What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty WR Rankings - WR#15 (1 Viewer)

Who would you rank as the #15 dynasty WR?

• Dwayne Bowe - 9/21/84

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plaxico Burress - 8/12/77

• Lee Evans - 3/11/81

• Torry Holt - 6/5/76

• Greg Jennings - 9/21/83

• Terrell Owens - 12/7/73

• Roddy White - 11/2/81

• Other

• Total voters

Duckboy

IBL Representative
1. Larry Fitzgerald 8/31/83 33% [Wayne 28%]

2. Reggie Wayne 11/17/78 28% [Moss 15%] (WR1 and 2 used same poll)

3. Andre Johnson 7/11/81 41% [Moss 29%]

4. Braylon Edwards 2/21/83 46% [Moss 29%]

5. Randy Moss 2/13/77 44% [Colston 23%]

6. Marques Colston 6/5/83 39% [sSmith 29%]

7. Steve Smith 5/12/79 46% [Chad Johnson 23%]

8. Chad Johnson 1/9/78 46% [Marshall 28%]

9. Brandon Marshall 3/23/84 51% [boldin 18%]

10. Anquan Boldin 10/3/80 31% [Calvin Johnson 17%]

11. Calvin Johnson 9/25/85 23% [Roy Williams 21%]

12. Roy Williams 12/20/81 28% [TJ Houshmandzadeh 23%]

13. Santonio Holmes 3/3/84 27% [TJ Houshmandzadeh 22%]

14. TJ Houshmandzadeh 9/26/77 32% [Greg Jennings 16%]

If you vote other, or are planning to vote for someone not on the list next time, or want to discuss the next adds, please include a comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
How Holt ended up below Housh is beyond me. With only a year difference in age, I can't fathom why Housh would be preferred aside from "short memory syndrome".

Housh is coming off his best year of his career and his yardage doesn't beat Holt since 1999 when Holt was a rookie. Sure, Housh had 12 TDs this year, but considering that's his 1st time ever cracking double digits and TDs are a lot more variable, I'll take Holt's 6 straight 90+ and 1300 yd/season average (including his rookie year) over Housh's career year. On top of that, Holt's situation was downright awful this past year and can really only get better. Housh will likely lose CJ and no one knows what kind of effect that could have on his #'s.

I really don't understand that at all.

ETA--Housh has only one top 10 finish in his career (6 years). Holt has 6 out of his 9 years played. If for nothing else, which of these 2 would you think would have the best chance to finish top 5 or higher? Holt or Houshmandzadeh? When you get to this point in the rankings, that reason alone should help you rank 2 similar guys in terms of recent #'s and age.

How are Owens and Holt getting any votes here? Bizarre.

I think it's gotta be Jennings or Bowe here, if it's anyone else i've lost all faith in the shark pool.

I think of Holt the same as TO, 3 years ago.

And TO has only been 2. 2. and 4th overall in WR points in my league over that time and still can provide 1 or 2 more effective years.

Could use Harrison as another comparison of a future HOFer WR that posted good numbers from 32 on. This year finally sucked for him but the past 4 before that was 1, 5, 2 and 5 going back.

Amazed you think HOlt should not be getting votes but Randy was #5 at only 8 months younger.

Great value on HOlt right now for anyone who wants to be a championship contender out of the gate for a few years.

How Holt ended up below Housh is beyond me. With only a year difference in age, I can't fathom why Housh would be preferred aside from "short memory syndrome". Housh is coming off his best year of his career and his yardage doesn't beat Holt since 1999 when Holt was a rookie. Sure, Housh had 12 TDs this year, but considering that's his 1st time ever cracking double digits and TDs are a lot more variable, I'll take Holt's 6 straight 90+ and 1300 yd/season average (including his rookie year) over Housh's career year. On top of that, Holt's situation was downright awful this past year and can really only get better. Housh will likely lose CJ and no one knows what kind of effect that could have on his #'s. I really don't understand that at all.ETA--Housh has only one top 10 finish in his career (6 years). Holt has 6 out of his 9 years played. If for nothing else, which of these 2 would you think would have the best chance to finish top 5 or higher? Holt or Houshmandzadeh? When you get to this point in the rankings, that reason alone should help you rank 2 similar guys in terms of recent #'s and age.
Its not the age that separates the two for me. Its the wear and tear on Torry Holt, and his highly suspect knees. He played on them this year, and I give him credit for that. But it does seem questionable if he's going to last much longer IMO. So for the upside that Holt may offer in the short term over Housh, the difference isn't worth it for the chance of Holts' health collapsing. Holt has 805 receptions in his career. He's now passed James Lofton, Micheal Irvin and is now rapidly approaching Jimmy Smith and Steve Largent. Those guys all had long and productive careers. As for your Housh has only one top 10 finish comment, that's kind of misleading as he's finished 15th, 11th, and 7th the last 3 years. Add in the fact that his 11th place finish in 2006 included two missed games. Housh finished 5th that year in ppg. Ahead of Torry Holt. I honestly think Housh doesn't get the credit around here that he deserves. Since week three of 2006 (Housh missed weeks 1 and 2) he is right in the middle of the top 10 WRs. A rock solid #1 WR for two years running. I am acutally having a hard time with Holt going before Jennings. Jennings showed this year that he can perform like a #1 fantasy WR. Would you really trade a 24 year old WR like that for a 32 year old with gimpy knees? Or a 35 year old WR? Owens and Holt may have some years left, but either one could be done, abruptly. See Shaun Alexander, Marvin Harrison etc.

How Holt ended up below Housh is beyond me. With only a year difference in age, I can't fathom why Housh would be preferred aside from "short memory syndrome".

Housh is coming off his best year of his career and his yardage doesn't beat Holt since 1999 when Holt was a rookie. Sure, Housh had 12 TDs this year, but considering that's his 1st time ever cracking double digits and TDs are a lot more variable, I'll take Holt's 6 straight 90+ and 1300 yd/season average (including his rookie year) over Housh's career year. On top of that, Holt's situation was downright awful this past year and can really only get better. Housh will likely lose CJ and no one knows what kind of effect that could have on his #'s.

ETA--Housh has only one top 10 finish in his career (6 years). Holt has 6 out of his 9 years played. If for nothing else, which of these 2 would you think would have the best chance to finish top 5 or higher? Holt or Houshmandzadeh? When you get to this point in the rankings, that reason alone should help you rank 2 similar guys in terms of recent #'s and age.
Its not the age that separates the two for me. Its the wear and tear on Torry Holt, and his highly suspect knees. He played on them this year, and I give him credit for that. But it does seem questionable if he's going to last much longer IMO. So for the upside that Holt may offer in the short term over Housh, the difference isn't worth it for the chance of Holts' health collapsing. Holt has 805 receptions in his career. He's now passed James Lofton, Micheal Irvin and is now rapidly approaching Jimmy Smith and Steve Largent. Those guys all had long and productive careers.

As for your Housh has only one top 10 finish comment, that's kind of misleading as he's finished 15th, 11th, and 7th the last 3 years. Add in the fact that his 11th place finish in 2006 included two missed games. Housh finished 5th that year in ppg. Ahead of Torry Holt.

I honestly think Housh doesn't get the credit around here that he deserves. Since week three of 2006 (Housh missed weeks 1 and 2) he is right in the middle of the top 10 WRs. A rock solid #1 WR for two years running.

I am acutally having a hard time with Holt going before Jennings. Jennings showed this year that he can perform like a #1 fantasy WR. Would you really trade a 24 year old WR like that for a 32 year old with gimpy knees? Or a 35 year old WR? Owens and Holt may have some years left, but either one could be done, abruptly. See Shaun Alexander, Marvin Harrison etc.
Are you talking about those highly suspect knees that caused him to miss all of zero games this past year? There was lots of media talk about it and how he was going to have lots of problems with it and in the end it turned out to be nothing. If anything, Housh has shown himself to be quite injury prone and to never really complete a full season. That's fine if you want to worry about Holt's knees, but considering the only info on that you can base it on is what is reported to you and those reports seemed to essentially make a lot more of it than it turned out to be, I'll choose to just let Holt go out and continue to produce. Add in the fact that his game isn't predicated on speed and he's the type of WR that should still have 2-3 yrs at the ELITE level. As someone pointed out, think TO 3 yrs ago.Now, you also want to worry about being "misleading" with Housh's rankings, but we often talk about top 10 and those #'s were simply out of the top 10. Close, yes, but out of the top 10. Holt's were IN the top 10. Not trying to be misleading at all. Holt's finishes are simply better overall with a much longer history. Add in the consistency he brings to the table and him being out of the top 15 at the age of 32 is awesome for those who still believe in him.

Finally, that's nice how well Housh has done since week 3 of 2006. At the same time, since 2003, Holt has finished 2nd, 7th, 6th, 6th, and then 13th last year on a horrid Rams team. And that's without PPR. Factor in Holt catching 90+ balls for the last 6 years, and he has even more value. He's a WR that's valuable no matter what the format is. Overall, that's just simply better and more consistent over a longer period of time.

I can understand someone wanting a younger WR because of Holt's age and potential for injury, but you can't use that reasoning to take Housh instead.

Its not the age that separates the two for me. Its the wear and tear on Torry Holt, and his highly suspect knees. He played on them this year, and I give him credit for that. But it does seem questionable if he's going to last much longer IMO. So for the upside that Holt may offer in the short term over Housh, the difference isn't worth it for the chance of Holts' health collapsing. Holt has 805 receptions in his career. He's now passed James Lofton, Micheal Irvin and is now rapidly approaching Jimmy Smith and Steve Largent. Those guys all had long and productive careers.

As for your Housh has only one top 10 finish comment, that's kind of misleading as he's finished 15th, 11th, and 7th the last 3 years. Add in the fact that his 11th place finish in 2006 included two missed games. Housh finished 5th that year in ppg. Ahead of Torry Holt.

I honestly think Housh doesn't get the credit around here that he deserves. Since week three of 2006 (Housh missed weeks 1 and 2) he is right in the middle of the top 10 WRs. A rock solid #1 WR for two years running.

I am acutally having a hard time with Holt going before Jennings. Jennings showed this year that he can perform like a #1 fantasy WR. Would you really trade a 24 year old WR like that for a 32 year old with gimpy knees? Or a 35 year old WR? Owens and Holt may have some years left, but either one could be done, abruptly. See Shaun Alexander, Marvin Harrison etc.
Are you talking about those highly suspect knees that caused him to miss all of zero games this past year? There was lots of media talk about it and how he was going to have lots of problems with it and in the end it turned out to be nothing. If anything, Housh has shown himself to be quite injury prone and to never really complete a full season. That's fine if you want to worry about Holt's knees, but considering the only info on that you can base it on is what is reported to you and those reports seemed to essentially make a lot more of it than it turned out to be, I'll choose to just let Holt go out and continue to produce. Add in the fact that his game isn't predicated on speed and he's the type of WR that should still have 2-3 yrs at the ELITE level. As someone pointed out, think TO 3 yrs ago.Now, you also want to worry about being "misleading" with Housh's rankings, but we often talk about top 10 and those #'s were simply out of the top 10. Close, yes, but out of the top 10. Holt's were IN the top 10. Not trying to be misleading at all. Holt's finishes are simply better overall with a much longer history. Add in the consistency he brings to the table and him being out of the top 15 at the age of 32 is awesome for those who still believe in him.

Finally, that's nice how well Housh has done since week 3 of 2006. At the same time, since 2003, Holt has finished 2nd, 7th, 6th, 6th, and then 13th last year on a horrid Rams team. And that's without PPR. Factor in Holt catching 90+ balls for the last 6 years, and he has even more value. He's a WR that's valuable no matter what the format is. Overall, that's just simply better and more consistent over a longer period of time.

I can understand someone wanting a younger WR because of Holt's age and potential for injury, but you can't use that reasoning to take Housh instead.
I am not saying that at any point prior to this that TJ should have been more valuable than Holt. Holt has been one of the best WRs in the game for a long time. The fact that he went out and performed as well as he did on that knee this past season is also very impressive.However, heres the reason I, and other voters have passed on Holt up until this point: (August 28th 2007)

Torry Holt admits his rehab from knee surgery is well behind schedule.

Holt estimates he's only 70-80 percent healthy. "I don't know if it'll ever heal all the way," Holt said. "But I think it will heal enough where it will allow me to go out and play." This is now a major concern. Holt struggled to separate last season with loose cartilage in his knee and is likely to do the same this year at substantially less than full health.

The numbers between Housh and Holt have been so close the last couple of years, it doesn't make sense to vote the guy with the questionable knee ahead of the guy without it.

Last two years:

Housh: 202 catches 2224 yards, 21 TDs

Holt: 186 catches, 2377 yards, 17 TDs.

Its my opinion that I wouldn't take the risk on Holts' health. I'd agree that Houshmandzadeh doesn't have the talent that Holt does, but Housh has a much better QB, and that QB has complete faith in Housh. That is a situation that is very unlikely to change in the next few years. This isn't to say that Bulger isn't decent, or he doesn't trust Holt. Rather, I am saying Houshs' situation is even more solid.

Holt and Owens are the obvious choices, it is a lot easier to develop WR talent on a roster and I rather have 2 elite years, than drafting a guy that did medicore.

One guy I think should be added is Welker. He is a strong option for Brady, and with stallworth apparent exit, and seeing Moss was limited in double and triple teams in post season Welker is a valuable option.

Also the wear and tear on Holt is a freaking joke. Anyone who watches Holt knows that 60% of his catches he get as much positive yards as possible and heads to the sidelines, he doesn't get hit much. His knees are a concern, but lets face it the whole StL team was playing its 2nd string much of last year.

As for the comment about Jennings. I don't mind that pick if your strictly trying to inject youth and big play potential. But Jennings and for a matter of speaking Ryan Grant are as 'relatively speaking' old as Favre. These guys will take a step backwards when Favre hangs it up with at max is 2 more years. Favre has over his career MADE everyone appear better than they were. Take a look at history, and although there are a couple exceptions of truely gifted talent, most players failed miserable when they left the Packers to try and become something better than they were.

Holt and Owens are the obvious choices, it is a lot easier to develop WR talent on a roster and I rather have 2 elite years, than drafting a guy that did medicore.

One guy I think should be added is Welker. He is a strong option for Brady, and with stallworth apparent exit, and seeing Moss was limited in double and triple teams in post season Welker is a valuable option.

Also the wear and tear on Holt is a freaking joke. Anyone who watches Holt knows that 60% of his catches he get as much positive yards as possible and heads to the sidelines, he doesn't get hit much. His knees are a concern, but lets face it the whole StL team was playing its 2nd string much of last year.

As for the comment about Jennings. I don't mind that pick if your strictly trying to inject youth and big play potential. But Jennings and for a matter of speaking Ryan Grant are as old as Favre. These guys will take a step backwards when Favre hangs it up with at max is 2 more years. Favre has over his career MADE everyone appear better than they were. Take a look at history, and although there are a couple exceptions of truely gifted talent, most players failed miserable when they left the Packers to try and become something better than they were.
I would say developing WR talent is a very difficult thing to do. Unless you are the guy that knew not to draft:Charles Rogers, Reggie Williams, Micheal Clayton, Bryant Johnson, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie etc, all guys drafted in the top 20.

Ask the Marvin Harrison owner in your league if he saw that coming. Betting on WRs as old as TO is a very dangerous gamble. And for what 2ppg?

I would say developing WR talent is a very difficult thing to do. Unless you are the guy that knew not to draft:

Charles Rogers, Reggie Williams, Micheal Clayton, Bryant Johnson, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie etc, all guys drafted in the top 20.

Ask the Marvin Harrison owner in your league if he saw that coming. Betting on WRs as old as TO is a very dangerous gamble. And for what 2ppg?
Okay, but you took something I said, and than are applying it to top rated WR talent coming out. My point to develop talent is the fact that top WR aren't always the ones who step up, trading for a developing WR is far easier than other positions, and you can field far more chances with younger guys drafted in later rounds to develop, more so than at other positions.As far as a 2PPG advantage, I'd call that huge, but it also depends on your own league style. Where as in my leage an average score is typically 65, but in my HP its more like 140ish.

As far as Harrison, you are talking about an injury that occurred, not age or ability. You also are looking on one side of the coin, where you really expecting the season Galloway put together, or Owens after week 5?

You aren't betting on 'old' WR you are betting on truly gifted ones. Harrison falter, but so did Evans who was suppose ot breakout, so did Mark Clayton who was suppose to breakout, and so did Hackett who was suppose to breakout, and so on. So there is a lot of young talent that busted.

I agree with a few of the others. This should be a two horse race between Owens and Holt. A Dwayne Bowe or Greg Jennings talend comes along in nearly every draft while a Owens or Holt can help you win now while you build for the future later on.

I think of Holt the same as TO, 3 years ago.

And TO has only been 2. 2. and 4th overall in WR points in my league over that time and still can provide 1 or 2 more effective years.

Could use Harrison as another comparison of a future HOFer WR that posted good numbers from 32 on. This year finally sucked for him but the past 4 before that was 1, 5, 2 and 5 going back.

Amazed you think HOlt should not be getting votes but Randy was #5 at only 8 months younger.

Great value on HOlt right now for anyone who wants to be a championship contender out of the gate for a few years.
I agree. The Rams were an absolute train wreck last year. I'm looking to buy Bulger and Holt because their value has dropped to ridiculous levels.

3 guys within 3% and all about as high as the next 2 combined. Will start a "tiebreaker" for these and call them 15/16/17, and add Welker and Cotchery to the next poll for 18.

Users who are viewing this thread