What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ever changed your style as an adult? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Moved to Europe 2yrs ago, and every time I come home, I get told "you look more european"... I don't think I have changed at all in appearance, but apparently my style has. So I took a step back and ya... I guess it has. Things are a bit more fitted, my color scheme is a touch different as well... And of course some of the brands are a lot more european.

at my age (40) I wasnt ever expecting to stray from my usual style, but I guess I have transformed a bit, and probably for the better.

What say you? Any progression and/or regression in your life?

My style has definitely changed over the last couple of years (45 yo).

Dropped cargo pants/shorts completely
Moved from clunky basketball shoes to runners shoes (Nike or Brooks) for casual wear
All of my shirts are fitted or tighter now instead of loose or baggy (mostly just moved from XL's to L's)

Definitely changed some since moving from NYC to Boise. Used to dress in very dark/black most of the time. Now a lot more earth tones. Black feels kinda weird now. I even bought a flannel for the first time in like 30 years. Plan to get a few more. No beard yet though.

I used to look pretty young - baby face, carded heavily into my 30s. Now I just look old and beaten down by life. Gone is thr fresh, clean shave, no more contact lenses and I maybe get 3 haircuts a year. Casual business attire, button down shirts, Polos, nicer shoes all replaced by comfort wear and New Balance sneakers. A ballcap is used most days. My facial hair is white, like a man who has seen things he wished he hadn't. I buy a cheap pair of Warby Parker glasses every 18 months or so. If my wife divorced me tomorrow I'd just give up trying to find another gal. I'm OK with that.

I was jeans and t shirts as a kid/teen/20’s/30’s/40’s

53 years old and yep…..Jeans and t shirts are my go to.

Now…..for work I dress sharp. Slim slacks, fitted crisp shirts…..but outside of work…..

Jeans and T shirts.

My style has definitely changed over the last couple of years (45 yo).

Dropped cargo pants/shorts completely
Moved from clunky basketball shoes to runners shoes (Nike or Brooks) for casual wear
All of my shirts are fitted or tighter now instead of loose or baggy (mostly just moved from XL's to L's)
I'm pretty close to this. I actually wear more stylish dress shoes out more as opposed to nice sneaker. I have ditched jeans completely.

Basically, I'm in either a suit of golf clothes now.

I maybe get 3 haircuts a year... My facial hair is white,
I have not gotten a haircut in over a year and have turned into a dirty hippie. And oh, the white facial hair kills me. KILLS me... It used to be blonde. Now it's just straight up Santa white everywhere besides my mustache.

I am interested in the Warby Parker prescription lenses plan though...

Now…..for work I dress sharp. Slim slacks, fitted crisp shirts…..but outside of work…..

Jeans and T shirts.
Same - except for the work part. I’m pretty much jeans and t-shirts full time unless I have a customer meeting. Then I’ll wear a shirt with buttons.

I’ve gotten more casual as I’ve aged - I just want to be comfortable.

I used to look pretty young - baby face, carded heavily into my 30s. Now I just look old and beaten down by life. Gone is thr fresh, clean shave, no more contact lenses and I maybe get 3 haircuts a year. Casual business attire, button down shirts, Polos, nicer shoes all replaced by comfort wear and New Balance sneakers. A ballcap is used most days. My facial hair is white, like a man who has seen things he wished he hadn't. I buy a cheap pair of Warby Parker glasses every 18 months or so. If my wife divorced me tomorrow I'd just give up trying to find another gal. I'm OK with that.
Same. I’m considering the George Costanza all velvet loung suit. 3 of them. In the same color.

I moved to Europe years ago very young. Nautica jeans with brown braided belt. White sleeveless Calvin Klein shirts. Three years later I left with black jeans, black leather jacket. I became Europeanized. Ha ha. I've been dressing in black and dark blues ever since. My family teases me that I dress like a ninja. I've tried to supplement a bright shirt now and again. It's usually gets tossed back in a corner in the closet. At 49 i'm a ninja for life now. Ha ha

Changing my style would imply I had style. So no.
I've been taking better care of myself lately, which has involved upping my "style" game. It starts with buying grooming/hygiene products that help me look better (simple stuff - using body lotion, face moisturizer, cologne, hair care product that doesn't make my hair look crunchy, etc.)

Clothing wise, buying stuff that actually fits is a big step. I'm not rich, but stepping up the quality of clothes I buy has made a big difference, and I'm not buying suits and ties from upscale men's shops. I mean going from like clearance at Ross Dress for Less or shopping online at Kohls, to actually physically going to the mall and trying stuff on at Macy's, which, in the past I would have avoided like the plague.

The other thing I've been trying to do, is being more "intentional" with what I wear as being an "outfit" rather than just thinking - "I need to wear a shirt, pants and shoes" just the change in mindset to - "I need to wear an outfit that looks good together" and taking an extra minute or two to make sure everything works together, really makes a huge difference.

So yeah, I'd say my style has changed, from not trying, to a put together dude. And people notice. It's nice.

I lived in Chicago and New York and had what you would call some type of "urban" style.

But since I moved to Portland and have worked from home the past 5 years, I'm completely casual and am pretty much in athleisure attire most of the time. You can get away with being pretty casual in this city even at the more upscale places. It just doesn't matter.

Jeans and T shirts.
Same here. Except at work I do not dress up. I switch out the t-shirt for a pollo or button down. Most of the time. Sometimes still a t-shirt. We used to be more formal and have a no jeans and sneakers type policy, but I've slowly chipped away at that over the years to where if I showed up in sweats tomorrow no one would bat an eye. If you see me in a suit or with a tie just assume someone is getting married or died.

New Balance are middle aged white guy shoes. Next come the Skechers. Trust me, you will like them.
I had to go see a podiatrist because my foot has been bothering me. Have bad arches. He told me I needed better shoes than the running shoes I had on. I told him I was cool with that, but wasn't ready to bust out the New Balance shoes. Couldn't do that just yet.

New Balance makes some crazy fashionable shoes now, guys. Search online.

I came home with 2 new pairs of NB and EVERYONE asks me about them, younger and my esp my age,

I’m not even sure I have a style. Unless “Married 50yo with many kids and gave up giving AF about clothes a long time ago but stays in shape” Is a style.

I moved job wise from one of thousands at a large multinational corporate behemoth to a small part at a large craft brewery to a large part at a small craft brewery and my day to day clothes have become less and less formal as a result.

I don't even wear the golf shirt for work any more, just one of our branded t-shirt or hoodies and jeans. I've gotten used to that level of comfort and it's hard to go back. I wish we had nice flannel shirts but we don't.

I am spending more on good (more comfortable, better fitting, better looking) denim, and good shoes and have some nice dress shirts for going out but day to day, I wear fewer collars than I ever have and don't miss them at all.

Outside of work/around the house, I have to admit I love Lululemon stuff (not yoga pants), it's comfy as hell.

So short story, I think my clothes are mostly better quality all around but I look really casual more often than not.

I came home with 2 new pairs of NB and EVERYONE asks me about them, younger and my esp my age,
I'm not stumping for NB, but there is a wide variation in style within the brand, including the "I'm old so I'm wearing ultra white big sneakers with a huge N on the side"

I'm not stumping for NB, but there is a wide variation in style within the brand, including the "I'm old so I'm wearing ultra white big sneakers with a huge N on the side"

for sure. they still got the Grass Cutters on lock for the older crowd... but also have some crazy stylish kicks too. love my NB

I've always wanted to be a wannabe sneakerhead, but this year leaned into the very narrow niche of Luka branded Jordans. Have about 20 pairs of Luka 1s and 2s, with all different colorways. Still khakis and polos at work, but now my shoes match my shirts most days, or go with my craziest colorways with black or gray polos. My boss gets a kick out of it almost everyday, and dates tend to say something positive, so I guess I'm doing something right.

I am moving away from printed shirts and merging solids into the rotation. So I've sat out the T-**** exchange the past few years.
I also am going with more simple classic casual shoes ie white Chuck Taylors, Stan Smiths and Aire Force 1's.

Adults who are borderline out of shape or hiding their waistline tend to not change their style much, whatever style that is
Adults who perhaps transform physically over time, or are just in great shape to start with, they tend to change their appearances
When you fit into the designer clothes and trendy new styles, your appearance will evolve or change over time
Just my observations

Dramatically.

I still can't believe I wore cargo pants/shorts and graphic tees into my mid 30s. I looked like an overgrown did with my sense of style.

Currently in love with Lululemon ABC performance chinos/pants (or similar) and Merino Wool V-neck shirt and long sleeve "T-Shirts" from brands like Woolly. Finish off with merino socks and Cole Haan Zerogrand oxfords.

Still Charles Thyrwitt or TM Lewin for dress shirts. Can't be beat for value / aesthetic / quality.

I don't think I own a pair of jeans anymore. Just not nearly as comfortable.

When it's really hot my go to is Bella + Canvas blend v-neck T-Shirts and Lululemon ABC shorts.

Last edited:
Style?

Im so thankful I get to wear scrubs to work every day.......I HATE shopping/spending money on clothes, unless it's outdoor gear related......so yea my style would be that of a poor 20 year old college kid. My wife loves it! Lol

Jeans and T shirts.
I’d been wearing climbing pants and t-shirts for most of the last 20 years. Rarely wore shorts, or collared shirts. Hospital provided scrubs at work.

I hadn’t worn jeans at all in that time, but decided to buy a couple pair about a year ago. Bought some new shorts and aloha shirts as well.

Now all I wear are jeans and shorts. Still mostly wear t shirts, but dress up more often with the aloha shirts, which go great with jeans.

Lastly, I bought several sets of Figs scrubs.

All these changes in my early 50s. I like that contemporary clothing tends to be more fitted, and offers more colors than blue/grey/black/khaki.

One clothing trend I refuse to embrace: joggers.

Last edited:
I got fatter, so my clothes are now more... let's call them "fitted". And my hair is thinner, so my lifetime of longer hair is over too.

Otherwise, pretty much unchanged.

Except for the Prince Albert.

Going to office? Joggers or jeans and a polo with shoes that don't require socks (washable, they're great... look 'em up - Psudo brand)

Working from home but need to pick up the son at school, maybe go get some food or go to Target? Shorts, t-shirt, sandals (even in the winter, thanks SoCal)

Going to jobsite? Jeans, polo, low-rise sh*tkickers

Going out to bar with buddies? Jeans, t-shirt, hat, Chuck Taylors or Vans

Used to wear khakis / long-sleeve button-down for office garb but not at the gig I'm at now.

Don't think I'll ever change. I'm 50 and feel like I still have some SoCal vibe style. :oldunsure:

53, here. I went full Steampunk style last Fall, not looking back. Got some weird looks the first couple weeks at hockey and the grocery store, but I figure that's their problem not mine.
Seems like a bold move, especially if you were fairly traditional prior. What motivated this move?

I always had the scrawniest legs and never ever wore shorts. It could be 90 out and I’m in pants. Last two years I worked my butt off, legs twice a week at the gym. For me they are pretty jacked now, probably normal for most people but it can be ten below zero out and I’m wearing Vuori mid thigh shorts.

53, here. I went full Steampunk style last Fall, not looking back. Got some weird looks the first couple weeks at hockey and the grocery store, but I figure that's their problem not mine.
Seems like a bold move, especially if you were fairly traditional prior. What motivated this move?
I've always had a thing for goggles and top hats. I think I woke up one day, realized I wasn't getting any younger and just said...yeah, let's do this.

I grew a 🧔‍♂️
Otherwise, not a bit really. I’m the same size as in college, can literally fit into the same suit. Been shaving my head for 26 years now.
Coincidentally, been with my wife 26 years now. 🤔

Yeah, I went from a guy who was still wearing khakis and cords in '06 or so to exclusively jeans. Now I'm out of style again.

Dammit.

Don't care.

Yeah I would say I’m always evolving a little to trends. I don’t stick right to them, many are ridiculous but I’m also not trying to look like the person who last updated their wardrobe a decade ago either.

Lot of this probably depends on whether you're single. I broke up with my last long-term gf, dropped about 50 lbs and gave pretty much all my clothes to goodwill and started over. New stuff is more tailored, colors are intentional, and the casual clothes that I wear out of the house are slightly dressier. Before that, I pretty much dressed like I was coming off of a golf course half the time and was just a slob the other half.

For the last 7/8 years, I've been a shorts and long sleeve t-shirt or 3/4 zip and a hat guy (tennis shoes in the winter, flip flops in the summer).

For christmas my boys got me a couple of pairs of Nike active / golf pants, they said "you need to be able to look sort of dressed up sometimes".

Now I look like a 55 year old Jordan Spieth (or basketball coach), but it seems to have went over well.

They are trying to talk me into cowboy boots and jeans next..............

Users who are viewing this thread