What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Equifax hack exposes personal info of 143 million people (1 Viewer)

nd the credit monitoring is reportedly only for a year. That is some serious garbage. If you collect every piece of identifying information you can on everyone without their consent, and use that information to directly affect their financial life, and allow that info to be stolen, you should be forced to provide credit monitoring for a lifetime for everyone affected.
Yeah, I mean after a year your data is still out there.  It doesn't vanish and doesn't change. Who is going to go out there and delete it?  

Great article.

I think his suggestion that everyone should put on a credit freeze with all 4 credit bureaus is a great idea. Going to do that for me, my wife and daughter this weekend.

It's the best way to prevent financial identity theft and there is very little drawback.
Do you know why there's not just one credit bureau?   This freezing idea makes sense, but that's 4 separate places I need to contact, pay and maintain a pin for.   Then when I want new credit, I need to call the new credit company to find out which of the 4 they use so I can they unfreeze my credit review with the appropriate bureau.  

Some conflicting reports out there.  May take signing up for their service to waive class action rights.  Seems pretty clear, though, that if you sign up for the free monitoring service you definitely waive your rights to class action suit, though.  They added a nice little arbitration clause to the sign up agreement on September 6th.  Shady as ####.

https://twitter.com/dmitrivellikok/status/906182735600943104

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night using the site, it only responded with the date to enroll in the monitoring service. This  morning it gives you a brief message "your information may have been affected" or "your information may not have been affected".

I called into the telephone number. You get a welcome message, If you are calling about the incident..."  The agent was no help just said they are advising everyone to sign up for the monitoring service  :thanks:      

CEO offered everyone an apology this morning so I guess all is forgiven.  :mellow:    Let's see some heads roll!  

Apparently they sent out letters to consumers also that were affected.  I didn't get a letter but the web site says "my information may have been affected".

Some conflicting reports out there.  May take signing up for their service to waive class action rights.  Seems pretty clear, though, that if you sign up for the free monitoring service you definitely waive your rights to class action suit, though.  They added a nice little arbitration clause to the sign up agreement on September 6th.  Shady as ####.

That's some serious :bs: right there.

Like I said earlier, credit monitoring isn't enough anyway. Especially for just 1 year. That's a joke. Credit freeze is your best option. Of course they don't want you doing that because it costs them business when you put a credit freeze on.

And honestly, every state needs to pass regulations prohibiting the credit agencies from charging for putting a freeze on. 

If companies like this are going to retain our personal information without our consent (and personally, I don't think that practice should be allowed in the first place), they need to be strictly regulated and subject to severe penalties when they fail to protect that information.
Yeah, like we can trust the USG here.  This breach is about 2% as serious as the OPM breach, and the govt. basically said, "oh, sorry".  If this applied to OPM I'd have a hefty, hefty check in my hands.

If you pay cash for everything, does this incident impact you at all?
Yes - if you are able to get a loan or CC in any way you're vulnerable to this breach.

For 1 year?  Not worth it.  I checked the site to see what they say and they deferred me to Sept. 12th.  That's good, right?   :scared:

Do we have word how this breach occurred?  If it was something simply like a phishing scam they deserve to go under.  All these places should have 2 factor authentication so that these simple (yet effective) exploits are no longer effective.

Credit freezes work fine to stop fraudsters from opening new credit accounts but there are a host of other types of fraud that can be committed with this data that freezes wouldn't do jack #### for.

Yeah, like we can trust the USG here.  This breach is about 2% as serious as the OPM breach, and the govt. basically said, "oh, sorry".  If this applied to OPM I'd have a hefty, hefty check in my hands.
Sure. Standards should apply to anyone retaining personal information. Otherwise, don't ####### store it.

Yeah but they say they didn't know anything then!!!
Either that's a lie and they all committed felonies, or their organization has a communication problem to the point that they do not belong in business. 

For the 3 guys that sold shares to not know of that breach within hours of finding it, is to the point of either straining credibility or evidence of total organizational incompetence and failure.

I used to work in IT at an energy company with a nuclear facility. Security was pretty tight both regular and cyber. I was talking to one of the Cyber Security Analysts and she told me about this class she took on Cyber Security. The instructor asked if anyone was brave enough to give up a credit card number. The student typed it in to a field that obscured the numbers so he wouldn't know them (I know, he could've had a key stroke grabber on the machine, but whatever). One student did it and the guy found the CC# in a dark web database in about 30 seconds. So more and more people volunteered until the entire class gave at least one CC# (all voluntary). Every single CC# was in at least one of the databases he checked. 

All of our information is already compromised. The only reason any of us haven't had our identity or credit card stolen is because we haven't been on the outer edge of the Wildebeast migration. 

I've had the same credit card stolen three times for a joint account my wife and I use to transfer money between our personal accounts. The real kicker there is we don't have a credit/debit card for the account. It's simply a means to transfer funds back and forth. We don't ever use that account to purchase anything. There is no card at all for it. We've told the bank that each and every time and to deny any charges that come to that account. Still happens. 

Either that's a lie and they all committed felonies, or their organization has a communication problem to the point that they do not belong in business. 

For the 3 guys that sold shares to not know of that breach within hours of finding it, is to the point of either straining credibility or evidence of total organizational incompetence and failure.
These guys would rather claim that they are stupid than give up the money. Integrity indeed has a price. 

I used to work in IT at an energy company with a nuclear facility. Security was pretty tight both regular and cyber. I was talking to one of the Cyber Security Analysts and she told me about this class she took on Cyber Security. The instructor asked if anyone was brave enough to give up a credit card number. The student typed it in to a field that obscured the numbers so he wouldn't know them (I know, he could've had a key stroke grabber on the machine, but whatever). One student did it and the guy found the CC# in a dark web database in about 30 seconds. So more and more people volunteered until the entire class gave at least one CC# (all voluntary). Every single CC# was in at least one of the databases he checked. 

All of our information is already compromised. The only reason any of us haven't had our identity or credit card stolen is because we haven't been on the outer edge of the Wildebeast migration. 

I've had the same credit card stolen three times for a joint account my wife and I use to transfer money between our personal accounts. The real kicker there is we don't have a credit/debit card for the account. It's simply a means to transfer funds back and forth. We don't ever use that account to purchase anything. There is no card at all for it. We've told the bank that each and every time and to deny any charges that come to that account. Still happens. 
I probably go through 2 of my Chase Visa cards every year. Seems like those always get stolen for some reason? 

Although, my AMEX has only been stolen twice in the past 15 years since I've had it. :shrug:  

I probably go through 2 of my Chase Visa cards every year. Seems like those always get stolen for some reason? 

Although, my AMEX has only been stolen twice in the past 15 years since I've had it. :shrug:  
Knock on wood, that one credit card/bank account is the only thing that has been nabbed of mine. Albeit three friggin times!

CC#s are fairly easy to get. This is a little more disturbing because it also includes addresses, birthdates, phone numbers and SSNs. 

But you're right. Most of that info is probably already compromised. 

Which again, is why everyone should just get credit freezes with every credit bureau. If you need more credit, you just have to remember to contact the right credit bureau with your assigned PIN and unthaw it 24 hours in advance. Well worth the $60 or so to do it and the $15 each time to unthaw and replace it.

And the credit monitoring is reportedly only for a year. That is some serious garbage. If you collect every piece of identifying information you can on everyone without their consent, and use that information to directly affect their financial life, and allow that info to be stolen, you should be forced to provide credit monitoring for a lifetime for everyone affected.
After a year, you will be auto-enrolled in their $19.99 per month credit monitoring.
I just heard that in the fine print that you also give up your right to sue them too.  What a deal!!

CC#s are fairly easy to get. This is a little more disturbing because it also includes addresses, birthdates, phone numbers and SSNs. 

But you're right. Most of that info is probably already compromised. 

Which again, is why everyone should just get credit freezes with every credit bureau. If you need more credit, you just have to remember to contact the right credit bureau with your assigned PIN and unthaw it 24 hours in advance. Well worth the $60 or so to do it and the $15 each time to unthaw and replace it.
So the big three? How do you know which one you have to unthaw?

Great article.

I think his suggestion that everyone should put on a credit freeze with all 4 credit bureaus is a great idea. Going to do that for me, my wife and daughter this weekend.

It's the best way to prevent financial identity theft and there is very little drawback.
Yes, but I would take Equifax up on their free credit monitoring for one year as well. You might want to do that first as it will be difficult to do if your credit is frozen. While the credit monitoring is not preventative -- they basically tell you that your house is on fire but don't necessarily stop it -- it can help repair it if it is indeed compromised.

Mine was impacted, told to come back on 9/13.  Wtf kind of #### is this?  This company allowed a hack of 143 million customers personal data and they have the audacity to offer one year of free credit monitoring??  Those execs who sold that stock should be charged with a felony and sent to prison.  I am sick and ####### tired of this BS with these data breaches.  It's always the little guy who gets ####ed anymore.  These companies need to be hit hard when they allow this #### to happen.

Yes, but I would take Equifax up on their free credit monitoring for one year as well. You might want to do that first as it will be difficult to do if your credit is frozen. While the credit monitoring is not preventative -- they basically tell you that your house is on fire but don't necessarily stop it -- it can help repair it if it is indeed compromised.
No no no no. If you take their year of credit monitoring, you waive your right to be a part of any class action lawsuit. Plus, you're really going to trust the same company that didn't protect your identity to now protect your identity?

If you want credit monitoring, pay for it from someone else.

I have a feeling that the results of the class action will be much better than a year of their credit monitoring.

Who here has had the largest amount charged to a credit card fraudulently opened in your name?   Let's here some real numbers.   All I here is identity theft this and identity theft that.  Meaningless.   I need some dollars and cents.   

Who here has had the largest amount charged to a credit card fraudulently opened in your name?   Let's here some real numbers.   All I here is identity theft this and identity theft that.  Meaningless.   I need some dollars and cents.   
Not me, but a friend in college spent 3 years dealing with a $120,000 mortgage fraudulently taken out in his name.

now is the time to lock down your credit reports.....make them unavailable with a freeze only you can temporarily unlock with a passcode.  it's a small hassle when you need to buy a car or need credit, very small.  but compared to russians opening up mortgages, CCs and phone accounts, much less a hassle.

Chemical X said:
now is the time to lock down your credit reports.....make them unavailable with a freeze only you can temporarily unlock with a passcode.  it's a small hassle when you need to buy a car or need credit, very small.  but compared to russians opening up mortgages, CCs and phone accounts, much less a hassle.
I just did this as well. Don't forget the 4th agency, Innovis.

Users who are viewing this thread