit with a different look and style. Neither guy is a great make-you-miss runner, but they can do all the dirty work as power runners and they have the added bonus of being abnormally fast for their size.

I think he has looked pretty good this year and I think we just haven't seen him get a great opportunity to have a breakout game and bust some long ones. In week one he ran almost exclusively up the middle and was rested for the final portion of the game when the defense was most vulnerable. In week 2 he faced a tough Michigan State D, ran almost exclusively between the tackles, and once again barely played down the stretch (sat out the last 1.5 quarters when Freeman was running wild through huge lanes). He's not going to get a lot of 20+ carry games with Freeman and Marshall around, but I suggest recording a couple Oregon games and watching him as the season unfolds. He will get his fair share of yards, IMO.

I like Tyner, but not as much as EBF does. I have him even with Collins and Greg Bryant with Henry the clearcut #1 of that class.
Compare Tyner and Collins, if you don't mind. Tyner's footwork, vision, and patience--I love watching Collins set up his blocks--seem to be a step behind when comparing the two, at the very least.

I can buy the argument that Tyner could be a Collins level prospect, if given the opportunity to prove it. But, in my opinion, he hasn't. So much of Tyner's production comes from runs in which he's not touched for 5+ yards--especially those sweeps out of the read option. Collins has carried a full load in the SEC without a passing game defenses have to respect, in a pro-system, while breaking SEC freshman records in the process. Other than his straight line speed--I just don't see anything that puts Tyner in the conversation with Collins.
Tyner is a slightly better athlete. But, yes, the knock I do have on him is the offense he plays in. Better top end speed than Collins.

Collins has some of the best vision I've seen. His main knock would be poor top end speed. I've compared him to Isaiah Crowell without as much power.

I'm doing a weekly devy feature for Scout.com Fantasy/FF Toolbox this year. It's pretty light reading if you're already familiar with these guys, but if you don't have time to follow box scores every week then it will cover some of the broad strokes and the major names. Here are the first two installments:

Week One

Week Two

And here are all of the offseason prospect profiles that I did:

Michael Dyer

Thomas Tyner

Stefon Diggs

Ameer Abdullah

I'm doing a weekly devy feature for Scout.com Fantasy/FF Toolbox this year. It's pretty light reading if you're already familiar with these guys, but if you don't have time to follow box scores every week then it will cover some of the broad strokes and the major names. Here are the first two installments:

Week One

Week Two

Michael Dyer

Thomas Tyner

Stefon Diggs

Ameer Abdullah
First 2 links are premium content.

FYI

Week One

Week Two

Michael Dyer

Thomas Tyner

Stefon Diggs

Ameer Abdullah
First 2 links are premium content.

FYI
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Well obviously everyone should get a subscription then. :nerd:

Week One

Week Two

Michael Dyer

Thomas Tyner

Stefon Diggs

Ameer Abdullah
Good reads.

Where did you hear this, though? "[Tyner] ran a 4.30 40-yard dash in middle school." I highly doubt he ran a legit 4.3 flat at 13-15 YO.

Week One

Week Two

Michael Dyer

Thomas Tyner

Stefon Diggs

Ameer Abdullah
Good reads.

Where did you hear this, though? "[Tyner] ran a 4.30 40-yard dash in middle school." I highly doubt he ran a legit 4.3 flat at 13-15 YO.
I said he ran a 4.3 40 (which is allegedly true) and the copy editor turned that into 4.30. :shrug:

Bear in mind that stopwatch times are not necessarily reliable.

All the same, it serves the overall point, which is that the guy has always been super fast for his age group.

I said he ran a 4.3 40 (which is allegedly true) and the copy editor turned that into 4.30. :shrug:

Bear in mind that stopwatch times are not necessarily reliable.

All the same, it serves the overall point, which is that the guy has always been super fast for his age group
The time is obviously not accurate. I was just hoping to see the source for myself to see if there was some additional context to explain the error (on their part; not yours).

Very nice start to the season for James Conner, averaging 181 rushing yards and almost 3 TDs per game. He's played against a couple of weak teams but still impressive nonetheless. It's too bad he's a true Soph though, cause it looks like Pitt will be comfortable running him into the ground the next 2 years; 31+ carries in each of the last 2 games, yeesh.

Demarcus Robinson (FLA) is putting up crazy numbers to start the season. He'll be on the devy radar soon enough, if he can stay out of trouble.

Demarcus Robinson (FLA) is putting up crazy numbers to start the season. He'll be on the devy radar soon enough, if he can stay out of trouble.
Only saw the one game, but Robinson didn't strike me as that great of a prospect despite his numbers. Big time body catcher, not much in the open field besides running in a straight line, pretty skinny. He's still young though and it was really only 1 game, so plenty of opportunity for him to change my mind.

Only saw the one game, but Robinson didn't strike me as that great of a prospect despite his numbers. Big time body catcher, not much in the open field besides running in a straight line, pretty skinny. He's still young though and it was really only 1 game, so plenty of opportunity for him to change my mind.
Definitely lean, but also fast. Haven't seen enough to comment on his hands.

Two other lean, fast young WRs flashing big potential this season:

KD Cannon, Baylor

Travin Dural, LSU

They both rank top 5 in the nation in 25+ yard catches through three games. Dural looks like he might be the better pro prospect of the two. Not thick, but tall and fast with what looks like pretty good body control and receiving ability. I would expect those two to keep making waves this season.

I watched both games and have to agree. I was only watching the games as a fan, but he didn't really stick out to me either, aside from him being open and pulling it in so often. That said, sometimes the TV format doesn't allow for much more than that at the WR spot, assuming a player isn't physically imposing.

But you can't ignore those numbers, if they hold deep into the conference schedule.

EBF said:
LususV said:
I understand your POV, but I think we could also look back in 5 years after Henry, North, and Treadwell are perennial top-10 startup candidates and say they nailed it ;-)

Those guys have those 'you can't teach that' qualities that all truly elite players have. Sure, they could bust, as many 'star' prospects have before. But I'll take a chance at a superstar over a higher floor/lower ceiling guy.
Do they though? Or are they just highly-recruited players who showed flashes and became overrated because of high visibility and the SEC factor? If North has an identical season at Oregon State and Treadwell has an identical season at Wisconsin, is anyone talking about them right now? Same with Cooper. Nice player. Great player though? Ehhh. Still in question. He's just on a high platform because anything you do at Bama is magnified.

I'm not opposed to drafting for upside. Anyone who knows me knows that. Ironically, I actually took Thomas Tyner in both of my all-class devy leagues last season far higher than his expected draft slot. Even so, I think #3 is a very optimistic ranking right now. Not saying he won't be that good, but basically he has become massively hyped without necessarily showing anything beyond what he showed in high school.

If you want to talk about risk and upside, where are all the freshmen? Personally, I would take Fournette and Chubb over anyone from the Henry, North, and Treadwell group. Maybe that is a bit hard on Treadwell, be he was just a grunt last season. North made a splash with a few highlight reel type grabs. He has the right kind of body for the NFL. Can he run? Can he separate? Still very much in doubt. Probably 60-75% of Henry's hype came from that bowl game when he scored on fairly simple plays. It's not that he doesn't have potential, but lots of players have potential. I'm not sure his prospects are any brighter than the likes of Ezekiel Elliott, Fournette, and Chubb.

I think what happens in the devy community is that a small collection of high-visibility players dominate the spotlight and soak up most of the hype. Sometimes it is justified, but many times their talent is grossly exaggerated compared to the field of players as a whole. It's why I recommend looking at a list like this as a rough starting point rather than taking it as gospel.
This was from a different thread but....

Treadwell is legit. So is Henry. I think North is overrated. I had De'Runnya Wilson over him. Wilson is 6-5 225 and in the SEC and no one is talking about him. Big year is coming.

As we saw from Fournette, the guy is overrated just like I've been telling everyone. No excuses.
De'Runya Wilson looks like Kelvin Benjamin 2.0, great call there.

Malachi Dupre finally got some playing time and looked great. His Devy value gonna shoot up next year just like Treadwell's did.

Amari Cooper! To be fair to Hargreaves III, the big damage came outside of their 1-on-1 matchup. But we still saw Cooper win the matchup overall, against a top 3 cover guy in the nation. I've never been completely sold on Cooper, in large part due to the measurables. Until now.

Jared Goff (QB, Cal) is going to start to get some notice when he has a good game against a good team. Listed at 6'4", 210, he's showing good accuracy, and so far has thrown 10 TDs against 2 INTs (both off tipped balls that should have been caught). Last year his yardage came mostly from a huge number of attempts (528), but this year his yards/attempt is at 10.3.

Malachi Dupre finally got some playing time and looked great. His Devy value gonna shoot up next year just like Treadwell's did.
My concern for Dupre is he reportedly runs a 4.60 not sure if that will cut it in the NFL. IF the reported time is true.

My concern for Dupre is he reportedly runs a 4.60 not sure if that will cut it in the NFL. IF the reported time is true.
He has plenty of time to get bigger and faster. Blazing speed isn't his strength anyway. He does have a 40"+ vertical showed it on the field in high school.

Jared Goff had an amazing game against Colorado, 7 TDs (6 in regulation). Still not a good enough opponent to get national notice, but his last two fourth-quarter TDs (one a 75-yarder to tie the game, one a 40-yarder on third down to take the lead) were both amazing plays.

I think of the receiving corps, the guy who is going to get the most NFL recognition is Kenny Lawler. Listed at 6'3", 195, reasonably fast and consistently makes amazing leaping and one-handed catches. His route-running isn't great but he wins all the jump balls.

Users who are viewing this thread