What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early/Late game TV split. Explain it to me. (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
Today, Week 9, 6th of November, 2022:

The NFL played eight games in the early time slot and only two in the late slot.

I understand this is probably a relic of a time when there were oy three letter networks and, maybe the upstart ESPN.

But NFL Sunday Ticket started in 1994, that's 28 years ago (28!!!). It became available for streaming only in 2009! That's a Bar/Bat Mitzvah ago. It's an adult!

Can someone please explain to me, like I'm a genius (according to multiple [free] online tests) why, in the age of streaming everything, we can't get three or four games in the late Sunday window?

I mean...gah?

Last edited:
Broncos, 49ers, and Cowboys all on a bye
LAC and LVR both traveled East so those fell into the 1PM time slot.
Cards and Hawks playing against each other.

Just the way it falls sometimes.

Broncos, 49ers, and Cowboys all on a bye
LAC and LVR both traveled East so those fell into the 1PM time slot.
Cards and Hawks playing against each other.

Just the way it falls sometimes.
I understand that logic but this is common. Even with a full slate of games you get 13 non exclusive (Thu, SNF & MNF) games and yet; you maybe, possibly, get four late games.

And we have a global viewing audience, a billion(s) $$$ magic football following and now straight up legal gambling, the local broadcast can cater to the local fans. The people have rooting interest all over the place.and want to be entertained all day on, what is likely in America, their only day with free time.

Am I wrong?

It wouldn't hurt to bump an east coast game to 4:00 pm.

They did...Tampa. Fans prefer 1pm games. There's no reason to move games that will only be shown locally. Also we are in the time of the year where 4pm is daylight and then the 2nd half is in the dark. 6 teams were off and 6 are in primetime slots. That's close to 40% of the teams.
Completely disagree. NFL fans don't exclusively live on the east coast. Besides; gambling and magic football have flipped that dynamic on its ear.

Do we think people wouldn't be tuning into Chicago v Miami right now?

Last edited:
Time zones are a thing?
As Earth rotates on its axis, it moves about 15 degrees every 60 minutes. After 24 hours, it has completed a full rotation of 360 degrees. The scientists used this information to divide the planet into 24 sections or time zones. Each time zone is 15 degrees of longitude wide.

so...ummm...yeppers.

West Coast teams traveling to the East Coast should slide into the 4:00 window so their fans do not have to be forced at 10am to watch
When I lived in SoCal I loved having breakfast burritos watching the game.
I live in Whale's Vagina and I love that aspect, but I still want more options when I get home and start doing my weekend projects.

West Coast teams traveling to the East Coast should slide into the 4:00 window so their fans do not have to be forced at 10am to watch
LA/SoCAL/Santa Monica '00-'07
10th and 11th near Montana and Father's Office, Blind Duck, loved the morning bars being open at 7am, games clearly labeled on the TVs in all the corners, don't think Red ZOne was quite in motion when I was first out there.

Time zones are a thing?
As Earth rotates on its axis, it moves about 15 degrees every 60 minutes. After 24 hours, it has completed a full rotation of 360 degrees. The scientists used this information to divide the planet into 24 sections or time zones. Each time zone is 15 degrees of longitude wide.

so...ummm...yeppers.
You're just making stuff up now.

10th and 11th near Montana and Father's Office, Blind Duck, loved the morning bars being open at 7am, games clearly labeled on the TVs in all the corners, don't think Red ZOne was quite in motion when I was first out there.
Very much my old stomping grounds. Father's Office had amazing burgers... making me nostalgic.

Tonight might have been game seven of the world series, maybe that had something to do with it?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm just wondering why we didn't have, maybe four games in the late window instead of two.

It hits RedZone viewers, which is not me btw, especially hard.

Very much my old stomping grounds. Father's Office had amazing burgers... making me nostalgic.
I raise you Tacos El Gordo....

Tonight might have been game seven of the world series, maybe that had something to do with it?

I'm just wondering why we didn't have, maybe four games in the late window instead of two.

There's this game where people throw a ball and hit it with a piece of wood. It used to be really big, but then everyone realized watching guys stand around for five hours was boring as hell if you weren't drinking and eating junk food. Some people are still into the championship game though.

Never been, do they make a tasty burger?

City Taco is my favorite local spot. I'm in Cardiff but they have several locations.

There's this game where people throw a ball and hit it with a piece of wood. It used to be really big, but then everyone realized watching guys stand around for five hours was boring as hell if you weren't drinking and eating junk food. Some people are still into the championship game though.
I love drinking and eating junk food but that still sounds boring as heck.

I was back on the east coast in 01. agreed that Redzone wasn’t a thing yet.

Cricket?

I live right outside of Philly. Eeeeeeeveryone here suddenly cared about baseball for two months.

Cricket?
Cricket can last days

Cricket?
Cricket is guys standing around for five days

I understand that this probably is a relic of a past age when New York, therefore the Eastern Seaboard, drove the television market. But that age is long dead.

We have been living in the streaming world for well over a decade, it's time to shift the paradigm.

Cricket?
Cricket is guys standing around for five days
Exactly. Against all odds….Some ppl still regard it as relevant tho.

So obvious yet they refuse to do it. I'm hoping they eventually figure it out but who knows when.
This is the last year of Daylight Savings Time, anything is possible
As a person who lives in So. Cal, I love the concept of full time daylight savings, but as a realistic human being I think it is a terrible idea.

Have fun in the dark at 10am Buffalo.

So obvious yet they refuse to do it. I'm hoping they eventually figure it out but who knows when.
As a person who lives in So. Cal, I love the concept of full time daylight savings, but as a realistic human being I think it is a terrible idea.

If you’re near Long Beach have a chicken pot pie at jongewaard's bake n broil on Atlantic. Or at least a piece of pie.

I live right outside of Philly. Eeeeeeeveryone here suddenly cared about baseball for two months.

Dayman!
Whoa-oh-ohhh!
Fighter of the Nightman!
Whoa-oh-ohhh...

If you’re near Long Beach have a chicken pot pie at jongewaard's bake n broil on Atlantic. Or at least a piece of pie.
100% IN!!!

Gonna meet my pops there next Saturday for lunch! Fact!!!

City Taco is my favorite local spot. I'm in Cardiff but they have several locations.
Love city taco but no ...no burger. just great tacos. lines all day. kind of a hassle but worth it imo.

Love city taco but no ...no burger. just great tacos. lines all day. kind of a hassle but worth it imo.
Absolutely going to check it out.

What's their signature taco? Or, what's your favorite?

100% IN!!!

Gonna meet my pops there next Saturday for lunch! Fact!!!
I’m 10000% jealous

Dayman!
Whoa-oh-ohhh!
Fighter of the Nightman!
Whoa-oh-ohhh...
We really need some rain. It's been sunny for too long.

Carne Asada followed closely by Adobaba. No need to add any thing but extra salsa on the side.

Carne Asada followed closely by Adobaba. No need to add any thing but extra salsa on the side.
:homer:

Users who are viewing this thread