What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Email from my sister in law (1 Viewer)

Rayderr

Footballguy
First off, no, not that type of email. Sorry to disappoint. Anywho....

My sister in law (wife's youngest sister) and her husband are expecting their first child right around Xmas (due 20th I believe). All the relatives will be in town (tradition as it's the most central location) but will be staying elsewhere.

Sister in law sends out an email saying that as her child is going to be born around that time, that we all MUST get the flu shot, DTAP, Measles, Polio, you name it, even if we've already gotten them because they "wear off" (also that this be done several weeks ahead of time so the vaccines are at full strength by the time the baby is born) so that we don't infect the precious newborn. She also says that everyone who comes over to see the baby will be given explicit instructions on how to wash their hands, face, mouth, etc. and make sure that they are germ free. All in the name of creating a "cocoon of protection" around the baby.

I read the email, my reaction is "Eh. I don't need to see the baby." and tell my wife this expecting it to result in a fight. Surprisingly my wife agrees and doesn't want to go through all the trouble. Apparently another sister also feels the same way.

I get asking people not to come over if they have a cold or something, but this seems over the top. So, how does one break it to a pregnant woman "sorry, we don't want to see your kid because you're ####ing insane."

Your SIL is a new age hippie moron.

My wife slathers herself in the hand sanitizer stuff. Gets yearly flu shots. Gets sick all the time.

I wash my hands regularly, don't use any hand sanitizer, and routinely eat good ol' American soil. No flu shots for me ever. I get sick maybe once very 5-7 years.

Point is...bacteria builds a strong immune system. Your SIL is setting her kid up to be a breeding ground for sickness.

My son will be born in April (our 1st). No way I'm allowing this type of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go over there, let them know that you are in compliance on all your shots.

Then, right before she hands you the baby for the first time, sneeze or wipe your nose in your hand and then wipe your hand on your pants. Reach for baby. Film and post here for the hilarity that will ensue.

Yeah, both my wife and I would have the same reaction - "Thanks for your email. You can send us a picture. Thanks."

"Sorry but I don't think _____ and I will come to see your baby. And not because of your rather silly 'raccoon of protection' requirements but because you're kid is probably going to be really ugly."

I would respect her opinions, and make up some excuse why you can't go. She likely won't understand it if you try to tell her she's crazy. She'll figure it out on her own after the 2nd or 3rd kid.

we all MUST get the flu shot, DTAP, Measles, Polio, you name it, even if we've already gotten them because they "wear off" (also that this be done several weeks ahead of time so the vaccines are at full strength by the time the baby is born)
:lmao:
That's actually true. You are supposed to get boosters for some vaccines every 10 years or so.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/rec-vac/

:shrug:

I probably would typically be siding with the scoffers, except that there was just a funeral for a guy I know's 4 month old baby boy that died from flu complications very suddenly. They didn't even know he was sick. Put him down for a nap and the kid never woke up. Infants haven't developed their immune system yet and don't have vaccines to prevent them from getting really nasty stuff. For older kids and adults, that stuff wouldn't be fatal, but for an infant it often is.

I would respect her opinions, and make up some excuse why you can't go. She likely won't understand it if you try to tell her she's crazy. She'll figure it out on her own after the 2nd or 3rd kid.
Gotta be honest, the husband needs to just jump out of the plane now. If this is what she is like before the baby is born this guy has literally no chance at all. Just file for divorce and use that email as the main exhibit.

we all MUST get the flu shot, DTAP, Measles, Polio, you name it, even if we've already gotten them because they "wear off" (also that this be done several weeks ahead of time so the vaccines are at full strength by the time the baby is born)
That's actually true. You are supposed to get boosters for some vaccines every 10 years or so.

I probably would typically be siding with the scoffers, except that there was just a funeral for a guy I know's 4 month old baby boy that died from flu complications very suddenly. They didn't even know he was sick. Put him down for a nap and the kid never woke up. Infants haven't developed their immune system yet and don't have vaccines to prevent them from getting really nasty stuff. For older kids and adults, that stuff wouldn't be fatal, but for an infant it often is.
And yet somehow our species has managed to survive for thousands of years without doing these things.....

Shots? Crazy.

Wash hands or use hand sanitizer? For a days-old baby, not a bad idea. But anything beyond (face, mouth) is over the top.

Unless the kid is a preemie, there's no reason to burden family and friends like this.

My wife slathers herself in the hand sanitizer stuff. Gets yearly flu shots. Gets sick all the time.

I wash my hands regularly, don't use any hand sanitizer, and routinely eat good ol' American soil. No flu shots for me ever. I get sick maybe once very 5-7 years.

Point is...bacteria builds a strong immune system. Your SIL is setting her kid up to be a breeding ground for sickness.

same reason I never stopped eating my boogs, i don't want that immune system building crap filtered out

That's actually true. You are supposed to get boosters for some vaccines every 10 years or so.http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/rec-vac/ :shrug:

And yet somehow our species has managed to survive for thousands of years without doing these things.....
Sure, but the infant mortality rate is a fraction of what it was up until about 90 years ago. The human race marched on, but a whole lot of babies did, in fact, die.

Regardless of being around a kid, getting a flu and Tdap vaccine as an adult isn't a bad a idea.

Their first kid huh?
That was my first thought, too. By the time the third one comes along she'll be letting them play around in the litter box.
My wife and I had our first kid about 2 years ago, and we never did anything like this. we trusted people to stay away if they were sick. All we did was schedule when people could come to visit, and that was because we're 400+ miles away from everyone and didn't want to swamped with guests as we adjusted to life with a child.

The wife and I went to Target on the way home from the hospital after our first kid. Three kids and fourteen years later, all is well. :shrug:

I would respect her opinions, and show up saying that I've got all my shots.

washing hands before touching a newborn is a given, but yeah... show her that idiotic commercial for something or other that's about 1st kid vs rest of kids that seems too obvious to be an actual commercial..

Did you really want to see the baby? It sounds like it worked out for you.

Plus, Now your whole family will get to make fun of her around the holidays. Win-win

Maybe the sister-in-law just really doesn't want to see you.

I might try that with my mother-in-law when my kid is born. "We'd love to see you Midge, but you'll need to pass through this CDC quarantine first."

doowain said:

Actually aren't the new age hippie morons the ones that are overly scared of vaccinations and believe the mercury in them will cause autism?

ok- tell them you got the flu shots and then show up with a different strain of flu than the vaccination. that'll learn her.

when I was a baby, parents would just throw their newborns out in the backyard and we would all crawl around eating dirt. and we were thankful to have it.

doowain said:

Then why no flu shot?

Sounds like she's overwhelmed and wants to cancel Xmas. Can't blame a first time parent with a new born.

Just an interesting way to do it.

Send her a copy of "The boy in the plastic bubble" one of Travolta's finest.

Users who are viewing this thread