What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Manning to suck in the NFL (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pickles

Footballguy
I know I don't usually post here, and no.. this isn't a fishing trip, but I think Eli Manning folds like a cheap suit in the NFL. Just doesn't seem to be the Peyton Jr. clone that everyone seems to make him out to be. Am I alone in this thinking?Will answer yours.

I know I don't usually post here, and no.. this isn't a fishing trip, but I think Eli Manning folds like a cheap suit in the NFL. Just doesn't seem to be the Peyton Jr. clone that everyone seems to make him out to be. Am I alone in this thinking?Will answer yours.
No. I'm with you. On top of being a #####, he'll suck balls.....maybe not Ryan Leaf balls, but balls nonetheless.

I'd buy that for a buck eighty-five.

I know I don't usually post here, and no.. this isn't a fishing trip, but I think Eli Manning folds like a cheap suit in the NFL.  Just doesn't seem to be the Peyton Jr. clone that everyone seems to make him out to be.  Am I alone in this thinking?Will answer yours.
Why are you guys always coming up with new ####? I'm trying to keep up. With ST dying, I can't follow along very well.Edit: On-topic, see my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he will succeed and I hope he does.
I agree....this anti-Eli thing is getting old.
Anti-Eli? How about this thread being a response to everyone being all over his jock just because he is Peyton's brother?Seriously.. was his career at Ole Miss THAT great?

I hope that every time Drool Boy throws an incomplete pass, FOX replays it with the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song playing in the background.

Seriously.. was his career at Ole Miss THAT great?
I may agree with you, but we need to find a better argument than his college career being not THAT great.
How the hell can you base this argument on anything else??? We will never know until he plays.

Seriously.. was his career at Ole Miss THAT great?
I may agree with you, but we need to find a better argument than his college career being not THAT great.
That's true. I do think his arm is NFL material, but it's what's going on (or not going on) upstairs that I'm questioning. Doesn't look nearly as poised as Peyton is. I think people are way too quick in sports to assume family perform similarly. What did Ozzie Canseco get for his AL title ring on eBay?

A year ago, he wasn't considered anything like the prospect that his brother was. He was thought to be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

A year ago, he wasn't considered anything like the prospect that his brother was. He was thought to be a 2nd-3rd round pick.
Yes he was, He was considered top QB overall and top 5...

I don't believe that he would have been selected before Palmer or Leftwich.
I would have taken him over Palmer or Leftwich. I'm no Eli fan (live in SD), but there's a reason he was the consensus #1 this year. Pro Bowl in three years, IMO.

Eli = overratedI was unimpressed with him up through his junior season. he had a very good senior season, and he'll probably be fine but I don't think he's going to be as great as most people think.and having Kevin Gilbride as his QB coach should set back his development by at least 2 or 3 years.he's going to melt under the pressure of playing in the Big Apple.

I think he's gonna be great. Stop the hating. The lieflong pedigree does matter when he's been able to absorb and learn, but apart from all that, the NFL scouts have ben raving about him. Somehow I think that holds a little more weight. Accuracy is the biggest problem for some of these 'strong armed' guys and his is really good. Probably won't thow as many dumb picks as that idiot leaf. But then again, I thought he would be much better than peyton. Maybe this is learning my lesson...

I think he's gonna be great. Stop the hating. The lieflong pedigree does matter when he's been able to absorb and learn, but apart from all that, the NFL scouts have ben raving about him. Somehow I think that holds a little more weight. Accuracy is the biggest problem for some of these 'strong armed' guys and his is really good. Probably won't thow as many dumb picks as that idiot leaf. But then again, I thought he would be much better than peyton. Maybe this is learning my lesson...
many scouts had Roethlisberger or Rivers rated ahead of Manning.Terry Bradshaw was quoted as saying he liked Losman and Rivers more than Manning.Eli is not the LOCK that many people think he is. Peyton was much better coming out of college, IMO.I do expect him to have a successful career, but it wouldn't shock me if he flopped early on.

The lieflong pedigree does matter when he's been able to absorb and learn, but apart from all that, the NFL scouts have ben raving about him. Somehow I think that holds a little more weight. Accuracy is the biggest problem for some of these 'strong armed' guys and his is really good. Probably won't thow as many dumb picks as that idiot leaf.
The last guy that got this much hype was a guy named Jeff George. He had the strong arm and the accuracy too.I think it would be a good idea if we projected how we think Eli will perform this season rather than just say he'll be great or he's over-rated. These terms mean so many things to different people. My guess would be something close to 3500+ yards / 28 TDs / 30 INTs / 5-7 winsConsidering what they gave up to get him I think that's underperforming but still would be a solid performence. People tend to hammer home the fact the NYG's OL is pretty bad(including myself) but he has much better skill position players to work with than Peyton, Akili, Couch, Dilfer, Shuler, etc had coming into the league. The real possiblity of a complete flame out comes from the NY media/fans. If Archie jumps to the defense of his son that will just be more gasoline on the fire and bulid on the perception that he's been hiding behind his father. I have a feeling the golden boy and his meddling father routine isn't going to go over well in the big apple. It would be best for Eli if he just played the games, took his lumps, and Archie/Peyton butted out. Even in this worst case scenario I really think Eli will be no worse than a solid QB in the NFL, even if he has to leave NY for that to happen. Nobody can be sure which QB in this class will ultimately live up to their draft position but you'd have to think Eli is starting the furthest in the hole because of all the draft picks the NYG gave up to get him. The NY media/fans certainly aren't going to forget them and will expect some unreal stats to make Eli woth the price paid to get him. How do the rest of you project Eli will perform this season stat wise?

My guess would be something close to 3500+ yards / 28 TDs / 30 INTs / 5-7 wins
:eek: has a rookie QB ever thrown 28 TDs before?
Yeah, it does sound high but there haven't been all that many QB's that were given week #1 starting jobs. Of that small group I would guess few if any had receivers as good as Shockey/Toomer/Hilliard/Barber.

Pro Bowl in three years, IMO.
not unless he is traded---which we know can't happenthese New York football Giants are a bunch of misfits and malcontents, as constructed...they lacked the disipline to finish off division rivals DAL and PHILLY early last year, then went on the finish the 2nd half of the season a stellar 0-8 which, of course, got the coach tossedwhen faced with a tougher coach this offseason, thay've filed a grievance w/the players association, complaining practice is too hard...give me a fu@k*n' breakEli will have a long road to hoe...as a fan of big Blue---I wish him luck

Im not sure how many of you saw Eli play in college but i did a lot and here is my take: The scouts all remark about how he is Peytons brother and they will have a similar career, and i dont agree with that logic, its lazy. Eli isnt at all like Peyton. He is very laid back and not as focused as Peyton(who is?). His natural QB skills are superior to Peyton, but thats not a big deal. Peyton Manning, who i feel is overrated anyway, has succeeded not because of his Michael Vick natural skills but sitting in the film room for 24 hrs a day and knowing EVERYTHING. through the years opposing teams are intimidated by that and Peyton's notorious film study makes a lot of DC's overthink what they are doing. I think what you will see in Eli is a more traditional QB. I know its ironic, but Kerry Collins comes to mind, and thats ok. The unfortunate part is Eli is NOT a savior type of player. He is counted to be and thats not happening. Id welcome posts familiar with Eli in colllege to confirm or deny my post.

I'm not an Eli fan, but if he falls to me in my dynasty rookie draft and there is nothing else good available I may take a chance on him :shock:

Eli is not the LOCK that many people think he is.
??????It's pretty apparent from these boards that most people feel that Eli is going to be a complete bust...

Since the week before the draft I've only seen about 2 or 3 Eli supporters and a large majority of Eli bashers.

IMO, in time Eli is going to be a very good QB in the NFL.

I don't believe that he would have been selected before Palmer or Leftwich.
mannings draft grades were significantly higher than palmer or laftwich. palmer would have been the third rated qb this year behind manning and roth's

My guess would be something close to 3500+ yards / 28 TDs / 30 INTs / 5-7 winsConsidering what they gave up to get him I think that's underperforming but still would be a solid performence.
You think that's underperforming? :shock: That would be the best rookie QB season ever.

I heard reports before the draft that scouts were amazed Eli had as good of stats as he did in college because his WR's were terrible. He didn't have those Tennessee WR's that Peyton had. I think Eli will be a very good QB, in 2-3 years.04: 3000 yds/ 18TD/ 23INT05: 3600 yds/ 23TD/ 20INT06: 3900 yds/ 28TD/ 16INT

Has anyone thought about him doing a Testeverde? Sucking from day one on a bad team. Then after years of abuse by opposing D's and the media moves on to find success with another team? I think the only way the guy fails is if it's mental, and the incessant glare of the NY media could cause that kind of collapse. Then after being looked at through the lens of a microscope for a few years and never making it to that elite level, he goes to a new team, makes a fresh start both geographically and mentally and goes on to have a few pro-bowl seasons. This is just a though. I actually think he will do pretty well after some awful growing pains....

No one knows.There was a Pro Footballl Weekly fan poll on who would be better, Leaf or Manning, before their rookie seasons started. Leaf won about 2/3s of the vote.No one knows...

Personally, I didn't think he was THAT great even in college. Sure, he was about the only bright spot on a sad Ole Miss team, but come on. I think a lot of the hype is because of his bloodline. He is NOT Archie. He is NOT Peyton.I definitely think he'll struggle in the NFL, and the location he's in isn't very forgiving. More than a year of sucking, and they'll be calling for his head.He has a LOT of people to prove wrong. He may have more pressure on him than any other player drafted I can remember...

My guess would be something close to 3500+ yards / 28 TDs / 30 INTs / 5-7 winsConsidering what they gave up to get him I think that's underperforming but still would be a solid performence.
You think that's underperforming? :shock: That would be the best rookie QB season ever.
Would it? I know Peyton had some pretty good stats his rookie season 3700+/26/28 and only had a passer rating of 71. Let me make it clear I expect Eli's qb rating to be below 70, which in my opinion isn't a very good performence for someone you just gave up possibly two top 5 picks in the first, a high third, and a high fifith. I don't think people realize just how many INT's 30 is. I think there's a real solid chance Eli approaches that # this season. Dan Marino had a QB rating of 96 his rookie season(2,200+/20/6) in only 9 starts. Just for the sake of displaying how good those stats are for 9 starts if you project those over 16 starts you are looking at 3900+/35/11. I'm just using that to show how amazing those stats are over 9 games, not to insinuate Marino would have gotten those stats had he started all 16 games. But this is what I mean, to me that is underperforming considering what it cost to get him. So NOBODY ELSE is willing to give a stab at what #'s he'll get next season?

I am a bit shocked to see all the Eli bashing here. Is it because of the San Diego mess or what? He played college ball on a undersized, slow, bad college team in one of the best conferences in the nation (even though i hate almost every single team in the SEC and partially loathe the rest barring LSU). He has superior physical skill than his brother. Locals here were saying that before Peyton was out of high school. I would give the mental edge to Peyton at this point, but I think Eli is a touch smarter than his brother. Eli is stepping into a nightmare of a team, but they do have really good talent. I think the Giants will be around the .500 mark at the end of the season. The giants have a good organization, and will surround Eli with the tools necessary to succede, eventually.IMO, Eli will be a very good QB for years to come. Will he be a hall of famer? I think he stands a good chance, but only time will tell of course. If I could pick him up in a keeper league, I think I would do everything in my power to do just that. (IE selling the farm).

Eli will have a long road to hoe...as a fan of big Blue---I wish him luck
It's row to hoe! Man, even Theisman gets his platitudes straight! Anyway, I think Eli is set up for failure in New York.

1. He has a terrible OL.

2. The players will revolt against the coach.

3. His receivers are pretty mediocre.

4. He plays in a division loaded with great defenses. (I believe the 30 ins, but maybe half that many tds!)

5. The coach actually thinks he can have a running game with Dayne.

6. The team mortgaged the future just to get him.

I think the Giants are in for a run of very bad luck (my platitude). Eli won't be Peyton. He'll have a hard time being Archie. Only a few Qbs can carrty a team in spite of luckluster players around them (Favre, Elway come to mind.) I don't think Peyton has the personality to be in that class. If

Anyway, I think Eli is set up for failure in New York. 1. He has a terrible OL.2. The players will revolt against the coach.3. His receivers are pretty mediocre.4. He plays in a division loaded with great defenses. (I believe the 30 ins, but maybe half that many tds!)5. The coach actually thinks he can have a running game with Dayne.6. The team mortgaged the future just to get him.
I agree with all your points except #3. Do you honestly think you can name 15 teams that have receivers as good or better than Shockey/Toomer/Hilliard/Barber? I can't.

I know I don't usually post here, and no.. this isn't a fishing trip, but I think Eli Manning folds like a cheap suit in the NFL.  Just doesn't seem to be the Peyton Jr. clone that everyone seems to make him out to be.  Am I alone in this thinking?Will answer yours.
Why are you guys always coming up with new ####? I'm trying to keep up. With ST dying, I can't follow along very well.Edit: On-topic, see my previous post.
dead? :confused:

I was speaking specifically of the wide receivers. I think I can name 15 teams at least that have a better WR#1, and a better WR#2. I don't have my projections at work, so I looked on the FBG board for theirs.They have Toomer ranked 18th (only Seattle has 2 WRs in the top 17).They have Hilliard ranked 59th.That's a pretty mediocre pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread