What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elio Motors - The Elio - Car that gets 84 MPG with a $6800 price (1 Viewer)

Finless

Footballguy
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ge1ZGi1bTQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/link]

Not sure if my manually typed link worked but this is for real. When I had posted about "The Mystery at my House" I had just returned from treatment in Phoenix. The day I got out I stayed at Paul Elio's house for a couple days. We have a lot of mutual friends...real good guy. While I was there I noticed these little car prototypes. He explained it all to me. Exactly what he was doing. I was a bit blown away buy I remembered thiking he could do it.

He's been all over the news, had a gigantic plant in Alabama and its going down. A man living his dream and likely becoming ridiculously wealthy in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
watch the video or give a reason for the negativity. 700 miles on a tank. Sure it may not be a fit for everyone but it is an absolute fit for a lot of folks. Communters, city folks, those who are environmentally concerned, those who are frugal.

watch the video or give a reason for the negativity. 700 miles on a tank. Sure it may not be a fit for everyone but it is an absolute fit for a lot of folks. Communters, city folks, those who are environmentally concerned, those who are frugal.
The guy has a prototype and a story, and not much else.

I haven't done any research other than your link, so going by solely off that video I'd say it definitely peaks my interest. For someone who commutes 50+ each way for work, that thing could literally pay for itself in 12-18 months with gas savings alone. It may not be practical for a lot of reasons, but the price makes it possible to buy it as a car you only drive to work in.

That's a pretty poorly written article that comes off as a opinion piece by someone who's clearly never owned a motorcycle. He makes some good points about the added hurdles people might face to buy one of these...particularly that people might have to have at least a motorcycle permit to test drive one...but the costs of obtaining a license and insuring/licensing a motorcycle are minimal compared to a standard automobile. With a roll cage and a cost of $6,800, it's probably only going to be like $200/year to insure and in MN, only like $20/year for registration. That roll cage also means some (maybe even most) of the few states that require helmets will exempt this from their helmet law.

Don't have time to watch the whole video right now, but some of the claims are :lmao:

I bet you think the panels are made of some cheap material like plastic... Wrong, they are made from a composite material. That doesn't actually tell us what the material is. Steel is a composite. Decking lumber is a composite

And 50% larger crush zones... Is that a good thing? 50% larger than what?

I wonder how it does in the snow. I wouldn't buy a car unless I could drive it all year around. I wish it had a hatch back. Seems like a pita trying to put stuff into that back seat. You're still only talking about a target subset of the population. Any family with 2 kids makes that impractical. It would require way too much planning so that just your other household car was used for the kids. That being said, looks like a nice alternative for those that fit their needs.

It is a motorcycle by law. You want to wear a helmet inside this thing?

I wish you would, because you would look super cool. :thumbup:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2jnwM0UtQvo/S7AsVn13ktI/AAAAAAAAAJk/xprpVpB4JPw/s1600/fighter-pilot.jpg :thumbup:

I like it. Would make a great commuter vehicle for me. For 8 months of the year anyway. I doubt it does well in snow.

I agree that it is a motorcycle, which isn't a negative to me. I have commuted on my bike many times, but it always sucked leaving it home when the forecast called for rain. (I have ridden home in downpours and it is not a lot of fun.) I wouldn't even have a problem if I had to wear a helmet.

So in doing further research it will be 95% American made. Parts are off the shelf sourced and available at any NAPA or whatever auto parts store. They say they can get a 5 star crash rating. Given all that and the relatively low entry price I can see it being a good choice for a commuter car.

So in doing further research it will be 95% American made. Parts are off the shelf sourced and available at any NAPA or whatever auto parts store. They say they can get a 5 star crash rating. Given all that and the relatively low entry price I can see it being a good choice for a commuter car.
If I don't have to wear a helmet, and I am relatively confident I won't die in a fender bender... I would consider this.

If I don't have to wear a helmet, and I am relatively confident I won't die in a fender bender... I would consider this.
The rollbar and the safety rating are almost guaranteed to get it exemption from helmet laws.

I would've considered it back when I lived in the DC area since I could take it on the HOV lanes. But here in Ohio, don't really see the purpose.

And Lord know this is what it's all about.

Yes.

I know its hard for some of the resident rednecks to believe that something like this could actually be a good thing. Also you'll see some negative "postings" from the like. I won't call them blogs or articles because we know most hick when it comes to complete thoughts don't get much further than "Honey, anything left in that 30 rack of Bud lights? Dang I think I done drank'em all" or "seems like a good day to go muddin".

There will not be any helmet wearing, its American made, huge plant already set manufacturing, lots of jobs being created. Little more than a prototype? He is already funded, money has been sunk in out of Motor City, I have friends invested - This is something he has been working on for years. it is going down. They've already done the morning talk show circuit and are currently traveling the country throwing marketing events. Deposits are coming in. My buddy Branden is heavily involved.

I'm not saying I'll buy one but it is exactly what many people have been waiting for. It's all standard well known technology. No electric car plugging in. It's just streamlined and light.

The resistance cracks me up. Instead of being positive and seeing a man who is living his dream, creating a vehicle that will do something no other vehicle can do at a price under $7000 be resistant and negative. Honestly I'd expect nothing else. Bringing up points is one thing if you've actually done some legitimate research but running to the first negative remark you can find on line to play devil's advocate makes you look like an idiot.

I would consider one as a practical alternative for commuting. i would really consider one as a convertible.

Major downfall is no side/by/side seating... if two people ride together you can't really carry on a good conversation like you can if you're both in the front seat.

That said at the price point, for a single commuter car it's a great idea.

IMO that thing looks a lot less goofy than those lame smart cars and similar micro-compacts (mazda 2, etc) that dip####s are driving around town these days.

For the size/weight, the 9.6 second 0-60 is disappointing. Yes, I understand there are sacrifices to get the 84 mph.

If they can get the 5 Star crash rating you'll be as safe as you are in any subcompact.

My buddy involved is actually named Brendan. Used to be the "Pizza king of Arizona". Anyhow, Paul should come out of this a very wealthy man. And although I don't know him well-well, he definitely seems deserving. Good guy with a dream who had the nuts and drive to make it happen. Keep talking about helmets, people like you probably wear one full time.

Yes.
Okay, so being practical and saving a boatload of cash isn't for you, then. That's okay.

My buddy involved is actually named Brendan. Used to be the "Pizza king of Arizona". Anyhow, Paul should come out of this a very wealthy man. And although I don't know him well-well, he definitely seems deserving. Good guy with a dream who had the nuts and drive to make it happen. Keep talking about helmets, people like you probably wear one full time.
Burn.

I know its hard for some of the resident rednecks to believe that something like this could actually be a good thing. Also you'll see some negative "postings" from the like. I won't call them blogs or articles because we know most hick when it comes to complete thoughts don't get much further than "Honey, anything left in that 30 rack of Bud lights? Dang I think I done drank'em all" or "seems like a good day to go muddin".

There will not be any helmet wearing, its American made, huge plant already set manufacturing, lots of jobs being created. Little more than a prototype? He is already funded, money has been sunk in out of Motor City, I have friends invested - This is something he has been working on for years. it is going down. They've already done the morning talk show circuit and are currently traveling the country throwing marketing events. Deposits are coming in. My buddy Branden is heavily involved.

I'm not saying I'll buy one but it is exactly what many people have been waiting for. It's all standard well known technology. No electric car plugging in. It's just streamlined and light.

The resistance cracks me up. Instead of being positive and seeing a man who is living his dream, creating a vehicle that will do something no other vehicle can do at a price under $7000 be resistant and negative. Honestly I'd expect nothing else. Bringing up points is one thing if you've actually done some legitimate research but running to the first negative remark you can find on line to play devil's advocate makes you look like an idiot.
For the record, I'm not a hater... it's an interesting enough idea. I just think the claims in the video are a bit shallow and if you're going to pitch me with smoke and mirrors, then how much confidence should I have in the actual product? Again, not saying this won't be awesome and it's not cool to see someone take an idea from paper to manufacturing, just that the video would have hooked me better if he hadn't glossed over details.

For the size/weight, the 9.6 second 0-60 is disappointing. Yes, I understand there are sacrifices to get the 84 mph.
It's only 70 HP though.
Right. It's not that I don't understand it. It's just disappointing. If I'm getting into a sleek little three-wheeled two-seater, some more oomph would be nice.
One of the other sites I researched this at said this was just a base model and they expect there to be more options down the line. My guess is one of those will be a bigger motor. I agree this thing should be fun to drive and a bit more HP would be a helpful in that regard.

Yes.
Okay, so being practical and saving a boatload of cash isn't for you, then. That's okay.
Wearing a helmet inside a car is practical?

Have you read the positive comments in this thread?

BTW, I drink Bud Light, would love to go mudding, and would still drive one of these to work.

Yes.
Wearing a helmet inside a car is practical?
There isn't going to be any helmet wearing. They are going for it being a car not a motorcycle. The roll cage and the enclosed cabin make helmet wearing silly.

I said I'd be interested sans helmets, but as is I don't see how this passes as anything but a motorcycle.

You are doing a bang up job representing your friend though... I bet he approves of your insults on his behalf. :thumbup:

Makes the thread more entertaining though, which is always my top priority here... keep it coming. I was pretty sure you had overdosed awhile back though, didn't we have a memorial thread for you?

This is a great "3rd car" option for a family like mine. I need a minimum 4-seater to drive clients around in. My wife needs a minivan/SUV to haul all 4 kids around in. But there are a TON of 1-2 person trips that we take where the savings would be great, whether it's my wife doing some shopping, me taking trips to see some buddies a couple hours away, trips to/from the office on days where I don't have meetings, etc. The price is low enough that it would be feasible to have something like this to run around in.

Good idea. I'm rooting for this guy to succeed, but this article seems to indicate that his he might have some serious problems with his financials.
That guy doesn't seem very unbiased. I think it was his constant reference to the car as a virginity shield that tipped me off. As if electric cars are causing panties to drop.

Users who are viewing this thread