What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Sleeper List (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
Whenever I'm preparing for a dynasty draft, I try to build a list of quality sleepers who look like they have a chance to emerge from obscurity and become steals. I just finished a draft today, so I have a fresh set of players in mind. Without further ado, here are some of the better sleepers I'm focusing on this offseason:

QB Trent Edwards, Bills - After starting the season in top form last year, Edwards hit a downswing that culminated in a disastrous performance on national TV against the Browns. Almost everyone has cooled off on his FF value, but I still think he has the potential to develop into a franchise quarterback. From the moment he entered the league, almost all of the tea leaves surrounding Edwards have been positive. He dominated in his first preseason and quickly nudged incumbent JP Losman aside. He must have inspired a lot of faith in the organization because they've made no significant effort to replace him either of the last two seasons. His statistics improved across the board last season and if he can stay healthy, he might finally earn some respect this season. Currently ranked as the dynasty QB28 by the FBG staff, Edwards has the potential to finish the season among the top 15. He's an ideal QB2 in dynasty leagues if you have a solid starter.

RB Pierre Thomas, Saints - Thomas made a big splash last season with a string of several big games towards the end of the season. His value appeared to be in jeopardy as the Saints flirted with Moreno and Wells in the draft, but Pierre owners dodged a bullet when neither of those nightmare scenarios played out. I'm not convinced that Thomas has the elite talent needed to become a long term top 10 dynasty back, but he looks like a very good bet to put together a strong 2009 season and achieve a nice value bump over the next 12 months. Reggie Bush is recovering from microfracture surgery and is best in a complementary role anyway. Thomas looks like he could be one of the key players who emerge from the middle rounds to help teams win titles this season. At his current price tag of dynasty RB23, he offers a nice short term upside at a modest cost.

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers - The Steelers have a phenomenal track record in the first round of the draft, having netted such players as Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Holmes, and Burress in recent years. When the Steelers take someone in the first round, he almost always becomes a solid player. Rashard Mendenhall didn't achieve the immediate success that many FF owners hoped for, but he's still only 21 years old and he appears to have the total package of football skills and physical talent needed to seize the starting job in Pittsburgh. Willie Parker is in the final year of his contract, meaning Mendenhall will be given every opportunity to prove his worth and become the man in this backfield. I think he'll be starting no later than 2010. He's currently ranked as the #32 dynasty RB by the FBG staff. He probably won't fall that far in most drafts, but he's a tremendous value in the RB20-RB25 range once the quality starters are all spoken for.

RB Shonn Greene, Jets - Greene is a classic battering ram in the mold of Rudi Johnson or Stephen Davis. The Jets traded up to get him at the top of the third round this year, which indicates to me that they think he can step in and become their franchise back of the future. Thomas Jones is in the last year of his contract and Leon Washington is probably better suited to a complementary role, so I look for Greene to emerge as the starter here in 2010. He doesn't have the elite speed of Tomlinson or Peterson and his limited receiving skills might put a low cap on his upside, but he has all the makings of a quality war horse who can grind out multiple 1200+ yard rushing seasons and become a steady RB2 for FF teams. Currently ranked as the dynasty RB30 by FBG, Greene is an ideal RB3 for FF teams.

WR Percy Harvin, Vikings - I have Harvin ranked as the third best rookie in this class behind Moreno and Crabtree. Arguably the best skill position talent in the draft, Harvin still faces skepticism from the FF community for a variety of reasons. Some people say he's a RB/WR tweener, but at 5'11" 192 pounds, he's built almost identically to Laveranues Coles. Some people say he's injury prone, but much of that can be attributed to taking carries out of the backfield, something the vast majority of WR prospects weren't asked to do. Some people say he's a character risk, but he's known as an extremely competitive individual who works hard and plays hard. I expect Harvin to be one of the most impressive rookies in this class immediately and I think he's a great value in dynasty drafts at the WR38 spot where he's currently ranked by the FBG staff. I would take him over 10-15 of the guys ranked ahead of him.

WR Devin Hester, Bears - Everyone knows Hester's name because of his exploits as a return man, but most people probably don't realize that he might be on the cusp of breaking out as a WR. Hester is a raw talent who didn't get much experience at WR in college because his coaches were constantly moving him around. However, he has shown big improvement as an offensive player over the past two seasons, logging 30 catches in his final 8 games last year. Now he's entering his fateful third season as a receiver and he finally has a capable QB at the helm in Jay Cutler. Could he be this year's Eddie Royal? He looks like the most talented WR on the roster by a wide margin, so 1,000+ yards is not out of the question. He's currently ranked as the #60 dynasty WR by FBG. He won't fall that far in shark drafts, but he's still a monster value play as a WR4-WR5 with WR2 upside.

WR Brandon Tate, Patriots - Tate is a gifted prospect who was just coming into his own last season at North Carolina before suffering a catastrophic knee injury. Outside of the 6 WRs drafted in the first round of this year's NFL draft, I think he has the highest ceiling of any pass catcher in the draft. He's a fluid player with good mobility and hands. With Randy Moss on the wrong side of 30, Tate could emerge as the New England's new Troy Brown a couple years down the road. His price tag is surprisingly high as the current WR45 on the FBG staff rankings, but he'll slip farther than that in many drafts and is an excellent gamble as a long term developmental WR for your bench.

TE Martellus Bennett, Cowboys - Martellus Bennett is the Jonathan Stewart of RBs, but he can be had hundreds of picks later in your drafts. Most people don't know about him and those that do are scared of the fact that he's stuck behind Jason Witten. Take advantage of this situation and grab him cheap. Bennett is a gifted athlete in the mold of Antonio Gates. In addition to being a top football recruit out of high school, he was also one of the top basketball recruits in the country. He was such a good prospect that he was given a second round NBA draft grade. He ultimately decided on football and became a 2nd round pick by the Dallas Cowboys. He's a raw talent who flashed good potential in spot duty last season. There are those around the Cowboys organization who believe he has the potential to become one of the top 2-3 TEs in the entire league. Nevertheless, he routinely slips out of the top 20 TEs in dynasty drafts. Mammoth value at his ADP. He's currently ranked as the 28th best dynasty TE by FBG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting list, especially since I was just offered Edwards in one of my dynasties. He's a big question mark IMO and the one I can't put a finger on. Adding TO, doing the no-huddle, etc. It's now or never for him IMO. I agree with most on this list, (except Hester).

nice list. I wouldnt call Mendenhall a sleeper but you can probbly hae him cheap due to the fact that he is under the radar

two WR from last years draft that you can get really later are

Devin Thomas - Wash

James Hardy - Buff

Interesting list, especially since I was just offered Edwards in one of my dynasties. He's a big question mark IMO and the one I can't put a finger on. Adding TO, doing the no-huddle, etc. It's now or never for him IMO. I agree with most on this list, (except Hester).
I agree that Edwards needs to play well this year to keep his job next year, but I think people tend to underrated him because he wasn't an early pick. He's been a better QB than JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn thus far. Had he been a first round pick, he'd probably have a lot more hype. He posted a solid 85.4 QB rating and made some big clutch throws. He needs to prove that he's more than a dink-and-dunker, but I like his upside at his dirt cheap cost. I think he can be the next Hasselbeck.

nice list. I wouldnt call Mendenhall a sleeper but you can probbly hae him cheap due to the fact that he is under the radartwo WR from last years draft that you can get really later areDevin Thomas - WashJames Hardy - Buff
Thomas would be on an extended list that includes longshots. I think he has a chance.Hardy? Meh. Not buying it, but anything is possible with young players.

I'm an Edwards fan and think he's done well and has the ability to take a big step forward--particularly with the addition of more offensive weapons. Good call.

nice list. I wouldnt call Mendenhall a sleeper but you can probbly hae him cheap due to the fact that he is under the radartwo WR from last years draft that you can get really later areDevin Thomas - WashJames Hardy - Buff
I like Kelly better in wash
I dontbut hey both seem to be battling injuries. Heck Washington just signed Roydell Williams and was looking at other re-treads

EBF- from your post draft rookie rankings:

4. WR Hakeem Nicks, Giants

Nicks has good size and adequate mobility to become a WR1 in the NFL. I think he can produce immediately and eventually become a Dwayne Bowe type for the Giants. He doesn’t have the blazing speed of Maclin or Heyward-Bey, but he’s a better underneath target and not as enigmatic.

Are you still just as high on Nicks?

EBF- from your post draft rookie rankings:4. WR Hakeem Nicks, GiantsNicks has good size and adequate mobility to become a WR1 in the NFL. I think he can produce immediately and eventually become a Dwayne Bowe type for the Giants. He doesn’t have the blazing speed of Maclin or Heyward-Bey, but he’s a better underneath target and not as enigmatic. Are you still just as high on Nicks?
Yea, I like Nicks. I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar, but I think he'll be a 1000+ yard WR and I think he has the potential to produce immediately. He's the best WR on the Giants right now. I didn't list him here because he's not sliding as far in drafts as Harvin/Greene.

very nice list.

i'd add Mark Clayton - he's not a STUD, but with Mason aging (ala Galloway of last year), Clayton can have a semi-breakout year as a WR2 in fantasy, with an emerging Joe Flacco.

very nice list.i'd add Mark Clayton - he's not a STUD, but with Mason aging (ala Galloway of last year), Clayton can have a semi-breakout year as a WR2 in fantasy, with an emerging Joe Flacco.
He has shown some signs of life, but I think what you see is mostly what you get with him.He's a good player who will stick around the league for a while. I don't see a lot of upside for FF leagues.

Dont really see Pierre Thomas as a sleeper anymore, and his owners(the ones ive dealt with) arent selling him cheap either

Guys id add as good value targets in later rds of dynasty drafts...

J.Jones/J.Nelson

M.Walker

P.Garcon/A.Collie

B.Celek

L.Robinson/K.Burton

A.Foster

E.Bennett/Iglesias

Sweed/M.Wallace

James Davis

Miles Austin

David Clowney

Dont really see Pierre Thomas as a sleeper anymore, and his owners(the ones ive dealt with) arent selling him cheap either

Guys id add as good value targets in later rds of dynasty drafts...

J.Jones/J.Nelson

M.Walker

P.Garcon/A.Collie

B.Celek

L.Robinson/K.Burton

A.Foster

E.Bennett/Iglesias

Sweed/M.Wallace

James Davis

Miles Austin

David Clowney
:shrug:

nice list!

Especially like the ones in bold.

Sleeper might not have been the best word. Guys like Pierre Thomas and Rashard Mendenhall are well known, but I think they both have a good chance to outperform their current cost. That's the theme of the list.

J.Jones/J.NelsonM.WalkerL.Robinson/K.BurtonSweed/M.Wallace
These guys would all be on my extended longshots list.

Scratch B.Celek off your list, as the Eagles drafted Cornelius Ingram who Bloom says will quickly take over the passcatching duties.

What about Felix Jones? Seems to be pretty far down most rankings and he could end up the "starter" in the Julius Jones role or Barber could get hurt again. His per touch stats last year are pretty amazing.

Scratch B.Celek off your list, as the Eagles drafted Cornelius Ingram who Bloom says will quickly take over the passcatching duties.
I'm not scratching him off my list. He had some good games last year, some rookie who is all upside coming off an injury doesn't render this guy useless just yet. These rookies all look like world beaters in April, don't they? Not really thrilled about Philly TEs in general, tho.

Nicks has good size and adequate mobility to become a WR1 in the NFL. I think he can produce immediately and eventually become a Dwayne Bowe type for the Giants. He doesn’t have the blazing speed of Maclin or Heyward-Bey, but he’s a better underneath target and not as enigmatic.

Yea, I like Nicks. I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar, but I think he'll be a 1000+ yard WR and I think he has the potential to produce immediately. He's the best WR on the Giants right now.
If this is the prevailing opinion, then I am putting Steve Smith on my sleeper list. No knock on Nicks, but I absolutely love the situation Smith is in, especially with no Braylon trade (yet).

What about Felix Jones? Seems to be pretty far down most rankings and he could end up the "starter" in the Julius Jones role or Barber could get hurt again. His per touch stats last year are pretty amazing.
Good player, but he is a starter or is he a committee back? I think that's the big question with him. As good as he is, he will probably only have startable FF value if he gets 200-300 touches per season.

Yea, I like Nicks. I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar, but I think he'll be a 1000+ yard WR and I think he has the potential to produce immediately. He's the best WR on the Giants right now.
If this is the prevailing opinion, then I am putting Steve Smith on my sleeper list. No knock on Nicks, but I absolutely love the situation Smith is in, especially with no Braylon trade (yet).
I've been following Smith for a long time and I've always viewed him as a complementary player like Engram.Maybe he can put up some numbers in that offense, but I think Nicks has more upside today and tomorrow.

Love the IDEA of this post

but " sleeper " ?

R.Mendenhall ?

P.Harvin ?

P.Thomas ?

i dont think these would be sleepers not even in the shallowest of leagues

start talking guys like

J.Finley

D.Dixon

and ect ..

I've been following Smith for a long time and I've always viewed him as a complementary player like Engram.Maybe he can put up some numbers in that offense, but I think Nicks has more upside today and tomorrow.
:thumbup: That's the same comparison I've been making, I think Smith's ceiling is Engram like numbers, where as Nicks has a higher ceiling.

Talent-wise, I agree with you, but Eli will rely on Smith more this year as the rookie learns the ropes. I just don't see him coming into the league and having an immediate impact like some rookies do. he could end up with around 60/800, but Smith will be the guy to have this year.

Love the IDEA of this post but " sleeper " ? R.Mendenhall ? P.Harvin ? P.Thomas ? i dont think these would be sleepers not even in the shallowest of leagues start talking guys like J.Finley D.Dixonand ect ..
Dixon - only in the deepest of leagues.my :wall:Johnny Lee Higgins - as DHB gets the hype, JLH gets the yardsLeRon McClain - people should be awake on him, they're notBrad Cottam - we're awake, most aren't

I think Harvin is a special talent, but I feel that he has the most competition for snaps of the first seven WR's drafted (DHB, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, Britt and Robiskie). Berrian is the deep threat, while Rice is the athletic possession receiver. I feel as if Harvin fits too perfectly in the slot...especially with his ability to carry the ball on reverses, etc 2-3 times per game.

Granted...dynasty league owners should not be overly concerned with current situations when evaluating talent, but Berrian and Rice will be with the Vikes for a couple more years. I think Harvin will have too much competition for catches to out-duel guys like Crabtree, Nicks and DHB for production.

RB Pierre Thomas, Saints

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers

RB Shonn Greene, Jets

WR Devin Hester, Bears
I'll drink the Kool-Aid on these guys, I think you've nailed it..Mendenhall,eventually, should become the starting RB in Pitt..but FWP is hanging around.Shonn Green is a no brainer, he could do this year what Le 'Ron McClain did last year in Balt.

Hester - he'll do well, but I'm not buying the Eddie Royal reference..Chicago ranked 21st in ypg last season, 29th in yards per attempt, 14th in att, 26th in pass plays of 20+ yards, 29th in pass plays of 40+ yards (3). Denver was one of the best passing offenses in 2008.

Cutler adds some bite to the passing offense, but he's just as prone to committing turnovers as Orten was..

Disagree on Harvin, and I think the better rookie WR will be Hakeem Nicks, NYG....better short term, much better long term.

TE Martellus Bennett, Cowboys - Martellus Bennett is the Jonathan Stewart of RBs, but he can be had hundreds of picks later in your drafts. Most people don't know about him and those that do are scared of the fact that he's stuck behind Jason Witten. Take advantage of this situation and grab him cheap. Bennett is a gifted athlete in the mold of Antonio Gates. In addition to being a top football recruit out of high school, he was also one of the top basketball recruits in the country. He was such a good prospect that he was given a second round NBA draft grade. He ultimately decided on football and became a 2nd round pick by the Dallas Cowboys. He's a raw talent who flashed good potential in spot duty last season. There are those around the Cowboys organization who believe he has the potential to become one of the top 2-3 TEs in the entire league. Nevertheless, he routinely slips out of the top 20 TEs in dynasty drafts. Mammoth value at his ADP. He's currently ranked as the 28th best dynasty TE by FBG.
In what year are you seeing him becoming a relevant FF player? Stewart saw significant action as a rookie. I don't see Bennett getting enough targets anytime in the next two years. Unless you have a really deep bench, is it really worth using it on a spot for a TE that may not see enough targets for 3 years?

RB Pierre Thomas, Saints

RB Shonn Greene, Jets

WR Devin Hester, Bears
I'll drink the Kool-Aid on these guys, I think you've nailed it..Mendenhall,eventually, should become the starting RB in Pitt..but FWP is hanging around.Shonn Green is a no brainer, he could do this year what Le 'Ron McClain did last year in Balt.

Hester - he'll do well, but I'm not buying the Eddie Royal reference..Chicago ranked 21st in ypg last season, 29th in yards per attempt, 14th in att, 26th in pass plays of 20+ yards, 29th in pass plays of 40+ yards (3). Denver was one of the best passing offenses in 2008.

Cutler adds some bite to the passing offense, but he's just as prone to committing turnovers as Orten was..

Disagree on Harvin, and I think the better rookie WR will be Hakeem Nicks, NYG....better short term, much better long term.
I don't buy this either.

A quality WR in college and in his first year in the NFL (Royal) vs a return guy by trade (Hester) who's trying to develop into a decent WR (on a run-oriented team no less).

IIRC the word was that Miami tried Hester @ WR, but he had trouble grasping the offensive scheme.

So far, I don't see much of any instinctive WR skills in Hester. Doesn't mean he won't (with hard work) turn into a viable WR.

But I'd be surprised if he comes close to equaling Royal's production (WR-wise) in any given year.

but " sleeper " ?

R.Mendenhall ?

P.Harvin ?

P.Thomas ?

start talking guys like

J.Finley

D.Dixon

and ect ..
Dixon - only in the deepest of leagues.my :wall:

Johnny Lee Higgins - as DHB gets the hype, JLH gets the yards

LeRon McClain - people should be awake on him, they're not

Brad Cottam - we're awake, most aren't
Cottam- last year I was looking for a TE flyer. I think it was Bloom on the audible that recommended Cottam and I was thinking Gonzo would be gone so I picked him up. Is Cottam a legitimate pass catching TE and will the new KC system use him?

RB Pierre Thomas, Saints

RB Shonn Greene, Jets

WR Devin Hester, Bears

I don't buy this either.

A quality WR in college and in his first year in the NFL (Royal) vs a return guy by trade (Hester) who's trying to develop into a decent WR (on a run-oriented team no less).

IIRC the word was that Miami tried Hester @ WR, but he had trouble grasping the offensive scheme.

So far, I don't see much of any instinctive WR skills in Hester. Doesn't mean he won't (with hard work) turn into a viable WR.

But I'd be surprised if he comes close to equaling Royal's production (WR-wise) in any given year.
:goodposting: Hester is the perfect example of why the learning curve is so steep, even for the premiere college guys that have spent the last 7-8 years of their lives learning how to play wide receiver. It's an extremely difficult position to master beyond just route running and hands. You need to be very adept with reading defenses. Also, the thing that most people don't realize is that it doesn't matter how fast a guy is if he can't set up a defender in and out of his cuts. It seems to me, the Bears saw Hester's KO return skills and thought they could just line him up and he'd Forrest Gump his way into the Pro Bowl.

but " sleeper " ?

R.Mendenhall ?

P.Harvin ?

P.Thomas ?

start talking guys like

J.Finley

D.Dixon

and ect ..
Dixon - only in the deepest of leagues.my :goodposting:

Johnny Lee Higgins - as DHB gets the hype, JLH gets the yards

LeRon McClain - people should be awake on him, they're not

Brad Cottam - we're awake, most aren't
Cottam- last year I was looking for a TE flyer. I think it was Bloom on the audible that recommended Cottam and I was thinking Gonzo would be gone so I picked him up. Is Cottam a legitimate pass catching TE and will the new KC system use him?
Maybe a pass catcher, no more than average use in the new KC system.Cottam's problem was always injuries. I dont see him lighting the world on fire.

Talent-wise, I agree with you, but Eli will rely on Smith more this year as the rookie learns the ropes. I just don't see him coming into the league and having an immediate impact like some rookies do. he could end up with around 60/800, but Smith will be the guy to have this year.
I think Nicks can be a big factor immediately like Dwayne Bowe was in KC. Smith will need a lot of targets to put up big stats because he's not going to break many big plays.

I think Harvin is a special talent, but I feel that he has the most competition for snaps of the first seven WR's drafted (DHB, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, Britt and Robiskie). Berrian is the deep threat, while Rice is the athletic possession receiver. I feel as if Harvin fits too perfectly in the slot...especially with his ability to carry the ball on reverses, etc 2-3 times per game.Granted...dynasty league owners should not be overly concerned with current situations when evaluating talent, but Berrian and Rice will be with the Vikes for a couple more years. I think Harvin will have too much competition for catches to out-duel guys like Crabtree, Nicks and DHB for production.
I think Harvin will be one of the guys in this class who makes FF owners immediately regret passing on him. He's just too explosive and dynamic to keep off the field. Think of him as a better version of DeSean Jackson. Berrian and Rice aren't so good that they'll keep him off the field. The Vikes drafted him to use immediately.

RB Pierre Thomas, Saints

RB Shonn Greene, Jets

WR Devin Hester, Bears

I don't buy this either.

:goodposting: Hester is the perfect example of why the learning curve is so steep, even for the premiere college guys that have spent the last 7-8 years of their lives learning how to play wide receiver. It's an extremely difficult position to master beyond just route running and hands. You need to be very adept with reading defenses. Also, the thing that most people don't realize is that it doesn't matter how fast a guy is if he can't set up a defender in and out of his cuts. It seems to me, the Bears saw Hester's KO return skills and thought they could just line him up and he'd Forrest Gump his way into the Pro Bowl.
Put aside the return man bias and just consider the following factors:Player X was a 2nd round draft pick.

In his first season as a WR, player X had 20 catches for 299 yards in spot duty.

In his second season as a WR, player X had 51 catches for 665 yards as a starter.

Entering his third season as a WR and his second season as a starter, player X now has a Pro Bowl QB throwing him the ball.

Looks like an obvious breakout candidate. I don't know why people are so down on Hester as a WR. I did my homework and came away pretty impressed with his pure WR skills. He runs good routes and is known for making very tough catches in practice (though it hasn't always translated to the field). He's been running with the first team offense this offseason and is (IMO) clearly the most talented WR on the team.

As for Eddie Royal, I think it's apt comparison because Royal was considered a return man with limited WR skills. Hindsight is 20/20, but he never had more than 500 receiving yards in a college season and was third fiddle at Virginia Tech behind Josh Morgan and some other guy. The reason he fell so far in FF drafts last year is because people viewed him strictly as a return man. Sound familiar?

I'm not saying Hester is the next Steve Smith, but he's an obvious breakout candidate this season. He's a dynamic talent who will be the WR1 catching passes from a QB who produced not one, but two top 15 WRs last season. He'll have to suck really bad not to improve on last year's numbers because this is a golden opportunity.

Love the IDEA of this post but " sleeper " ? R.Mendenhall ? P.Harvin ? P.Thomas ? i dont think these would be sleepers not even in the shallowest of leagues
Gotta agree. It's a good read but these players don't qualify as sleepers.

In what year are you seeing him becoming a relevant FF player? Stewart saw significant action as a rookie. I don't see Bennett getting enough targets anytime in the next two years. Unless you have a really deep bench, is it really worth using it on a spot for a TE that may not see enough targets for 3 years?
It depends on the league and the roster size. Some owners aren't patient enough to hold onto a guy like Bennett for 2-3 years. If you don't have the faith or the roster room to stash him for that long with no rewards then he's probably not a good candidate for you. It could be years until he's a significant factor.Then again, it could happen sooner than we expect. Things move quickly in the NFL. The Cowboys could decide to trade Witten or Bennett. Witten could get hurt. Bennett could simply outplay him (unlikely, but possible). The bottom line is that he's potentially an elite player at the position, but he can be had for pennies because his unfavorable situation is keeping his value down.

I compared him to Stewart because both of them are stuck behind elite veterans. I wouldn't undersell Bennett's contributions last season. He had 283 receiving yards, which is pretty respectable for a 21 year old rookie early entry who's considered a raw project. For a TE to come in and do that is roughly as impressive as what Stewart did at RB, IMO.

RB Pierre Thomas, Saints

RB Shonn Greene, Jets

WR Devin Hester, Bears

I don't buy this either.

:bye: Hester is the perfect example of why the learning curve is so steep, even for the premiere college guys that have spent the last 7-8 years of their lives learning how to play wide receiver. It's an extremely difficult position to master beyond just route running and hands. You need to be very adept with reading defenses. Also, the thing that most people don't realize is that it doesn't matter how fast a guy is if he can't set up a defender in and out of his cuts. It seems to me, the Bears saw Hester's KO return skills and thought they could just line him up and he'd Forrest Gump his way into the Pro Bowl.
Put aside the return man bias and just consider the following factors:Player X was a 2nd round draft pick.

In his first season as a WR, player X had 20 catches for 299 yards in spot duty.

In his second season as a WR, player X had 51 catches for 665 yards as a starter.

Entering his third season as a WR and his second season as a starter, player X now has a Pro Bowl QB throwing him the ball.

Looks like an obvious breakout candidate. I don't know why people are so down on Hester as a WR. I did my homework and came away pretty impressed with his pure WR skills. He runs good routes and is known for making very tough catches in practice (though it hasn't always translated to the field). He's been running with the first team offense this offseason and is (IMO) clearly the most talented WR on the team.

As for Eddie Royal, I think it's apt comparison because Royal was considered a return man with limited WR skills. Hindsight is 20/20, but he never had more than 500 receiving yards in a college season and was third fiddle at Virginia Tech behind Josh Morgan and some other guy. The reason he fell so far in FF drafts last year is because people viewed him strictly as a return man. Sound familiar?

I'm not saying Hester is the next Steve Smith, but he's an obvious breakout candidate this season. He's a dynamic talent who will be the WR1 catching passes from a QB who produced not one, but two top 15 WRs last season. He'll have to suck really bad not to improve on last year's numbers because this is a golden opportunity.
For me, it's the fact that he plays in Chicago.That is death for a passing game.

Eleven 1000 yard receivers in their history. None since 2002 when Marty Booker did it in back-to-back seasons. He needed 97 and 100 catches to hit 1000. I think it's safe to say that there is no way that Hester is going to be a 100 catch guy.

I have Jay Cutler on my "do not draft" list for the same reason. Four 3000 yard passers in their history. They have never had a 4000 yard passer. Never.

Chicago is death for passing.

Anybody have any deeeeeep sleeper recommendations?

Guys along the lines of Cottam. (Who is on my roster already BTW). I am in a 12-team, 40-man roster, non-IDP dynasty league (so 480 offensive players / PK / TD rostered), looking to fill out the last spot or two on my roster. The waiver wire looks bare.

Any players most people may not be familiar with that may have some value down the road?

For me, it's the fact that he plays in Chicago.

That is death for a passing game.

Eleven 1000 yard receivers in their history. None since 2002 when Marty Booker did it in back-to-back seasons. He needed 97 and 100 catches to hit 1000. I think it's safe to say that there is no way that Hester is going to be a 100 catch guy.

I have Jay Cutler on my "do not draft" list for the same reason. Four 3000 yard passers in their history. They have never had a 4000 yard passer. Never.

was discussing the same with a friend today... only MOSS and GB seem to work ok in the outdoors have to the think snow and cold are a factor...

I think Favre, and his need to force a play, made GB the exception... the weapons in GB will help Rodgers,,,

Anybody have any deeeeeep sleeper recommendations? Guys along the lines of Cottam. (Who is on my roster already BTW). I am in a 12-team, 40-man roster, non-IDP dynasty league (so 480 offensive players / PK / TD rostered), looking to fill out the last spot or two on my roster. The waiver wire looks bare. Any players most people may not be familiar with that may have some value down the road?
It's been mentioned more than once in the SP, but Danny Ware's a good one.NYG has a great record at identifying solid RB's.With Derrick Ward gone, I think Ware has some value.Even with the drafting Andre Brown, who looks to be more of a backup for Jacobs (to me anyways).I'd say Ware is on a lot of WW.

Many of you know I'm very high on Mike Walker JAC, and I don't see Holt's arrival (or the two added rookies) impeding his future stardom.

Here's a mini camp update on him from jaguars.com Senior Editor Vic Ketchman, dated today, answering a question from a fan. Note the comment regarding the knees (it frustrates me to no end that people on this board won't let go of the fallacy that he still has knee problems).

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=7847

Will from Jacksonville

How is Mike Walker looking? I feel if he takes a big step this year our wide receiving corps will get a huge boost.

Vic: Mike turned in another outstanding series of underwear performances. He was, in my opinion, the most impressive receiver in mini-camp and I saw no wrap of any kind on either knee. This was the best I have seen him run in successive practices.

Many of you know I'm very high on Mike Walker JAC, and I don't see Holt's arrival (or the two added rookies) impeding his future stardom.

Here's a mini camp update on him from jaguars.com Senior Editor Vic Ketchman, dated today, answering a question from a fan. Note the comment regarding the knees (it frustrates me to no end that people on this board won't let go of the fallacy that he still has knee problems).

Will from Jacksonville

How is Mike Walker looking? I feel if he takes a big step this year our wide receiving corps will get a huge boost.

Vic: Mike turned in another outstanding series of underwear performances. He was, in my opinion, the most impressive receiver in mini-camp and I saw no wrap of any kind on either knee. This was the best I have seen him run in successive practices.
If Thomas and Dillard develop as well as I think they will and Walker's knee issues truly are a fallacy this could be a lethal trio for years to come. Holt's probably going to limit either Walker or Dillard in the short term (one year? two years? half season? I don't know) but I don't see Northcutt holding Thomas off for long.

Dope said:
For me, it's the fact that he plays in Chicago.That is death for a passing game. Eleven 1000 yard receivers in their history. None since 2002 when Marty Booker did it in back-to-back seasons. He needed 97 and 100 catches to hit 1000. I think it's safe to say that there is no way that Hester is going to be a 100 catch guy.I have Jay Cutler on my "do not draft" list for the same reason. Four 3000 yard passers in their history. They have never had a 4000 yard passer. Never.Chicago is death for passing.
You do realize that different players in past years have zero correlation to this year's performance? Who have been the franchise QB's that the Bears franchise have had over the years? Who are the players that have had so much more success away from Chicago than they did while they were there? Has it really been the system depressing Bear's player stats or have they just not had much talent in the passing game? I'd say the latter after looking at the list of leading passers and receivers in Chicago over the last 20 years or more. QB's Orton, Griese, Grossman, Hutchinson, Stewart, Miller, McNown, Matthews, Kramer, Kreig, Walsh, Harbaugh, Tomczak, McMahon don't have a stellar signal caller among them and the list of WR's isn't much better although there have been a few guys like Berrian, Marcus Robinson, Curtis Conway (couldn't stay healthy) that were decent enough and a few solid possession guys like Booker, Engram, Proehl.

Dope said:
For me, it's the fact that he plays in Chicago.

That is death for a passing game.

I think this is the classic chicken-egg argument. Did the QBs in Chicago not produce because they were in Chicago or was the lack of production of the Chicago QBs so because they had terrible QBs.Looking over the list of Chicago QBs, I go with the later. I don't see why Cutler would all of a sudden be bad. I don't remember any good QBs going to Chicago and becoming bad.

Will from Jacksonville

If Thomas and Dillard develop as well as I think they will and Walker's knee issues truly are a fallacy this could be a lethal trio for years to come. Holt's probably going to limit either Walker or Dillard in the short term (one year? two years? half season? I don't know) but I don't see Northcutt holding Thomas off for long.
I think Thomas is going to be a terrific career slot receiver and will supplant Northcutt before the end of 2009.I see Holt as co-#1 in 2009 to start out, but it will become evident Walker should be the go to guy at this stage of their respective careers. There are lots of cases where fans think 32-33 year old guys changing teams will return to stats of their glory years when they were 27-30, but find they are capable of being no more than complementary players. Holt admits himself he's lost a lot of his speed, and I didn't see the ability to separate last year that he used to have. I see him starting in 2009 and probably 2010, but that's about it. Who replaces Holt after that? I don't know.

This board is bonkers over Dillard, and I think that has much to do with Bloom's love of Dillard and the great respect we all have for Bloom. He hit big time on 4th rounder Brandon Marshall, and we all remember that. Bloom has Dillard as his #7 rookie WR. But I'm just not so sure Dillard will be a starter in this league. He was passed on by 32 teams for 143 picks in 5 rounds, and 21 WRs were taken ahead of him. He was rated the consensus 18th WR on Bob Sorter's aggregation of 11 draft services, and the 18th WR went in the late 4th round. John Hansen of FantasyGuru.com doesn't rank Dillard among the top 20 post-draft keeper rookie prospects. Googling around the 'net suggest his upside is as a career #3 receiver. God bless Bloom if he's right about Dillard and I'm going to be open minded about him. However, the FBG board love for him may be a case of Bloom-led group think going on, and my expectations aren't nearly as high as others here.

Users who are viewing this thread