What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

espn league IR rules annoying (1 Viewer)

houston

Footballguy
Anyone else annoyed by how ESPN's site handles the IR?

I put Aaron Hernandez on the IR this week, no problem.

Now I go to make a transaction this week, but cannot. Site tells me I've got an ineligible player on the IR. Hernandez is now listed as doubtful, not out, so I guess I can't leave him on IR.

What's the point of an IR if you can't put guys there who missed the end of the previous week's game or who are very likely to not play in the upcoming game?

Anyone else annoyed by how ESPN's site handles the IR?I put Aaron Hernandez on the IR this week, no problem.Now I go to make a transaction this week, but cannot. Site tells me I've got an ineligible player on the IR. Hernandez is now listed as doubtful, not out, so I guess I can't leave him on IR.What's the point of an IR if you can't put guys there who missed the end of the previous week's game or who are very likely to not play in the upcoming game?
I think it's good they do this. Otherwise anyone who is slightly questionable could be put on IR. We did this a few years ago and had some problems with putting people on IR and picking up someone else simply because they had a plus symbol next to their name.

I was also annoyed...to the point that I emailed ESPN. The response was prompt and confirms what others have stated herein. Here's the email response for you to judge for yourself...

Thank you for contacting us.

After reviewing Aaron Hernandez's status, it appears as though that New England reactivated him and moved him to "Active" status. This is why he no longer classifies for IR status. I apologize for any confusion.

For live assistance with any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m. EST.

Regards,

Nicholas

ESPN.com Customer Care

Edited to add the relevant email; accidentally included the immediate automated response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if they are Out any time during the week you should be able to leave them there.
My thoughts exactly. If they didn't play the previous week, or missed the end of the game, they should be IR-eligible until kickoff the following week. Especially bad when a guy misses a game, and the following week you can't make a waiver claim without removing that guy from the IR even if nothing is known about his status for the upcoming week's game.

Same thing with Miles Austin. He went from being out until week 6, to having a chance to play on Monday night? What a joke. Austin isn't playing and until they "officially" rule him out I can't make any roster moves. What sucks is they could change the D-doubtful to an O-out at any time so I have to keep going back in there and looking.

Quit complaining. Your IR shouldn't even allow you to use it for 'Out' players, it should be for Injured Reserve players only.

Quit complaining. Your IR shouldn't even allow you to use it for 'Out' players, it should be for Injured Reserve players only.
Agreed. It's IR, which in the NFL is out for the remainder of the year, not for the next day or two.IR responsibly! ;)

Same thing with Miles Austin. He went from being out until week 6, to having a chance to play on Monday night? What a joke. Austin isn't playing and until they "officially" rule him out I can't make any roster moves. What sucks is they could change the D-doubtful to an O-out at any time so I have to keep going back in there and looking.
this is why kickers exist

I think if they are Out any time during the week you should be able to leave them there.
My thoughts exactly. If they didn't play the previous week, or missed the end of the game, they should be IR-eligible until kickoff the following week. Especially bad when a guy misses a game, and the following week you can't make a waiver claim without removing that guy from the IR even if nothing is known about his status for the upcoming week's game.
Our league had an IR policy like this last year and was a complete disaster. People would put doubtful or even suspended players on IR. We got rid or IR all together this year. Much better.

Agreed. It's IR, which in the NFL is out for the remainder of the year, not for the next day or two.IR responsibly! ;)
thisIR is for for Dynasty and Keeper leagues. Not redrafts
:no: This isn't NFL IR, it is fantasy IR, which in some leagues (including redraft with small benches) allows for you to absorb an injury without having to cut someone.

:no: This isn't NFL IR, it is fantasy IR, which in some leagues (including redraft with small benches) allows for you to absorb an injury without having to cut someone.
:goodposting: Why have it in a Redraft league if you can't use it for anyone but players listed on IR or O? It seems it should also be available for D players. Just my :2cents:

Hernandez is back to "out" and IR elgible now. Had the same problem earlier. I'm ok with them going by the official injury report status. Just remember that Pats players will be difficult to categorize.

Hernandez is back to "out" and IR elgible now. Had the same problem earlier. I'm ok with them going by the official injury report status. Just remember that Pats players will be difficult to categorize.
yep look at Brady's 3 year stint on the injury list. lol.

In most all fantasy leagues, IR means NFL IR. I wouldn't blame ESPN because your league has wierd rules. Try MFL if you don't want to follow their preset guidelines...

In most all fantasy leagues, IR means NFL IR. I wouldn't blame ESPN because your league has wierd rules. Try MFL if you don't want to follow their preset guidelines...
Wow! Some of you just can't grab on to the fact that if a player is out for the year there is abosulutely no reason on this earth to keep him on your roster. Our IR spot is for exactly what assassin said it is. Most all fantasy leagues.....gimme a break, there are plenty of redraft leagues that use the IR spot so you don't have to drop a highly drafted player that will be out for multiple weeks. Personally I would rather just have another roster spot, but when you have been playing with the same 10 people for 15 years there's always some guys that never want to change anything. It's like pulling teeth to get rules changed. So, you work it as much as you can within the rules if you want to continue to play. For the guy who said that's what Kickers are for...I can't make any roster moves from the player pool because Miles Austin doesn't have the asterisk that makes them IR eligible. When I paid the $5 to put him on the IR he was eligible. Now he is not. So now if I take him off to drop the kicker and pick up a player from the WW I will have to pay another $5 to put him back on if I want to use that roster spot while he is out. If they weren't saying out until week 6 I wouldn't have even bothered paying and would have just rode it out, but why not use the spot when a guy is out for multiple weeks and there is someone on the WW that can produce. Better you get him than your opponent.Not all leagues are the same fellas.

i'll never understand IR not meaning IR. sure would avoid a lot of headaches if it was used correctly.
agree with this 100 percent. i don't understand why ESPN would allow you to "IR' someone who is not on injured reserve. in the nfl, injured reserve ends your season. it should be the same way in fantasy football.

On Yahoo, IR means IR. Ours is only a one keeper league so it gives people a way to stash a player who could be a potential keeper next year (Charles was just traded for McGahee for this reason). Just like in fantasy baseball, you can't DL a player because he's missing a few games; he must be on the official DL, just like IR.

Leagues should have their rosters set at a level that allows enough depth but also to absorb a couple players being out week to week. Tough decisions is what makes it strategic.

I'm more irritated with their trade rules. You can't propose a trade if you are at your limit at a roster position. So as an example, if you have 6 wrs and that is your leagues max, you can't propose a rb for a wr trade because it will put you above the roster max. In theory, I get it. However, if you are weak at wr why would you drop someone without knowing if the trade will be excepted. Why not let the trade be proposed but then leave it as conditionally excepted pending a wr is dropped. That's how the actual NFL does it. You don't dropped a roster player in hopes of getting a player in a trade. You release that player after the trade is accepted.

'maxwjom0 said:
Our league had an IR policy like this last year and was a complete disaster. People would put doubtful or even suspended players on IR. We got rid or IR all together this year. Much better.
I have been an advocate of this for years. Finally got my local league to sign on last year.Added one roster spot. Got rid of IR. Done.Sorry to hijack. Just agreeing that this is a worthwhile tack to pursue (IMO).

I wish my league would add a roster spot instead...with a 5 man bench, it's hard to maintain a successful dynasty team without having a spot for injured players to go. I have Mendenhall, Hernandez, and Austin, and cannot even offer up a trade because it bumped Austin out of IR eligibility although he has a bye this week. Essentially, i would have to drop 2 players to make a waiver claim tonight.

I'm almost tempted to drop my only D and K until they rule someone "out", but that's not right, either.

I wish my league would add a roster spot instead...with a 5 man bench, it's hard to maintain a successful dynasty team without having a spot for injured players to go. I have Mendenhall, Hernandez, and Austin, and cannot even offer up a trade because it bumped Austin out of IR eligibility although he has a bye this week. Essentially, i would have to drop 2 players to make a waiver claim tonight.I'm almost tempted to drop my only D and K until they rule someone "out", but that's not right, either.
5 man bench dynasty? why even play dynasty with that bench if you always have to drop your rookies. I thought my 4 man redraft bench was short haha.

Wow! Some of you just can't grab on to the fact that if a player is out for the year there is abosulutely no reason on this earth to keep him on your roster. Our IR spot is for exactly what assassin said it is. Most all fantasy leagues.....gimme a break, there are plenty of redraft leagues that use the IR spot so you don't have to drop a highly drafted player that will be out for multiple weeks. Personally I would rather just have another roster spot, but when you have been playing with the same 10 people for 15 years there's always some guys that never want to change anything. It's like pulling teeth to get rules changed. So, you work it as much as you can within the rules if you want to continue to play. For the guy who said that's what Kickers are for...I can't make any roster moves from the player pool because Miles Austin doesn't have the asterisk that makes them IR eligible. When I paid the $5 to put him on the IR he was eligible. Now he is not. So now if I take him off to drop the kicker and pick up a player from the WW I will have to pay another $5 to put him back on if I want to use that roster spot while he is out. If they weren't saying out until week 6 I wouldn't have even bothered paying and would have just rode it out, but why not use the spot when a guy is out for multiple weeks and there is someone on the WW that can produce. Better you get him than your opponent.Not all leagues are the same fellas.
Wow!!! You don't understand what IR means in the NFL.

I think it is stupid too. I can't put Miles Austin on IR. Even though I could have last week. And he's now on a bye and never played. Apparently he's questionable this week. News to me.

Very glad to see someone post about this. I have been complaining to ESPN about their policies with the IR slot for years and it always pissed me off. My main problem with it is very simple. Somebody who was out for the previous game should be considered as out until the injury report comes in on Wednesday. My waiver claims go through early Wednesday morning and I usually put in my claims on Tuesday night and they almost always show a player who was out on the previous Sunday as questionable. This forces me to have to drop someone on my team in order to make my roster eligible so I can make moves.

This is true even for players who are clearly out for a few weeks and have no chance whatsoever to play the following Sunday. Espn just makes up their own injury status from nowhere and forces teams to make unwanted cuts. Extremely frustrating.

this

IR is for for Dynasty and Keeper leagues. Not redrafts
Wow! Some of you just can't grab on to the fact that if a player is out for the year there is abosulutely no reason on this earth to keep him on your roster. Our IR spot is for exactly what assassin said it is. Most all fantasy leagues.....gimme a break, there are plenty of redraft leagues that use the IR spot so you don't have to drop a highly drafted player that will be out for multiple weeks.

Personally I would rather just have another roster spot, but when you have been playing with the same 10 people for 15 years there's always some guys that never want to change anything. It's like pulling teeth to get rules changed. So, you work it as much as you can within the rules if you want to continue to play.

For the guy who said that's what Kickers are for...I can't make any roster moves from the player pool because Miles Austin doesn't have the asterisk that makes them IR eligible. When I paid the $5 to put him on the IR he was eligible. Now he is not. So now if I take him off to drop the kicker and pick up a player from the WW I will have to pay another $5 to put him back on if I want to use that roster spot while he is out. If they weren't saying out until week 6 I wouldn't have even bothered paying and would have just rode it out, but why not use the spot when a guy is out for multiple weeks and there is someone on the WW that can produce. Better you get him than your opponent.

Not all leagues are the same fellas.
Wow!!! You don't understand what IR means in the NFL.
This is fantasy football. The rules aren't the same as in the NFL, but thanks for the understanding.

i'll never understand IR not meaning IR. sure would avoid a lot of headaches if it was used correctly.
agree with this 100 percent. i don't understand why ESPN would allow you to "IR' someone who is not on injured reserve. in the nfl, injured reserve ends your season. it should be the same way in fantasy football.
I'm not sure why espn is getting in the way of a commish/owner running a league/team, after all espn is JUST hosting the league they don't interpret YOUR rules.leagues with small rosters need to be able to use the IR feature, cause with byes how else are you going to find starters?

I stupidly added an IR spot in a league I made because I only had 5 bench spots (14 team league) and didn't want the WW to be barren every week. I think anyone listed as doubtful or below should be eligible, but I'll just remove the IR spot and create a few extra bench positions next year

Users who are viewing this thread