What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elie Wiesel, RIP (1 Viewer)

Sand

Footballguy
Sad day.  Wrote many books, but one in particular that I read back in my HS days that was easily the most memorable, powerful piece of literature I've ever picked up.

Holocaust Survivor, Nobel winner, author many times over, charitable Foundation founder, (even a Madoff victim).  What an incredible life.

RIP - the world will miss you.

Just came in to post this.  An incredible mind, spirit, and life.

No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them.
We could use more human beings like him.

:(  Very sad. An amazing human being. Saw him speak at our local college back in the 90's. A very powerful and moving talk

RIP

RIP

Night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_(book)

"It has been categorized as a novel, autobiography, autobiographical novel, non-fictional novel, semi-fictional memoir, fictional-autobiographical novel, fictionalized autobiographical memoir and memoir-novel.[56] Ellen Fine described it as témoignage (testimony).[57] Wiesel called it his deposition.[58]

Literary critic Ruth Franklin writes that Night's impact stems from its minimalist construction. The 1956 Yiddish version, at 865 pages, was a long and angry historical work. In preparation for the French edition, Wiesel's editors pruned without mercy.[59] Franklin argues that the power of the narrative was achieved at the cost of literal truth, and that to insist that the work is purely factual is to ignore its literary sophistication.[60] Holocaust scholar Lawrence Langer argues similarly that Wiesel evokes, rather than describes:

Weisel's account is ballasted with the freight of fiction: scenic organization, characterization through dialogue, periodic climaxes, elimination of superfluous or repetitive episodes, and especially an ability to arouse the empathy of his readers, which is an elusive ideal of the writer bound by fidelity to fact.[61]
Franklin writes that Night is the account of the 15-year-old Eliezer, a "semi-fictional construct," told by the 25-year-old Elie Wiesel. This allows the 15-year-old to tell his story from "the post-Holocaust vantage point" of Night's readers."

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of this person, but now I am intrigued. Will look in to his life and his writing.
Night is a very short and easy read in the sense of it's length and the simplicity of the language. However it is extremely devastating and for me as a teenager, I felt it was the rare book that did change my life. 

Emeritus at BU, and taught when I went there.  Always regretted that I didn't take his class (though I'm sure it wasn't easy to get in).

Users who are viewing this thread