What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Explosion in Downtown Nashville (1 Viewer)

Everyone likes to hate on Facebook like your crazy uncle didn't email something with 15 fwds in the title that was every bit as bad before they found Facebook.  They didn't create the content they just created a more targeted platform for it to spread.  If they shut down tomorrow the next social media option would fill the void. 

Facebook is the world’s most advanced persuasion machine. It has so much deterministic data it can figure out ways to predict your response to precise methods of persuasion, and then it does by selling you as a product to the highest bidder.

It's not the talking-crazy part that's the problem. It's that the "talking crazy" folks used to be isolated and that their musings rarely reached any kind of critical mass in the wider world of ideas. Today, social media not only shows the "talking crazy" folks that there are many like minds out there ... but also that there are several avenues of idea-vetting that get treated online as equally rigorous and righteous.

I mean I don't know about that.  There are plenty of other options that don't have the problems Facebook has created.  Heck even their own Instagram is order of magnitude's better.  Facebook's bad because the people that run Facebook want it to be bad because that bad algorithm increases revenue based off the ad solicition policies Facebook has put in place.  It's a self-reinforcing feedback loop that Facebook chooses to run.  It not the platform that's bad, but rather the feedback loop they run.       
The recent documentary "The Social Dilemma" covers a lot of this, as told by a great many people in the industry responsible for it. Absolutely horrifying movie- but helps explain how the revenue incentivized algorithms help push people's feeds more and more down polarizing channels. Based on the movie, Sammy's right here- despite the self-admitted best intentions of it's creators and their awareness of how dark it's gotten, they still haven't changed the algorithms.

The whole thing needs a reboot.

And I do highly recommend seeing the movie.

Bodycam footage released...

Sorry to get away from the FB talk.

Body cam footage released showing officers clearing the area...crazy stuff as you see officers walk right past the RV minutes before it goes off, you hear the warning coming from the thing.  Then as he is doing something in his trunk...the blast goes off.  You see the immediate aftermath, people fleeing that were in whatever buildings.  Just crazy to see.

GB those officers who calmly worked to save people and put themselves in danger doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bodycam footage released...

Sorry to get away from the FB talk.

Body cam footage released showing officers clearing the area...crazy stuff as you see officers walk right past the RV minutes before it goes off, you hear the warning coming from the thing.  Then as he is doing something in his trunk...the blast goes off.  You see the immediate aftermath, people fleeing that were in whatever buildings.  Just crazy to see.

GB those officers who calmly worked to save people and put themselves in danger doing so.
At any point does it show a guided missile incoming? Do you see the contrail? Do you see or hear a military plane anywhere? I guess they could have launched from a sub off the coast but I assume someone would track that and ask questions & such. Asking for a friend  :tinfoilhat:

The recent documentary "The Social Dilemma" covers a lot of this, as told by a great many people in the industry responsible for it. Absolutely horrifying movie- but helps explain how the revenue incentivized algorithms help push people's feeds more and more down polarizing channels. Based on the movie, Sammy's right here- despite the self-admitted best intentions of it's creators and their awareness of how dark it's gotten, they still haven't changed the algorithms.

The whole thing needs a reboot.

And I do highly recommend seeing the movie.
There is a podcast called Rabbit Hole that does an even deeper job at this and without the campy scenes with Vincent Kartheiser

what the hell kind of friend circle do you have these days that this is your facebook?

mine is full of pictures of my friends families on vacation, their pets and ads from sneaker companies. 
I don't get this thread either.  Maybe because I scroll past and don't respond to any political posts...FB sorts them out to some degree?

mr. furley said:
you can't even out loud wonder about the geopolitics of Malawi without someone condescendingly treating you like an idiot for not knowing their entire history
There is an obvious follow up to this post. But, honestly I did not want to invest the 10 seconds googling Malawi politics. :kicksrock:

A seemingly good man who was made an outlaw and radicalized by The War on Drugs.  A high percentage of both international and domestic terrorists are a direct result of our unempathetic military and police.

Anthony Warner's girlfriend warned police he was building bombs in his RV in August 2019

Police took the report, went to his house, but he wouldn't open the door to talk to them. They closed the case as "unfounded" and forwarded the info the FBI, who had no files on Warner.

Top notch police work there fellas.
From the article:

"Police claimed Throckmorton would not allow his client to consent to a search - but Throckmorton insists that is not true.

"He was not a current client of mine at that point in time," Throckmorton told NewsChannel 5 Investigates Tuesday.

"I certainly would never have told them not to check it out when I'm the one who said go the hell over there and find out what's going on," Throckmorton said."

Someone is lying.

From the article:

"Police claimed Throckmorton would not allow his client to consent to a search - but Throckmorton insists that is not true.

"He was not a current client of mine at that point in time," Throckmorton told NewsChannel 5 Investigates Tuesday.

Someone is lying.
I wouldn't go so far as to say someone is lying. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. For example, if the police thought Throckmorton represented Warner when he didn't actually at that time, Throckmorton may have said something like "I can't tell him to give you permission (because I don't represent him)" and that could have been heard by the police as "He doesn't consent to a search". 

I wouldn't go so far as to say someone is lying. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. For example, if the police thought Throckmorton represented Warner when he didn't actually at that time, Throckmorton may have said something like "I can't tell him to give you permission (because I don't represent him)" and that could have been heard by the police as "He doesn't consent to a search". 
A lot more information in this article.

I’d say the story from the police sounds like they are trying to cover their butts. If Throckmorton was representing the woman during a domestic dispute, it seems unlikely he was also representing Warner.

But honestly I’m not sure how much the police should be blamed. Sounds like there was a domestic dispute and the girlfriend DID have a mental health crisis as part of that. The police then went to investigate her claims but weren’t given access and the FBI had nothing on Warner. I seriously doubt they would have received a warrant to search his house based off of a single claim made by a girlfriend having a mental health crisis.

It's not the talking-crazy part that's the problem. It's that the "talking crazy" folks used to be isolated and that their musings rarely reached any kind of critical mass in the wider world of ideas. Today, social media not only shows the "talking crazy" folks that there are many like minds out there ... but also that there are several avenues of idea-vetting that get treated online as equally rigorous and righteous.
Agreed.  

A lot more information in this article.

I’d say the story from the police sounds like they are trying to cover their butts. If Throckmorton was representing the woman during a domestic dispute, it seems unlikely he was also representing Warner.

But honestly I’m not sure how much the police should be blamed. Sounds like there was a domestic dispute and the girlfriend DID have a mental health crisis as part of that. The police then went to investigate her claims but weren’t given access and the FBI had nothing on Warner. I seriously doubt they would have received a warrant to search his house based off of a single claim made by a girlfriend having a mental health crisis.
Yeah...police in a very tough spot for things like that.

My concern is less that report...but the combination of that, and how someone purchases and acquires enough materials to make a bomb that big without setting off red flags.  Especially if we have that police report and where FBI were contacted as well.

And they are getting promoted by high profile people.

pretty crazy how quickly this fell off the radar
Just came to post this same thing :kicksrock:
The Nashville bombing is more or less solved, isn't it? And the perpetrator is deceased, so there's no coverage of a trial or anything.

It was similar with the Las Vegas hotel shooter -- it was known quickly who did it, and there was some digging of the guy's background in the aftermath. But again, the shooter was deceased.

I guess what can seem weird is that these huge crimes don't lead to some kind of unraveling of a grand scheme or a big conspiracy. It just seems unfathomable that one person, basically living in their own head and getting little to no outside help, can cause so much damage and/or take so many lives. It can seem like there MUST be something bigger or more overarching going on ... but counterintuitively, often there is nothing bigger going on at all.

The Nashville bombing is more or less solved, isn't it? And the perpetrator is deceased, so there's no coverage of a trial or anything.

It was similar with the Las Vegas hotel shooter -- it was known quickly who did it, and there was some digging of the guy's background in the aftermath. But again, the shooter was deceased.

I guess what can seem weird is that these huge crimes don't lead to some kind of unraveling of a grand scheme or a big conspiracy. It just seems unfathomable that one person, basically living in their own head and getting little to no outside help, can cause so much damage and/or take so many lives. It can seem like there MUST be something bigger or more overarching going on ... but counterintuitively, often there is nothing bigger going on at all.
What was his motive? Just mad at the world?

What was his motive? Just mad at the world?
That's the hard part about mentally processing both events (Nashville and Las Vegas) .... we just don't know what the motives really were. The perpetrators were deceased. Questions about motive are essentially unanswerable.

And some other stuff became just a little bigger as well.

How convenient 

yeah, i think so.  

guess it just feels weird that a massive explosion in the downtown of a major US city would just disappear from the news after basically 3 days.

not for any conspiratorial reasons.. just.. amazed by how quickly we tilt from one tragedy to the next in the US.

not for any conspiratorial reasons.. just.. amazed by how quickly we tilt from one tragedy to the next in the US.
This is something different, I think. Correct or not ... there seemed to be a lot fewer public tragedies in years past. That might well be an illusion of memory -- it could be instead that in a pre-Internet world, we simply knew less and found out about fewer things that today would go viral for a week.

I think it's a good thing. One thing these people crave, even as they plan their demise, is going out in a blaze of glory, their name splashed on front pages throughout the country. Don't give it to them. Let them die in relative obscurity. Do it enough, and hopefully it will dissuade the next nutjob that was thinking of taking a similar action.

Users who are viewing this thread