What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ethical move - you decide please (1 Viewer)

lion_crazz

Footballguy
I am the commish of my league and in the 12 years of its operations, I have never had a major problem. I am not sure why I am posting this - maybe to vent, maybe for some confirmation that what happened was indeed unethical, who knows. If anything, you guys know best because these kinds of situations come up all the time.

This past weekend was our championship game. The championship came down to me (10-4) and my opponent (10-3-1). On top of that, this past weekend was also our toilet bowl game, as well as the game between the losers of the wildcard round of the playoffs. Every team was playing for something.

The rules of the league state that all first-priority transactions go through on Fridays, except for times when there are games on Thursday. In that case, the first priority transactions happen on Wednesday, followed by the normal transactions on Fridays, and then it is first come, first serve up until kickoff.

No one put in any transactions Wednesday. Friday rolls around, the number 3 team (who has Brandon Jacobs and dropped Derrick Ward a few weeks ago) puts in for a few players and none of them are Derrick Ward. I decide to put in for Derrick Ward, being that Brandon Jacobs just got announced injured. I put all the transactions through Friday night and everything is fine. Sunday morning rolls around and I wake up and have breakfast, a little nervous for the championship game. Upon going upstairs around 12:30, I see that I have two phone calls and two voicemails from my opponent that morning - one from his phone and one from his wife's phone.Seems urgent. Both voicemails state that he needs to talk to me immediately and to call him before one. I called him and he begins grilling me about when I got Dominic Rhodes. Now, Rhodes has been on my roster for well over a month now due to the constant injuries to Joseph Addai. My opponent says that he went to log into CBS Sportsline to pick him up and realized I already had him and thought something was fishy. I explained again that he has been on my roster for weeks. He then goes onto ask about Derrick Ward. I explained that I picked him up Friday. He tells me that it seems unfair that I have "all the hot players" that he logged onto get. Now, this is a half hour before kickoff, mind you. He continues on about how it is unfair that I have these guys, and I explain that even if we both put in for Ward, I would have still gotten him due to having a worst record (league rules). He agrees, but again, says that it just seems a bit unfair and he wanted the guys. He then proceeds to tell me how his team is all injured, how he needs a lot of luck, etc. We hang up, and now I am thinking about how he basically just called my commisioner status into question, saying what I did was unfair, even though I did nothing wrong. Well, I decided to bench Derrick Ward because of his phone calls and his upset attitude toward me. I subbed LenDale White in for him, even though I really did not want to play White because of his injuries. I did it though so there was no way he could try the whole "unfair angle" again.

Well, come Sunday night, the 4:00 games end and I lose by one point. Neither one of us had any players to play in SNF or MNF, so I go down losing by one point. Lendale White got me 2 points, while Derrick Ward would have scored me 7, and thus, given me the win.

Do you think this guy calling me was an ethical move? Am I making a bigger deal out of his phone calls than I should be? Just looking for some honest opinions here...

Last edited by a moderator:
My $0.02

He was whiny (but not unethical) to call you.

Your picking up Ward was perfectly ethical.

Your decision to bench Ward was highminded but dumb. It cost you and it's your own fault.

This guy is a whiny idiot. If you're using CBS it shows when your guys were picked up. Don't invite him back next year and tell him to :rolleyes:

The only mildly unethical thing there was his calling your integrity into question, which mind-gamed you into changing your roster. You had no need to sit Ward, except for it alleviating your guilt.

You benching Ward was your fault... that being said, I would call the guy and say that if he ever feels the need to question your integrity again he needn't call you he will be dropping the league on his will or not.

The only thing you did wrong, was benching Ward when you didnt have to.

Every league has DB's, but when they whine during the playoffs, over totally legit moves, theyre either the guy who never gets that far, or a whining basturd.

I dont think him calling matters at all, but if your leaguemates are half decent, I dont see how they would vote/rule against you starting Rhodes or Ward this week.

I see your position, but you did nothing wrong by what you said...Therefore, starting whoever you wanted on your roster wasnt wrong/cheap.

ETA: When I said DB's, I meant douchebags, not your everyday CB or FS or SS

I've ran several Fantasy leagues myself over the last 10 years! And I know exactly where you are coming from!! There is always that one guy that thinks just because you have all the power to make changes in the league that you would at some point use them in the incorrect manner to better your own team!??

The mistake you made was benching Ward! You did nothing wrong by simply playing Fantasy Football!! I would have started both Ward and Rhodes and after beating him made sure he knew that it was his own fault for not paying enough attn to get Rhodes a month ago AND to see Ward was even available(for what ever reason)!!???

Guys like him need to just stay away! Crybaby!!! :wall:

Just a buddy venting to another

You'll know it if he questions your ethics, they'll be no doubt as to whether he is or not

If anything, your decision to bench Ward may have validated (in his mind) that something was "fishy" or at the very least, that playing the "commish card" is effective. It probably won't be the last time he'll do it.

You made a mistake man....I hope it didn't cost you much money. You did nothing wrong and you let his complaining cloud your judgement.

If anything, your decision to bench Ward may have validated (in his mind) that something was "fishy" or at the very least, that playing the "commish card" is effective. It probably won't be the last time he'll do it.
:confused: That's exactly what I was going to say. You shouldn't have benched Ward, but because you did I think it would look rather strange you made the move especially after he called you out. You did nothing wrong, but I'm sure the dude will tell others in your league you had been making some questionable moves and your switch in the lineup proved it. As far as the Rhodes move, the guy is an idiot if he thought Rhodes would still be a FA. I can't think of one league that would have had Rhodes as a FA at this point especially given the injuires from Addai.

I would question why your rules allow transactions during the playoffs.
:confused: Why can't transactions occur during the playoffs? In pretty much every league I've been in the teams that were still in the playoffs were able to make FA pickups. Not sure why you would call that into question.

habsfan said:
:confused: agreed with habsfan 100% ... your Ward benching may not have only validated his suspicion, but it served to let that d-bag know that he absolutely bullied/manipulated you into a terrible play (LenWhale over Ward). as soon as he bought up Rhodes, i would've (you should've) dismissed the whole episode as drama and theatrics. guy behaved like a whiny tool, and, as stated, manipulated your decision.to be honest, in this battle of wits, he kicked your commish #### from here to St. Smithens Day ...

You knew the rules backed you up and you still benched Ward? The rest of the league would have backed you up. You did it to yourself.

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:
My $0.02He was whiny (but not unethical) to call you.Your picking up Ward was perfectly ethical.Your decision to bench Ward was highminded but dumb. It cost you and it's your own fault.
:lmao: You only reinforced his whiny, #####y behavior. He'll do it again.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
:lmao: Why can't transactions occur during the playoffs? In pretty much every league I've been in the teams that were still in the playoffs were able to make FA pickups. Not sure why you would call that into question.
It's a common refrain from people that like to think they are better than you.

I'm not getting this at all...You pick up players legitimately, yet someone calls to complain that you have all the hot players? I would have laughed in his face and asked what the heck he was talking about..this is fantasy football, you are playing for money...so it is your responsibility to field the best team possible, including having the best bench possible. You not starting Ward was ridiculous. Why would you let someone make you feel guilty when you did nothing wrong? That doesn't make sense to me at all. The whole scenario sounds strange to me.

You knew the rules backed you up and you still benched Ward? The rest of the league would have backed you up. You did it to yourself.
:lmao: You did nothing wrong except bench the guy you wanted to play. Your opponent is a whiny tool but he played you like a fiddle.

There are no "ethical" issues here. The guy who called you to complain that you had a really good lineup wasn't being "unethical" he was being a whiney #####. You bencing a starter for another player you knew wasn't as good a start because you felt guilty wasn't "unethical," it was stupid.

#####y/stupid are what happened here, not ethical/unethical.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
:lmao: Why can't transactions occur during the playoffs? In pretty much every league I've been in the teams that were still in the playoffs were able to make FA pickups. Not sure why you would call that into question.
I'm in four leagues and none allow transactions during the playoffs.. We try to emulate the NFL as closely as we can. Allowing transactions during the playoff takes another level of skill out of FF. JMO

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:
My $0.02He was whiny (but not unethical) to call you.Your picking up Ward was perfectly ethical.Your decision to bench Ward was highminded but dumb. It cost you and it's your own fault.
Twilight said:
The only mildly unethical thing there was his calling your integrity into question, which mind-gamed you into changing your roster. You had no need to sit Ward, except for it alleviating your guilt.
These two posts say it all. The worst thing about this is that you actually were picking up Ward to start him and not just picking him up so your opponent couldn't get him (which would have been a very plausible move to play waiver wire defense). It's kind of sad that he would call you up to whine when he could have easily claimed Ward earlier in the week. He was complaining b/c you were the savvy GM and he wished he had made those moves.One suggestion I have to improve your league is to change it so that the waivers don't always give priority to the team with the worse record. That is unfair to have it be that way every single week. What you should do if you want to keep a waiver order (and not go with blind bidding) is somehow establish some order to start the season and then once you make a pick you go to the end of the line. Some leagues will even mix it up so that all teams making picks in a given week go to the end of the line and reverse their order (so as to not perpetuate the arbitraryness of how the initial order was determined ... i.e. so that you are not behind a team the entire season if you both made picks every week). Just a suggestion.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
I'm in four leagues and none allow transactions during the playoffs.. We try to emulate the NFL as closely as we can. Allowing transactions during the playoff takes another level of skill out of FF. JMO
yea ... but it's also limiting if you have an predictable injury ... that would be horrible to lose in the title game b/c both your QBs got injured in week 15i think the better approach would be to give a team 1 pickup for the postseason or 1 per week or something like that so that guys aren't recreating their entire rosteri personally feel like transactions are part of the game and test you as a fantasy GM ... even if you don't need to make a move for yourself, sometimes making a move to get a player your opponent needs is the savvy approach

Tar Heel Boy said:
habsfan said:
:goodposting: That's exactly what I was going to say. You shouldn't have benched Ward, but because you did I think it would look rather strange you made the move especially after he called you out. You did nothing wrong, but I'm sure the dude will tell others in your league you had been making some questionable moves and your switch in the lineup proved it. As far as the Rhodes move, the guy is an idiot if he thought Rhodes would still be a FA. I can't think of one league that would have had Rhodes as a FA at this point especially given the injuires from Addai.
:goodposting: 'sBy benching Ward you may have opened the door for him and justified (in his mind) his complaints. It was a legal move and I would have started Ward. I know as a Commish you have to take the high road on a lot of things, but this shouldn't have been one of them. I can appreciate what you were trying to do, but I think it might have done more harm than good in the long run.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
:goodposting: Why can't transactions occur during the playoffs? In pretty much every league I've been in the teams that were still in the playoffs were able to make FA pickups. Not sure why you would call that into question.
so what if your kicker goes down, or a TE? If you are emulating the NFL, do you make up for it by having a 53 man roster or something? :goodposting:

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
:goodposting: Why can't transactions occur during the playoffs? In pretty much every league I've been in the teams that were still in the playoffs were able to make FA pickups. Not sure why you would call that into question.
so what if your kicker goes down, or a TE? If you are emulating the NFL, do you make up for it by having a 53 man roster or something?
good point (with the kicker) .. i mean, many teams carry just one and if that one gets hurt they will put him on IR and sign one off the street ... i agree that no transactions does NOT emulate the NFL in any way

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
Fair enough. I don't really see how it takes skill out of it though. I think we can all say there is a high percentage of luck, both good and bad, in fantasy football. I don't carry more than one kicker in any league and I would not be too thrilled to know I couldn't pick up a PK because transactions are froze. I understand making adjustments to ones roster prior to the playoffs so this wouldn't happen, but still I don't see a problem with FA pickups in the playoffs. JMO though.

Twilight said:
:goodposting: The OP shouldn't have felt any guilt IMO.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
Fair enough. I don't really see how it takes skill out of it though. I think we can all say there is a high percentage of luck, both good and bad, in fantasy football. I don't carry more than one kicker in any league and I would not be too thrilled to know I couldn't pick up a PK because transactions are froze. I understand making adjustments to ones roster prior to the playoffs so this wouldn't happen, but still I don't see a problem with FA pickups in the playoffs. JMO though.
I think most people feel this way. It definitely doesn't take the skill out of it. Any of us could prepare by adding the extra kicker to sure up our injury risk if we knew there were no transactions, but most of us think it's ridiculous to have a rule forcing us to do so. There is so much luck in FF no matter how skillful you are in judging talent. Nobody can predict injuries. To me it's not being more skilled to force teams to carry that extra kicker instead of allowing them to pick him up if an injury occurs.The injury argument is really the only argument against limiting transactions. If your (directed at Pharfur) argument is that you don't want teams to reinvent their rosters than I think limiting it to one transaction a week accomplishes this come playoff time. You could always have a provision stating that extra transactions are allowed only if it is proven that the owner has no bench alternatives due to a second untimely injury occuring.

Seriously, did you just post this to have people tell you how altruistic and noble your move was? Because it really wasn't. It flies in the face of everything that fantasy football is about.

you made what seems like a totally legal and ethical move. The other guy played head games and "tricked" you into feeling sorry for him. Shame on him for being such a baby and shame on you for falling for it. If i were in the league with you guys, i'd ridicule the both of you for this sorry display for the remainder of the league's existance.

Next year, when he drafts a player you want, break down into tears. It's only fair.

you made what seems like a totally legal and ethical move. The other guy played head games and "tricked" you into feeling sorry for him. Shame on him for being such a baby and shame on you for falling for it. If i were in the league with you guys, i'd ridicule the both of you for this sorry display for the remainder of the league's existance.

Next year, when he drafts a player you want, break down into tears. It's only fair.
:lmao: :lmao:

I am the commish of my league and in the 12 years of its operations, I have never had a major problem. I am not sure why I am posting this - maybe to vent, maybe for some confirmation that what happened was indeed unethical, who knows. If anything, you guys know best because these kinds of situations come up all the time.This past weekend was our championship game. The championship came down to me (10-4) and my opponent (10-3-1). On top of that, this past weekend was also our toilet bowl game, as well as the game between the losers of the wildcard round of the playoffs. Every team was playing for something. The rules of the league state that all first-priority transactions go through on Fridays, except for times when there are games on Thursday. In that case, the first priority transactions happen on Wednesday, followed by the normal transactions on Fridays, and then it is first come, first serve up until kickoff.No one put in any transactions Wednesday. Friday rolls around, the number 3 team (who has Brandon Jacobs and dropped Derrick Ward a few weeks ago) puts in for a few players and none of them are Derrick Ward. I decide to put in for Derrick Ward, being that Brandon Jacobs just got announced injured. I put all the transactions through Friday night and everything is fine. Sunday morning rolls around and I wake up and have breakfast, a little nervous for the championship game. Upon going upstairs around 12:30, I see that I have two phone calls and two voicemails from my opponent that morning - one from his phone and one from his wife's phone.Seems urgent. Both voicemails state that he needs to talk to me immediately and to call him before one. I called him and he begins grilling me about when I got Dominic Rhodes. Now, Rhodes has been on my roster for well over a month now due to the constant injuries to Joseph Addai. My opponent says that he went to log into CBS Sportsline to pick him up and realized I already had him and thought something was fishy. I explained again that he has been on my roster for weeks. He then goes onto ask about Derrick Ward. I explained that I picked him up Friday. He tells me that it seems unfair that I have "all the hot players" that he logged onto get. Now, this is a half hour before kickoff, mind you. He continues on about how it is unfair that I have these guys, and I explain that even if we both put in for Ward, I would have still gotten him due to having a worst record (league rules). He agrees, but again, says that it just seems a bit unfair and he wanted the guys. He then proceeds to tell me how his team is all injured, how he needs a lot of luck, etc. We hang up, and now I am thinking about how he basically just called my commisioner status into question, saying what I did was unfair, even though I did nothing wrong. Well, I decided to bench Derrick Ward because of his phone calls and his upset attitude toward me. I subbed LenDale White in for him, even though I really did not want to play White because of his injuries. I did it though so there was no way he could try the whole "unfair angle" again. Well, come Sunday night, the 4:00 games end and I lose by one point. Neither one of us had any players to play in SNF or MNF, so I go down losing by one point. Lendale White got me 2 points, while Derrick Ward would have scored me 7, and thus, given me the win. Do you think this guy calling me was an ethical move? Am I making a bigger deal out of his phone calls than I should be? Just looking for some honest opinions here...
In all honesty, I think your heart is in the right place but you're a lousy commissioner. You had every right to play the guys you wanted to play. You got them fair and square. But your heart is all mushy so a sob story got you to bench a player for no reason because you're afraid your ethics were called into question. Somehow, in your mind, that was the right thing to do-- like it evened out some imaginary injustice.I think commissioners have to do the right thing AND have a backbone. You're supposed to be an owner, too. It's bad for the league to have an owner who can be brow-beaten into changing his lineup because he doesn't like being yelled at. Now the other winner has a different opponent than he would have had if your feelings weren't hurt. What if that affects his shot at a title? You're so afraid that other owners will be unhappy with you that you make roster moves that you know will hurt your own team. Owners need to try to win games, and commissioners need to stand up for upholding the rules of the league. You did neither. I have to be honest here: I'm confident that you're an ethical person, but I'm not sure you should be the commissioner. Either resign the position or fold your team. Your judgment when wearing both hats is poor. :confused:

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
:confused: Why can't transactions occur during the playoffs? In pretty much every league I've been in the teams that were still in the playoffs were able to make FA pickups. Not sure why you would call that into question.
Who was your starting fullback last week?

Surely this guy hasn't been in the league very long, or this attitude of his would have been known about before now. If you are a trusted league Commish, you word is good with your league mates. Not only should you have not acquiesced, but you should have made a mental note to find a replacement owner for next season. But now you can't do that because it will look like sour grapes because you lost.

I guessing that you were the product of a "Soccer Mom" ...

You should have told the guy to F'Off and started the player you wanted.

Point him to the transaction log when you added Rhodes...

Even benching Ward wasn't really a bad move, it just didn't work out. Fatty-fat-tub-of-lard White had good games weeks 13 and 14 and the Texans looked like a better match-up than the Cowboys, especially without Burress to keep the defense honest.

The other guy was a tool, but I wouldn't kick yourself too much over the lineup change.

I am the commish of my league and in the 12 years of its operations, I have never had a major problem. I am not sure why I am posting this - maybe to vent, maybe for some confirmation that what happened was indeed unethical, who knows. If anything, you guys know best because these kinds of situations come up all the time.This past weekend was our championship game. The championship came down to me (10-4) and my opponent (10-3-1). On top of that, this past weekend was also our toilet bowl game, as well as the game between the losers of the wildcard round of the playoffs. Every team was playing for something. The rules of the league state that all first-priority transactions go through on Fridays, except for times when there are games on Thursday. In that case, the first priority transactions happen on Wednesday, followed by the normal transactions on Fridays, and then it is first come, first serve up until kickoff.No one put in any transactions Wednesday. Friday rolls around, the number 3 team (who has Brandon Jacobs and dropped Derrick Ward a few weeks ago) puts in for a few players and none of them are Derrick Ward. I decide to put in for Derrick Ward, being that Brandon Jacobs just got announced injured. I put all the transactions through Friday night and everything is fine. Sunday morning rolls around and I wake up and have breakfast, a little nervous for the championship game. Upon going upstairs around 12:30, I see that I have two phone calls and two voicemails from my opponent that morning - one from his phone and one from his wife's phone.Seems urgent. Both voicemails state that he needs to talk to me immediately and to call him before one. I called him and he begins grilling me about when I got Dominic Rhodes. Now, Rhodes has been on my roster for well over a month now due to the constant injuries to Joseph Addai. My opponent says that he went to log into CBS Sportsline to pick him up and realized I already had him and thought something was fishy. I explained again that he has been on my roster for weeks. He then goes onto ask about Derrick Ward. I explained that I picked him up Friday. He tells me that it seems unfair that I have "all the hot players" that he logged onto get. Now, this is a half hour before kickoff, mind you. He continues on about how it is unfair that I have these guys, and I explain that even if we both put in for Ward, I would have still gotten him due to having a worst record (league rules). He agrees, but again, says that it just seems a bit unfair and he wanted the guys. He then proceeds to tell me how his team is all injured, how he needs a lot of luck, etc. We hang up, and now I am thinking about how he basically just called my commisioner status into question, saying what I did was unfair, even though I did nothing wrong. Well, I decided to bench Derrick Ward because of his phone calls and his upset attitude toward me. I subbed LenDale White in for him, even though I really did not want to play White because of his injuries. I did it though so there was no way he could try the whole "unfair angle" again. Well, come Sunday night, the 4:00 games end and I lose by one point. Neither one of us had any players to play in SNF or MNF, so I go down losing by one point. Lendale White got me 2 points, while Derrick Ward would have scored me 7, and thus, given me the win. Do you think this guy calling me was an ethical move? Am I making a bigger deal out of his phone calls than I should be? Just looking for some honest opinions here...
He was whiney....absolutely....But you chose to play White and sit Ward....so the loss is ALL on you...Stop whining yourself and man up.....congratulate him on a good win!

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
Who was your starting fullback last week?
Who cares? I want to know who his long snapper is!

You did nothing wrong. That guy is a whiny tool.

Even if you didn't need those players, picking them up so potential playoff opponents cannot get them is the smart thing to do, and perfectly ethical, too, I might add.

As for Ward or White, starting White was probably the better move based on the matchups beforehand, but who thought Houston would shut down Tennessee's offense?

Your heart was in the right place, your head wasn't.

What kind of precedent do you think this sets?

I am the commish in a league and made a similar mistake or two...

1. Three years ago, Yahoo allowed Colston as a TE (his rookie year, guess he was so big and slow, someone projected him to be a TE in the preseason). I owned Colston in my TE-mandatory PPR league. I actually put his 'position status' up to a vote when a whiner complained. Everyone said "yup, sucks that you have him as TE, wish I did..." and voted to leave it. I then put in a rule that we 'go with the standard Yahoo settings.'

2. Last year, in same PPR league, the Rudi owner and I traded and he was hurting at RB. I 'tossed in' Kenny Watson, who was awesome as a flex. I probably wouldn't have, except wanted the trade to appear 'fair' to the league.

What I learned...have fixed rules, then (like pointing to the shirt...) POINT TO THE RULES when there's an issue and don't let emotion dictate your decisions.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Phurfur said:
so what if your kicker goes down, or a TE? If you are emulating the NFL, do you make up for it by having a 53 man roster or something?
good point (with the kicker) .. i mean, many teams carry just one and if that one gets hurt they will put him on IR and sign one off the street ... i agree that no transactions does NOT emulate the NFL in any way
Yup, we are in two different worlds!. As long as every league plays by its own rules things are fair. It is the degree of difficulty we are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread