What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early years in a dynasty league (1 Viewer)

jswalker1981

Footballguy
I've got friends wanting me to startup a dynasty league. We've been tossing it around for a couple of years now. We plan on having an initial auction draft for the first year. As of now, the rules would be you can sign a player to a contract of no more than five years with a 10% increase each year. If you want to resign the player after his contract ends, it is a 25% increase.

My question is, how do you account for the increase of salary for the first year or so? Do you set a hard cap at the beginning and just have the owners budget the growth themselves, or have a cap that will increase the first couple years till it reaches the hard cap limit?

I've got friends wanting me to startup a dynasty league. We've been tossing it around for a couple of years now. We plan on having an initial auction draft for the first year. As of now, the rules would be you can sign a player to a contract of no more than five years with a 10% increase each year. If you want to resign the player after his contract ends, it is a 25% increase. My question is, how do you account for the increase of salary for the first year or so? Do you set a hard cap at the beginning and just have the owners budget the growth themselves, or have a cap that will increase the first couple years till it reaches the hard cap limit?
bump. Inquiring minds want to know...

I've got friends wanting me to startup a dynasty league. We've been tossing it around for a couple of years now. We plan on having an initial auction draft for the first year. As of now, the rules would be you can sign a player to a contract of no more than five years with a 10% increase each year. If you want to resign the player after his contract ends, it is a 25% increase. My question is, how do you account for the increase of salary for the first year or so? Do you set a hard cap at the beginning and just have the owners budget the growth themselves, or have a cap that will increase the first couple years till it reaches the hard cap limit?
I would say set a hard cap rather than increase the overall spend. If you wanted to hold onto players indefinitely, why have a salary increase in the first place? So the salary increases are intended to increase player movement back into the annual auction and the hard cap also facilitates that goal.

The best league I have ever been involved in that uses this format was also a very realistic league. They based their salary cap each year on the NFL's actual salary cap and went up and down as it did. The growth (or lack thereof in regressive cap years as the NFL is experiencing now) reflected moves in the league that were similar to moves made in the real NFL. It seemed very fair. A bit of work by the league but fair.

'Shutout said:
The best league I have ever been involved in that uses this format was also a very realistic league. They based their salary cap each year on the NFL's actual salary cap and went up and down as it did. The growth (or lack thereof in regressive cap years as the NFL is experiencing now) reflected moves in the league that were similar to moves made in the real NFL. It seemed very fair. A bit of work by the league but fair.
My league is a salary cap, contract league and we use the actual contracts/salaries of the players. Info is available on spotrac.com for free. We set a cap of 100M for 12 teams with an annual increase of 5% and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread