What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Entrepreneur Guys (1 Viewer)

KGB

Footballguy
I currently own a small pool cleaning biz. about 190 customers.

I would say about 50% could use some sort of landscaping/weed control.

I have 1 customer who reached out. about 3 foot tall grass/weeds. in dirt. Lets say I was to start the landscaping on the fly business up with this job. what tool or lawnmower do you think I should use for these 3 foot bastards?

I'm not really worrying about the business growing or failing at this point. Just thinking of this job paying for some equipment, and go from there. Like I said I have a customer base, so not really worried about sales, getting the job done and right is my concern. PS, I have a buddy with a pest and weed license and can legally put down post and pre emergent.

Anyone do landscaping that can chime in?

Scythe. How big is the yard? You want to one cut the "lawn" and not shred it.
Cleanup will be easier if you do. Rake the cuttings onto a tarp.

The customer might be reaching out to you because they think you will be cheap.

Know everything is being pushed to go electric. EGO makes all the batteries for most of not all the other brands too.

Check your local laws- here in MoCo, MD they are outlawing gas powered blowers starting in 2025 ($500 fine which doubles each related violation)

Don’t buy anything Honda has made in the past few years.

Toro is the big dog on the block. Try to stay away from the Briggs and Stratton and get the models with Kholer engines on brands which use both.

I am in the market for 10 year old Honda gas engines/mowers/power equipment.

I currently own a small pool cleaning biz. about 190 customers.

I would say about 50% could use some sort of landscaping/weed control.

I have 1 customer who reached out. about 3 foot tall grass/weeds. in dirt. Lets say I was to start the landscaping on the fly business up with this job. what tool or lawnmower do you think I should use for these 3 foot bastards?

I'm not really worrying about the business growing or failing at this point. Just thinking of this job paying for some equipment, and go from there. Like I said I have a customer base, so not really worried about sales, getting the job done and right is my concern. PS, I have a buddy with a pest and weed license and can legally put down post and pre emergent.

Anyone do landscaping that can chime in?
Find out how much public works/dump is going to charge you for the waste/clippings.
They charge by the cubic yard. How are you getting it there?

Weed wacker is not a good option here as you end up recutting your clippings and a lot of
time messing with the string.

Reactions: KGB
I quoted the job. wish I could post pics. maybe ill get an account.

but basically like a house worth of weeds. since im just getting going and they are a current pool customer, I quoted $900 to clear the land, and $250 to kill weeds, not grass. Then take it from there./ I have a weed guy who has the licensing for all the kill stuff including pre emergent for weeds which is huge here in AZ.

if they accept im buying this

Let's start a landscaping business... im in AZ

Lets light up a cigar and grab a beer and figure this out...:banned:

So, maybe to make this fun....

Lets start a business for under $1000 and make $50,000 within 12 months. Lets start 5/1/24 as im just pulling this **** out of my ***, but I need goals...

So, lets see what we need. Bare basics here.

• shirts. nah
  • website. yep
  • biz cards, sure
  • truck already being used, but have a 2 door jeep and a trailer.(y)
  • lawnmower - got one
  • weed whacker - I have very low powered. not good enough. like it can cut paper, but only if wet.
  • Buddy with weed pre emergent license. sure. but most jobs are like, getting rid of weeds. he can just prevent. (ahhh recurring income, and someone else does the work. i like that)
  • Tree cutter thingies, loppers. I thinnk. maybe later.
  • leaf blower! I have one of those. 40 volt, kicks ***
  • Grass seed putter downer thing. got one
  • I assume ill need other tools. well figure that out later. we have like a grand!

So, step one on how to start a small business.
1. get a website name you like...

step 1.
buy a name you like. doesnt ****ing matter as long as you are awesome

Essentials Domain Bundle​

azweedguys.com
Pay monthly
$9.50$24.65
61% off
12-month agreement. Renews May. 2024 for $9.50
Disclaimer
*Early cancellation fee of $10 applies to accounts terminated prior to the end of 180 days.

Total (USD)$35.81

CHOOSE A PACKAGE WITH OFFICE 365 EMAIL

Again, doesnt ****ing matter. just buy a name. get off your *** and move forward.; think yahoo.com or google had any idea their name would be ok??? yahoo???? really? is this for cowboys?

Last edited:
STEP 2.

I guess we should build a website. Feel free to skip this step

CLick you want to build a website
swap some pics.
add your phone number
Delete all the other ****

keep moving, you can perfect your masterpiece later.

SO!

in 54 minutes, we have accomplished quite a bit.

If you really want to start a small service business. just do these steps. dont read on until you do.

Tomorrow we start to make money.

Then we can worry about taxes and ****

I like your start. Plow through that stuff. I'm a big proponent of a really nice, informative website, but in the beginning, any website works, and for service trades, puts you ahead of most of your competition.

$1000
-$35.81 go daddy
-25.59 biz cards

= 938.60
My company is going to do digital business cards only, I think.

Share QR code on your phone, people scan it, and bam, they have your contact info, and links to whatever you like. Website, Facebook page, etc.

Remove the work of people entering your info. (y)
And as an added bonus it is by default "fishbowl drawing" lead generation proof.

$1000
-$35.81 go daddy
-25.59 biz cards

= 938.60
My company is going to do digital business cards only, I think.

Share QR code on your phone, people scan it, and bam, they have your contact info, and links to whatever you like. Website, Facebook page, etc.

Remove the work of people entering your info. (y)

I feel like such a boomer saying this but QR codes are the best business tool since email.

Ive been on the fence for awhile but its timed to get cracking. I think Im going to open a small home improvement/handyman company.

I have a paid off light pickup truck
Need to do all the above steps KGB mentioned
Get some simple magnets for the truck

I want to focus on something specific but be open to other opportunities. Leaning drainage/leaky basements and/or fences.

A contractor I just worked with started out just installing ceiling fans - made $80k his first year 10 years later his company now grosses $20MM/annually.

• Love

I feel like such a boomer saying this but QR codes are the best business tool since email.
Does any tech work as well as QR codes? You open your camera in the general vicinity of a QR code, and it picks it up. They are awesome.

We are going to be doing swag, hats and hoodies and socks etc. I am trying to think of why it would be a bad idea to incorporate a QR code into the actual printing, and I cannot.

Ive been on the fence for awhile but its timed to get cracking. I think Im going to open a small home improvement/handyman company.

I want to focus on something specific but be open to other opportunities. Leaning drainage/leaky basements and/or fences.

A contractor I just worked with started out just installing ceiling fans - made $80k his first year 10 years later his company now grosses $20MM/annually.
IIRC, you've been in and around construction a long time. If you're good and fair, you'll get all of the work you can handle.

I'm over in the northern Shenandoah Valley and can not find a good handyman.

On my pool biz I started with magnets (science *****!)

I got them from Vista print for like 30 bucks I wanna say

Anyone work with qr codes? What's the best way to make one?
QR Codes are very easy to make. If you want send me the URLs and i'll make them...I'm a professional designer and run my own creative agency

however if you want to track those codes and get analytic, sites like Flowcode are subscription based but you can see stats on who is hitting the codes and how often.

I know you are on a budget right now, but IMO, your best investment is your branding and I wouldn't put that off too long. Wrapping your trailer is a must b/c it is a rolling billboard that is working 24/7, esp in hyper local services like landscaping.

Your brand extends beyond the look of the business, people want folks on their property who are trustworthy and friendly. Look at things that no one else is doing on a customer service side. For instance, sending a weekly email with headshots of the crew doing the job that week so the customer knows who is on their property.

Engage with a text messaging service so you can text your customers things like when you will be arriving (so they can move inside or be off the property, or turn off sprinklers) or if you are canceling for bad weather, (so they are not waiting around), etc

Have dog treats on the truck for the pets and take video of you playing with the customer dogs for instagram. Customers love home services people with a personality.

Did you buy the DR Trimmer? Remember that commercial back in the 90s? "The DR Trimmer on Wheels!" We only had Sears mowers back then. Buying a lawn mower off a TV commercial always seemed weird. But it's the only place you'd ever see "DR" trimmers. I think the rich kids might've had one. The guy on the commercial was always SUPER pissed about his weeds.

Did you buy the DR Trimmer? Remember that commercial back in the 90s? "The DR Trimmer on Wheels!" We only had Sears mowers back then. Buying a lawn mower off a TV commercial always seemed weird. But it's the only place you'd ever see "DR" trimmers. I think the rich kids might've had one. The guy on the commercial was always SUPER pissed about his weeds.
I do remember! they would run over trees and ****

I quoted the big job at $900 and If I get it, ill buy this

OK, quoted the big job and reached out to 1 person who has landscaping service already.

heres the convo....

HI! As one of my longest customers, Id like to ask your opinion on something if that's ok?

absolutely

I'm thinking of opening a landscaping division. Do you think that would take away from being a "professional pool technician"
Like if we did both services? I was thinking maybe it should be 2 businesses

I would think 2 different but if they were scheduled similar days it would save a lot of dirty pools after landscape day

Right!
Do you pay for landscape now?

yes I do

I'm not 100% ready this week, but I will be next month. What would I have to do to sign you up?

im 100% for it. I would just need to know cost.

Thank you for the opportunity!
So..... I need some help. and ill happily discount for this help....
Can you describe what they are doing now? and anything you would like done better please?
Also, name your current price and I will totally hook you up

Right now they come and clean up the front yard which is mostly weed and debris clean up and mow and trim the grass in the backyard and clean up debris and weeds.
They ususally do this once a monthbut I have to ask them to come out.
then when I need my trees trimmed they willl charge more. and when weeds are bad they will charge more.
To Be honest, im willing to pay a bit morewith consistency and knowing how many times a month because the summer the grass always grows faster

Gotcha
Thank you for the honesty.
I plan on running this company very similar to the pool business. very consistent
Ive noticed many companies in both industries are not consistent at all.
I would like to bring what we do for the pool business to landscaping.

Absolutely and im all for that!

If its ok, Id like to meet with you friday to look over the yeard with you.

blah blah blah

we meet tomorrow

Having 2nd thoughts....

I'll still post the next steps to how to start a small service business. but im not sure I want to start this right before summer in AZ.
I really need a person with a green thumb to do the work. I can run the business, etc, but I dont really want to be out there doing the work in the heat.

My dad has been a handyman as his side gig for 50 years. After he retired from driving a school bus he kept at it but slowed down. Had a lot of steady clients. He is 73 now, and has been trying to retire the handyman business for a few years. He only takes jobs now that don’t require that he get on a ladder and only takes demo work if my sons are available to help him. He now charges 2-3x market rate to try to get people to stop calling, but they keep hiring him.
Good gig once you establish a name.

ETA: He has also recently started having the clients pay for materials up front and works strictly on a per hour basis. They still won’t stop calling.

"Weather" and "doing work in the heat" can just be items added to the "threats" portion of your swot analysis. Then they can be analyzed and accounted for strategically. There are creative solutions.

If the motivation of getting started is a problem, write out a seperate section in your plan that highlights the intrinsic rewards of doing the work. A job well done, pride of ownership. And add in the extrinsic rewards as well - the money, the goal of acquiring the new trimmer - everything you can think of that'll put you back into the mindset you were in when you first started.

Accounting is good, but plans for overcoming internal weaknesses, external threats and motivation issues deserves a place in the plan, too.

My dad has been a handyman as his side gig for 50 years. After he retired from driving a school bus he kept at it but slowed down. Had a lot of steady clients. He is 73 now, and has been trying to retire the handyman business for a few years. He only takes jobs now that don’t require that he get on a ladder and only takes demo work if my sons are available to help him. He now charges 2-3x market rate to try to get people to stop calling, but they keep hiring him.
Good gig once you establish a name.

ETA: He has also recently started having the clients pay for materials up front and works strictly on a per hour basis. They still won’t stop calling.
Great about your dad and his reputation as a handyman but I’m curious about the school bus driver. Was he contracted or work directly for the school system? Was the school bus driver salary enough to sustain him or is that why he did the handyman gig as well?

Seems like you need the opposite of a green thumb for your workforce, imo.
So, the idea started when the just killing weeds, but a lot of people want more.

I've decided to move forward with just weeds, but not full on landscaping.

It's also our busiest 2 months; of the year for the pool company right now. So, there's that.

Gonna move forward, but slowly. Isn't my first rodeo

new quick 30 second update.
added biz card as a pic.

keep in mind. right now, this business is a thought.... an idea.

im not looking for clicks off the internet... YET!
but im looking to look fairly legit when I see someone face to face and they look me up

the job of a webiste in the service industry isnt to sell.
its to have them call you, OR! just show legitimacy

If I were selling widgets, I would use shopify. this is an example of how to get a smalll service based industry off the ground...

I know you are on a budget right now, but IMO, your best investment is your branding and I wouldn't put that off too long. Wrapping your trailer is a must b/c it is a rolling billboard that is working 24/7, esp in hyper local services like landscaping.

Your brand extends beyond the look of the business, people want folks on their property who are trustworthy and friendly. Look at things that no one else is doing on a customer service side. For instance, sending a weekly email with headshots of the crew doing the job that week so the customer knows who is on their property.

Engage with a text messaging service so you can text your customers things like when you will be arriving (so they can move inside or be off the property, or turn off sprinklers) or if you are canceling for bad weather, (so they are not waiting around), etc

Have dog treats on the truck for the pets and take video of you playing with the customer dogs for instagram. Customers love home services people with a personality.
Brother, I agree with alot of this. im giving an example of how to start a service based business for $500 to $1000 start up.
For example. I only had one shirt with my logo. and just wore it for meeting new customers. it was a polo

SO!

in 54 minutes, we have accomplished quite a bit.

If you really want to start a small service business. just do these steps. dont read on until you do.

Tomorrow we start to make money.

Then we can worry about taxes and ****
OK. SO, I said tomorrow we make money.

Just interested... did anyone do the starting steps?

######################STEP 5############## buy something like this

either way. next thing to buy is this

or something similiar.

$1000
-$35.81 go daddy
-25.59 biz cards
-30 portfolio

=$908.60

Last edited:
------------------------------------Step 6.........................................................

by now, you have website up.

so, step 6...

announce to your friends you are "going to be a small business owner!!!! or Going to an entrepreneur!!!

Listen, we are not MLM people. we are not going to even bring up your business in conversation. if they are facebook friends, they will bring it up. there is so many boring things on facebook.

When I announced
"IM STARTING A POOL COMPANY FOR LESS THAN $500...follow me here!" on facebook. it was the most interaction ive ever gotten. people were laughing waiting for the failure posts. and funny stories.

and I delivered. I told them every single meeting, what I did wrong, every win, etc. they ate it up/

AND. this is a way to pitch your friends and family without EVER even asking. they now know you do XXXYYY and eventually will call. but now you are not a douche asking for money. you are having a great time typing out your day to day struggles and WINS!

for instance. made a business card. new post
made a website, new post
bought a shirt, new post, check out my logo!!!!
"someone posted on facebook needing XXXXX, heres what I did!
" a customer today swore at me and told me to **** off!!!/ thats a post

Last edited:
step #7 (The secret)}

join facebook group's

yeah yeah, just do it . buy and sell groups, etc. each state is different. but every day, there are people looking for landscaping, pools, windows,pressure washging, etc.

you need to join them. all of them, ****ing search for the cities or something, ask friends.

but heres the thing.
in most industries. they are doing the same thing. so I will tell you the secret...

"I need XYX"
60 replys happen within an hour

just reply with www.mybusiness.com

Then private message them.

"Hi!
Johnny with www.mybiz.com
I saw you posted looking for your weeds to be cut.
are you in city?
is it front and back yard?
A SIMPLE QUESTION. JUST TO GET THE CONVO GOING

THIS IS CALLED SALES. IT BEGINS HERE

IT DOESNT HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT.

the best solution is well placed karate chops it will get those things knocked down it will use the mystical eastern fighting arts and it is a great workout take that to the bank brohans

It's absolutely critical you get your Google Business Page started ASAP. Verification with Google can be a bit tricky, especially with a service business that doesn't have a physical location.

That being said, get on it sooner than later. Without it, good luck getting any SEO results and traffic to the site.

Users who are viewing this thread