What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (1 Viewer)

is that bad
Meh.

They gotta sort out the Don't Take Your Cybertruck to a Carwash thing anyhoo, so two birds, one stone and all that. (y)
Hmm, don't understand this part:

"The Cybertruck’s owners manual does caution against ever washing the truck in direct sunlight"

Wtf?!? Why??
It'll turn into a Gremlin.
No that's if you feed it after dark.
Yes, but it wouldn't make sense for a car to multiply if you get it wet.

is that bad
Meh.

They gotta sort out the Don't Take Your Cybertruck to a Carwash thing anyhoo, so two birds, one stone and all that. (y)

"The Cybertruck’s owners manual does caution against ever washing the truck in direct sunlight"

Wtf?!? Why??
That's actually a good idea for all cars.
I had not heard this before, what's the idea behind it?

is that bad
Meh.

Wtf?!? Why??
The main reason is that the sun dries chemicals in the soap faster than you can rinse it off. Those chemicals stick to the car once dried and can act on the paint. Alot of soaps once dried on a surface don't necessarily dissolve easily even when re wetted. The warning to not wash in the sun is on a lot of soaps.

There is a miniscule risk where the temp is above 90 you can sun spot the paint but that is really unlikely. If you ceramic coat your car sun spotting can happen easier. Still a tiny risk.

is that bad
Meh.

Wtf?!? Why??
The main reason is that the sun dries chemicals in the soap faster than you can rinse it off. Those chemicals stick to the car once dried and can act on the paint. Alot of soaps once dried on a surface don't necessarily dissolve easily even when re wetted. The warning to not wash in the sun is on a lot of soaps.

There is a miniscule risk where the temp is above 90 you can sun spot the paint but that is really unlikely. If you ceramic coat your car sun spotting can happen easier. Still a tiny risk.
This is a fantastic excuse for when my wife asks me why I never wash my car.

is that bad
Meh.

Wtf?!? Why??

This is a fantastic excuse for when my wife asks me why I never wash my car.
I bought a subscription to a car wash, so I just get it washed whenever I drive past one of the places and am not in a hurry. I'm sure this is not the best thing for the environment, but Michigan puts salt on the roads, so I'm going through the car wash.

When I picked the EV6 it was in part due to liking the drive better than the Model 3's I tried. Sounds like they have made some real upgrades which are getting me excited about the options that will be there for me when my lease runs out in 2026.

Planning my first "road trip" with my EV6, down to visit my son in Corpus Christi (I live in DFW). There's a couple Electrify America charging stations along the way so I'm planning to stop at one of those because my lease deal includes free charging at EA stations. I'll aim for the closer one so I will have options in case it's filled up when I get there, and I'm staying at a hotel that has complimentary EV charging. A little nervous since this is the first time I'm leaving the area, but leaving some extra time to make sure I don't run into any problems.

I'm thinking of getting a Tesla to J1772 adapter before I go, just to be on the safe side. There's tons of charging stations en route and in Corpus, but I am thinking better safe than sorry. Thoughts? Thoprawishes?

eta: I realized that I can't get a Supercharger to CCS1 so the adapter would be Level 2 speeds at best. I'd be better off just finding another network that can get me fast charging DC speeds, so the adapter is out... :(

Are you sure about this? ABRP sets you to stop at the Austin Capital SC. I don't think it's completely operational yet but there's a V4 nearly done in Houston. When those V4s come online in some number it will be pretty epic.

Be 100% sure the hotel charger is working.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of ABRP :) It has me stop 3 times if I limit to Level 3 EA stations, but obviously if those aren't available, I can go to others in the area. None of them are particularly remote.

The hotel charger looks pretty shabby - I think it might even be just an L1. But there are 5 different locations with CCS chargers within a mile of the hotel.
Update/story time: the trip was planned for last weekend. I took off Friday and Monday and wasn't too worried about extra time getting tacked on.

I did receive the EV6 recall letter in the mail, saying that if I received an electrical system warning I should immediately pull over and call Kia roadside assistance for a tow "to the nearest Kia dealership". It stated that, should the warning come on and I choose to keep driving, the car could lose power. But they had a similar recall last year and my controller unit was good. I've never had this warning light they talk about in the recall. But I figured I should bring the letter to have the roadside assistance number handy just in case.

I also decided, using ABRP, that I should charge my car up to 100% to give me the least concern about range anxiety on the trip. Normally I only charge to 80%.

So...Friday morning rolls around. Car is charged to 100% as planned. Unplugged, car loaded, I go to pull out of the garage and hear a loud "POP!" when I press the "ignition". Then, of course, the warning light comes on in all its big, bold, illuminated glory. Of course.

I called roadside assistance to have the car towed to the dealer I purchased it from, and they are very friendly. They even called the service center to see what I could expect. Bad news, they wouldn't be able to look at the car until Saturday or maybe even Monday. So I order the tow and wait. About 10 minutes later, I get a text saying the truck would be at the house in 60-90 minutes. I decide not to wait around that long, and in stead have my wife follow me in the family truckster and hope my car doesn't die on the road to the dealership (about 15 minutes away). Luckily, it doesn't.

I leave the car there, get a loaner for my wife, and take the family truckster with me to Corpus to visit the boy. All in all, I lost about an hour and 20 minutes, which ironically gets me in to Corpus at about the same time I would have gotten in with time added for charging stops. The car was ready to go by 4:45 that same day, too. Guess they were just being conservative in the time it would take them to fix. ymmv

Oh well, better to get a new controller unit this way than dying on the road in the middle of the Texas wilderness. The car, that is. Or who knows, maybe both the car AND me. You're just as likely to run into Leatherface as to break down near a Kia dealer here in Texas, after all. Maybe even more likely. Guess my first EV road trip adventure will have to wait.

Planning my first "road trip" with my EV6, down to visit my son in Corpus Christi (I live in DFW). There's a couple Electrify America charging stations along the way so I'm planning to stop at one of those because my lease deal includes free charging at EA stations. I'll aim for the closer one so I will have options in case it's filled up when I get there, and I'm staying at a hotel that has complimentary EV charging. A little nervous since this is the first time I'm leaving the area, but leaving some extra time to make sure I don't run into any problems.

I'm thinking of getting a Tesla to J1772 adapter before I go, just to be on the safe side. There's tons of charging stations en route and in Corpus, but I am thinking better safe than sorry. Thoughts? Thoprawishes?

eta: I realized that I can't get a Supercharger to CCS1 so the adapter would be Level 2 speeds at best. I'd be better off just finding another network that can get me fast charging DC speeds, so the adapter is out... :(

Are you sure about this? ABRP sets you to stop at the Austin Capital SC. I don't think it's completely operational yet but there's a V4 nearly done in Houston. When those V4s come online in some number it will be pretty epic.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of ABRP :) It has me stop 3 times if I limit to Level 3 EA stations, but obviously if those aren't available, I can go to others in the area. None of them are particularly remote.

The hotel charger looks pretty shabby - I think it might even be just an L1. But there are 5 different locations with CCS chargers within a mile of the hotel.
Update/story time: the trip was planned for last weekend. I took off Friday and Monday and wasn't too worried about extra time getting tacked on.

I did receive the EV6 recall letter in the mail, saying that if I received an electrical system warning I should immediately pull over and call Kia roadside assistance for a tow "to the nearest Kia dealership". It stated that, should the warning come on and I choose to keep driving, the car could lose power. But they had a similar recall last year and my controller unit was good. I've never had this warning light they talk about in the recall. But I figured I should bring the letter to have the roadside assistance number handy just in case.

I also decided, using ABRP, that I should charge my car up to 100% to give me the least concern about range anxiety on the trip. Normally I only charge to 80%.

So...Friday morning rolls around. Car is charged to 100% as planned. Unplugged, car loaded, I go to pull out of the garage and hear a loud "POP!" when I press the "ignition". Then, of course, the warning light comes on in all its big, bold, illuminated glory. Of course.

I called roadside assistance to have the car towed to the dealer I purchased it from, and they are very friendly. They even called the service center to see what I could expect. Bad news, they wouldn't be able to look at the car until Saturday or maybe even Monday. So I order the tow and wait. About 10 minutes later, I get a text saying the truck would be at the house in 60-90 minutes. I decide not to wait around that long, and in stead have my wife follow me in the family truckster and hope my car doesn't die on the road to the dealership (about 15 minutes away). Luckily, it doesn't.

I leave the car there, get a loaner for my wife, and take the family truckster with me to Corpus to visit the boy. All in all, I lost about an hour and 20 minutes, which ironically gets me in to Corpus at about the same time I would have gotten in with time added for charging stops. The car was ready to go by 4:45 that same day, too. Guess they were just being conservative in the time it would take them to fix. ymmv

Oh well, better to get a new controller unit this way than dying on the road in the middle of the Texas wilderness. The car, that is. Or who knows, maybe both the car AND me. You're just as likely to run into Leatherface as to break down near a Kia dealer here in Texas, after all. Maybe even more likely. Guess my first EV road trip adventure will have to wait.
Never understood why so many (Tesla included) went with 12v ecall monitors. CT is first 48 system I'm aware of.

Never understood why so many (Tesla included) went with 12v ecall monitors. CT is first 48 system I'm aware of.
It's one of the many very cool innovations that POS has in it.

Users who are viewing this thread