What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

False Narratives, The Real Issue with MSM (1 Viewer)

The PSF needs new, well written and interesting OP’s from different perspectives, so I think this is a good post. The only thing I’ll point out is that with this specific instance it’s clear that Charlottesville shaded everyone’s thinking on the 2nd Amendment protest. It’s clear that some in the media, and maybe some in law enforcement, were concerned about a repeat.

The other point is just the actual practical problem of writing an article. It’s inevitable that concerns or fears will come out in the narrative, editorialized portion of an article, either those of the writer or the readership.  Try this exercise with a sports article or something else that’s considered a neutral subject. It’s not easy to write something lengthy, detailed and interesting while being completely neutral and without injecting POV. 

Ok, here is the source article I found yesterday and it does contain the video ciip of the news cast.  The sentence starts at the 20 sceond mark and it sounded like 'AND' to me.  
Yes, it sounded like a garbled AND, but the sentence doesn't rreally make much sense. Typically there is a description of the threats when discussing these things. Like "threats of violence" or "threats of withholding money" or "threats of prosecution".

Juxtatarot said:
How often do you think the over-hyping is due to political bias as opposed to just trying to get ratings/clicks?
Might be a little of both.    For example when there is a police shooting and it is a white cop shooting a white man, or a black cop shooting a black man the title says "Police involved in shooting motorist in Chicago"  or wherever.   If is white cop shoot a black man it is "White police officer shoots black motorist"   

No shootings are good but I always wondered why they only give the race of the cop involved when they are white and the perp is black?  Is that for ratings and clicks or to stir racial tensions? It is puzzling.

I haven't been following the Virginia story, and there's already a thread on it, so I'll mention another, less partisan (but no less pernicious) version of media framing:

Local paper's headline after most recent Democratic debate: "DEMOCRATS OFFER SUBSTANCE BUT FEW FIREWORKS FOR UNDECIDED VOTERS AT SEVENTH DEBATE"

The amazing thing is, they could have changed the entire tenor of the headline by simply substituting in "and" for "but". Instead, it furthers the politics-as-entertainment narrative, where the lack of drama is seen as inherently bad. We saw something similar with the coverage of Mueller's testimony last year, but at least in that case you could make the argument that the hearing was largely designed as a media event. In this case, the headline even acknowledges that the goal of the debate is to reach undecided voters. Giving those voters substance without the distraction of "fireworks" should be seen as a good thing!

She is not the MSM obviously, but she is heavily followed and reported on.  So when she paints a false narrative of a bunch of people waving their guns (basically true) and Confederate flags (maybe one or two out of 20,000, so not truthful) and that the police acted like bigots and stirred anger in their dignified rally, she adds flames and misinformation to how the MSM spins the story.   The thread on this forum reflected a lot of the fear that was being perpetuated.  So no, not the traditional MSM, but still contributing to this spin. 
Are you familiar with Stephen Miller's work?

Might be a little of both.    For example when there is a police shooting and it is a white cop shooting a white man, or a black cop shooting a black man the title says "Police involved in shooting motorist in Chicago"  or wherever.   If is white cop shoot a black man it is "White police officer shoots black motorist"   

No shootings are good but I always wondered why they only give the race of the cop involved when they are white and the perp is black?  Is that for ratings and clicks or to stir racial tensions? It is puzzling.
I mean, there's always going to be a tension between creating narratives vs. reflecting existing ones. There have been a number of high-profile national stories in recent years involving white cops shooting black civilians, and in many of those cases the shootings have resulted in protests or even violence. So it's certainly more newsworthy if there's another one of those types of incidents.

I'm not saying the media is always justified in doing it, or that there aren't responsible and irresponsible ways to report these kinds of stories. But I also don't think it's realistic for the media to ignore context in order to deliberately avoid certain narratives.

I mean, there's always going to be a tension between creating narratives vs. reflecting existing ones. There have been a number of high-profile national stories in recent years involving white cops shooting black civilians, and in many of those cases the shootings have resulted in protests or even violence. So it's certainly more newsworthy if there's another one of those types of incidents.

I'm not saying the media is always justified in doing it, or that there aren't responsible and irresponsible ways to report these kinds of stories. But I also don't think it's realistic for the media to ignore context in order to deliberately avoid certain narratives.
I understand but the media seems to create the tensions at times.  I mean 2 years ago where I live a black cop shot an unarmed man 6 times.  Both were black and it did not even make the front page on the news.  Just a blurb.  I feel the person who was shot at least deserves the same coverage. No protest or outrage but still a man is dead.

I understand but the media seems to create the tensions at times.  I mean 2 years ago where I live a black cop shot an unarmed man 6 times.  Both were black and it did not even make the front page on the news.  Just a blurb.  I feel the person who was shot at least deserves the same coverage. No protest or outrage but still a man is dead.
if a dog bites a man, it doesn't make the paper.  If a man bites a dog - now you've got something.

Users who are viewing this thread